Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Discussion

Notices

Old 7th Oct 2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Keggie

Exclamation Nighide Campaign

Welcome to the Nighide Research Facility Marines, This is one of many research facilities for new technology and equipment for use in the IAF and other organizations to combat the bug threat. As part of the company policy each Facility gets in contact to report there status on any upgrades, however this Facility has failed to get in contact with the Main HQ, squads from the NRF have been sent to the area but contact was lost. So they contacted us for help, Your mission is simple, infiltrate the NRF and find out what's going on, scout reports have picked up a large swarm presence, so objective two is to rescue any marines or civilians you find and aid them in any way. Good Luck Marines.

Enjoy and hf
DOWNLOAD HERE
Latest Update - Download Beta 4 here
~Keggie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MapCavens.jpg (13.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg MapLastStand.jpg (11.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg MapMedicalCentre.jpg (8.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg MapOnTheRun.jpg (8.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg MapTrippleReactor.jpg (12.2 KB, 14 views)
Videos - YouTube

Last edited by Keggie; 11th Nov 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2012, 01:49 PM   #2
BiG_D
Super Moderator

This is an awesome surprise
Old 7th Oct 2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Keggie

well hopfully it stays that way and doesnt turn into an awesome disapointment after you have played it
Videos - YouTube
Old 7th Oct 2012, 08:25 PM   #4
Trapmaster

I played through the first map so far. Setting is good as it's not the usual run through a series of rooms. Good starting map so far. Ammo was abit short in the middle of it but that might be normal for me (until I found the room after a gate that needed to be hacked). The AI players had a few problems to get over certain obstacles sometimes (near some stairs). But other than that it worked well.

I was looking for the exit for about 15 minutes, until I got bored and looked up in UED. I found out I needed to destroy the barrels, which I did. The sudden swarm of about ~90-100 aliens killed me though and I had to redo the map .

Second map looks interesting too, might give it a try next time, but not now .
Trapmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Oct 2012, 10:04 AM   #5
Rob

installed on alienswarm.de

testing it...

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Oct 2012, 10:38 AM   #6
lightfoot

First impressions are good. Wow, there is a (nice) campaign lobby, and even an epilogue after the last map.

Found some glitches already, will take down notes, and send you a list, Keggie.

I must say I am impressed. A ten-maps campaign, appearing out of the blue? That's really something.

Rob has installed the camp at the DE server #1. The campaign entry didn't work yet, and if you vote the maps as a CC, you only get 9 map slots. Good enough for testing tho.

So there will be a swarm event this evening, starting off around 20 GMT.
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Oct 2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Keggie

Originally Posted by Trapmaster: ( link to post ) 
I played through the first map so far. Setting is good as it's not the usual run through a series of rooms. Good starting map so far. Ammo was abit short in the middle of it but that might be normal for me (until I found the room after a gate that needed to be hacked). The AI players had a few problems to get over certain obstacles sometimes (near some stairs). But other than that it worked well.
well i tried to make all the maps a little different in one way or another, the first map was suposed to be pretty easy and random, you can run whichever way you want and kill bugs in whichever area. so straight forward path untill the end. there are 2 sections that can be hacked, both have extra bugs and ammo in making the map faster, on the whole tho it's meant as a warm up map, they get harder i also tried to give the tech extra stuff to do, the tech is force needed in.. 2 maps i believe, tripple reactor and record keeping, however some maps have extra hacks spots to activate better stuff, ie sentries and weapon storage rooms

I was looking for the exit for about 15 minutes, until I got bored and looked up in UED. I found out I needed to destroy the barrels, which I did. The sudden swarm of about ~90-100 aliens killed me though and I had to redo the map.
ah bugger! i meant to put in an objective to find a way through the wall... does need somthing there as its not particualy obvious.. theres about 60 bugs there iirc but big swarms die fast when officers use prox mines, ruins the fun!

Second map looks interesting too, might give it a try next time, but not now.
that was the first map prob my least fav now, but requires the most teamwork to make it much easier both halfs of the map are easier if you split into 2 teams (well the first half you have too) it can be anoying to play in single player as you have to set up each marine at a time, other maps you can kinda wing it more.

Originally Posted by Rob: ( link to post ) 
installed on alienswarm.de
thx

Originally Posted by lightfoot: ( link to post ) 
Found some glitches already, will take down notes, and send you a list, Keggie.
yeah pm me or post em here, dont mind, i allready know of a few, once i got enough data i will update them. really need to go over the AI pathing in the vents, keep getting stuck.. rather anoying, even force pathing doesnt work, somtimes the marines try to cut a corner in a vent... also if you have problems with AI on ladders, just keep hitting follow me and they should follow, i meant to double check medical centre ladder as i was having problems with that one..

I must say I am impressed. A ten-maps campaign, appearing out of the blue? That's really something.
well is the nature of how i mod, i start one thing and suddenly it expands to a rather larger mod.. originaly i was planning 1 map, turned into mini 3 map campaign, then lept to a 7 map campagin with a story, and few maps got added. tbh tho there are 2 more maps i was planning they didnt make the 2 month deadline maybe i will make them later... who knows tbh tho i've had ideas for somthing a little different as a follow up campaign but i doubt i will ever make it as the swarm comunity is rather dead, at the end of this campagin you stand with 2 other marines, the next campagin would start where this one ends and you would be controling those 2 marines, they would share some of the 4 class abilites and the campagin would be built for 2 players, so better for online play in small comunities, but as i said.. doubt it will happen, just another idea in my head of thousnds have a ut2k4 mod to finish yet

of the 10 maps tho, queenie/last stand are both rather small, took 2/3 nights each to make, Cavens is prob my favirote map from the sheer randomnes of aliens, and that only took 2 nights to make too..

The campaign entry didn't work yet, and if you vote the maps as a CC, you only get 9 map slots. Good enough for testing tho.
errr have to say i have no server to test it on, do you know which map is missing, and (for rob) is there any usefull info in the log that could identify the problem?
Videos - YouTube
Old 8th Oct 2012, 01:48 PM   #8
Trapmaster

Originally Posted by Keggie: ( link to post ) 
well i tried to make all the maps a little different in one way or another, the first map was suposed to be pretty easy and random
Yes and it was a good introductionary map .

Tell me if you need ressources for a campaign overview map and stuff like this. Maybe I can come up with something but not sure. You know my gfx skills .

ah bugger! i meant to put in an objective to find a way through the wall... does need somthing there as its not particualy obvious.. theres about 60 bugs there iirc but big swarms die fast when officers use prox mines, ruins the fun!
Ah, yeah that could have helped here lol.

that was the first map prob my least fav now, but requires the most teamwork to make it much easier both halfs of the map are easier if you split into 2 teams (well the first half you have too) it can be anoying to play in single player as you have to set up each marine at a time, other maps you can kinda wing it more.
Ah, yeah I noticed that too, on the second try when I realized I needed another marine to open up the door again after hacking the energy back online . Boohoo!
Old 8th Oct 2012, 02:06 PM   #9
lightfoot

keggie/Rob, I suppose the problem with the missing campaign entry in the vote menu is in the server settings, cos in singleplayer I do get that entry in the main menu, and all works fine. The 'medical' mission is not to be found in the menu either, could that be the reason?
Old 8th Oct 2012, 03:47 PM   #10
Felix

Mirror on alienswarm.de

AoNighide Campaign.zip
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Oct 2012, 04:00 PM   #11
NoData

Originally Posted by Felix: ( link to post ) 
Have you completely uploading it? Zip is too small (10mb) and corrupted.
Old 8th Oct 2012, 05:59 PM   #12
Rob

Originally Posted by NoData: ( link to post ) 
HZip is too small (10mb) and corrupted.
yes it is to smal ... i fix it

Old 8th Oct 2012, 07:09 PM   #13
Ki!ler-Mk1

Excellent content, keep up the good work!
Old 8th Oct 2012, 07:53 PM   #14
Keggie

thx
Videos - YouTube
Old 8th Oct 2012, 08:01 PM   #15
lightfoot

we had 10 people on the server tonight, like a real revival party.

maps are nice. well, from what we've seen so far, which wasn't much, cos we haven't been able to beat the 2nd, not even on normal difficulty. but let's blame that on the rustyness for now.

1st one is solid, and comparably easy, which is very okay for a 1st map. Could use a few touches to make it look a bit more interesting, I think, but is already fine enough, once the few glitches are ironed out.

2nd one is really nicely designed, has good ideas, and plays well. could be a little shorter, though, or split in two.

more feedback will come. tomorrow there will be another testing session. be there or be sorry!
Old 10th Oct 2012, 01:08 AM   #16
Fuzzy Bunny

Played with LF, ND, X, and Moses. Twas fun.
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 04:35 AM   #17
Keggie

1st one is solid, and comparably easy, which is very okay for a 1st map. Could use a few touches to make it look a bit more interesting, I think, but is already fine enough, once the few glitches are ironed out.
well i've updated it a little for a updated release later on, added more blocking volumes, adjusted the terrain in places so bugs and humans dont get stuck as much trying to get up the ledges. Also added some replication to the counter so hope it will work. i am aware that the map is.. not very exciting, any thoughts on making it a bit more interesting? how about a queen you have to run past at the end??? no?

2nd one is really nicely designed, has good ideas, and plays well. could be a little shorter, though, or split in two.
that will be altered in next update i think, atm my plans are removing the need for tech after the 1st hack, and ending after the.. how can i say this without spoilers, after the bit everyone said dont change lol, will also be map 3 and have removed T-75 from the start so you cannot take the shortcut, the last half of that map will be 2nd map with new name and will be a little bigger at its start. also got plans for a different type of flare for map 2 (new ones LF, not just extended, these will work a little different)

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bunny: ( link to post ) 
Played with LF, ND, X, and Moses. Twas fun.
glad you liked it, no comments on balance improvments? to easy/hard, long/short? timers to long/short? did you complete it?
Videos - YouTube
Old 10th Oct 2012, 09:46 AM   #18
x-newbie

We played OnTheRun for five hours flat....

The spawn ofc is too high at the holdout.

No team on insane diff will reach the holdout before time is out, so maybe add a minute more?

The railing on the way to first bulkhead needs fixing, add bvs so players cant stuck on the end/start of rail mesh.

And no, we were miserable failures, best chance was like 30 secs before holdout ends, and that with 5 ppl and 2 akiras covering the exit door.

One of the best maps in my book regardless.
Good job.
x-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 01:40 PM   #19
Fuzzy Bunny

glad you liked it, no comments on balance improvments? to easy/hard, long/short? timers to long/short? did you complete it?
I'm going to reserve final judgement for the time being, but I enjoyed it. I'm rusty and making a lot of mistakes, and I'd rather not have that affect my final verdict. The map felt good on normal, except for the 2 minute door holdout extravaganza.

As for the railings, you might try removing their collision and just using long straight blocking volumes along the sides of the platform instead.

We're going to be going at it again tonight, I believe, and I'm going to try and get some SP time in before then.
Old 10th Oct 2012, 04:43 PM   #20
x-newbie

Well i made it to the end in single at 5:30 flat, i had to w8 there with the exit door open for the incoming swarm timer to finish for the mission doesnt completes before that!

Found an exploit obviously to get throught holdout untouched.

Still i think, team should have more time for insane diff.
Old 10th Oct 2012, 07:07 PM   #21
Moses2k

How are we to pronouce the name of your campaign and what is its inspiration?

You probably should run the text in your maps by a Master Speller, such as myself. I noticed at numerous style and spelling errors.

Oh, and it was fun; thank you.
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Oct 2012, 07:30 PM   #22
NoData

On the run;

Many BV need to be fixed, and the camera get stuck in them. The most evident place is when you enter the hive. The top BV of the hive is too low.

Global timer is too short, add a minute.

Final 2 minutes of waiting are too long, and there is way too many aliens. Start by cutting both in half.

All the bulked doors are not set to crush, but just return. It's fine for most of them, but those at the end of the map can be forced open if you put something in the way, like a flaming mines. This break the map.

The trigger called "LotzaBugs2" is well placed, but the bugs linked to it spawn even if there is players in the way. This should be fixed. There is also too many of them.

In the hive, some static mesh are too high (those in the middle of rooms, you can run around them). The camera cant go over and glitch.

The AoAlienSpawner59 and AoAlienSpawner1 are glitchty. The bug get stuck together sometimes. The vent should be a little bit wider, or put the hole and the spawn at the same level as the floor.

The hive on west were the marine must do the welding is kinda weird. The invisible wall need to be removed. Every new players try to go there, but get stuck. Maybe you could add some kind of step (256 UU?) and the aliens jump down to reach the marines. Cut also the amount of alien there a bit.

Good luck.

ND
Old 11th Oct 2012, 10:48 AM   #23
Rob

help needed

Hoi,

today we looked at the ucc.log file to find out why the map AO-NRF-MedicalCentre can not be played in server modus.

Here the hint:

Quote:
Warning: Failed to load 'HourAdara': Can't find file for package 'HourAdara'
Warning: Failed to load 'AO-NRF-MedicalCentre': Can't find file for package 'HourAdara'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary AO-NRF-MedicalCentre.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'HourAdara'
Warning: Error loading AO-NRF-MedicalCentre !
What package ist that ?

Old 11th Oct 2012, 10:58 AM   #24
lightfoot

yea, upload us that package somewhere, or link us to a source, so we all can install it. just as a workaround, to prevent mismatches in this first testing cycle.

in the next version you can mylevel the missing recource then, or lose it altogether.

hopefully this is the reason why the campaign entry didn't appear.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 10:58 AM   #25
Rob

found byself .... it works now...

campain is visible..

Last edited by Rob; 11th Oct 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 11:23 AM   #26
lightfoot

yea, the campaign is playable to the full now, even on the server

so the lobby map works. it doesn't look like it should, though, quite different from what the lobby looks like in single player

so the lobby could use some fixing too. It looks nice in single player, so I tried to use it as a menu map, just for kicks, but UT crashed with a runtime error.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 01:03 PM   #27
Fuzzy Bunny

Wasn't Adara one of the bonus pack maps for UT2k4? Looks like problem was solved regardless.

Played RecordKeeping (I think?) with X last night for awhile. We kept dying around the "turn on the electric" part, either on the way there or the way back. Some tricky random spawns there, which are nice. There's also a method LF or X discovered to make the hack much easier than intended by jumping onto the console, then some boxes. Raising the console a little bit would be enough to fix that, I think.
Old 11th Oct 2012, 01:08 PM   #28
Keggie

thx for input on maps

Originally Posted by Moses2k: ( link to post ) 
How are we to pronouce the name of your campaign and what is its inspiration?

You probably should run the text in your maps by a Master Speller, such as myself. I noticed at numerous style and spelling errors.
Nigh-ide, pronouced like.... Nigh from Night and ide from Carbon dioxide. i took the word night and tried to make it sound like a gas, as the NRF is suposed to be a weapons/Equipment facility i was going to try and work it into the story as a toxi gas that was built that only killed bugs and not humans, the NRF was built to weaponise it and to create more equipment to combat the bugs

you prob wont believe me but that text has all been through a spell checker im aware my spelling is somewhat diabolical, been dyslectic doesnt help

Originally Posted by Rob: ( link to post ) 
Hoi,

today we looked at the ucc.log file to find out why the map AO-NRF-MedicalCentre can not be played in server modus.

Here the hint:

What package ist that ?
ah nice, i said it was prob missing packages, thougth that was a standard ut file, will remove it in next release (whenever that is)

so the lobby map works. it doesn't look like it should, though, quite different from what the lobby looks like in single player

so the lobby could use some fixing too. It looks nice in single player, so I tried to use it as a menu map, just for kicks, but UT crashed with a runtime error.
hehe i was planning on making it a menu map, never got around to it, odd it crashes. dont know why it looks different online, will have a look at the other lobbies, see if iv missed somthing out.
Videos - YouTube
Old 11th Oct 2012, 01:20 PM   #29
Trapmaster

you prob wont believe me but that text has all been through a spell checker im aware my spelling is somewhat diabolical, been dyslectic doesnt help
>Summon COD.Chief
Old 11th Oct 2012, 03:28 PM   #30
x-newbie

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bunny: ( link to post ) 
Raising the console a little bit would be enough to fix that, I think.
Nop still can stand between console and box, set a sentry on yer feet and block everything from reaching you.

Or have a marine crouched to jump on his head and then up
Or set a sentry and do the usual jump right to the box.

Box has to go from there.
Its also hollow, that allows bugs to enter it and stuck in there.

Needs to be solid and with bv above it, or move/remove it.

Theres another solution too.
If marine steps on box, spawn a t75 on head

Last edited by x-newbie; 11th Oct 2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: :)