• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FistaKufs
    formerly HomeSkillet
    • Sep 2003

vid card

so i baught doom 3 and i can't run it. so i have to buy a video card. i'm on a slim budget. i was thinking i would buy this card. http://www.techonweb.com/products/pr...=B43693&src=FG this is my first card i'm buying so let me know if it is a decent card for some decent cash.
    I have sex with my hand!
  • Thief13x
    • Jan 2003

.....Homeskillet you really should consult me before making rash posts like this....I would recommend this card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4963&CatId=880 or This one...

"It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

• Rodent
      • Jan 2003

Do you have a PCI-E capable motherboard? Because that's a PCI Express card you're looking at. I find it surprising that a computer with a PCI-E motherboard couldn't run Doom3 at all.

In any case, for a bit of extra cash, I'd pick up the 6600GT for a significant performance increase over the 6600.
      Nightwarden,
      .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
      - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

• WildBill
        • Jan 2003

The GeForce 6600GT is the best card for the price at the moment, either AGP or PCI Express.
        Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

• FistaKufs
          formerly HomeSkillet
          • Sep 2003

What about the card timmy suggested? would that be a decent card?

or can anyone suggest a good card?
          I have sex with my hand!

Comment

• WildBill
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by HomeSkillet
            What about the card timmy suggested? would that be a decent card?
            Bluntly, no.
            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

• Nachimir
              • Jan 2003

HS, WildBill knows what he's talking about.

The Geforce 5200 was designed to show off DirectX9 pixel shaders, but can't run them adequately. Thief : DS runs like a dog with that card and so does Doom3; it's only just capable of running UT2K4 with normal settings.

Comment

• Hybrid
                • Jan 2003

FX 5200 suxorz.

Comment

• Shug
                  • Jan 2003

I run a Sparkle 6600GT - it's a solid card, I can get up to 70fps in Thievery (although the rest of the rig supports it very well). I'd definitely recommend a 6600GT to anybody with the cash. www.newegg.com seems to be the best/cheapest place to buy, provided you live in the US as you do.
                  Nightmaster,
                  .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                  - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

• FistaKufs
                    formerly HomeSkillet
                    • Sep 2003

Ok thanks for the site shug i think i'm gonna get this card. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduc...122-206&DEPA=1
                    you get up to 80fps a second which will be really cool. the only thing is though it's 200 bucks so i think i'll wait till next check, or i might go splurge not sure yet though. i'm not in a hurry or anything.
                    I have sex with my hand!

Comment

• Machine
                      • Jan 2003

I have a Hercules 9600Pro, it uses the ATI Chipset and runs both T3, and D3 very well. There are many many posts on this forum tho HS about GFX cards.
                      ~TuF~

Comment

• Thief13x
                        • Jan 2003

Yeah, I went cheap when I bought the 5200. Although I have a 1.2 ghz processor, and that always appears to be the limiting device. Of course, the newest game iver ever played on it has been battlefield 1942 which ran nicely at full settings.
                        "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

• okih-imus
                          • Sep 2003

What kind of card do you have? I have an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX and I can run Doom3 (but it sucks).

Comment

• Buho
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Thief13x
                            .....Homeskillet you really should consult me before making rash posts like this....I would recommend this card http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4963&CatId=880 or This one...

Can this card run Thievary??????1?
                            "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Working...
                            X