I am restarting my project (the map formerly known as TH-Library)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Antero90
    • Jan 2003

Another update from work, that means no pictures but I can upload them later if you want.

The mockup test was a failure.
    Basically, I got the width just about right but not enough deepness, so rooms are large enough but too small, the height looks ok as well, so I am getting there when it comes to basic geometry.
    One of the rooms I had planned was a big staircase, well, that room turned out to be very small and there was no room for the stairs, so I am now playing with that particular room. This room is the central room so if I get this one the right all other rooms should have the proper size.

At this rate I hope to have the basic geometry done by the end of the month. By basic geometry I mean just the room shapes with no doors, added brushes, etc. I droped playing with doors at the moment since I havent quite figured out what I am doing wrong to get them non solid. But I am planning on zoning all rooms, is that a good or a bad thing?

My fear at this point is if I will need to split up corridors as they will be quite long, it should be a smaller issue with today's computer's, but I am aiming at a proper UED mapping so that the map doesnt get too heavy performance wise.

A small note.
    UED is quite an interesting tool, first it tries to disuade you by putting huge or too small brushes, it refuses to obey you, it crashes and laughs at you. But once you learn to get around it things start to look much easier and UED itself starts to look friendly. I can only imagine the hell that must be mapping in dromed, I read some horror stories about it.
    Feel the power of the

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
      • Jul 2004

But once you learn to get around it things start to look much easier and UED itself starts to look friendly.
      Trots up to you looking friendly, bites your hand off.

Beware the goblins are just plotting something new if UED isn't crashing.

You-have-been-waarrrnnned!!!

[E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Antero90
        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by ]>CoD<[Chief View Post

You!

You let the final goblin hide and now the thing has multiplied!

So this week I have been literally wrestling stairs, late work and unnounced visitors.

Stairs are giving me more trouble than I expected, aparently it takes a lot of room to make them and the higher you need them the more steps you need. So the big square I had in the center of my map is becoming something of a mamoth. I suspect I will need to redesign them. Part of the problem is that the rooms are a bit higher then normal, so I need more steps, and more steps means more room. I will try to move the steps around and see what I can come up with.
        It will be an interesting job since I will be returning very late (have a dinner with some job mates) and the last thing I will want to see is UED and its antics.

*Burns Chief*
        Feel the power of the

Comment

• immortius
          • Jan 2003

I warned you about stairs bro!!!! I told you dog!
          Immortius' Forge

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
            • Jul 2004

And you can't even fiddle with the step height to help you out, unless you go changing all the guard maximum step height settings (which means they can jump up on tables etc) and hope that human players learn to mantle the steps
            [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Keggie
              • Aug 2005

chief should know, i believe the goblin came from h-20, before that map was made there was no such thing as a bsp hole

And you can't even fiddle with the step height to help you out, unless you go changing all the guard maximum step height settings (which means they can jump up on tables etc) and hope that human players learn to mantle the steps
              step height dont matter, just make an invis ramp brush over the steps. take a look at.. nostaliga (i think) for an example. long as the ramp isnt steep enough so players side down it, you should be fine.
              [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
              Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
              AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
              Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Antero90
                • Jan 2003

Two screenshots today. They show the 2 versions of the stairs I am testing.

The shot named 6 is actually the stair has I had originally designed it. Shows how much I knew about sizes back then, looks really horrible. If I put that space in the middle the stair looks too big and it doesnt look that good.
                The other shot is another version I tried after the «original», but im not happy with it either, it still looks too big. I did not wanted to copy the style of Th-Gerome, but seeing as space gets too small I will probably go for it, but i will try making it slightly diferent.
                I will post more shots later once I have done a few more mockups.

Edit: It really helps making saves at each change,much easier to redo stuff.

Ok, I got another model of staircase working (shot 7), it looks much better, a bit tall, but it's because the corridors are tall as well. I think i will adopt this model as a final choice. Will need some flat brushes, some pillars... hmm, should I cover those side steps completly?

Edit2: Uploaded 2 more pics with the adjacent platforms
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Antero90; 10 Jul 2011, 01:57 PM.
                Feel the power of the

Comment

• Schleicher
                  • Jun 2003

If you intend to make the side stairs "free floating" id vertex edit the undersides, the lego block shapes dont look very good.
                  My leet Thievery Map
                  My leet UT3 Map
                  My leet AS Map

Comment

• NeuroFunkeR
                    • Jan 2010

i hope we wont see the bottom of stairs ingame? Cause this will look weird.

Comment

• Antero90
                      • Jan 2003

WOW! I guess those mockups made some people touchy. But good to see there is some interest in this.

Well, yes, I agree that they dont look great, but the first idea was to evaluate space and placement. I will try to make some adjustments today and see what I can come up with.

One thing that is puzzling me are the guards, are those made in the 2D Shape editor? I took a look at the ones in Th-Gerome and they do look like custom made brushes.
                      Feel the power of the

Comment

• Schleicher
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Antero90 View Post
                        WOW! I guess those mockups made some people touchy
                        Theres quite a visible gap in 8.jpg or 9.jpg :p

Guards like the normal dudes walking around hitting stuff with a mace? Should be somewhere in actor -> pawns.
                        My leet Thievery Map
                        My leet UT3 Map
                        My leet AS Map

Comment

• Antero90
                          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Schleicher View Post
                          Theres quite a visible gap in 8.jpg or 9.jpg :p

Guards like the normal dudes walking around hitting stuff with a mace? Should be somewhere in actor -> pawns.
                          I meant stair guards.
                          Feel the power of the

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
                            • Jul 2004

I think he means the bannisters.

And I don't recall seeing any bannister meshes, so they're probably semi solid brushes in all cases.
                            [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Schleicher
                              • Jun 2003

Oh lol

Yeah i guess either meshes (if theyre not in the thievery editor maybe embedded in mylevel) or made from brushes (either lotsa little finnicky brushes or made entirely in 2dshape).
                              My leet Thievery Map
                              My leet UT3 Map
                              My leet AS Map

Comment

• Antero90
                                • Jan 2003

After a year I finally got the time to pickup the project, another year of delay, but hey, this was suposed to be TH-DNF.

In the last few days I took another look at the staircase, for some reason I always got stuck in there. On paper it looked fine, a stairway with some platforms, but seeing it ingame it looked too much Gerome. Today, as I was writting stuff for the story I had an idea. So in a couple minutes I did a quick study for a possible replacement. Because it was made on the fly it looks a bit tight, I will make another one with sizes closer to what I need and post my results.
                                th-antero-new hall1.jpg
                                Feel the power of the

Comment

Working...
                                X