Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion

Old 29th Aug 2015, 03:51 PM   #1
Przemek557

New Thievery UT Server Browser

Hello everyone,

As far as I know, if people want to check out servers' status, and see if there is anyone playing they are forced to do it in an uncomfortable way. Some do it by running the game and checking servers in "Find Internet games/Favorites", some use 3rd party software like utservermonitor etc. Me, I find the lack of Bandit's website with online server browser a huge gap in the way Thievery lives (does it any longer?). To come across this problem I have recently created an online server browser, which does not require any plugins, adobe flash, java or anything like that - all you need to do is to visit the website and check servers. It was created from scratch, and is designed towards Thievery, meaning it displays most important information you would like to know about servers. You can check it out (and obligatory bookmark it in your browser ) at http://thievery.apphb.com

I strongly invite you guys to use this website whenever you want to play - I believe this is something that can slightly increase the extremely low player count I have seen in last months.

Sound alarm feature
The website also features setting a sound alarm if any server gets populated - you may also specify the minimum number of players to trigger the alarm. This means that you can enter the website, set up an alarm for - let's say - 3 players online, and do whatever else you like, while having the website open in another tab. As soon as at least 3 players show up, you will get a sound notification.

Why not use gametracker instead?
Well, first of all, the website is more user-friendly, you have all servers in one place. Additionally the servers are pinged in real time (gametracker pings them periodically, once a few minutes, meaning you don't receive up to date information). Besides the design is Thievery-oriented - players are displayed separately for thieves and guards and you can see vital Thievery settings' values. And, last but not least, gametracker does not have the sound alarm feature.

How long is it going to be available?
The website is hosted with a free web hosting, and won't be ever closed. I will not intentionally close it either, meaning it will be practically available till the end of TUT.

If you don't want to read the whole message and just want the HTTP address, then here it is:
Thievery Server Browser

I would be glad to hear any suggestions and opinions you may have.

Last edited by Przemek557; 2nd Jun 2016 at 02:46 PM.
Przemek557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2015, 05:45 AM   #2
Maxim Pishnyak

Nice job, Haxa!
Maxim Pishnyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Aug 2015, 07:56 AM   #3
Trapmaster

Looks good, nice job 557 .

I do think there's a 1.6 server that Brody still hosts. Maybe it is a good idea to add it to the list. It just had a different port. I think it was port 8888.

Since Bandits site used to be the meeting place for Thievery for years, how about adding a chat to the site? It is a spontanerous idea for later really, but I thought it would be good to have something like this again .
Old 1st Sep 2015, 02:05 PM   #4
Przemek557

I will add Brody's 1.6 servers. Shoutbox is also worth consideration.
Old 2nd Sep 2015, 04:49 AM   #5
Trapmaster

On a side note, theres a bug in thieverys original UDP Server Query that breaks the pattern of the response, and as such, sometimes team player names won't show up anymore.
You might remember it - sometimes player names don't show up on querying.

However, fixing this would be a serverside operation so it cannot be done from the page (except maybe explicitly checking for the error). But unless we don't release a new version, there is no need to fix ths issue for now.
Old 5th Sep 2015, 02:38 AM   #6
NiRa

Good job, you made me want play some TUT nao.

Fear is the mind-killer.
NiRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2015, 02:58 AM   #7
Maxim Pishnyak

Originally Posted by NiRa: ( link to post ) 
Good job, you made me want play some TUT nao.
Nice news.
Maxim Pishnyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2015, 04:21 AM   #8
industrialism

Very nice thank you Przemek!

Hello and cheer up you lot this isn't the end... attached

Antero90 if you want to have a look pm me your email steam/bcg w/e, I'll get it sent out to you like I'd promised, I'm being held up by some very nasty editor errors but the maps alright.

I hope someone fixes Thievery, we've lost way too many players with this patch, compared to all the games out there nothing satisfies on this level, nostalgia aside, just so much opportunity for this on a new engine, it's painful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg soon.jpg (156.4 KB, 21 views)
industrialism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Sep 2015, 03:58 PM   #9
Antero90

Originally Posted by industrialism: ( link to post ) 
Very nice thank you Przemek!

Hello and cheer up you lot this isn't the end... attached

Antero90 if you want to have a look pm me your email steam/bcg w/e, I'll get it sent out to you like I'd promised, I'm being held up by some very nasty editor errors but the maps alright.

I hope someone fixes Thievery, we've lost way too many players with this patch, compared to all the games out there nothing satisfies on this level, nostalgia aside, just so much opportunity for this on a new engine, it's painful.
I... can't find the context my names shows up.

Oh, heck, just PM ne so this thread stays clean.
Old 25th Sep 2015, 03:02 PM   #10
Edy94

For the chat you could also add a "Steam Chat" button that links to "steam://friends/joinchat/103582791433039528" or any other steam group.
Edy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2016, 12:58 PM   #11
Przemek557

As you may have noticed, there are some problems with the website since a few days - it goes down from time to time, and unfortunately I cannot do anything but wait till they fix it. I have also started a mirror website of thievery.somee.com at thievery2.somee.com, so if the former goes down you may try the latter.
Old 8th May 2016, 03:13 AM   #12
FatRatHead

Neither works.
FatRatHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 11:34 AM   #13
Przemek557

Alright, maybe I will just get another hosting. It worked pretty well for a few months, but since a week it is a disaster. Well, it is free, so I couldn't expect too much.

I won't create more mirrors, as it would be pointless to make you try thievery6, thievery7, thievery8 and so on in search of a working server (actually, I don't like the idea of thievery and thievery2 already, it is a poor workaround).

I will let you know, when I sort it out.
Old 2nd Jun 2016, 02:44 PM   #14
Przemek557

New Thievery Server Browser location

It seems it is down again - just as I started to believe it all settled down, and it will be working fine. It looks like it didn't. It is the time to end our about 9 months adventure with somee.com hosting. I'm not going to say it is a piece of shit etc, as I still respect them for hosting websites free of charge. But their service didn't prove reliable enough to host a website, which is something more than a test environment.

I decided to move to appharbor.com, or just apphb.com. Their services seem to be more professional, and while they are still free of charge, they provide a hosting that is fully compatible with my requirements. It isn't that obvious, as for instance, another hosting I tried (it was a paid one) didn't allow server queries, most likely their firewall was blocking UDP requests.

New server browser address is going to be https://thievery.apphb.com, I have also put info at old address that the website has been moved. Will it work better than somee? I strongly believe it will - we will have enough time to try.

There are some differences between those 2 hostings, and all differences are positive
  • No ads - there were ads at somee.com, you could have not noticed it if you had adblock, besides I made a script that's been hiding them as soon as they showed up.
  • HTTPS - some may have already noticed it in the URL I gave above. I know it is very important for some people (for me it is), so here it comes - connection is now protected, meaning your credentials won't fly around the net in plain text when you log in to shoutbox, so no one who happens to stand in the middle will be able to retrieve them.

Once again, new address:
Thievery Server Browser

edit: One important note - the database from somee has been successfully copied to apphb, which means that all accounts and messages are in new location, meaning you may use your thievery.somee.com shoutbox credentials at thievery.apphb.com