X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Majarisan
    • Jan 2003

OT: Stealth 101

I don't know how many of you actually get your feet weet and get off the comp to do ssome real life taffing... but I consider myself atleast a moderately experienced sneak. So I thought perhaps the fans of the thievery community might be adventerous enough to try some of this stuff yourself. So here we go with Jarv's tutorial on stealth.

Camoflauge:

On a few occasions I've met people and somehow gotten on to the topic of stealth and trickery and they want to go sometime and raid something together. It is fun taffing with other eople so I take them up on their offer. When we meet I find them outfitted in full military BDU's and heavy combat boots. This screams newbie just as much as someone wondering around asking how to drop the supply chest .
    Camo fatigues and black clothing are not very effective, particulary at close proximity. Black cloaks(as I'm sure some of you think are the ultimate taffing wear) are a little better, as you don't look human shaped when you wear them, but still are generally lacking. Heres why... light doesn't reflect off your clothing the same way it reflects off your surroundings. For example, a black cloak will only make you look like a black blob in the middle of a greyish-black shadow.

Proper camoflauging is more natural. First strip yourself down as naked as you feel confortable with. I only wear a ripped up old pair of camo shorts. Then smear your body with charcoals from an old fire and mud. Let that dry and voila! You will blend well to shadows and natural surroundings. Try to be creative with this method to try and blend as well as possible with your surroundings, rather than the amount of light around you. If you'll be mostly outside in bushes, use the above example. If you'll mostly be inside in dark rooms, use primarily charcoal as thats designed to blend with shadows. If you'll be sneaking around in a concrete compund with lots of gravel on the ground, use charcoal and a *thin* layer of damp cement mix. This will blend well with the greyish background.

Silent movement:

Do not wear any footwear. If you must for christs sake not combat boots. I go bare foot. Yes this hurts at first but if you do this with any kind of reguarity your feet will develop cauluses(sp?) and it won't hurt anymore.

To step silently place your foot down gently on the outside ball of your foot first. DO NOT apply weight to this foot yet. Gently roll the rest of the ball of your foot down, then your toes, and finally your heel. Feel for any twigs, small pebbles, leaves or anything that will make noise under your foot. If you find any then lift your foot and try another spot. If you feel nothing then finally you slowly apply weight to that foot and repeat with the other foot. Often you will find yourself on your belly to remain hidden. When you crawl do not drag your body across the ground military style (honestly the military doesn't know the first thing about stealth). Instead lift your body off the ground a couple inches and move 1 appendage at a time, putting them down gently to feel for anything that could make a noise as stated above. This takes a lot of strength, stamina, and practice to do properly, as well as balance for that matter.

Thats enough for now I think. Sorry for the long post, but if you've read this much then I imagine you wanted to know . This stuff has worked well for me, hope it does for all of you as well.
    "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
    -Two unknown CTG probies
  • Curunir
    • Jan 2003

Good stuff. A bit of that I know. I used to be in Boy Scouts, so I learned all kinds of stuff from man-hunt. Also, about rolling your foot. It works just as effectively, and I prefer this, to place the heel first, and roll your foot on the outsides of your foot, eventually rolling through all the way to your toes.

More to come I'm sure.
    Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
    "Dream is Destiny"
    Waking Life

Comment

• LaughingRat
      • Jan 2003

And you wonder why you have run-ins with the police?

Comment

• SNAFU
        • Jan 2003

Hmmm... I can't believe that nobody has made this topic yet.

Anyway, here's what works for me.

Concerning camoflauge, I like to choose my uniform based on where I am going. A good pair of BDU's (forest green of course) IS good for daytime romps in a forest area. That's why they're forest green ya silly! Nighttime sneaking ususally calls for black or dark grey. Of course, if you're good, your choice of camoflauge isn't a big deal, because the key to not being seen is to remain outside the field of view of all people. Camoflague only helps them not recognize you when you're in their field of view; the best way is to STAY OUTSIDE their field of view.

For silent movement, I prefer to use different techniques for different surfaces. For example, on concrete, marble and the like, the good ol' heel to toe technique is good enough. Others, like wood, call for different techniques.

Concrete: I've gotten good enough to go heel to toe easily on this. Hell, I can even run on it silently.

Tile: Most tiles, heel to toe works, but the key is to put the heel down SLOWLY, but the roll can be fast. Do it just right, and it looks like you're moving just as fast.

Carpet: Now most people go "DUH! How can you screw up carpet?!" Well, most of the carpets I walk on have wood flooring/supports underneath. This can cause problems...

Wood: I hate wood. It CREAKS all the bloody time. The best way I've found is to tip-toe. The way I do it is unatural, but it minimizes the creaking of the flooring. Basically, I kind of karayoke (misspelled ), putting one foot around the other, and ONLY MY TOES CONTACT THE FLOOR. It's hard to do, but it mizimizes surface area, which means you are less likely to set your foot down on a spot that squeaks.

Da woodz!: I stink at sneaking around in the forests and such. Too many twigs and the like. However, I'm good at HIDING in the forest, so I can more or less wait until whoever is around is out of earshot, but I exaggerate the heel to toe, doing it slowly, rolling to the side of the foot so much I almost snap a tendon, then lift slowly. And I STILL make noise. Oh well...

Do NOT crawl. It is OK to lie prone, but in my experience, there is no good way to crawl silently, so either be in such a position that making some noise is not an issue, or just don't. Remember to get up SLOWLY; movement attracts the eye, and a lot of people seem to be more attentive to vertical motion than lateral motion, perhaps because you move your head laterally than you move it vertically.

Still, do not underestimate the prone position! I once played a game with some of my friends. I had them search a 50 x 50 yard forested area with flashlights. I lied down and covered most (but not all) of my body with leaves, and waited. I got 5 guys searching the area with flashlights, and it takes them an HOUR. I'm watching them for this hour, listening to them say "Damnit! This is stupid. I'll bet he isn't even here..." I finally gave up and stopped hiding, and showed them where I was hiding. I was wearing green sweats. Imagine if I had REAL camoflauge...
        TCO – Retired
        Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

• The Dragon
          • Jan 2003

Haha, that's awesome!

Comment

• Majarisan
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by LaughingRat
            And you wonder why you have run-ins with the police?
            The only time I have run ins with cops is when i'm just taking a walk. If I don't wanna be seen then I won't be. I have had to elude the cops before, this was back in the day when I was noob enough to wear BDU's, and my sneaking partners were whispering(BTW, contrary to what LR might say I'm not a thief, I may be guilty of trespassing and breaking and entering on ocassion... but its all purely for sport. nothing was broken or taken.) Anyway we had to make a hastey retreat... the cops were called and we weren't far enough away yet. So we had to sneak away. Thankfully our skill held true and we weren't caught. Since though I've read books and praciticed and developed my current style, covering myself with mud ect. ect. I haven't been seen since
            "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
            -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

• LaughingRat
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Majarisan
              but its all purely for sport. nothing was broken or taken.)
              Well, there goes the whole breaking and entering thing, then....

Comment

• Alpha-Omega
                • Jan 2003

honestly the military doesn't know the first thing about stealth
                I'd like you to say that to a Marine sniper, you'd be missing your head before you knew it.

For wooded areas in any range, or outdoor urban type areas of medium to long range, the biggest issue it to break up the outline of the body, the colors on your camo are really secondary, although getting the colors right isn't hard, epsecially if you use natural camo. At close ranges in ubran areas or pretty much any indoor area, expecting camouflage to work is a joke. You had either be behind something opaque or a completely dark area. The only times not being completely concealed will work is if he is only looking in your direction through his peripheral vision or if you are planning on putting 2 in his chest and one in his head as soon as you see him anyway (or some fancy-ass "flashbomb.") At close ranges, speed and silence are things you have to pay attention to more since only complete concealment will keep you un-seen.

Comment

• SiLeNt_NiGhT
                  • Jan 2003

....then suddenly, i dreamt that i was surrounded by wolves...

...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

• SNAFU
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
                    honestly the military doesn't know the first thing about stealth
                    I'd like you to say that to a Marine sniper, you'd be missing your head before you knew it.

For wooded areas in any range, or outdoor urban type areas of medium to long range, the biggest issue it to break up the outline of the body, the colors on your camo are really secondary, although getting the colors right isn't hard, epsecially if you use natural camo. At close ranges in ubran areas or pretty much any indoor area, expecting camouflage to work is a joke. You had either be behind something opaque or a completely dark area. The only times not being completely concealed will work is if he is only looking in your direction through his peripheral vision or if you are planning on putting 2 in his chest and one in his head as soon as you see him anyway (or some fancy-ass "flashbomb.") At close ranges, speed and silence are things you have to pay attention to more since only complete concealment will keep you un-seen.
                    Amen.

But there are exceptions to the rule. Ever seen one of those ghille suits? Man... put one on, find a good spot in the middle of a field or meadow, lie down, and someone could piss on you without noticing you... 8)
                    TCO – Retired
                    Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

• Alpha-Omega
                      • Jan 2003

that's what I mean, in wooded or natural outdoor areas, breaking up your human outline (such as a guille suit) works at any range. 8)

Comment

• Majarisan
                        • Jan 2003

I'm not saying that I possess the skill beyond that of a marine sniper, but the guy I get my info from does... even if you give the marine his ghillie suit.

Barnes & Noble’s online bookstore for books, NOOK ebooks & magazines. Shop music, movies, toys & games, too. Receive free shipping with your Barnes & Noble Membership.

Read this book, this is where I get my stuff from. Believe it or not... the author of this book, Tom Brown, puts Garrett to shame.
                        -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

• BiG_D
                          Former Forum Staff
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                          but its all purely for sport. nothing was broken or taken.)
                          Well, there goes the whole breaking and entering thing, then....
                          Wouldn't that be entering and breaking? or Breaking and entering and breaking?
                          It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

• LaughingRat
                            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by SNAFU
                            But there are exceptions to the rule. Ever seen one of those ghille suits? Man... put one on, find a good spot in the middle of a field or meadow, lie down, and someone could piss on you without noticing you... 8)
                            Hey, man, whatever you're into....

Comment

• acetken
                              • Mar 2003

When walking up wooden/creaky stairs, always walk on the outsides of the steps. (NEVER the middle!) They're used less and are attactched more closely to the wall and therefore have less weight to divide over creaky parts.
                              http://www.insult2injury.org
                              -end of transmission-

Comment

Working...
                              X