Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Troubleshooting & Technical Help

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2009, 08:17 AM   #1
Schleicher

Vistaaaaa!

New PC, and since it does have alot of thingamabobs which wouldnt run on XP i had to make the switch. And now im confused by all this shit which keeps poppin up in ma face.

1.) Everytime i do something some extra window comes up asking for confirmation (like for the device manager pff). Looked up in the help and it said its totally helpful and i shouldnt disable it because it helps against evil intruders. So can i coz its kinda annoying.

2.) Theres some Windows Defender thing which i guess is antimalware. Is it good enough to make Spybot S&D reduntant?

3.)Internetwise im gonna do the usual Firefox, Adblock, Flashblock, Noscript. No probs or something new in this can of worms?

4.) I clicked all the crap on the right away but the bar persists. How do i get rid of it?

5.) Prolly someone knows XP-Antispy (small program where ya could disable all its little phone-home things). Is there a Vista Antispy and is it good? (Cant look now, pretty much barebones and still installing windows update. Posting with explorer, ew)

More to come mebbe.

EDIT : Lel it came with an upgrade option for windows 7. Haw Haw
Old 17th Aug 2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Chainsaws

1) Disable it and don't visit bestiality websites. It basically warns you when an application tries to change system config or install files to a system folder, it doesn't actually detect threats it just screams "Get the fuck off my lawn!" at anything it sees.
2) It's a passable anti-malware solution I suppose, it never really finds anything. I've seen it detect serious threats though but it won't do everything Spybot et al do (search hijacks etc.) that I'm aware of. It never bothers me either so I leave it installed.
3) Firefox runs fine just like on XP.
4) There's an icon in your system tray called 'Windows Sidebar', the options are in there somewhere but I think it's a 'start with windows' checkbox you need to find.
5) Not that paranoid I ever looked but if you find one I'll happily use it if you can link.
6) Get Windows 7 asap. Really. I'm using it now and it's Vista without the nagging and everything works properly and it uses fewer resources and...the list goes on. Just upgrade.
Old 17th Aug 2009, 10:32 AM   #3
Schleicher

Windows 7 isnt available here until October or so :d

Apparently Xp antispy is for Vista too (not windows 7 i think tho). Linkie. Dunno if im not indeed paranoid and this is one of those "tweaks" which do shit but it never hurt me, someone security-smart say something vv
Old 17th Aug 2009, 10:58 AM   #4
BiG_D
Super Moderator

Honestly just looks like a bunch of registry settings, most of which you can change via windows, wmp, etc.
Old 17th Aug 2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Chainsaws

I simply refuse to use WMP which takes care of 90% of my privacy concerns

Windows 7 isn't available here either but it's installed on my laptop
Old 17th Aug 2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Moses2k

Too bad there's no vidya player as decent as Media Player Classic on Lunix. SMPlayer comes close, tho.

So, Karmic Koala comes out in October too, you know. NEVER FORGET.
Old 18th Aug 2009, 02:18 AM   #7
immortius

Originally Posted by Schleicher: ( link to post ) 
Windows 7 isnt available here until October or so :d
Irrelevant. You can download the pre-release version now and use it for free until March next year, and obtain an actual version later.
Old 18th Aug 2009, 03:20 AM   #8
Schleicher

Im not even done setting up everything still, dont feel like experiments. I can cope with Vista until the finished thing comes around i think :s
Old 18th Aug 2009, 04:04 AM   #9
Chainsaws

Originally Posted by immortius: ( link to post ) 
Irrelevant. You can download the pre-release version now and use it for free until March next year, and obtain an actual version later.
You will have to do a clean install when you get your hands on the full retail version. I've already had to do one because my pre-pre-release version expired.
Old 29th Aug 2009, 09:12 AM   #10
-KewlAzMe-

On the topic of Windows 7... For those of you with netbooks, I highly recommend it. I have the aspire one and the switch from XP to 7 was a huge improvement. Mainly with file access and disk os, but also with snappier responses to ui clicks.
All drivers were found automatically except the touchpad (For the sidepad scroll feature). That one works with the latest vista driver tho.
Old 29th Aug 2009, 04:45 PM   #11
Schleicher

Some weirdo issue. Autoupdate crap of programs (Java for example) opens the "Establish connection with [my isp]" prompt (the one where you enter your password and such and connect to the web) if im not connected to the web. I can squash those "helpful" bloatsacks individually by disabling their update function or if that doesnt work then in msconfig or deinstalling their phone home program components and such but is there some option hidden somewhere which prohibits that in the first place? Its quite disruptive, if im playing a game i get thrown into like a 3 minutes freeze with no possibility to alt-tab out or use task manager or whatever until they resolve they cant connect to whatever crap.
Old 29th Aug 2009, 05:26 PM   #12
Moses2k

Could use OpenJDK6 instead of Sun Java? SRWare Iron instead of Chrome. Foxit instead of Acrobat Reader. Quicktime and Real Player Alternative (unless you have iTunes), etc. Don't think there's any way to avoid having to manually do that disabling shite.

Possible that going into Control Panel or IE, then Internet Options (talking XP here), going to the network tab and saying 'never try to connect' might do it, tho.
Old 30th Aug 2009, 12:44 AM   #13
Schleicher

Chrome? :p

There actually was such a setting in System -> Internet options, enabled by default. What the fuck Vista? Hope thats the end of that then. Still gonna have to google system start/service exes again i guess, lotsa new stuff in there i dont know ._.

Have a bug cookie
Old 30th Aug 2009, 02:04 PM   #14
Moses2k

Hey, I don't use Chromium myself cuz I have just too many Firefox extensions I can't live without. It's nice to recommend to clients who the the 'fox is too slow, however.

Isn't the Mozilla Jetpack stuff supposed to work in any standards-compliant browser? Haven't read much of anything on that past hearing about it. Maybe it can't create GUI elements, tho (browser chrome (not Chrome)).
Old 10th Sep 2009, 10:22 AM   #15
Schleicher

Prolly not vista-specific but here we go.

I need general tips on what to do when a mixed mode audio game isnt looping its tracks, means plays once and then stays silent until its supposed to play a different track (via area change or whatev).

I did all the shit which usually solved this on xp but nuttin werks and the only workarounds (play it on external player, restart track with ingame console) are all crummy, halp :<
Old 10th Sep 2009, 05:35 PM   #16
Baz

What's the game? any obvious audio type dlls in the games lib folder? etc.?
Old 10th Sep 2009, 06:12 PM   #17
Schleicher

Turok 1 & 2. Second one needs a patch to get CD audio at all and seems the looping is caused by that because its not vista compatible (the patch) but the first got it too so there seems to be some general wrongness.

Turok 1 has only vintage (3dfx etc) video dlls and nothing else.

Turok 2 doesnt seem to have any either. Theres some called cms16, cms32_95, cms32_nt but those seem to be related to copy protection. Copying Music files into the game directory doesnt work because it doesnt access them and there seems to be no way to make it do (theres only a single and very tiny .ini. If theres a command to point it at a specific directory its likely lost in time). Compatibility modes up to and including NT make it crash and the others dont make a difference. Either its using some dodgy built-in player or its uh, communicating wrongly with media player or whatever is set up as primary player. Fiddling with media file associations didnt help either (most likely using .cda). Going the extra step and burning the audio to another cd and running it with a cracked exe didnt work, tested it with some other cd and it wouldnt start it automatically altho i could start music with the console but then it would just play everything in order, no music changes upon transitions etc. Maybe the files would have to be named exactly like the original tracks tho, think ill risk wasting a disk on that experiment tomorrow ._.
Old 10th Sep 2009, 06:25 PM   #18
Baz

........ why can't you install it on your windows 95 box which you obviously have because you are such a hardcore gamer, or your N64... or go play Assassins Creed, I hear that's pretty.
Old 10th Sep 2009, 06:52 PM   #19
Schleicher

Ya right get another stupid PC to upset me with silly problems. Could play it on N64 or emulator sure but both control like ass, TV is old and very unhighdefinition and gives me eyestrain especially when staring at really old pixelated stuff long and i need ma quicksaving.

Assassins Creed whatlol that wasnt helpful at all, you been drinking again? >:I
Old 10th Sep 2009, 08:25 PM   #20
Moses2k

I think both of you are missing the point; it's fucking TUROK. You could just NOT PLAY IT, lol.
Old 11th Sep 2009, 04:27 AM   #21
Chainsaws

Or wait for Windows 7, it apparently has a built in XP virtual machine for such nefarious purposes as playing TUROK O_0
Old 11th Sep 2009, 07:06 AM   #22
Schleicher

Turok 1 merits could be discussed, its a nostalgia thing. Back then it was the shit, ULTRA 64 has CGI LEVEL GRAPHICS OMG and if you shot trees with the grenade launcher they toppled and shit, so there. Also it had a Tyrannosaurus boss who shed its skin and became more robotic the more damaged he got. With eyelaser!

Turok 2 isnt that bad i think. Fun weps, good levels and gore is lol (shoot a hole in a lizardman!)
Old 11th Sep 2009, 07:21 AM   #23
Machine

<lips move>............. MECHA GODZILLA!
Old 11th Sep 2009, 07:26 AM   #24
Schleicher

No hes way cooler
Old 11th Sep 2009, 07:54 AM   #25
Chainsaws

Sorry, Mechagodzirra had rockets for fingers. Debate terminated.
Old 11th Sep 2009, 08:46 AM   #26
Machine

Quote:
Mechagodzilla is capable of firing a rainbow colored optical beam that was able to match Godzilla's atomic breath, known as the "Space Beam". Its head can rotate a full 360 degrees, allowing the robot to shoot down an opponent that might attempt to approach from behind. Mechagodzilla's head is also able to generate a cylindrical force-field around the robot's body by spinning around rapidly. When disguised as Godzilla, Mechagodzilla used a Flamethrower from its mouth to mimic the real Godzilla's atomic breath. After the disguise was destroyed, Mechagodzilla never used that weapon again.

The Showa Mechagodzilla is also equipped with powerful missiles in its fingers, knees, and even its toes. These missiles can explode on contact with a target or lodge in an enemy's flesh like darts. Located under a hatch in Mechagodzilla's chest is a weapon that fires a jagged orange energy beam with enough power to cut a mountain in half. Mechagodzilla 2 was able to increase the velocity of its finger missiles by rapidly rotating its hands and could also fire a ray from under its head when it was ripped off.

Mechagodzilla hes been shown capable of using its beam and missile weapons simultaneously and against multiple targets, at one time engaging Godzilla to the front and King Caesar to the rear.
The end boss on Turok doesn't even have his own wiki page.
Old 11th Sep 2009, 08:51 AM   #27
BiG_D
Super Moderator

This is going nowhere productive.

Tags
chekovs brain parasite, chekovs earworm, chekovs gun, learned how to tag, mechagodizzla, was grody