Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

View Poll Results: Are you still Happy US people?
Yes 6 27.27%
No 1 4.55%
Yes and I will still be 9 40.91%
I never was 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th Aug 2003, 09:28 AM   #1
Tisfulakistakagela

You all know about what happened about the 2 bombs of mass destraction that striked Nagashaki and Hirosima and today we are closing 58 years from these strikes... Some of you have read a lot about that and some of you have just heard the story or one of the *stories* that some people made to excuse some things (cough cough) anyways... What do I believe doesnt matter I just want to hear your opinion about this...
Old 6th Aug 2003, 10:02 AM   #2
TED NUGENT

Originally Posted by Tisfulakistakagela:
You all know about what happened about the 2 bombs of mass destraction that striked Nagashaki and Hirosima and today we are closing 58 years from these strikes... Some of you have read a lot about that and some of you have just heard the story or one of the *stories* that some people made to excuse some things (cough cough) anyways... What do I believe doesnt matter I just want to hear your opinion about this...
To the thwarkinator, sry about the quote, but I felt it was so precious, it shouldnt be changed.

My opinion is that mabe you should have taken the time to actually form a sentence. ops: Or learn how to spell, (or at least use spellcheck) or maby even use proper sentence structure, ya know,about like so we can know about what the hell your talking about.

You say your opine dosent matter? Well, I guess I cant find fault with that !
Are you still happy us people????? What the fuck does that mean??? Still Hafuckinppy about what you sick fuck ?? Then again, Mabye Im taking it all the wrong way. Im sorry, You were saying?
Old 6th Aug 2003, 10:10 AM   #3
Radamanthus

I have no reason to be unhappy, do i? Why would i be unhappy for a thing that i have very little, if anything, to do with? Why in the world would feel unhappy for something that has changed the world in a more positive way than an unpositive one?
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 10:24 AM   #4
Swiss Mercenary

Originally Posted by Radamanthus:
I have no reason to be unhappy, do i? Why would i be unhappy for a thing that i have very little, if anything, to do with? Why in the world would feel unhappy for something that has changed the world in a more positive way than an unpositive one?
So, you are implying that the Dresden carpet firebombing is also good, even though that was a german town of 650 000 civilians, refugees, ect, of no military importance whatsoever, that was literaly burnt to the ground by allied bombing. 2 days later, when rescue crews from neighbouring towns arrived, another wave of allied carpetbombings was sent to kill even more people.

But, hey, it in no way affects you, so screw them.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 10:29 AM   #5
Swiss Mercenary

Originally Posted by TED NUGENT:
(or atleast use spellcheck)
There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is MasterCard.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 10:34 AM   #6
TED NUGENT

Originally Posted by Swiss Mercenary:
(or at least use spellcheck)
There are some things money can't buy. For everything else, there is Mastercrad.
once again the us has to act as a crutch for some foreign entity
Old 6th Aug 2003, 10:35 AM   #7
Swiss Mercenary

once again the us has to act as a crutch for some foreign entity
I sure as hell didn't write that.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 10:59 AM   #8
TED NUGENT

No, But you did vote. And your not even a US people.BTW, No I didnt vote. I find the question objectional, and will not participate in the discussion !
Old 6th Aug 2003, 11:01 AM   #9
MortalMonkey

Location: A + Normal( B - A ) * ((( B - A ) dot ( P - A )) / VSize( A - B ))
LAME!
Old 6th Aug 2003, 11:07 AM   #10
Master-Builder

So, you are implying that the Dresden carpet firebombing is also good, even though that was a german town of 650 000 civilians, refugees, ect, of no military importance whatsoever, that was literaly burnt to the ground by allied bombing. 2 days later, when rescue crews from neighbouring towns arrived, another wave of allied carpetbombings was sent to kill even more people.

OMG! Firespammers!!!
Master-Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 11:28 AM   #11
Swiss Mercenary

Doesn't that just reek with irony...
Old 6th Aug 2003, 12:19 PM   #12
Radamanthus

No, i'm not implying that, instead teh circumstances of teh nuclearbombings furthered the human race with amazing amounts of technology. If these bombs were not dropped at thsis time at place, the world could very likely have been thrown headfirst into a nuclear winter, ruining both the economy and the environment in one felll swoop of terror. Instead, we are at a stalemate of war, each nation too afraid of the bomb to dare drop it on another. In short: a lot of good, as well as bad, came out of the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

If you want, i could go into a lot more detail, but if you read carefully and have an open mind, you can get what i mean.
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 12:30 PM   #13
Garlisk

I agree with Rad in both his posts.

EDIT: Oh, yeah..and i'm just a bit confused as to why the f*** you would post a topic like this. Its not current news (unless the 58 year anniversary of something is special and I didn't know it...). You just trying to create animosity or something?
Garlisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 12:41 PM   #14
Mad_Gerbil

I'm very proud of the USA's role in WWII.

At the end of that war we had a technology that would have allowed us to completely rule the world. Instead, that technology was used to force the enemy to surrender and which point the application of the technology stopped.

Japan got the beating they asked for when they started the war. Perhaps you should ask them if they are happy with thier decision?
Mad_Gerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 12:53 PM   #15
-=Moss=-

oh my, I usually dont intefeer in thoses matter..

but ww2 and united states...omg..

i still can't believe a lot of you US citizen still approuves the use of atomic during ww2...

And i still guess that you believe that the empire of Japan were the first to intefeer into the other's buisness...

An attack doesn't arrives just by...they are causes, wich I know aren't fully explained to the average US citizen..Some of you should check on Foreing history books and learn the true history of war in the pacific (wich didnt start at pearl harbor)...

For the use of atomic bombs (they arent nuke in case you didn't know) I totally disagree with their use in 1945. And someone gotta explain me why they dropped a second bomb, I believe one bomb dropped is more than enough to prouve you've got atomic power.

I am very proud to be a Canadian and not from elswhere.

I apologize for beeing blunt.
-=Moss=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 01:36 PM   #16
HammeriteGuard

I think the dropping of at least one atomic bomb was completely necessary. Had one not been dropped the war would have been much longer. Japan wasn't exactly the kind of empire with the mindset to surrender. In most Japanese opinions surrender was worse than death.
HammeriteGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 01:38 PM   #17
daniel

i don't approve of atomic bombs, even if they are used in a conservative way because we all live on the same earth which DOES have limited space. heck, i have seen some things that have come out of the area bombed, mutated frogs for example, and wonder if it will ever be completly safe to live there.

using them back then prompted other countries to get them as well, making them commonplace weapons of the new era. i remember a quote from einstien when he was asked what ww3 would be fought with, he replied that he didn't know but he knew what ww4 would be fought with, "sticks and stones". a strong saying when you stop to think on it.

moss, i think they dropped a second one because the wanted Japan to surrender faster, they also said that they had 100 more for them if they didn't. pretty gehy tatics but they would say all is fair in war :|
Old 6th Aug 2003, 01:54 PM   #18
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Mad_Gerbil:
Japan got the beating they asked for when they started the war. Perhaps you should ask them if they are happy with thier decision?
Where on earth did you get the idea that Japan started WWII? Japan wasn't even allied with Germany and Italy when THEY started WWII. It's true that Japan's bombing of Pearl Harbor brought the US into the war, but we'd been provoking them for 2 years already in an attempt to get them to take aggressive action against us, because FDR's administration wanted to enter WWII on the side of the Allies.

Originally Posted by -=Moss=-:
For the use of atomic bombs (they arent nuke in case you didn't know) I totally disagree with their use in 1945. And someone gotta explain me why they dropped a second bomb, I believe one bomb dropped is more than enough to prouve you've got atomic power.
Japan and the Allies were at something of a stalemate. We could eventually have overwhelmed them with conventional forces, but the losses on BOTH sides would have been heavier than what they were with the use of atomics. The US also did something unprecedented in the history of warfare and TOLD Japan what we were going to do, that we had a bomb that could destroy an entire city, and that we'd use it if they didn't surrender, and we leafleted Hiroshima telling the citizens to get out. They didn't surrender, they didn't evacuate. So we dropped one. They still didn't surrender. So we dropped another one. Then they surrendered.

The bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki seem horrible in retrospect, but taken in historical context, they made sense. They actually saved lives overall, certainly on the Allied side, but most likely on the Japanese side as well. And if you're proud NOT to have been a citizen of the country that dropped them, consider whether you should be proud to be a citizen of a country that approved of the US's actions at the time, as did Canada, Britain, France, and all the other Allied nations.
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 02:14 PM   #19
SiLeNt_NiGhT

It was those damn Naga-Shitake Mushrooms!!rofl!!
Striking fungii responsible for Mass distraction!
...there's no (fart, fart) excuses for me...roflmao!!!!

(Sorry Tisful... just funnin' with ya... :lol: :lol: :lol
SiLeNt_NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 03:08 PM   #20
TED NUGENT

Originally Posted by -=Moss=-:
And someone gotta explain me why they dropped a second bomb, I believe one bomb dropped is more than enough to prouve you've got atomic power.
Ill answer the last part first.........

"Proof" we had the bomb came at Trinity. Proof we were willing to use it came at Hiroshima.

Why did we drop the second bomb? Well In your "factual" history book, It should mention something about the fact that the Japanese govt were brainwashing their own people so as to make them easy to manipulate.

This was the key in japan lasting as long as they did in the war. Back then communications were not quite like they are today, especially in japan.

We dropped a bomb on hiroshima, didnt seem to get anyones attention. and reports inside japan were that there was an earthquake, no report that they were bombed at all (rember that brainwashing thing ?)

So, the decision was made to go ahead with the attack on nagasaki.

After all this, there was absolutly no way the Japanese govt could could deny they were defeated.

Originally Posted by daniel:
using them back then prompted other countries to get them as well, making them commonplace weapons of the new era.

Well, If this is what the "other" textbooks say, Im sure glad I were schooled in the USA.

Ya see, we stole (gasp) Einstein from the germans, Along with allmost all of Germanys atomic "secrets", and I think many of their scientists as well.

We didnt invent the bomb, didnt even pioneer the concept. But everyone should thank their god that we were sucessful in the development, rather than the Germans.

What do you think the world would be like today if Hitler had been sucessfull in his attempt to make the bomb work?
Old 6th Aug 2003, 03:37 PM   #21
Goliath The Thief

Ok...

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this... but it is NOT my intention...
I'll only SHARE what I UNDERSTOOD from a TV documentary, which was on WW2.

If I remember clearly:

At some point, it talked about the death of the US president Roosevelt. They said that the Japanese governor sent sympathies/condolences (I don't know how to say it in english) to Roosevelt's wife. They also said that Japan surrendered, but that president Truman didn't aknowledge it. Instead he ordered to drop the bomb on Hiroshima. Only after dropping the other bomb did Truman aknowledge the surrender.

If I remember clearly, this is what I saw in the documentary. Now I know someone will say "WRONG! YOU'RE F*CK*NG WRONG AND YOU'LL DIE 'TILL YOU'RE DEAD!!!!" but I just wanted to share what I had heard.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 04:12 PM   #22
Alpha-Omega

Dark side points!
Alpha-Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 04:14 PM   #23
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Goliath The Thief:
At some point, it talked about the death of the US president Roosevelt. They said that the Japanese governor sent sympathies/condolences (I don't know how to say it in english) to Roosevelt's wife. They also said that Japan surrendered, but that president Truman didn't aknowledge it. Instead he ordered to drop the bomb on Hiroshima. Only after dropping the other bomb did Truman aknowledge the surrender.
The Japanese surrendered after the second bomb was dropped. However, AFTER their surrender, a THIRD mission was in the air, ready to drop another bomb. That bomb would have been after the surrender. That mission was recalled, however.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 04:43 PM   #24
Tisfulakistakagela

Originally Posted by Garlisk:
(unless the 58 year anniversary of something is special and I didn't know it...). You just trying to create animosity or something?
I am not trying to create something and yes for some americans in my msn this day it is anniversary for killing 200.000 non-fighting people and after this attack there comes the worse...the hundred monsteroid kids that was born because of radioactivity. So I posted this because I wanted to know how many of US guys are still pride for such a thing... You guys want to win everything at all costs...

TED NUGENT : Forgive me for my english...it would be better for me if you be able to learn some Greek and tell you whats on my mind all in Greek...pretty comfusing huh?...is that easy to you? I guess not so it isnt easy for me to talk another language instead of my mother-language I try to do my best even though the result isnt good...
And something else yes my opinion doesnt matter because everybody knows how much the Greeks *love* american goverment...we dont have any problem with the people just with the way the goverment acts...Rulers of the world wow and your economy is based on the jews...wrong? Plus I dont want to say my opinion cause I will create a big flaming thread and I dont wanna even with my bad english.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 05:19 PM   #25
SNAFU

If killing 200,000 people with a bomb deserves it's own thread, how come we don't have one for 6 million Jews who were lied to, and "purified" by their country? How come there is no thread about the Stalinist Purges in Russia, which claimed as many lives as WWII itself?

At least the victims of Hiroshima died at the hands of a foreign enemy, one who did not hide himself in their country as secret police. I think it is much more horrifying for one to die at the hands of their own countrymen, as opposed to a foreigner they are at war with. At least in that case, you can expect to die.

And why the hell must all such threads involve the US in someway? What's the big rave about it?
Old 6th Aug 2003, 05:21 PM   #26
LaughingRat

So I posted this because I wanted to know how many of US guys are still pride for such a thing... You guys want to win everything at all costs...
Dude, first off, we were never proud to have killed so many non-combatants. That's just what happens in war. Second, almost no one who took part in that war is still alive today. It's kind of like asking you Greeks if you're still proud of Alexander's invasion and takeover of Mesopotamia and the wholesale slaughter of non-fighting women and children that his troops committed.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 05:37 PM   #27
TED NUGENT

Not only that, But how the hell am I to know where your from ??
I am not trying to create something
In english we say "you did a terrable job"

So I posted this because I wanted to know how many of US guys are still pride for such a thing...
This is wanting to "NOT" start something ??

You guys want to win everything at all costs...
Who wants to loose at all costs ?
TED NUGENT :
And something else yes my opinion doesnt matter because everybody knows how much the Greeks *love* american goverment...
Now Im supposed to understand this ?? What the hell does it mean?

Plus I dont want to say my opinion cause I will create a big flaming thread and I dont wanna even with my bad english.
Sorry tis, You made your opinion clear the moment you hit send.

Just say whats on your mind and get it over with. If you had done this, I still wouldnt agree, But you would have my respect.

The way it stands, it just seems like your backpeddeling.

I feel your old enough to understand this would cause trouble, but Choose to do it anyway.

Ya dont have to understand greek to realize this will cause trouble.
Old 6th Aug 2003, 05:46 PM   #28
Garlisk

#1: That happened in a generation not close to mine.

#2: Had I been there, with all the killing in that war, I think I would have approved. The war had to end.

#3: In my generation now, we DON'T have to kill lotsa people to get the job done.
So, I don't think its right for you to accuse ME or ANYONE of doing something like this.
Garlisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 06:09 PM   #29
DarkProject

My opinion is that mabe you should have taken the time to actually form a sentence. ops: Or learn how to spell, (or at least use spellcheck) or maby even use proper sentence structure, ya know,about like so we can know about what the hell your talking about.
when people criticize spelling and spell something wrong themselves in the criticism, it always needs to be pointed out.
-=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip
DarkProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2003, 06:13 PM   #30
Lurox

The US never wanted to be evil, or vengeful (well, okay, maybe), really. I suppose they really did analyze every aspect of this action, and why it was the best option for the world. I'm no americain, but I agree with the bombing of those cities, especially since the japanese just wouldn't stop sending kamikazees (which were by far more stupid and barbarous than any atomic bombs).