Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Troubleshooting & Technical Help

Old 12th Dec 2009, 02:25 PM   #1
industrialism

Can't install OS, new build with errors.

Hello,
System spec

*Intel I7 920 cpu
*Asus P6t deluxe v2 mobo (the one with the removed sas)
*Crucial Ballistix Tracer ddr3 3x2gb 6gb kit 1333mhz ram (du flashy blue'nz)
*western digital velociraptor "du new'n wid the heatsink" (sata)
*lg blue ray rom drive (sata)
*tagan 700w piperock psu (gourgous)
*CM COSMOS S, (has advanced front panel jumpers, interfere?)

Currently no OS installed "why"> I cant get to this point...lol (will be windows 7 64 bit hopefully eventually)

error no 1
"reboot and select a proper boot device or insert selected boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

(went into bios) tried mulitiple different orders to boot from cd first then my new blank hdd, even used the ide port on the board to try boot the cd from a non sata (ide dvd rom), in varying manual prioritized orders.

Error no 2
"adaptor 1 no hard disk detected"

(disabled "marvell storage boot rom" in bios) this error is to do with trying to boot from an external source or network, taking into consideration one of the bios options (marvell storage controller shuts the satas 1-6 off), I tried turning that off and using the ide dvd rom method, as well as sata bd rom, (every which way experiments) with the boot order varying, no luck, got error no 1 back, error 2 only sometimes appears before error one...

error no 3 (my fault)

"pxe media test cable fail dhcp fail",
Or some error to that wording (I've created this one) unlike the two above that were native after assembly, and learned of while proceeding to the black screen to boot the os from the disk drive.

turned a load of stuff off experimented like I've wrote above, and got error 3.

Been forum gandering, I've had enough... does anyone here know what I'm doing wrong?
thanks for looking.

asus express gate rocks by the way, if you understand what situation im in, no OS, no windows, and that still with my new pc I can browse the www.

Last edited by industrialism; 12th Dec 2009 at 03:38 PM.
industrialism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Dec 2009, 03:27 PM   #2
westy

I'm guessing your first problem is you can't boot off the DVD to install Win 7?

Do you know if the DVD you are using boots or that your DVD drive reads it properly? Try both drive and disk in a different PC.
Old 12th Dec 2009, 03:33 PM   #3
industrialism

Can't get to that stage, error 1. In asus express gate a (pre/non os application of my new build) I can read the disc in the bd rom and dvd rom, setup.exe and all the other icons you would find if you explored it through an os (my computer icon for example) both drive and disc work.

thx for your reply Westy.
Old 12th Dec 2009, 03:54 PM   #4
westy

Just gonna fire some potentially useless suggestions at you...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...5985_12_0.html

This looks similar, in short disable express gate before boot. (Didn't work for him thou...)

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Again similar, in short upgrade Firmware of DVD drive / use different CD for install.

Other options are change ACHI mode to RAID or vice versa.

There is an option in your BIOS (according to this manual, under 'others' OS section.)

ACHI CD/DVD Boot Time out. Try increasing that to 35.
Old 12th Dec 2009, 04:31 PM   #5
industrialism

Ok good news, progression...

I chose "raid" not ide or achi which im going to change back soon to achi as I wont be using that feature & dont think it has anything to do with the following... (I turned off everything lan 1 & 2, both controllers storage port "1394!?" etc everything, and put the disk in the dvd rom linked to the mobo on the ide port with an ide lead lablled cd-rom not hdd (for those copying and experimenting like me), and its said

"loading windows" lmfao

It did that and went to a colourful desktop style background and locked up, it wont restart or turn off, went back to bios everything I turned off is back to default and everytime I start up I get the "loading windows" and a colourful lock up, so long as the disk is in the ide dvd rom, otheriwse I have to put it there (reactivated bd-rom to find that out)

I'm not on a black screen typing "c:\setup.exe" its just going nuts loading then locking up, I have mouse movement but nothing to click (not a proper lock up), surely I should be manualy installing?

Ok guess not its just slow, its installing it now,had to wait... it was ready wednesday my pc, everyday like a cave man proding bios!

fin.
Old 12th Dec 2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Moses2k

Should have put some of the money from the i7 into an SSD.
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2009, 12:10 PM   #7
industrialism

Errors on bcg hmm, unheard of...

"a required CD/DVD drive device driver is missing.
If you have a driver floppy disk, cd dvd or usb flash drive please
insert it now"

I'm owned, your thoughts?
Old 13th Dec 2009, 05:01 PM   #8
Moses2k

http://www.ubuntu.com/ ?

tl;dr, did you try a different optical drive for install?
Old 13th Dec 2009, 05:36 PM   #9
westy

Weird that you would have that error when installing using a drive on an IDE connection; I would understand if it was a on a SATA connection.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=iRlP8RG9han6saZx > Downloads

If you have a memory stick, you could download and extract the drivers for the Marvell and the Intel SATA onto a memory stick and browse for those drivers at that point in the install.

(From that site, it looks like the Marvell controller is for the IDE and the rear SATA port, but I have no idea what driver it's looking for. )

Crazy bonus solution:
If your DVD has both IDE and SATA connections, you could try connecting it to the back SATA port and try installing from that.
Old 13th Dec 2009, 08:13 PM   #10
Thebos

This repeats stuff that's been said, and some is obvious, but easier for me to spew out without trying to filter the junk:

As Express Gate is working, and you can read the hard drive and the optical drive through, I would assume these are properly connected and powered (at least for now). Also, would assume the memory sticks are in the proper slots (i.e. A1,B1,C1).

Make sure you have the BIOS updated.

Would also recommend ACHI to be on before install.

Not sure what you mean by advacned front panel jumpers for your case. Looking at the case, nothing unusual. Assuming it is connected correctly, should be okay. If unsure, I believe your Motherboard has buttons for reset and power on so you can try without case connections.

If quick boot is on, turn it off for now. Turn it back on once you get things running. Might pick up an error that explains everything.

Have a similar board, running BIOS 2.61. Based on that, in the BIOS:
A) MAIN=> STORAGE CONFIG:
-> Make sure Hard drive write protect is disabled.
-> As stated, SATA to AHCI

B) MAIN=>AHCI SETTINGS:
-> Boot time setting (in seconds)?
-> All drives (optical and hard drive) detected?

C) ADVANCED=> PCIPnP
-> Plug and play OS should be "yes"

D) ADVANCED=> ONBOARD:
-> What is disabled?

E) BOOT=> HARD DISK DRIVES:
-> what is listed?
Old 15th Dec 2009, 04:48 AM   #11
Ki!ler-Mk1

Not helpful, but i have the v1 mobo, and i am planning on changing some hardware and maybe a hdd, you are scaring me
Old 20th Dec 2009, 08:32 AM   #12
industrialism

Windows XP FTW!
Windows 7 another day, just want to play some tut!
Old 20th Dec 2009, 09:12 AM   #13
Hybrid

That poem did not even rhyme.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Dec 2009, 12:24 PM   #14
Moses2k

Perhaps a careful review of his rhythmic options... is in order.

His 3-4 Temporal Signatories render his beats practically waltzin'?
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 07:48 PM   #15
industrialism

Installed Windows 7 32 bit, its ok (chess titans ftw!) I deleted the "windows.old" folder and (if not related to this fault) put the mobo disc in, and it would not read it so no internet access driver etc, unless you aquired and installed the drivers another long ass way, so fed up... I reinstalled xp, I still cant find the windows 7 64bit driver that im looking for, at the collecting information screen. all I wanted was dx10 graphics features in my games, need this driver and it wont say which, great.
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 11:12 PM   #16
Moses2k

Maybe this way you'll find time to get back to your job of restoring the world...to equilibrium.
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 08:29 AM   #17
Thebos

Assuming your Win7 CD is authentic, is it retail, OEM, or upgrade?

Also:
I know the drive is SATA, but check for jumper setting on the drive. Have a vague memory about that causing problems at times. If jumper is there try removing it. Check net for SATA jumper config's for more information

Also:
Try a slower hard drive speed through the BIOS or Jumpers (pins 5-6 I believe for WD drives).

Also:
Found in this thread here at the ASUS site.

Driver or HDD firmware issue:

o Cause: SATA/RAID Driver loaded may need to be matched with specific versions of SATA/RAID BOOTROM, or the controller’s behavior under AHCI mode, in order to allow the controller and device to function correctly. System may result in fail to install operating system, performance drop, or even not detecting HDD during OS installation process if the drivers are not matched. (Note: Some versions of Windows may have been bundled with a previously existed version of driver for a particular controller.) Only when this driver also matches with SATA/RAID BOOTROM or controller behavior under AHCI mode, would the controller be able to function without fail. The same could also happen if the HDD firmware is not fully compatible with such SATA/RAID controller.

o Suggestion: Always use the latest version of BIOS and drivers available from ASUS download page at: http://support.asus.com.tw unless specially mentioned on either the download page or FAQ page to avoid this kind of troubles. For HDD firmware issues, please kindly consult HDD vendor for further assistance.

Also:
Read that for Win7, per "Windows 7 Administrator's Pocket Consultant" by William R. Stanek, might be a good idea to turn off Speedstep Tech and also Intel Quick Resume Tech (in the BIOS). Considering Win7 is supposed to take more direct control of the motherboard, this might make sense.
Old 14th Mar 2010, 08:15 PM   #18
industrialism

"Windows 7" or more specific like moir, rc2 2008 home premium anyone? if you had problems before and couldn't install or expeirienced any difficulties with the OS installed, they should be gone now, as part of the updates during installation while connected to the internet, and the continuos work of whoever you are, that made me very happy-thank you.

Even chess titans got an update, you can play as black and (move second) (10 levels of difficulty) things like that, and a compatability mode (like trying to get soldier of fortune to work).

If you are having problems reading discs in my computer in windows 7 make sure you know if your rom is set slave or master, trial and error using old rig parts made one barely function correctly using ide connection (disc name and size, explore/open would crash, and no avatar icon for the disc). My other rom created a working configuration through ide, in the end (jumpers on the back of the roms indicating master/salve settings must of caused a confliction), and in the background a third second hand blu ray drive which still even now doesnt work was potenially faulty all along which uses sata, but to begin with you think its the OS, not your equipment.

My pc doesn't have a floppy drive but if it did there are 32 and 64 bit drivers not on the motherboard disk in the os but outside like trying to boot from it, you can create a boot type floppy driver, with my lack of knowledge I'm bot suprised I was stumped, and if I did download the correct driver and try usb flash/dongle type make shift driver it failed, everytime I attempted zipped and unzipped "insert driver" os installation of windows 7.

Thank you to those who replied, "its been emotional".