Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Troubleshooting & Technical Help

Old 3rd Sep 2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Chainsaws

Hardware comparison sites?

I'm toying with the idea of upgrading my games machine but I don't want to spend a fortune on it. When I orignally bought my new motherboard I was under the (false) assumption that it would support the next couple of AMD processor iterations and I wouldn't have to upgrade for a while. When I come to look at components to upgrade the system with my head starts spinning; I just don't have the time or the inclination to keep up with this stuff any more.

So, if anyone can recommend some great sites that are easy to navigate where I can compare hardware I'd be greatful. Perhaps you can recommend a next step upgrade, that would be even better. I'd much prefer googling reviews on two or three pieces of hardware than searching through everything.

My current spec:
ASUS Crosshair Motherboard
Some DDR RAM - 3GB
AMD Athlon X2 1.6GHz Dual Core
Sapphire Radeon x1950 Pro Ultimate 256MB RAM

There are a few newer games that don't run so well but really I'd just like Left 4 Dead (and probably Left 4 Dead 2) to run a bit smoother and DX10 support would be spiffy. I'm not set on replacing everything, I'm happy to upgrade a minimum of components as long as I'm not wasting money by doing so.

Whatever anyone can suggest I'd be greatful for.
Chainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Schleicher

Mebbe ask around for good computer shops around your area? A good one should give you techy guidance and even put the thing together if you dont wanna do it. Also not trying to sell you crap, heh.
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Sep 2009, 08:50 AM   #3
westy

This is nice > http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

But gotta look for stability on video cards too, I had/have alot of overheating problems with my Radeon 3870, full system locks while playing games, not fun. (Better now I have put on a Thermaltake Du-Orb). I have no idea how to look for which cards have most stability issues thou, googling I guess.

http://service.futuremark.com/

Furturemark ORB (Online Result Browser, I think) is somewhat useful for seeing what the hardcore player are using in terms of motherboard and video card makes.

edit: Shopping in the real world sucks. Much safer to stay inside and online.
Old 4th Sep 2009, 02:57 PM   #4
Thebos

HardOCP.com (particularly like their video card reviews)

sharkyextreme.com (Find thier weekly price listing useful)

Newegg.com (find the user ratings/comments useful. Also find the more popular items are a good starting point)
Old 24th Sep 2009, 05:08 PM   #5
TeeJay

Tom's Hardware

Tom's Hardware is an essential site for information about upgrading and building PCs. Their charts and round-ups are great for comparison shopping. I have included links to Tom's Hardware's most recent "Best for the Money" recommendations for CPUs and graphics cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...card,2404.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-cpu,2398.html

It looks like the graphics card will be your main focus. You also might benefit from adding 1 GB of RAM (or more) if you are running a 64-bit OS.

Last edited by TeeJay; 24th Sep 2009 at 05:22 PM.
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote