Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 28th Jan 2003, 08:28 PM   #1
Chainsaws

Well, after using the Virus method on Bourgeois (or possibly it was blatant DM'ing) Omega thought that he could do better ghosting, I didn't believe it was possible....

Unfortunately, my Advanced Thief Techniques TM had scared most of the less-skilled players away (I only DM's the one match! It's not like I'm addicted...not like it's crack! :twisted: ) and it ended up with Daniel and Omega vs. me. I tried my best but, inevitably, I lost since reinforcements came too late.

When I mentioned this, Omega offered me a rematch and I duly accepted. So, after a quick, and rather violent, game on <insert that bloody prison level's name here> we returned to the home of Paz and Iggles.

Omega was joined by Ninja and I had Stakhanov and another guard, I forget who now. I waited in my favourite spot, sword drawn, and sure enough a hapless thief strolled into my trap. What luck! It's Omega! I let him sneak past me, counted to 3 and CHARGE! Wait, where's he gone? He's got to be close damnit! BUMP! I ran into him just where I didn't expect him to hide. I took me a second to swing round but I landed a fully charged blow on him, he didn't get two steps before I felled him. He was so surprised he didn't even flash me
There was some argument over the darkness of lightgems and such but I informed Omega that I had been lying in wait and all was well. Suddenly, Stakhanov shouts for assistance and I hear the sounds of battle. Damn this small map! are thouse sounds inside or out? After running through the entire house I come to the back door, too late for poor Stak, and dash outside. That damn taffer's got away, I scout around the balcony and decide to check the street. Lo! On my way down the stairs I stumble over the taffer! Hack! slash! Stumble! Gah! He got away, where is he? Ahah! I chase him around the corner but I stumble again and I lose him. Is he hiding here or did he run for the bars? I turn the corner and he's obviously used a speed potion but as he turns back as he enters the shadow he knows he's been seen. I move forward, sword drawn, but as he gets closer, I see a blackjack in his hands. Not likely! Out with the parabolt and Cthunk! Excelent shot, right in the kneecap as his circle-strafe arc falls short of me. Out with the blade and Ninja is quickly dispatched.

Just one more thief left now and it's Omega. Can't let him win this, my dignity is on the line! I think hmm..now where would he go? I know, the place I'd last expect him. The kitchen where I spread his guts across the wall earlier, he'll be thinking I won't expect him there. The first couple of sweeps show nothing but then I get out the flares and find the cheeky taffer in my kitchen again! The chase ensues and he evades me well. A battle in the larder ensues (I can't let him get away now!) and he flashbombs me and runs off. Instinctively I let loose a firebolt (about the only reason I carry them is to scare thieves off when I'm blind) and I hear a scream but by the time I can see he's got away! I chase around and catch him in a most unexpected hiding place after I thought he's escaped. The chase is on again and he's up the dumb waiter! By the time I reach the top he's on the table with his bow and he's put the lights out. I leap after him but he's back down into the kitchen and the chase is on again. I finally catch him and he flashes me again! One last desperate chase and I catch him at the front door, trying to get it open. I strike him down, realising only too late that he was stuck.

After thie epic battle, we both congratualted each other on a good game well played (despite the fact that I said "pwned" the first time I killed him ).

This is the sort of attitude I play this game for. People like Omega, although he is the official TUT forum troll j/k, show that being a good sport is more important that winning at any cost.

I'm impressed at how long Omega lasted considering he was totally ghosting, especially on that level. It just goes to show that while cheap DM tactics get you potions ops: that it's not always the most rewarding way to play.

Thanks again to all those guys who played for a really enjoyable game tonight!
Chainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2003, 09:43 PM   #2
Omega

Thanks!
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2003, 10:12 PM   #3
Yenzarill

&lt;praise&gt;

I played Omega on Bourgeois also.

First I thieved, and just for kicks I thought i'd try ghost (just so everyone knows I never ghost and I pride myself on my KOs). Failed horribly. Omega and another guard (sorry can't remember) slaughtered me constantly.

Then Omega tried ghosting. I chased him all over the map, and he eluded me and... the other... guard... in some situations that made me .

Oh, eventually we won.

I really should try to ghost properly one day. But well done, again, Omega.

&lt;/praise&gt;

Then we played flats, me thief, Omega guard. I won with 10 KOs and 1500+ loot. Last KO was a perfect circle strafe on Omega in the last 10 seconds of the game. Now THAT is style. :grin:
Yenzarill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2003, 10:31 PM   #4
Omega

Yenz, don't forget to include that we were playing on a server were you had a great ping and I lagged somewhat. That doesn't matter though, I sometimes play shitty. Mostly because of my hands being cold.
Old 28th Jan 2003, 10:38 PM   #5
Yenzarill

lol, I had about 300.

But I didn't have the lag spikes or bad patches.
Yenzarill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2003, 10:41 PM   #6
Omega

Originally Posted by Chainsaws:
Well, after using the Virus method on Bourgeois (or possibly it was blatant DM'ing) Omega thought that he could do better ghosting, I didn't believe it was possible....
That's an odd sentence, are you claiming I was playing "The Virus method"? Or were you talking about yourself?
Old 29th Jan 2003, 09:24 AM   #7
koraX

Quote:
Yenzarill wrote :

Omega and another guard (sorry can't remember) slaughtered me constantly.
that was me

and yes, Omega Lagged sometimes
koraX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 10:06 AM   #8
BiG_D
Super Moderator

I was spectating this match. It was qute possibly the best match I've ever seen. Until I pinged out...
BiG_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 12:43 PM   #9
Chainsaws

Originally Posted by Ømega:
 Originally Posted by Chainsaws:
That's an odd sentence, are you claiming I was playing "The Virus method"? Or were you talking about yourself?
Yeah, it is vague...I was very sleepy when I wrote that :p

I meant I'd been DMing. ops: Honestly, who'd think it was Omega?
Chainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 02:11 PM   #10
Omega

Lurox.... :twisted:
Old 29th Jan 2003, 05:16 PM   #11
Lurox

Lurox.... :twisted:
Omega is just bitter that I keep winning against him, and there also is the fact that I'M A TESTER AND HE ISN'T.
Old 29th Jan 2003, 05:32 PM   #12
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Lurox:
Omega is just bitter that I keep winning against him, and there also is the fact that I'M A TESTER AND HE ISN'T.
Rub it in, fanboy. GREAT way to make friends and influence people!

LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 05:36 PM   #13
modetwo
Webmaster

Originally Posted by Lurox:
Line of the day, I'd say! Keep it up.
modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 06:17 PM   #14
Lurox

Thanks everyone, I always had talent in creating such lines.
Old 30th Jan 2003, 07:36 AM   #15
The_Judge

Omega is a great player. I always enjoy playing with him. I enjoy more though when he manages to escape my traps/sword and starts teasing me for it :grin: :wink:
Old 30th Jan 2003, 09:32 AM   #16
modetwo
Webmaster

Originally Posted by The_Judge:
Omega is a great player. I always enjoy playing with him.
Word.
modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2003, 10:03 AM   #17
-=V12US=-

I tend to only remember the bad things about people, and regarding thievery, I have little things I remembered. Generally I like playing with everyone.
-=V12US=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th Jan 2003, 12:22 PM   #18
Omega

Originally Posted by The_Judge:
I always enjoy playing with him. I enjoy more though when he manages to escape my traps/sword and starts teasing me for it.
You mean when we played on residency? That I used speech when I stood behind you? "You won't catch me" :twisted:
Old 30th Jan 2003, 01:16 PM   #19
BiG_D
Super Moderator

...I used speech when I stood behind you? "You won't catch me" :twisted:
Like when I was on top of the hedge maze in gerome, I said "To the rooftops", and all the guards freaked out and jumped onto the roof. Fools.
Old 31st Jan 2003, 07:07 AM   #20
The_Judge

Originally Posted by BiG_D:
Like when I was on top of the hedge maze in gerome, I said "To the rooftops", and all the guards freaked out and jumped onto the roof. Fools.
Omega: STFU :lol:

Big_D, they actually did that?
Old 31st Jan 2003, 09:42 AM   #21
BiG_D
Super Moderator

Yeah, two of them. I was laughing too much to take advantage of it tho...
I think they thought I was already on the roof, it looks really funny to see guards running around on a roof holding a flare.