X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • -=V12US=-
    • Jan 2003

Idea for promotions (medals)

Unless I've missed something somewhere, I believe these are currently purely cosmetic. I'd like to suggest a use for them that at the same time introduces a feature from the UT2K4 mod. The ability to upgrade characteristics.

For each medal that a person acquires, they can during the briefing of each mission apply a +1 bonus to a characteristic of the character you're playing. It wouldn't stick between games or different people, it'd be much like the loadout you choose, just something small, something extra that adds a small bit of personalization, and wouldn't necessarily wreck game balance too much.
  • Zombie21
    • Nov 2006

Where is it written that we need to have these huge benefits for simply spending a lot of time playing the game?

I think a +3 to any stat would be too much of an advantage.
    "Single handedly, you've ruined the fun many were having with the game. Good job Hitler."

Comment

• Carth
      • Jun 2004

I don't like this idea. Different weapons are one thing, but actually upgrading the characters based on play/grind time doesn't seem fair.

Comment

• Gimbo
        • Apr 2008

im happy with the way it is, sure id like something for getting to the max rank but that just isn't fair on the people who don't play it all day
        Arghh why does the world hate me so...

Comment

• Wolfbullet
          • Dec 2004

I think any rewards for rank/medals should be purely cosmetic. In one of other threads someone mentioned custom armor/textures which sounded kinda neat. Or maybe a similar setup to TF2 with the crafting and unlocks (and hats!).

Comment

• Carth
            • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Wolfbullet View Post
            I think any rewards for rank/medals should be purely cosmetic. In one of other threads someone mentioned custom armor/textures which sounded kinda neat. Or maybe a similar setup to TF2 with the crafting and unlocks (and hats!).
            Yeah that's a better idea.

Comment

• DarkLord75
              • Mar 2005

We already have Hat Fortress 2, we don't need another hat simulator. Give me a decent armor model instead of this spacesuit crap. I'm hunting bugs, not exploring the moon.
              "Spera: Ooh! Ooh! You hear that? A bird singing out amidst our desolation. It's a miracle. The miracle called supper."

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering

Comment

• Behind You
                • Oct 2004

The Gallium Cross should just have pro written on it and appear in game on your character's back.
                Behind You Durandal Traikan in game.

Comment

• Sifer2
                  • Jul 2010

Well stat boosts would kind of ruin what they have done with the new system. Which is try to make the different Marines play differently an have their own strengths.

Personally I think it would have been good if they had added an extra level each time you promote. So after the first time you could reach level 28 an unlock the Jump Jets. Then next level 29 an get Blink Pack. An then 30 an get Cigar lol.

Unless they have their own plans for upping the level cap later that is.

Comment

• Ihmemies
                    • Apr 2005

If you want the medals to be more pro:
                    - you can earn exp towards 1st promotion in normal
                    - towards 2nd promotion hard
                    - towards 3rd promotion insane

Now you can grind away the exp in easy and look like a pro anyways.

Comment

• Warskull
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Ihmemies View Post
                      If you want the medals to be more pro:
                      - you can earn exp towards 1st promotion in normal
                      - towards 2nd promotion hard
                      - towards 3rd promotion insane

Now you can grind away the exp in easy and look like a pro anyways.
                      That would mean you couldn't get certain pieces of equipment for insane mode until it didn't matter.

I agree anything tied to promotions should be cosmetic.

Comment

• Beiz
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by DarkLord75 View Post
                        We already have Hat Fortress 2, we don't need another hat simulator. Give me a decent armor model instead of this spacesuit crap. I'm hunting bugs, not exploring the moon.
                        Or maybe we were exploring the moon right before we received our mission? At least I was, until that dreadful call told me to drop whatever I was doing, and repay my debt to help sort out some alien infestations.

Meh, I want to go back to the moon

Comment

• MiffedUser
                          • Jul 2010

A couple of ideas, myself:

Cosmetic: New skins for Armor, Weapons, etc.

Semi-Cosmetic: An "Aura" that surrounds you. Sorta like the flashlight (and maybe preset color per promotion), but only for very short range (no auto target, ike the flares). Maybe a foot or two radius per promotion. Good for dark corridors where parasites like to hide.

Weapon customization: This isn't exactly well though out, but think of this- Having the ability to merge certain weapons without Alt-Fires. For example- Equip the Autogun and the PDWs, and you would be able to fire AG with primary fire and PDWs with Secondary fire without having to switch back and forth between the two.

Comment

• AlienInvader
                            • Aug 2005

uber secret special unlockable cigar @ gallium 27, it looks badass, and actually slowly chips away at your life a la MGS.

Comment

• Beiz
                              • Oct 2007

Or simply give promotions the blink and jet pack.

Comment

Working...
                              X