Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion

Old 5th May 2006, 06:00 PM   #1
PhaeThorn

Location: This pwnage was given to you by 1 of 3 mutated thievery players.
TH-Asylum Version 2 [New Map]

Read me:
It's 12 'o clock here, wich means that in the Netherlands the thievery weekend just started. A week or so ago I thought it would be a good time to release one of the oldest maps on my harddisk, an edited version of asylum. Before you read on ( and download the map ) please note the following things:
  • This is not an official release and I do not have the intention of replacing the old asylum map.
  • There are one or two things in this map that could cause a little bit of FPS drop for some computers. If this map is unplayable for you, i'm terribly sorry.
  • This was the first map I mapped on, it was the map I used to learn UED. There are a lot of custom things in the map because I was trying to find out what is possible with ued and thievery. I couldn't have done that without the help of many people ... but since my memory fails me, I cannot name any names. I started mapping on this map 3 years ago.
  • I never planned on releasing the map ... untill last week.

The map:
There! now that's over with, enjoy the map! The main change in the map is that there are a few new area's. There is one less vacine for thieves to steal, so guards have a bigger chance of guarding them. The AI's can actually go inside the greenhouse and doctors house now. The cells have backdoors now, so there is another way in. Instead of the spidercell, Bruno now spawns in a new area. And the last thing i'll tell you is that the cell doors are now fully solid so you cannot jump or shoot through them anymore. I cannot list the other changes, for it would not only be boring, it's also a big list. Just enjoy the map and look for the changes yourself.
  • Hint: There are hidden things in the map ... try to read scrolls and books if you wish.

Download:

Download link 1: My own FTP
Download link 2: Brody's thievery customs.

ps1: The "ThAsylum2.u" file goes in the system folder.
ps2: Could all servers admins please use this map in the rotation for atleast the thievery weekend? Thanks
ps3: I'm uploading the map to brody's thievery customs too, so a second download link will be available.
On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Last edited by PhaeThorn; 7th May 2006 at 06:45 PM.
PhaeThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 06:17 PM   #2
Beowulf

Originally Posted by PhaeThorn:
OMG, this map is so new, the first post in this topic isn't even finished!

( Writing the text right now ... have patience ... )
So new I was allowed to test it.. what one year ago?
Hope you changed your ugly taste on textures.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 06:18 PM   #3
PhaeThorn

Originally Posted by Beowulf:
So new I was allowed to test it.. what one year ago?
Hope you changed your ugly taste on textures.
Nop, thank god I didn't
On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 5th May 2006, 06:32 PM   #4
Bandit

Now map looks better. Good Job PhaeThorn!

Last edited by Bandit; 5th May 2006 at 06:46 PM.
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 07:31 PM   #5
Zidane

Map looks much nicer now, in my opinion, and the solid doors ought to help at least with one aspect of realism, anyway. Took a loooong look through and I like what's been added. How good this will be for online play, I don't know; we need some people to play this during this weekend!

(Nice secrets about the place, I always enjoy searching for them )

I don't want to spoil anything for those who haven't checked it out yet so I won't say any more here.
Old 5th May 2006, 07:39 PM   #6
BrokenArts
Administrator

This is nothing but a fun map. Indeed. I had the pleasure of helping Phae testing thing from almost the beginning Phae?

I love all the custom stuff Phae, from the thieves, and yeah, I won't say anything more.

Phae has done an excellent job. I appreciate you getting this done Phae, finishing it, and releasing it in time for this weekend.

Round of applause for Phae!!
BrokenArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 09:54 PM   #7
Shug

Amazing, I maxed out my connection on your FTP; Phae you rogue
Shug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 10:18 PM   #8
BrokenArts
Administrator

lol
Old 5th May 2006, 10:36 PM   #9
Athelstone

Excellent work Phae
Athelstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 12:36 AM   #10
-KewlAzMe-

WOW.. nice work on that!
A few things, Im sure you had reason for but the reason isn't quite clear, unless its just biased on your routes and such.

1. The area on the main level where you get the invisi and health pot in the wooden chest (the room next to the greenhouse) you changed the way the gates swung open. Seems harder to escape as its no longer a fluid open and shut while running.

2. in the lower dining area you have the vent open down instead of up. While that may help escape when exiting that way, it also removes a valuable hiding spot and escape going into the vents

3. the new vaccines area a little too green.. green bottle, green smoke, harder to see from a distance as the smoke isn't rendered as far as the color of the bottle (i think)

4. You removed the inner buttons on the lift, a valuable escape trick was to open the top gate while the lift was down.. and push that button to open the lower gate before the lift started going up.

Other than that its friggin sweet.. and im sure there are reasons for the above.. and we will probably have to get used to it.. but i figured I'd at least share my thoughts.

good job

p.s. The map doesnt seem to appear in BDBMapVote or in the WebAdmin.. and do we need to push the U file?
Old 6th May 2006, 04:13 AM   #11
Alex-X-x
Banned

i dont really liked asy, but v2 is pretty nice! Gj Phae!!!
Alex-X-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 04:16 AM   #12
bigfoot

Phae, the famous Phae, I LOVE YOU !
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 08:14 AM   #13
PhaeThorn

Quote:
1. The area on the main level where you get the invisi and health pot in the wooden chest (the room next to the greenhouse) you changed the way the gates swung open. Seems harder to escape as its no longer a fluid open and shut while running.
True dat. I admit I don't exactly know why I changed certain things. The fluid escape is indeed gone, you're right about that. You're also right that the door has changed because of the AI patrol. It will simply keep running in the door if it hits an open door. Maybe there is an easy fix for that, but like I said .. I changed it almost in the beginning.

Quote:
2. in the lower dining area you have the vent open down instead of up. While that may help escape when exiting that way, it also removes a valuable hiding spot and escape going into the vents
The reaosn why I changed the vents is because of two reasons. It's a realistic movement and it's easier to get in now. Though the negative side is indeed that you can no longer crawl on top of it ... I didn't think about that.

Quote:
3. the new vaccines area a little too green.. green bottle, green smoke, harder to see from a distance as the smoke isn't rendered as far as the color of the bottle (i think)
The doc didn't want any more vacs to get stolen. He ordered the captain to change the colour of the va.... ok, that makes no sense. I have no answer for this one ... apart from "it's not really that hard". Then again I mostly played in single player so I wouldn't know how the map plays in multiplayer.

Quote:
4. You removed the inner buttons on the lift, a valuable escape trick was to open the top gate while the lift was down.. and push that button to open the lower gate before the lift started going up.
I did not like the old elevator very much but I do like the new one. It's not only eyecandy, it's also a new system that I personaly like more. The reason why there are no inner buttons is that they are not needed anymore. There is no button to open any doors, they automaticly open so that they are never shut unless the elevator is either above or below them. I know that the elevator isn't a valuable escape anymore, it balances things a bit out for the guards

Quote:
p.s. The map doesnt seem to appear in BDBMapVote or in the WebAdmin.. and do we need to push the U file?
I'm no server admin ... so I don't know. I don't even know what you mean with pushing the .u file .... but you NEED that .u file. So don't get rid of it ( if that's what you meant )

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 6th May 2006, 09:13 AM   #14
Schleicher

I seriously question your motives for not "outing" this earlier

Theres some stuff here and there i didnt like (choice of textures, some blandness and nitpickery like that) but overall imho you did some good fleshing out and sound additions to the map. The most blaring and obvious difference which made me think "Why oh why wasnt this in the map in the first place" are the extra arches in the entrance hall. I blame you for not releasing your version earlier so it could influence the reworking of the map for 1.6
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 09:20 AM   #15
PhaeThorn

Like I said, it's not an official release and it's not a replacement of the "old" asylum. I do not want it to be

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 6th May 2006, 09:27 AM   #16
-KewlAzMe-

pushing the U file means to add it to serverpackages=TH-asylum-2.u so that when the map loads online, it also forces other clients to load that file. But im not sure how it works for maps... it may autoload it... i dont have it pushed and the map seems to work fine. i definitely like the eye candyness of the new lift.. i like the new sound too .

It was also quite a surprise when an AI followed me into the greenhouse! does the spider also have access to that room? how about the Doctor's study? can AI and spiders go there too?... no more safe zones!! which makes sense logically. curious to see how it affects gameplay
Old 6th May 2006, 09:27 AM   #17
Schleicher

Sorry. Its just im still playing UT2004 from time to time and when i see so called Mapping clans churn out crap like Beta_Funnel_2k3 by the dozen inheriting the complexity of the first Doom 1 level made in a text editor, faintly illuminated in gentle full bright light, barfed over with items...

What i wanna say, every good map held back is a crime to humanity !
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 09:57 AM   #18
BrokenArts
Administrator

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Schleicher:
What i wanna say, every good map held back is a crime to humanity !
I agree, I told him a long time ago, get this finished, people will LOVE it.
Old 6th May 2006, 10:06 AM   #19
PhaeThorn

Originally Posted by BrokenArts:
I agree, I told him a long time ago, get this finished, people will LOVE it.
So far 2 people don't

They have the right not to like the map, so this post isn't serious :-P

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 6th May 2006, 11:03 AM   #20
MortalMonkey

Location: A + Normal( B - A ) * ((( B - A ) dot ( P - A )) / VSize( A - B ))
I knew it!

I recognized the first screenie from the original Asylum, oh how I wished those wooden beams were lower so one could rope on top of them.
Old 6th May 2006, 12:18 PM   #21
MontyPython

Awesome.

Very detailed, better overall ambiance. Many small, subtle improvements that makes it come alive.

Gotta like the green apples!
Old 6th May 2006, 12:24 PM   #22
BrokenArts
Administrator

Don't forget to stop by the kitchen, in case you get hungry, you can.....

toss the dough on the fire, to bake the bread.
Old 6th May 2006, 12:39 PM   #23
PhaeThorn

Originally Posted by BrokenArts:
Don't forget to stop by the kitchen, in case you get hungry, you can.....

toss the dough on the fire, to bake the bread.
Not only that

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 6th May 2006, 12:41 PM   #24
BrokenArts
Administrator

Not only that
Hah, I won't say anything more, let them figure it out.
Old 6th May 2006, 02:10 PM   #25
-KewlAzMe-

lol thats the one (and only ) thing i like about phae.. his easter egg imagination
Old 6th May 2006, 02:27 PM   #26
Master-Builder

Hint: There are hidden things in the map ... try to read scrolls and books if you wish.
Why am i not surprised?!
Master-Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 02:44 PM   #27
necros

Phae has an egg-laying problem.

although his theatre egg was quite cool! :thumbsup:
Old 6th May 2006, 02:59 PM   #28
MontyPython

omg! arx fatalis!!
Old 7th May 2006, 06:11 PM   #29
Keggie

looks better now think i still prefer the original spider skins tho.

the room with chest which has health and invis in - the doors (not sure what you call them) in the wall that pull out - i can see straight through them .

and the spiders in the vent seem to be invisable till i walk over them - that suposed to be like that?

not sure if the thieves need a third entrance to the cells as they normaly get in easy anyway.

Looks really good tho
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2006, 06:43 PM   #30
PhaeThorn

Originally Posted by keg:
looks better now think i still prefer the original spider skins tho.
I thought the old skin was lacking detail but I've heard that some people like the old skin better. It's a matter of preferences I guess. Good thing that the other maps still have the old skin .
 Quote:
the room with chest which has health and invis in - the doors (not sure what you call them) in the wall that pull out - i can see straight through them
I noticed this once ... must be a bug that crawled in into the latest build. Does it happen all the time you open the coffins?
 Quote:
and the spiders in the vent seem to be invisable till i walk over them - that suposed to be like that?
The spiders are not invisible at all. They're just hiding in their lairs, so that's why they're not "visible" like they used to be. Just crawl slowly and you'll see them come out of their lairs.
 Quote:
not sure if the thieves need a third entrance to the cells as they normaly get in easy anyway.
I've been wondering about that myself, so I get your point. Back in the time when I started mapping on the map a lot of people were talking about a third entrance. That is the reason why it's in the cells now. Times have changed a bit though ... but I kept the doors in it.

Call 0900-PHAE