Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm Forums > Alien Swarm SDK Discussion

Old 31st Jul 2010, 02:44 PM   #1
Keggie

flare/light problem..

quick question, never used hammer before and got prob with flares, check attachment, big blob of light, work fine in other maps, somthing iv done wrong or havent done? normal lights are rather too bright too, walk near them and the player almost goes invisable in the light, i know i can change the brightness of lights but thought they might be connected somehow..
Videos - YouTube

Last edited by Keggie; 22nd Aug 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2010, 03:33 PM   #2
Schleicher

Ma Light is too bright!

Still have to figure if you can make zone boxes like in ued3 and assign them lighting values, that overbloom looks kinda neat in certain situations
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Jul 2010, 04:13 PM   #3
Keggie

ah thanks schleicher!
Videos - YouTube
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 10:09 AM   #4
Keggie

ok, just going to turn this thread into keg help thread.. got 2 problems mapping, attachment screenshot for both

1- The Flashlight Shines through the walls, how can i stop that?
2- Some static objects iv added shine bright when theres no light on them, theres 2 in the 2nd attachment, how can i stop that? kinda looks like the unlit setting in unrealed where its auto lit up

3- kinda fits with 1, not sure if this is flaw in the game, but when a player fires he lights up, and if he stands next to a wall the light also shines the other side of that wall too

thanks for help
Videos - YouTube

Last edited by Keggie; 22nd Aug 2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 04:44 PM   #5
Schleicher

Light goin thru walls is an engine "bug" i think. Also had some fullbright props, no idea what causes that.
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 05:00 PM   #6
TrojanMonkey

No idea on the objects glowing, you can always change the prop_static to a prop_dynamic. Might help.

And about the light, use the BLOCK LIGHT texture on a block to parameter a closed space for lights. (The flash-light me actually be just a sprite attatched to the marine, so it won't be counted as a light source...Hmm, still worth trying though.)
TrojanMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 05:40 AM   #7
Keggie

Originally Posted by Schleicher: ( link to post ) 
Light goin thru walls is an engine "bug" i think. Also had some fullbright props, no idea what causes that.
yeah i thought it might be..

Originally Posted by TrojanMonkey: ( link to post ) 
No idea on the objects glowing, you can always change the prop_static to a prop_dynamic. Might help.
prop_dynamic didnt work, messed about with a few settings but couldnt get it to work no matter tho ima just use somthing different i guess

Originally Posted by TrojanMonkey: ( link to post ) 
And about the light, use the BLOCK LIGHT texture on a block to parameter a closed space for lights. (The flash-light me actually be just a sprite attatched to the marine, so it won't be counted as a light source...Hmm, still worth trying though.)
didnt work or im doing it wrong... made a cube as normal, covered it in that texture, and it disapears in game and the player can run through it? didnt stop torch or flares
Videos - YouTube
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Schleicher

The problem seems to be that the flashlight/flares arent a light entity but a projected texture or something.
Old 4th Aug 2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Schleicher

Update on glowy props : needs an env_cubemap placed in the map.
Old 5th Aug 2010, 03:34 PM   #10
Keggie

ah ty schleicher! i knew it would be a map actor... i tried coping the same props from the offical maps and they didnt work either so thought it must be somthing like this, searched the maps but never tried the cubemap lol thanks again! just need to fix flashlight bug.. my map looks awful with the flashlight shineing through walls :/
Videos - YouTube
Old 6th Aug 2010, 06:41 AM   #11
Schleicher

I guess dont make it pitch black but juuust bright enough so noone brings flashlights trading a lil darkness for an actual useful item or make all the dark areas wide and open using pits instead of walls or place the walls in a way so they obscure the "shining thru" parts or just make em very thick/high if theyre northern oriented.

Experiment, mebbe something you have to come up with as workaround turns out better as the original plan. But i guess it puts somewhat of a damper on "flashlight required" darkness gimmick maps :I
Old 6th Aug 2010, 02:06 PM   #12
Keggie

yeah the idea was to actualy make a map where flashlights and flares would be useful tho lol

ok, so a few more things, mainly stuff for mapping but the odd game glitch, some might be possible but i havnt worked out yet

Mapping Stuff

1 - is it possible to make a door Not Weldable? i'v found a setting to make it so you cannot pull the door back and weld but if your fast enough you can still weld the door while its shut before it opens. have i just missed a setting or does it not exsist?

2 - Order Objectives- i have 3 objectives in my map right now, 1 - hack computer, 2 - destroy x amout of egg's, 3 - escape into the lift. i want the objectives to appear in that order, but the egg's objective appears 1st, im a picky mapper and the egg's should be 2nd!! lol, is there a way to do this?

3 - New Objective Count - this i think is more of a mappers request, is there a way to have a Count objective the Same as the destroy egg's but we can change the egg's to somthing else, for example i want the marines to hack 5 pc's for 1 objective, now im pretty sure i can do this using triggers, but i wont have the count number like the destroy egg's / biomass 0/5, 1/5, 2/5 etc etc

this is the first time iv mapped with hammer so not sure about if its possible to make custom objectives/entites? in unrealed its just create a new actor off objectives and change the code, is it possible to make custom entites and save them along with the map?

Game Bugs

1 - Clicking in Headset - does anyone else have this? when i open a door, the door effect sound plays, then i get a click click click, also happens after it closes, i dont notice it with the music playing much but its there!

2 - Flamer can fire through walls, dont think iv seen this reported yet but if you have a thinish wall you can fire through it with the flame thrower, the flame doesnt do damage (or it didnt when i tried) but the flame still goes through, just thought id mention it
Videos - YouTube
Old 7th Aug 2010, 06:52 AM   #13
Schleicher

1) think so? will check later

2) Arrange the entities from north to south in the order you want them to appear

3) If you wanted 5 pcs you would want the asw_computer_areas (i think) each to feed an add 1 output (fired once, mebbe disable too) on hack complete into a math counter which then triggers an objective complete on reaching max count (5 in that case). Dunno how you would make it update the numbers "real time" in that case but id consider that low priority.

PS those objectives are strikingly similar to those of my map in progress but i guess thats the nature of the beast XD

Bugs 2 : Same as with flashlight i think, i got the laser pointers goin thru walls too :d
Old 12th Aug 2010, 05:55 AM   #14
Keggie

thx Schleicher not been able to make a door unweldable yet tho

well theres only so many dif types of objectives you can do
Videos - YouTube
Old 14th Aug 2010, 10:07 AM   #15
Schleicher

More like how many sensible objectives you can do, the system is pretty flexible XD

PS fiddled around with doors to check weldstuff ( didnt plan for weldable doors in map, so pretty much didnt care :d ). Guess simply make a func_door. Or if you want to use asw_doors you could use some other opening trigger instead of a asw_door_area since those enable the welding, the doors itself only got the values for the welding time and not much else it seems.
Old 20th Aug 2010, 07:29 AM   #16
Keggie

worked a treat thanks
Videos - YouTube