• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoodlesUK
    • Jul 2010

Player Animation Errors

Hi all.

I'm working on a mod for Alien Swarm, and I'm currently trying to do what honestly ought to be a simple process - replace the characters.

To do this, I've decompiled the marine.mdl, replaced the mesh with my own, skinned to the original bones. Doesn't matter if it isn't skinned properly yet, I just want a test before I tweak it.

I've then exported this as the ref smd, renamed the qc path and compiled.

Trouble is, it's borked. Constant errors flash up on the compiler about the bounding box, and when I looked further, I found that on importing the smds to max most of them had serious glitches.

I tried to solve this by using an $includemodel line in my new character's qc, thereby replacing all the animations in the qc with those of the original marine model. (Previously tried creating an animation only mdl as well, neither worked in the end).

So what's going on? Also, why are the models in left hand coordinate space? Never had that before with HL2/etc models.

Ideally, I'd love to get my hands on the original smd set for alienswarm, similar to the way it's provided for HL2. I know that's unlikely, but I figured I ask!

But really, if any of the devs happen to read this, or someone who has also been trying to change player models, I could really use the help. I'm guessing it's something to do with the decompile of the mdls, I used the tutorial provided on this forum for that.

Many thanks.

Oh and also, why doesn't the zarking mdlviewer work!?
  • Wolfbullet
    • Dec 2004

I've not tried to recompile anything yet so can't help much. I'll maybe try tommorow.

It could well be the decompiling though. Cannons MDL Decompiler is fairly old and hasn't been updated in a long time as far as I understand, none of the model decompiler tools I've found are really up to date with the current Source games.

Like I said I've never tried to change a model for a Source game before but maybe replacing an animated model isn't the best place to start. You could try messing around with one of the weapons to see if you have any more luck. That way it'd give more clue if it's to do with the animations specifically, or the decompiling or the recompiling etc.

Comment

• NoodlesUK
      • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Wolfbullet View Post
      I've not tried to recompile anything yet so can't help much. I'll maybe try tommorow.

It could well be the decompiling though. Cannons MDL Decompiler is fairly old and hasn't been updated in a long time as far as I understand, none of the model decompiler tools I've found are really up to date with the current Source games.

Like I said I've never tried to change a model for a Source game before but maybe replacing an animated model isn't the best place to start. You could try messing around with one of the weapons to see if you have any more luck. That way it'd give more clue if it's to do with the animations specifically, or the decompiling or the recompiling etc.
      Yes, it's almost certainly a decompile error, doesn't really help me.

I'd really like some answers from the devs, because at the moment it seems that AlienSwarm was released with this big hype about it having an SDK and being moddable, but then it's completely impossible for modellers and animators to create content.

So are there any plans to remedy this? (i.e fix hlmv would be a start) If there are, what's the timescale?

And if not, then can I just beg for some SMDs? I know that may seem like a lot to ask but it would make such a difference for modellers in the community and really allow mods to take off.

Comment

• cani
        • Jul 2010

Originally posted by NoodlesUK View Post
        And if not, then can I just beg for some SMDs? I know that may seem like a lot to ask but it would make such a difference for modellers in the community and really allow mods to take off.
        Yes can we please get some sample models like marine and a few aliens?

Comment

• Viper45
          • Jul 2010

Yeah, I have to agree about the SDK. One of the biggest things about this game was going to be its modability, and while they support mappers and coders, they left 3D modelers out in the cold. Pretty disappointing, really. I was looking forward to modding this game, but it's turning out to be more trouble than its worth.

Comment

Working...
          X