Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 7th Jul 2005, 02:45 AM   #1
Machine

Post The Unforgiven (old Black Cat) Teamspeak Information

TEAMSPEAK IS NO LONGER BEING RAN, MUMBLE HAS TAKEN IT'S PLACE SINCE 2009.
Please check the TuF Mumble Server Thread.

Was quite unsure where exactly to post this as the Servers area has gone now, hope here is ok. (Link to old thread)

This will be the new thread for anything involving the Community Teamspeak Server (I hope no one here minds me referring to it as that). As this is no longer exclusively a TuF, or Thievery Server and has become somewhere for a large number of people from this forum to gather, speak, and enjoy games together. I will be posting here when there is any expected downtime or new rules to be adhered to. The following information I shall keep up to date as best I can. If M2 / Dalai & Co. don't mind then I may design a Black Cat Logo for the server too.

Details
==========
Address:
"mach.homeip.net" or "blackcats.homeip.net"

Password: <none>, although unregistered users will not be able to move from "The Lobby" until they register themselves in the "SELF" menu, this was introduced to stop randoms joining a channel and spamming it during a game.

Admins:
Server Admins are some of the longest serving community members with high respect and integrity. These people are exactly the same as normal users but with the ability to kick and ban, treat them as you would like to be treated.
Channel Admins are allocated after experience has been gained by the user enough to properly use the powers.

Rules:

+ Obviously, enjoy each others company but also respect players, if they are playing a game then don't burst in asking questions.

+ Be nice to new users, unless they go on about call of duty.... no really.
+ Try to keep swearing down... ok, I know I'm one of the worst. But not all of us wear headphones!

+ Please do your best to ensure you don't "echo" this happens when your mic picks up sound from your speakers and we all hear ourselves.

+ Please define an alias for yourself, although "Guest1" isn't banned anymore it's nice to know who you are.

+ Channel requests can be posted here, at this time there is no "Alien Swarm" channel, but with enough demand one can be made.

+ Please don't broadcast music or soundpacks in any channel other than "The Theatre". Occasionally we have users broadcasting their music collection in this channel, or I rig my TV audio channel up to it, in this circumstance nickname yourself something relevant.

+ Try to keep communications down, there’s nothing more annoying than somebody who loves the sound of their own voice! Teamspeak can be a great help in Co-op play but can also be distracting. Any user can "ignore" another by right clicking on them and selecting "mute".

Current Server Admins :
+ All of The Unforgiven
+ Gladius
+ Immortius
+ Aggamemnon
+ Phaethorn
+ Brody
+ Mordengaard

Other:
Teamspeak Official Site
Teamspeak Modifications

Thanks for listening.

EDIT : Since September 2006 The Unforgiven is now using this server as a TuF Commuinity Server, the Blackcats.homeip.net DNS is still valid and shall be for the forseable future. All existing members are still welcome and the Thievery Rooms will remain for as long as they are commonly used. The Server Admins for the server will remain unchanged unless later decided that the administration is not needed.

EDIT2 : Since July 2008 Mumble will slowly phase out Teamspeak 2.

Last edited by Machine; 16th Jan 2012 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Unforgiven Website and guild updated.
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2005, 04:17 PM   #2
okih-imus

Dude, where DID the server section go?? O_o
Cool, I tried joining yesterday but it was down so I joined the purepwnage ts instead :-D
okih-imus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2005, 04:20 PM   #3
Carth

Channel request: an Alien Swarm channel.
Old 7th Jul 2005, 05:25 PM   #4
BiG_D
Super Moderator

I agree. In fact, why not link it at the top of the alienswarm general discussion section as well? It applies to many people who read those forums exclusively, and they will certainly never see it here.
Old 7th Jul 2005, 07:38 PM   #5
Illuminus

The server is also extremly useful in Guild Wars pvp matches. Wish i could use it though *cough* 56k *cough*. Keep up the good work!
Illuminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2005, 10:42 PM   #6
okih-imus

Where's that sound file of "No picks" I can't find it anywhere! :-(
okih-imus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2005, 10:50 PM   #7
Fuzzy Bunny

This was the thread that had the links to the sound file, but it doesn't look like the link work anymore
Phaethorn might still have it though.
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2005, 11:27 PM   #8
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Illuminus:
The server is also extremly useful in Guild Wars pvp matches. Wish i could use it though *cough* 56k *cough*. Keep up the good work!
TeamSpeak works perfectly well on dialup. Cythe, when he was in CTG used it on dialup from Australia with no adverse effects on his TUT performance. A friend of mine currently plays City of Heroes on dialup, uses TeamSpeak, and notices no degradation of his ingame performance as well.
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jul 2005, 11:51 PM   #9
Swiss Mercenary

Originally Posted by LaughingRat:
TeamSpeak works perfectly well on dialup. Cythe, when he was in CTG used it on dialup from Australia with no adverse effects on his TUT performance. A friend of mine currently plays City of Heroes on dialup, uses TeamSpeak, and notices no degradation of his ingame performance as well.
TS + TuT may work on dialup, GW may work on dialup, but unfortunately, GW + TS doesn't. A person in my guild is sadly affected by just that issue.

Meh.
Old 8th Jul 2005, 12:01 AM   #10
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Swiss Mercenary:
TS + TuT may work on dialup, GW may work on dialup, but unfortunately, GW + TS doesn't. A person in my guild is sadly affected by just that issue.

Meh.
I'm sorry to hear that. Has he tried limiting TS's bandwidth usage? Settings -> Options -> Bandwidth tab. The bandwidth TS uses can ge set well below the max speed for any connection, usually without any adverse quality.

Alternately, a less bandwidth-intensive codec can be set for the channel you use.
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2005, 01:40 AM   #11
Machine

@Illuminus if you join I'll lower the codec as far as is acceptable, but yeah, I understand dial up sucks used to be on it myself.

@Oki - TS Down? I don't think it was, try again when you can let me know the results. Try setting a filter on "Blackcats" or joining "mach.homeip.net"

@Carth I'll make an Alien Swarm channel now, see how popular it is

@Ghostly, LR is right, this is no longer a TUT resource, but there are channels for Thievery even if I personally don't play, I see a fair amount of people use it. If you check the attachment on the first post you see what channels there are. Plus you don't have to join just to play a game, you can join to discuss issues in one of the many other rooms, if it's a private discussion let a Server Admin know (SA) and he can drag you and the participants into the Office where nobody cn just wander in. All Server admins are aware of the "ask before entering" rule for the office, they are the only ones who -could- get in.

@everyone - Ta for the input

==========
- Updated TS Channels.gif on first post with Alien Swarm.
- As there were no objections, Name of Server changed from "~TuF~ Teamspeak Server" to "Blackcats Teamspeak Server" use this for filters. Logo to come.

Last edited by Machine; 8th Jul 2005 at 01:56 AM.
Old 8th Jul 2005, 08:35 AM   #12
Flack

I have created the description for AS channel. Feel free to report errors or even ideas to make in better!
Flack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2005, 11:34 AM   #13
Aggamemnon

I like it Ducky
Aggamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jul 2005, 11:51 AM   #14
Carth

Originally Posted by TheMachine:
@Carth I'll make an Alien Swarm channel now, see how popular it is
Thanks
Old 11th Jul 2005, 07:46 AM   #15
Machine

Scheduled Downtime.

Sunday 17th July, Server will be down from around 5pm GMT. I am formatting the computer and installing Windows XP to replace the (aging, but arguably very stable) Windows 2000 Server which is currently installed. The reason for this is that I am finding quite a number of applications which simply will not install on a Server OS! (-grrr-)

I hope this will not take any longer than a couple of hours, sorry if this conflicts with any events. Thank you

EDIT : I shall be waiting until just before 4pm GMT to freeze the Teamspeak Database and back it up for the change, any new users registered after this time but before the new OS will have to reregister. This is to give me enough time to backup everything I need.

Last edited by Machine; 13th Jul 2005 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Extra information.
Old 17th Jul 2005, 12:45 PM   #16
Machine

Not taking the server down today as it's very busy right now, I shall rescedule probably for Friday during the day (GMT) when it's quiet.
Old 21st Jul 2005, 06:42 AM   #17
Machine

TS went down this afternoon I can't seem to get it back up either so it's likely to be frozen mid-boot / shutdown so remote login isn't working. I should have it up 7-8GMT tonight when I am physically next to the machine. Sorry 'bout that.

I bet somebody has a joke about "I can't seem to get it back up either"
Old 21st Jul 2005, 09:53 AM   #18
PhaeThorn

Location: This pwnage was given to you by 1 of 3 mutated thievery players.
Both mach.homeip.net and blackcats.homeip.net aren't working at the moment. I do not know the new name of the ts, so I cannot look it up in the search system, either. Anyways, just letting you know
On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Last edited by PhaeThorn; 21st Jul 2005 at 09:57 AM. Reason: spellink?!
PhaeThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2005, 09:58 AM   #19
modetwo
Webmaster

Phae, look at TheMachine's post above yours...
modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2005, 10:02 AM   #20
PhaeThorn

Not if it didn't show up as "new" ... so I figured it was an old post. I never look at dates of the post either
On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 21st Jul 2005, 10:15 AM   #21
Machine

Regardless, Phaethorn is an admin on TS and did the right thing by posting here.
Old 21st Jul 2005, 10:15 AM   #22
modetwo
Webmaster

Originally Posted by PhaeThorn:
Not if it didn't show up as "new"
The time-out problem of unread posts will go away once we upgrade to vBulletin 3.5.

What has this got to do with hidden users, Carth?
modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jul 2005, 10:21 AM   #23
PhaeThorn

Originally Posted by TheMachine:
Regardless, Phaethorn is an admin on TS and did the right thing by posting here.
How sweet

Originally Posted by mOdEtWo:
What has this got to do with hidden users, Carth?
Carth couldn't handle the bugs anymore so he's now trying to fight the hidden users. He's not so succesful though

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 21st Jul 2005, 01:13 PM   #24
PhaeThorn

The teamspeak server is back up again! Please come and join me, I'm all alone in this big mansion

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 24th Jul 2005, 02:16 AM   #25
Machine

On topic, I've not yet had chance to update the Servers OS, mainly because of 1.5 being released, and IRL my times which I have been availible to do the update the servers been dead busy! I may look at setting up a mirrored server sometime this week hosted on my games machine to be able to run the upgrade, this will mean a smaller amount of downtime and all round goodness. I can't believe i didn't think of it earlier! This will happen at some point this week, the server may be slightly different but will still provide the same service.

Last edited by BrokenArts; 28th Jul 2005 at 11:08 AM.
Old 25th Jul 2005, 02:37 AM   #26
Machine

Drifting....

Back on topic.. maybe you should all come on TS and hear what you all sound like! There is a lobby for free discussion... we could host "An evening with LaughingRat, all the questions you wanted to ask..."
Old 25th Jul 2005, 05:27 AM   #27
DiP

Originally Posted by LaughingRat:
Don't apologize to them. They should be apologizing to all the world for their deviant sex ed. And my Scottish friend would be the first to agree.
Racist!!!!!(na i think ill just give you a warning instead, is that how you spell Racist?) I thouht our Sex Ed was fine...half of us got sent out the room for laughing ours heads off.
EDIT: YOu should make a channel called the Stress channel so if ur mad somebody who is a pshyciatrist would go in and talk to ya(or i could go in and make you even madder)or if theres nobody there then you can just shout into the mike cry your head off. MAke yourself feel better, come on youve got every other not needed channel(the sleeping channel)
Old 25th Jul 2005, 05:38 AM   #28
Machine

The sleeping channel is of use. Both Agga and I sleep in the same rooms as our computers, it is possible, though you'd have to shout to be loud enough, to wake us up.

The theatre would be the best place for "rants" if you really want to make a show of yourself.

The rest of the "rooms" in the mansion are of great use, read the descriptions for more info.
Old 25th Jul 2005, 06:31 AM   #29
DiP

Yeh but all the time youve got your sound muted i see so even if i tryed you wouldnt hear me....so your not gonna make a stress channel?
I will hack into your computer and make one if you dont
Old 25th Jul 2005, 06:55 AM   #30
Machine

Death, you couldn't hack your way out a wet paper bag, let alone my server. Unless you use the "Daniel" backdoor exploit.

If somebodys status in teamspeak in "away" then they WILL hear the conversations held within the channel they are currently in, but they will NOT hear notifications of members leaving or joining as they would normally.

There is an explicit setting in teamspeak to mute your sound input and output, explained below :

Mike muted : Player can hear but not speak.
Headphones muted : Player cannot hear conversations or notifications, nor can they speak. (oddly).
Away : (see mike muted)

As far as I know DiP, you are the only person as yet to request a "Stress Channel" I have noted your request and shall put the question to the TS regulars this evening. If you too know of more demand for this feature by all means start naming names.

Tags
gaming, mumble, tuf