X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vermillion
    • Aug 2004

Th-LordBeck : BETA EDITION

Attention all taffers! The latest and greatest addition to the Thievery community has arrived! There is glory, honor, true love, battles that wage across continents...
    Well...

Anywho, I actually do have my Beta copy of TH-LordBeck (working title, a bit self-indulgent) done and want people to check it out. It's all ready for you to begin fire-spamming, so give it a looksee. The crew at Thievery Customs is hosting the d/l for me, but I still need a server... hint hint!

--- Download: TH-LordBeck.zip Then Enjoy:

Shoot me an EMail with any and ALL comments, suggestions and (if you include cash to make up for the pain) complaints.

[email protected]
    [email protected] - My favorite color, the tone of my skin, my EMail address and the best type of pie!
  • Vermillion
    • Aug 2004

All right, here are a few screenshots for those of you who need them. Enjoy!

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!
    [email protected] - My favorite color, the tone of my skin, my EMail address and the best type of pie!

Comment

• Brody
      • Mar 2003

server needed? for test? feel free to contact me.
      A real huge Man will neither stamp on a Worm, nor crawl for an Emperor

Thievery Customs Center
      Vietcong Customs Center

Comment

• Hybrid
        • Jan 2003

I'm sure you'll like some input, because I am the bugmaster.

1. The front room's fireplace...You can stand in front of it, and it's a shadow. This might be on purpose, it's a good hiding place, after all.

2. The oven door in the kitchen is rather immaterial. Oven doors are much more fun when you can stand on them. Oh, it's also difficult the nab the chicken. If this is a simulation of reluctance to put bare hands into a hot oven though, I understand.

3. The table (or giant birdbath?) in the courtyard has some sort of weird blocker on one part of it, but you can stand on the rest just fine.

4. The attic\roof door is difficult to open from the inside, and especially difficult to close from the inside.

5. The room with the fireplace upstairs has an invisible part you can stand on (so you're standing on nothing), right behind the bench\chair\sofa. No huge deal though, lots of maps have them, and what's it going to be? A hiding place?

6. The treasure chests are wonky. If you picklock them open, they're fine, but there's also this pile of gold to the side. If you pick that up instead, and then try the chest, you get a household object...

7. Too many blank books!

Edit: A couple more.

8. I failed to find the gate key, and think it rather silly that there's just one exit and there's only one copy of the needed key. The only clue I found was Beck's letter to Alan that implied the key was lost. This is just one of those cases of "Once you do find out, you'll know forever" though, as with any other map.

9. See where I am relative to the giant birdbath \ table? Some sort of weird blocker. You can't normally stand on it, but with the fly cheat code, I have noted the location. It seemed large enough to block incoming bolts.

Uh, ignore those icons

Other than those mostly insignificant complaints (might wanna fix the treasure chests and the attic\roof door though), looks good. Definitely see it possibly being played as much as say, HighwayInn.
        Last edited by Hybrid; 2 Oct 2004, 02:53 AM.

Comment

• claymore
          Account not validated
          • Dec 2003

Downloading now.

Wow, that's all I can say. I can see you've made maps before. Are you by chance a professional level designer?

I played your other version and I can see you've done loads to this. Once all the bugs/errors are ironed out this should be top notch.

One thing I would add is that you put some map screens to show up in the HUD. Also when you have a finished version I would make a thread in general discussion as many people seem to bypass this forum.
          Last edited by claymore; 2 Oct 2004, 05:20 PM.

Comment

• PhaeThorn
            • Jan 2003

Salsa, don't claim my title

Anyway , I'm downloading this map, I'll make some comments later on.
            On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

• Thebos
              • Jan 2003

Notes:

Overall- a nice map

Good access to the various areas of the map- thief hardly seems to nedd to enter into the house

Nit picky stuff:

Statue in spawn movable (intentional?) and has loop noise.

readable book in the two safes i found with loot on top can be annoying-thief frobs book in stead of loot. easy to frob book and get oneself killed if guard present.

The overall scale of the objects made me fell kind of short-but htat is a stylistic thing reagarding scale.

No problem finding the gate key, but more then one would be nice.

Did not notice the chest problem Salsa mentioned. COuld have missed them, or maybe it has something to do with the view settings you used to explore?

Windows could perhaps be a little bigger- need to align just right to get through. Annoying whne being chased. Of course my mobility skills are poor to begin with.
              Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
              Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

• Hybrid
                • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Thebos
                Did not notice the chest problem Salsa mentioned. COuld have missed them, or maybe it has something to do with the view settings you used to explore?
                Upon further testing, you're correct - I was using 'showall' and that did it. However, that's still bad because I could pick up the loot inside the chest without opening the chest (making noise) or unlocking it. Such a problem doesn't occur in HighwayInn, so it must be an oversight rather than an actual Thievery problem.

Not to mention you can turn on showall in a multiplayer game, though if it has the same effect on a dedicated server - piles of gold next to chests - rather than single player, I don't know, since there are no dedicated servers running it..
                Last edited by Hybrid; 2 Oct 2004, 07:37 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• Vermillion
                  • Aug 2004

Thanks for all the input so far... and I don't have a clue about the "invisible tree-stumb of +2 standing" that's by the birdbath. I'll have to dig into WIKI to fix that.

Also, super-sexy Brody of Brody's Revenge and Challenge is going to host the BETA. The servers should have the BETA up by the afternoon of Monday, EST. Anyone who's anyone should check it out and send me comments via EMail: [email protected]

Until I see you all there, keep on rocking in the free world!

[edit] Brody needed a bigger cyber-hug [/edit]

Comment

• Firetiger
                    • Jun 2003

I haven't played the map, but from what I saw from salsa's screenshot, the invisible tree stump looks like a BSP hole. BSP holes don't always show as a hall of mirrors. Sometimes they make you crater, other times they make the invisible obstacles.

If you haven't done this already, try using the BSP rebuild option. If you dunno where, just click on build all, and uncheck everything but geometry and BSP. Save your work beforehand though, it can give undesirable results.

Hope i've helped, i'll try the map later and give more input.
                    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

• Radamanthus
                      • Jan 2003

Ahh yes. i remember playing this one about 2 months ago. very nie looking then. Even better now, probably.
                      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

• Grank
                        • Jan 2003

This is running on the Crackaz server. The download is being hosted on http://thecrackaz.com

Vermillion when you release another version of this map don't name it the same. If you do I'll be forced to name it something different so people don't have version mismatches. This one should have been named TH-LordBeckB1.unr or something similiar. Oh well.

Comment

• Kiech Bepho
                          • Jan 2003

Where is lord Beck?
                          Kiech

Comment

• Hybrid
                            • Jan 2003

The thieves learned a bit after trying to rob Lord Gerome while he was still at home, so this time they waited till he was out for the night. Lord Beck is away.

Comment

• Zidane
                              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Salsa
                              The thieves learned a bit after trying to rob Lord Gerome while he was still at home, so this time they waited till he was out for the night. Lord Beck is away.
                              ROFL! Well, that's one less firespammer to deal with...

Anyway, pretty good map, but I've noticed some bugs (which others have already mentioned). At least one more gate key would be nice, too. Otherwise, a really nice map!

Comment

Working...
                              X