Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 13th May 2003, 01:43 PM   #1
MortalMonkey

Location: A + Normal( B - A ) * ((( B - A ) dot ( P - A )) / VSize( A - B ))
I intend this as a thread where people can post their mutator(s).
I'll start off with the only unb0rked (AFAIK) mutator I've made so far, the Torch Snuffer.

What it does:
From the game starts, the TorchSnuffer sits there and snuffs (extinguishes) random torches throughout the map.

Installation:
Unzip the TorchSnuffer.u and TorchSnuffer.int files to your UT\system folder, and the ThMutators.ini if you haven't got one already*. If you do have the file, just cut&paste everything from the one in the zip to the one in the system folder (below everything else).
Now start a new multiplayer game and add the TUT Torch Snuffer mutator, and you're good to go.

Configuration:
Open the ThMutators.ini file in your ststem folder, and take a look at the lines beneath [TorchSnuffer.MTorchSnuffer]:
 Quote:
MinSnuffTime=0
MaxSnuffTime=600
OneTorchSnuffTimeAdd=400
bTorchNumDependant=True
This is what they do:
MinSnuffTime - the minimum time (in seconds) it waits before it snuffs a new torch.
MaxSnuffTime - the maximum time (in seconds) it waits before it snuffs a new torch.
OneTorchSnuffTimeAdd - This one's a bit more complicated. This number is divided by the number of lit torches, and adds the result to the MinSnuffTime. That means that if only one torch is lit, it will in this case take a minimum of 400 seconds for the torch to go out, while if 20 torches are lit, it will take a minimum of 20 seconds for one of the torches to go out.
bTorchNumDependant - This is a bool (can be either true or false) that decides if the OneTorchSnuffTimeAdd should be added to the MinSnuffTime or not.

Bugs & suggestions:
If you've found any bugs or got any suggestions on this mutator, just email or PM me and I'll see what I can do.

*I'm hoping that other mutator makers will agree with me that using only one configuration file for all TUT mutators would be more easy, so I suggest we should all use "ThMutators" for that purpose.
Old 13th May 2003, 02:42 PM   #2
KewlAzMe
Banned

Good stuff MM. Im working on combining two mutators into one for matrix style slow mo.
KewlAzMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2003, 02:59 PM   #3
Kain

There is a Mutator like that Kewl... And you can do wall run...
Old 13th May 2003, 03:14 PM   #4
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Kain:
There is a Mutator like that LR... And you can do wall run...
Huh?
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2003, 04:08 PM   #5
The_Dan

From this thread: http://www.thieveryut.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1548

Originally Posted by The_Dan:
Torch-Extinguisher: Makes torches randomly go out, in the level, over time. Taken from my map & currently being converted into mutator-form.
I've given up hope on my scripting for now; whenever I start something AND make it public knowledge, someone else just decides to do it aswell.

(I am actually scripting something at the moment, but I'm not gonna say what it is because I don't want anyone else to start working on it aswell, just to piss me off)
The_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2003, 04:22 PM   #6
LaughingRat

(I am actually scripting something at the moment, but I'm not gonna say what it is because I don't want anyone else to start working on it aswell, just to piss me off)
If you tell me what it is, I PROMISE not to start working on it!

Old 13th May 2003, 05:09 PM   #7
Kain

Originally Posted by LaughingRat:
Huh?
Matrix moves and 2 other Mutators...
Old 13th May 2003, 05:13 PM   #8
Oie

Name: Poltergeists
Description: Invisible AI throws household objects around at random and occasionally moves to new "haunt" based on the pathnode with the most surrounding throwable objects.

Name: Haunts
Description: Turns AI into haunts on any level. Changes skin, sounds, and speed. Meant for Co-op games.
Status: Skins, speed work. Currently in limbo since these were *sort of* implemented in Souls Harbor. If there is any interest I may resume this project.

Name: Loadout Optimizer
Description: Keep track of how many of each item you buy during loadout and how many you use before death/level end. I intend to have it collect data in an INI file over time. At some point in the future one would conceivably export/analyze the data with a *cough* Perl script and find out how spending habits should be altered for any given level or team.

Like my avatars?
Oie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2003, 05:35 PM   #9
LaughingRat

Huh?
Nono, why did you direct that comment at ME?
Old 13th May 2003, 05:40 PM   #10
Kain

Oh, sh*t.... Sorry LR... I meant Kewl...
Old 13th May 2003, 06:12 PM   #11
The_Dan

Originally Posted by Oie:
Name: Haunts
Description: Turns AI into haunts on any level. Changes skin, sounds, and speed. Meant for Co-op games.
Status: Skins, speed work. Currently in limbo since these were *sort of* implemented in Souls Harbor. If there is any interest I may resume this project.
I was thinking that this one may be better suited to a seperate game-type, although the mutator we embedded in Souls-Harbour covers most of the undead features (damage-wise anyway).

I've been thinking over game-types, and I think using the undead hasn't been as fully milked as could be.
Old 13th May 2003, 06:45 PM   #12
Oie

I like the haunts in Souls Harbor, but honestly they don't *scare* me. They need some haunt-like sounds. I know in the Thief games the thing that scared me most about the haunts was the laughing noise they made when they noticed me. That often sent chills down my spine.

I don't think my mutator alters the game significantly. What are your criteria for deciding whether to designate something as a gametype or just a mutator?
Oie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2003, 07:50 PM   #13
Nachimir

I like the haunts in Souls Harbor, but honestly they don't *scare* me. They need some haunt-like sounds.
I actually think the silence when they notice you is great for spookiness, but different walking sounds would be good: creaking or clicking joints perhaps. The lack of warning when they notice you portrays an almost animalistic singleness of purpose, not accompanied by any need to communicate. I think some well done creepy movement sounds would make them more monstrous, with a greater sense of "it"-ness.
Nachimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2003, 11:20 PM   #14
MacePulp

nah, i think you should make them talk backwards and stuff, i remember playing a map and i saw a dead corpse, and i thought it was creepy, then i turned around and there was a ghost in my face talking backwards, scared me shitless. And the laughing noise was pretty creepy, but also the backwards talking is damn scary too.
MacePulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2003, 03:16 AM   #15
Machine

and jingling chains! every undead skeleton must make gangly chain noises!
Old 14th May 2003, 03:30 AM   #16
KewlAzMe
Banned

Huh?
meh kain.. i know.. like i said Im working on COMBINING two mutators into one to make matrix effects and slow time for THIEVERY! Those are UT mutators. I need to COMBINE them to ONE and make them for THIEVERY. Because they dont currently work for THIEVERY.
Old 14th May 2003, 03:31 AM   #17
KewlAzMe
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMachine:
and jingling chains! every undead skeleton must make gangly chain noises!
And JOIN US JOIN US NOW!! Still scares me.. so maybe something like:

Come With Us Come with Us NOW!! to avoid copyright laws
Old 14th May 2003, 05:51 AM   #18
Omega

The Dan, don't be so closed source. Just share it and create it together.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2003, 08:33 AM   #19
The_Dan

I don't think my mutator alters the game significantly. What are your criteria for deciding whether to designate something as a gametype or just a mutator?
I was thinking a "Guards Vs Zombies" gametype, where guards would be holding the fort against an onslaught of AI zombies, instead of thieves.

Changing the normal guards into zombies could be done via a mutator, but water-based damage requires a modified ThieveryGameSettings actor and so if you overwrite that actor, you may delete some functions that are specific to each map.

Perhaps, you could also have a mutator that spawns a few random zombies, that are aggressive against both sides.
Old 14th May 2003, 08:39 AM   #20
The_Dan

Originally Posted by Ømega:
The Dan, don't be so closed source. Just share it and create it together.
If I encounter any problems or need feedback, then I'll ask for help.

However, most of the things I've done so far have been a case of solid scripting, saving the customisation till after the base programming is done. I've managed to solve a surprisingly large of my problems using UnrealWiki, or just viewing other people's code.

(I've just started getting the hang of Uwindows, so I can work on a fancy interface)

I'd like to do a collaration, but I've yet to see any ideas that:
A- Would be easy to co-work on
and
B - Require more than one person to complete
Old 14th May 2003, 10:33 AM   #21
MortalMonkey

Changing the normal guards into zombies could be done via a mutator, but water-based damage requires a modified ThieveryGameSettings actor and so if you overwrite that actor, you may delete some functions that are specific to each map.
Just like with the ThieveryShop (and any other actor in the map for that matter), ThieveryGameSettings can be easily AllActored and have it's variables read from or written to. If you want to replace one in a map, just make sure it copies all the variables to the new actor before you destroy it.

Oh and BTW Dan, I did not steal your idea on purpose (tho ny subconcience(sp?) might have), I do apologize.
But it only goes to show that you should have spent your time making your other scripts more flexible instead of making lots of something everyone else makes
Old 14th May 2003, 11:49 AM   #22
KewlAzMe
Banned

we just need a edge hang mutator! Or how about a sticky wall mutator that allows thieves to climb up walls like spiderman and hug the wall.
Old 14th May 2003, 12:00 PM   #23
PhaeThorn

Location: This pwnage was given to you by 1 of 3 mutated thievery players.
how the hell do you guys make these things ??
PhaeThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2003, 01:28 PM   #24
MortalMonkey

We open UnrealEd and start typing in random stuff, and once in a while we get something that works :wink:

Seriously tho, it's a tedious prcess involving sifting thru a lot of code to see how it is all connected and solving compile errors and bugs, but the results are usually (IMHO) well worth it.
Old 14th May 2003, 02:01 PM   #25
hallowedwarrior

To kewlazme: someone already did that sticky wall thing. In soulsharbor theres that lattice fence thingy. Try using that. But personally I liked the implementation of the lattice better than a spider man mutator.
Old 14th May 2003, 02:22 PM   #26
assassin

would be cool to have a guard war 2 teams of guards one against eachother and maybe a couple thieves to join in on the fun

guards try and kill the oposing team or at least try and get past them (this would stress teamwork) and add the thieves maybe have them work as mercs and have the thieves hireable assassins or somthing and the mainobjective for the thieves would be to steal / gather a certin amount of loot and the guard objectives would be to assult somthing or to defend.
this would require more teamwork and allow for more castle types of maps with some defence thought going into alot of these map not random camping but stratigized combat
Old 14th May 2003, 04:55 PM   #27
The_Dan

Originally Posted by MortalMonkey:
Just like with the ThieveryShop (and any other actor in the map for that matter), ThieveryGameSettings can be easily AllActored and have it's variables read from or written to. If you want to replace one in a map, just make sure it copies all the variables to the new actor before you destroy it.
ThieveryGameSettings consists of two rather important functions though (DefaultInventory or whatever its called, & PawnSplashed), and so you will struggle to modify these two functions without replacing the GameSettings with another. This will indefinately screw with maps that rely upon custom variations of these functions, eg. Souls-Harbour
But you'll just blame me anyway, if your mute renders Souls harbour unplayable because I didn't do things your way

Originally Posted by MortalMonkey:
But it only goes to show that you should have spent your time making your other scripts more flexible instead of making lots of something everyone else makes
You still haven't provided me with any kind of justification for making the Sunburst Device more flexible, see-ing as no-one else has asked to put it in their map, and it works perfectly for Souls Harbour.

Note: I may be planning on altering it soon anyway, as part of a much larger plan, but don't expect to get any credit for annoying me about it.
Old 14th May 2003, 05:41 PM   #28
Garlisk

Originally Posted by assassin:
would be cool to have a guard war 2 teams of guards one against eachother and maybe a couple thieves to join in on the fun

guards try and kill the oposing team or at least try and get past them (this would stress teamwork) and add the thieves maybe have them work as mercs and have the thieves hireable assassins or somthing and the mainobjective for the thieves would be to steal / gather a certin amount of loot and the guard objectives would be to assult somthing or to defend.
this would require more teamwork and allow for more castle types of maps with some defence thought going into alot of these map not random camping but stratigized combat

I think I can simplify what he is saying here.

TUT assault maps!! w00!!!

Guard vs Guard timed assaults! I could get into something like that.
Garlisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2003, 06:14 PM   #29
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Garlisk:

And where, exactly, would the THIEVERY be?
Old 14th May 2003, 06:19 PM   #30
The_Dan

Originally Posted by Garlisk:

And where, exactly, would the THIEVERY be?
While the guard teams are battling it out, someone could taff off with all the loot