Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trapmaster
    • Dec 2007

The carpets are solid/semi-solid polygons only, placed one pixel above the regular floor. Since they react like non-solid brushes (no collision) the walking sound is taken from the floor texture.

Imo it's a slightly unclean level design technique, but it's not a bug. Also if you jump on a wooden floor in real, it doesn't matter you will still hear the wooden beams (like in Sk.Head).
    Last edited by Trapmaster; 20 Jan 2009, 02:26 PM.
    [E.D.G] Trapmaster - Doomsayer
    Brush scaling by 0.5325662468842 and still going

Comment

• Gullonefox
      • May 2002

Originally posted by Trapmaster View Post
      The carpets are solid/semi-solid polygons only, placed one pixel above the regular floor. Since they react like non-solid brushes (no collision) the walking sound is taken from the floor texture.

Imo it's a slightly unclean level design technique, but it's not a bug. Also if you jump on a wooden floor in real, it doesn't matter you will still hear the wooden beams (like in Sk.Head).
      It stopped nasty BSP holes - back in the day. *Wipes away tear of nostalgia*

DE was a nightmare of a map, had bap holes all over the place, almost half the map was removed - in the end what was left is the version as it was released. So many things had to be chopped down, including carpets - was a shame, and I totally agree.
      Chimp off the old Block

Game Designer

Comment

• necros
        • Apr 2004

not being an unreal mapper, and finding the whole concept of primarily subtractive mapping extremely mind-boggling, i don't understand however, how simply using a seperate brush for the section of the floor that is carpeted would cause BSP holes?
        Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Comment

• Trapmaster
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Gullonefox View Post
          It stopped nasty BSP holes - back in the day. *Wipes away tear of nostalgia*

DE was a nightmare of a map, had bap holes all over the place, almost half the map was removed - in the end what was left is the version as it was released. So many things had to be chopped down, including carpets - was a shame, and I totally agree.
          Pardon, I did not want to critisize you .

Yes I saw it - It must have given you a real headache. I think you scaled most brushes, did you?

I'm really excited to see DE2. Hope you are still working on it. It looks brilliant.

Originally posted by necros View Post
          not being an unreal mapper, and finding the whole concept of primarily subtractive mapping extremely mind-boggling, i don't understand however, how simply using a seperate brush for the section of the floor that is carpeted would cause BSP holes?
          I think the same about Quake mapping, to me, the additive mapping concept is very confusing. I once mapped for Q1 but that BSPbuilder made textures look weired on medium to long distances.

Placing single (semi-)solid polygon brushes is not very hygenic since they tend to react like non-solid polygons but might affect your BSP in a different way.
          Last edited by Trapmaster; 2 Apr 2008, 05:18 PM.

Comment

• Denny
            • May 2006

Just want to inform to everyone that building levels around BSPs is the worst optimised way of doing things these days. I recommend learning to model and use static meshes as it's way faster performance wise and building times is way shorter. It's also way better looking.

Terrain + Static Meshes = Win!

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
              • Jul 2004

Though remember not to make huge single meshes but to chop 'em up if they're quite large.
              [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Gullonefox
                • May 2002

Originally posted by Denny View Post
                Just want to inform to everyone that building levels around BSPs is the worst optimised way of doing things these days. I recommend learning to model and use static meshes as it's way faster performance wise and building times is way shorter. It's also way better looking.

Oh yes - Modeling is the way forward - BSP = Archaic and highly painful, and to paraphrase, time consuming.

Chief! I have the tinternet again!
                Chimp off the old Block

Game Designer

Comment

• Trapmaster
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Denny View Post

True. Also that one was for the TUT version because Fat stated that the carpets are not working properly.

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
                    • Jul 2004

Chief! I have the tinternet again!
                    Good, you can get back to work on Underworld

And stop hanging round night-blade
                    [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Denny
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Trapmaster View Post
                      True. Also that one was for the TUT version because Fat stated that the carpets are not working properly.
                      My reply wasn't exactly a response to the actual map but rather a general statement how things should be done today.

Comment

• MontyPython
                        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by immortius View Post
                        Nothing so dramatic, just a secondary visual indicator that you are invisible.
                        In fact if you really were invisible you wouldnt see at all since light would go through your retinas
                        Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.

Comment

• -KewlAzMe-
                          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by MontyPython View Post
                          In fact if you really were invisible you wouldnt see at all since light would go through your retinas
                          quite the conundrum!
                          I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

Working...
                          X