Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion > Thievery Mapping

Old 16th Sep 2007, 05:05 PM   #1
Keggie

Stronghold (Perfected ^^)

Linky!
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2007, 05:12 PM   #2
bigfoot

Looks nice i like the lights
Old 16th Sep 2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Keggie

the lights would be rocks on fire been chucked at the stronghold via the catapults
Videos - YouTube
Old 16th Sep 2007, 05:34 PM   #4
)!(Uruk-Hai)!(
Banned

lol whats this?
)!(Uruk-Hai)!( is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Sep 2007, 07:12 AM   #5
-KewlAzMe-

I like it! Its like the thieves are robbing the place while there is a war going on with an unknown party.. Or perhaps the party can be known and the guards and thieves have 2 enemies to deal with.
Old 17th Sep 2007, 08:31 PM   #6
]>CoD<[Chief

And for those who want to play the map ( Th-BattleForStronghold) featured in the youtube video, here it is:

http://rapidshare.com/files/56446355/TH-BFS.zip.html

Although a reasonably resource high map, it has been play tested on an old 5200fx graphics card, and found to be playable, also note that it does work online, but due to server problems in the last hour or so we cant guarantee a bug free map play (but all those we were able to see have been ironed out).

So enjoy
]>CoD<[Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 08:50 AM   #7
Manic Man

Nice.. the problem with maps like Stronghold is the setting is in the middle of a battle but there isn't any battle.. So this seams like a nice little edit ^_^
I'm fantastic!"
Manic Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2007, 10:17 AM   #8
Keggie

yeah, when the map first starts, make your way to the front entrance, and you will see the ai rushing in from different places for a melee fight. i just like the ai that use the catapults ^^
Videos - YouTube
Old 20th Sep 2007, 04:52 PM   #9
Manic Man

I was messing about in the level earlyer and a couple of things got my notice.. ones that are probbly half to do with the oringal map more then this version and others probbly to do with the thievery port then anything else..

= Problems with oringal map
The first was no roof access? i tried to make what should be a very simple jump onto the roof but for some reason it wouldn't let me.. maybe the borders or whatever are set up so you can't get there? this is a pain..

and i take it not every guard is 'playable'.. since when i died (dumd mistake.. i was climbing a vine arrow ontop the second floor, when into the corridor above the main room, was jumping from vine arrow to vine arrow to get a good grip and climb into the roof support when a guard shot at me (i didn't notice he had relit the torch).. dumb me -_-, i then jumped onto the corridor bit just for about 6 guards to come running and turn me into mulch. but then the user list said there was only 4 guards left.. so alot of them had to be none playable.

= Problems with Thievery
Small corridor, i push a keg around just to give a bit of cover, block the path of a guard so he just stands there.. doesn't even notice me standing in the light or think 'hang on, what's this doing here' or 'Oh well, better turn around and carry on'.. i was able to stand up in bright light and he didn't notice until i moved the keg..

now this one i don't know if it's a bug or what.. the guards fighting the catapules seam to love setting themselfes on fire by running into the line of a fire or not seeing some fire on the ground and walking over it.. i think most of the guards outside are killed within about 20 mins.. they need to be a bit smarter ^_^.. it's not like Doom where the demons were meant to be dumb because they are just fodder..
I'm fantastic!"
Old 20th Sep 2007, 05:09 PM   #10
Keggie

Originally Posted by Manic Man: ( link to post ) 
= Problems with oringal map
The first was no roof access? i tried to make what should be a very simple jump onto the roof but for some reason it wouldn't let me.. maybe the borders or whatever are set up so you can't get there? this is a pain..
there is roof access, there are 3 ways up that i know of not much point been up there tho unless ur roof sniping

and i take it not every guard is 'playable'.. since when i died (dumd mistake.. i was climbing a vine arrow ontop the second floor, when into the corridor above the main room, was jumping from vine arrow to vine arrow to get a good grip and climb into the roof support when a guard shot at me (i didn't notice he had relit the torch).. dumb me -_-, i then jumped onto the corridor bit just for about 6 guards to come running and turn me into mulch. but then the user list said there was only 4 guards left.. so alot of them had to be none playable.
thats chiefs version, in order to make the battle he needed 2 guard teams, and more guards then in the original, i think all the ai added for the battle you cannot spawn into, otherwise there be alot of guards lives

Problems with Thievery - Small corridor, i push a keg around just to give a bit of cover, block the path of a guard so he just stands there.. doesn't even notice me standing in the light or think 'hang on, what's this doing here' or 'Oh well, better turn around and carry on'.. i was able to stand up in bright light and he didn't notice until i moved the keg..
thats just a thievery.. "feature" there are some objects guards see right through, you could make it so guards take notice of most things been moved, but would take ages for a mapper to do

now this one i don't know if it's a bug or what.. the guards fighting the catapules seam to love setting themselfes on fire by running into the line of a fire or not seeing some fire on the ground and walking over it.. i think most of the guards outside are killed within about 20 mins.. they need to be a bit smarter ^_^.. it's not like Doom where the demons were meant to be dumb because they are just fodder..
ai dont see fire. they will walk straight into it, as the fire from the catapults is random where it lands it would be hard to make ai avoid them, its possible to block them from fires that are permanently there with block monster actors tho
Videos - YouTube
Old 20th Sep 2007, 08:00 PM   #11
)!(Uruk-Hai)!(
Banned

heh funny map, i like guards bashing.
)!(Uruk-Hai)!( is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Sep 2007, 08:03 PM   #12
]>CoD<[Chief

Guards in armour with the red fabric (with yellow lion) on chest = Lord Denheims Troops (Friendly to guards- not inhabitable. enemies to thieves, and if you hurt them will likely kill you whether your friends or not).

Guards in dark armour = Lord Solomans troops (Enemies to guards and thieves, not inhabitable).

Guards in leather armour = Catapault Masters (Enemies to guards and thieves, not inhabitable.).

Guards in standard uniform (looking suspiciously like those from Skelts ) Can be inhabited., friendly to denheim and themselves, hate thieves.

I'm surprised the six guards came after you tbh, all I've ever seen them do after winning their battle is stand around in ranks outside. (Except when keg and I purposely kept shooting them )

I'd say the worst issue of the map that I found was getting met in the face with a big flaming boulder
Old 20th Sep 2007, 08:14 PM   #13
Keggie

Originally Posted by ]>CoD<[Chief: ( link to post ) 
I'd say the worst issue of the map that I found was getting met in the face with a big flaming boulder
lol, oddly alda had that problem aswell.. but to be honest, sitting on the roof exactly where the boulders land wasnt exactly a smart thing to do
Videos - YouTube
Old 20th Sep 2007, 09:21 PM   #14
]>CoD<[Chief

lol, all I did was open the side door to go outside
Old 20th Sep 2007, 10:07 PM   #15
Keggie

actually i recall one time when i didnt even get out the door, i opened it and died ><!
Videos - YouTube
Old 21st Sep 2007, 10:21 AM   #16
Manic Man

^_^.. i guess am unlucky... How do you get to the roof then? I mostly enter via a vine arrow to the ledge bit which takes you to a small patrol guarded area. I tried pushing a keg up against on of the supports by the doors and then jump from the keg to the support but it wouldn't let me.. maybe i just need more work trying it.. odd but still..
I'm fantastic!"
Old 21st Sep 2007, 12:31 PM   #17
Keggie

part of the fun of anygame is exploring the maps and finding places you never knew you could get to, keep trying if you run out of ideas i will post a pic or two to show a few ways up keg and supports wasnt a bad idea ^^ iirc you need 2 people to go that way tho, but your not far off 1 way
Videos - YouTube
Old 21st Sep 2007, 01:59 PM   #18
Manic Man

yeah.. i know what you mean.. problem is one guy i play with does like my map exploring because i can know a map pretty well, he then plays it the first time and doesn't stand a chance ^_^
I'm fantastic!"
Old 21st Sep 2007, 09:21 PM   #19
Keggie

lolz ^^ thats the way it is with all games, people who dont know the maps are at a disadvantage but tbh.. if he doesnt know the map then its his fault
Videos - YouTube
Old 24th Sep 2007, 12:30 PM   #20
Manic Man

yep..

I finally got to the Roof but it seamed a pretty complex way of doing it and it was a real pain doing it without getting seen by any guards.. which remins me the Main thing i never liked about this map.. I can't use the catapults to fire me... it would be great fun.. guy 1 stands on Catapult, guy two pulls the switch... Is it a Bird? Is it a Plane? No It's A thief half pasted over the wall!
I'm fantastic!"
Old 24th Sep 2007, 12:55 PM   #21
Keggie

yep..

I finally got to the Roof but it seamed a pretty complex way of doing it and it was a real pain doing it without getting seen by any guards.. which remins me the Main thing i never liked about this map.. I can't use the catapults to fire me... it would be great fun.. guy 1 stands on Catapult, guy two pulls the switch... Is it a Bird? Is it a Plane? No It's A thief half pasted over the wall!
yes you can! theres 1 catapult that u can fire, theres a switch on it, jump on the arm, learn forward, flick switch and move bk a little and it fires you onto upper level of the stronghold section (the bit with the 1 ai that doesnt move) its easy do, but prob need to do it a few times to get the hang of it, once u play around a little you can also fire yourself up onto the outter wall and even over it gj on the roof find but as i said there isnt much point been up there but with the catapults, go watch gladius's TDQ video of stronghold as he uses it in that Link here for video downlaod of that
Videos - YouTube
Old 24th Sep 2007, 02:01 PM   #22
Manic Man

i got onto it but the arm just fird and i fell off. I'll keep on trying ^_^
I'm fantastic!"
Old 24th Sep 2007, 06:12 PM   #23
]>CoD<[Chief

And because I was trying to get other stuff to work, the BfS catapault can be used to throw more than just players and AI
Old 24th Sep 2007, 06:42 PM   #24
Keggie

Originally Posted by ]>CoD<[Chief: ( link to post ) 
And because I was trying to get other stuff to work, the BfS catapault can be used to throw more than just players and AI
hehe ^..^ i should add that stuff we did on video and post it ^^

keep at it Manic, it isnt hard to do at all, once you know the correct postion you will get it every time ^^
Videos - YouTube
Old 26th Sep 2007, 10:06 AM   #25
Manic Man

got it today.. found out the reasons i wasn't getting it working before.. i was using the wrong one.. the catapault by the back of the castle doesn't work the same, i can't stand on the arm at all..
I'm fantastic!"
Old 26th Sep 2007, 01:29 PM   #26
Keggie

oh lol, soz i thought u where playing with the offical stronghold version, only 1 catapult fires with that one. the reason that one doesnt work is because the mover colision isnt where the mover brush is, minor hicup chief couldnt be bothered to fix ^^
Videos - YouTube
Old 26th Sep 2007, 01:34 PM   #27
Manic Man

yeah.. i probbly should have said ^_^
I'm fantastic!"
Old 26th Sep 2007, 02:05 PM   #28
]>CoD<[Chief

Even if id bothered to fix the movers collision it would have done you no good since I deleted the kickers
Old 26th Sep 2007, 02:56 PM   #29
Keggie

aww should have had all 3 useable ^^
Videos - YouTube
Old 27th Sep 2007, 08:01 AM   #30
Manic Man

i think it's funny how the guards act to each other.. i came across a small circle of guards slowly trying to beat one in the middle to death... had to be about every guard in the front doing that.. didn't take any notice of me watching them..

that remins me.. i know different guards attack different groups AKA some will attack anyone, some will not attack guards etc.. but all of them attack thieves right? so i wonder why when i load it on a Thief Vs Guard match, it says there are 3 thieves.. part of that coding?
I'm fantastic!"