X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnnyTheWolf
    • Jul 2006

Runtime Error with Telic

For some reason, I keep getting Runtime Error everytime I try to run ASw with Telic installed. ASw original works fine however.

Here's my log :

Log: Log file open, 10/20/09 20:15:54
    Init: Name subsystem initialized
    Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows XP 5.1 (Build: 2600)
    Init: Version: 3369 (128.29)
    Init: Compiled: Nov 23 2005 16:23:34
    Init: Command line: -mod=AlienSwarm LOG=AlienSwarm.log
    Init: Character set: Unicode
    Init: Base directory: C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 2004\System\
    Init: Ini:..\AlienSwarm\System\AlienSwarm.ini UserIni:..\AlienSwarm\System\AlienSwarmUser.ini
    Init: Build label: UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]
    Init: Object subsystem initialized
    Log: Splash screen filename is '..\AlienSwarm\Help\AlienSwarmLogo.bmp'
    Log: nv4_disp.dll/NVIDIA GeForce 6200 TurboCache(TM)
    Log: Game class is 'GameInfo'
    Log: Bringing Level Entry.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 1.655000...
    ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
    Log: Browse: AlienSwarmStartup.ut2?Name=Grunt?Class=Engine.Pawn ?Character=Jakob?team=255
    Log: Collecting garbage
    Log: Purging garbage
    Log: Garbage: objects: 39678->39674; refs: 451023
    Log: Game class is 'AoCinematicGame'
    Log: Bringing Level AlienSwarmStartup.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 4.534000...
    Log: (Karma): Autodetecting CPU for SSE
    Log: (Karma): Using SSE Optimizations
    ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
    Warning: AoMarine AlienSwarmStartup.AoMarine1 (Function Engine.Pawn.PostBeginPlay:010C) Accessed None 'Controller'
    Progress: Exporting AOL-TelicCampaignLobby...
    Log: Exporting AOL-TelicCampaignLobby.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-TE-Underneath...
    Warning: Missing Cubemap Cubemap AW-Cubes.Cubes.MesaEnv2
    Warning: Missing Cubemap Cubemap AW-Cubes.Cubes.MesaEnv1
    Warning: Missing Cubemap Cubemap AW-Cubes.Cubes.PS_Cube
    Warning: Missing TexEnvMap TexEnvMap AW-Cubes.Cubes.SunC
    Log: Exporting AO-TE-Underneath.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-TE-Tunnel...
    Log: Exporting AO-TE-Tunnel.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-TE-Saviour...
    Log: Exporting AO-TE-Saviour.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-TE-Sabotage...
    Log: Exporting AO-TE-Sabotage.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-TE-Mercury...
    Log: Exporting AO-TE-Mercury.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-TE-Fetch...
    Log: Exporting AO-TE-Fetch.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-TE-Daylight...
    Log: The file '../StaticMeshes/Primeval_SM.usx' contains unrecognizable data
    Critical: CheckTag
    Critical: LoadSummary
    Critical: ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad
    Warning: Failed to load 'Primeval_SM': Aborted
    Warning: Failed to load 'AO-TE-Daylight': Aborted
    Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary AO-TE-Daylight.LevelSummary': Aborted
    Warning: Error loading AO-TE-Daylight !
    Progress: Exporting AO-TE-Aqueduct...
    Log: Exporting AO-TE-Aqueduct.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-EFRX-Nightmare...
    Log: Exporting AO-EFRX-Nightmare.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-EFR5-BeggarsPoint...
    Log: The file '../StaticMeshes/Primeval_SM.usx' contains unrecognizable data
    Critical: CheckTag
    Critical: LoadSummary
    Critical: ULinkerLoad::ULinkerLoad
    Warning: Failed to load 'Primeval_SM': Aborted
    Warning: Failed to load 'AO-EFR5-BeggarsPoint': Aborted
    Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary AO-EFR5-BeggarsPoint.LevelSummary': Aborted
    Warning: Error loading AO-EFR5-BeggarsPoint !
    Progress: Exporting AO-EFR4-Specimen...
    Log: Exporting AO-EFR4-Specimen.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-EFR3-Bunker...
    Log: Exporting AO-EFR3-Bunker.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-EFR2-Trenchwar...
    Log: Exporting AO-EFR2-Trenchwar.....Successful!
    Progress: Exporting AO-EFR1-Phoenix...
    Log: Exporting AO-EFR1-Phoenix.....Successful!
    Progress: Loading AoEFRCode...
    Critical: UExporter::FindExporter
    Critical: UExporter::ExportToOutputDevice
    Critical: UObject::ExportProperties
    Critical: (Emitters)
    Critical: UClass::Serialize
    Critical: (Class AoEFRCode.AoEFRShieldSuperchargedEffect)
    Critical: LoadObject
    Critical: (Class AoEFRCode.AoEFRShieldSuperchargedEffect 21842==21842/530435 21707 135)
    Critical: ULinkerLoad:reload
    Critical: PreLoadObjects
    Critical: UObject::EndLoad
    Critical

I tried installing ASw CE as an alternative, but my UT2004 doesn't seem to recognize .UT4MOD and I can't get it to do so.

I'm using a new digital copy of UT2004 from GamersGate. I don't know if it has anything to do with my problem, but anyway...
  • Ki!ler-Mk1
    • Apr 2005

Its not a solution, but have you tried makinga fresh ASw 3.2 install and then litting it dl telic from a server, takes time, but you'll be able to see if telic is even able to work, and then you'll have gained nothing.
    Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
      • Jul 2006

Well, I'm not exactly sure how to do this. I remember trying to attempt a connection with an empty server and it started downloading Telic stuff. However, once it's done, the map loads and it doesn't seem like I have access to any of the expansion features.

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
        • Jul 2006

Okay, I tried downloading the EFR-less Telic package from ModDB. To my surprise, the game actually loads only to crash a few seconds later. It's only when I install EFR that I get Runtime Error.

Comment

• Fuzzy Bunny
          • Sep 2004

Make sure your Swarm install is patched up to the most recent version.
          Based on a true story.
          The prequel.

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
            • Jul 2006

It is. Alien Swarm runs flawlessly with patch 1.32. But it won't load Telic stuff. It just won't.

I'm starting to suspect that the packages are corrupted or something, because I can't see what else could cause the problem.

Comment

• Ki!ler-Mk1
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JohnnyTheWolf View Post
              Well, I'm not exactly sure how to do this. I remember trying to attempt a connection with an empty server and it started downloading Telic stuff. However, once it's done, the map loads and it doesn't seem like I have access to any of the expansion features.

Moduvamod!
              Are you refering to offline play or play, in the server, if the server is on a non telic camp this could be the case.
              Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
                • Jul 2006

No, no. As soon as I install anything from Telic, Alien Swarm starts crashing as soon as I start the game. This is how it works:

- I extract Telic+EFR 1.1 in my UT2004 directory.
                - I double-click on AS.exe
                - Runtime Error message

By installing only Telic 1.0 (sans EFR features), it goes like this:

- I double-click on AS.exe
                - The main menu loads up
                - Crash to desktop

Or alternatively :

- I double-click on Telic .bat file
                - Telic lobby loads up
                - Crash to desktop

See what I mean?

Comment

• lightfoot
                  • Oct 2005

I only ever got runtime error crashes when a recource was missing. Same of course when a recource is not in the place it is expected to be.

Check that you have a folder structure like this after installing/extracting: in the UT2004 folder, there are the "UT recource folders", like Animations or Music or Sounds or System, and besides those, the AlienSwarm folder, which AGAIN has very similar recource subfolders. These AS subfolders are the place where the Telic stuff would normally go, and directly, I mean, no more subfolders inside those.

Not so sure about that, but Swarm should find a recource in both places, means it shouldn't matter if say a texture file is in UT2004/Textures or in UT2004/AlienSwarm/Textures.

But it sure won't find it for example in UT2004/AlienSwarm/AlienSwarm/Textures/ or other imaginable places like Textures/Telic/... or whatever. (No I am not thinking you are stupid, such "wrong extraction" things have happened to me several times.)

You seem to have put the recources into the direct UT2004 subs. It should work too, when done right, means with pure recources (=not with the System stuff), and maybe with the exception of music, but in general, that's not how things normally are, see above.

This is, btw, like most UT mods are organised, so sorry if I am telling you nothing new.

I didn't make things much clearer, did I? Could have posted a screenshot of the folder structure instead, but my UT is just not representative, with a quazillion of mods and stuff installed. Maybe someone else can show you a 'clean' picture.

-

Of course it could be, and prolly is, something completely different.

The other thing that comes to my mind is, UT doesn't like spaces in path names, so a ".../Games/UT2004/..." folder is good, but a ".../My Games/UT2004/..." folder is not.
                  But maybe this one only applies to when you use the editor.

EDIT:

while what I said before isn't wrong, I now did what I should have done in the 1st place, took a closer look at that log you posted:

those 4 first warnings "Missing Cubemaps" etc. look familiar, that's probably not the problem, I recall it came with Telic and ain't critical.

Things start seriously going wrong with "The file '../StaticMeshes/Primeval_SM.usx' contains unrecognizable data"

So it appears like that package IS found, but is corrupted somehow. So the solution could be to just download the Telic zip again. And, of course, extract to the right place afterwards.

Let's hope that does it, but if not, keep trying, and call back here. I don't remember a single case where the game was REALLY uninstallable.
                  Last edited by lightfoot; 22 Oct 2009, 07:26 PM.

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
                    • Jul 2006

Yes well, if the package is corrupted, I think I'm running out of option. I tried downloading Telic 1.0 and Telic/EFR 1.1 from ModDB and Alienswarm.de, but both must be corrupted somehow. I'm also sure I extracted them correctly.

As for the Community edition executable, well... UT2004 won't recognize .UT4MOD and every attempt to make it doing so failed. When I tried opening the .ut4mod with UT2004.exe, it gave me another Running Error message.

I really don't get it. I'm still using the same computer than before and my digital copy is 100% legit.

Comment

• Fuzzy Bunny
                      • Sep 2004

I think you open .ut4mod files with Setup.exe in the UT2004/System directory.
                      Based on a true story.
                      The prequel.

Comment

• Ki!ler-Mk1
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JohnnyTheWolf View Post
                        I really don't get it. I'm still using the same computer than before and my digital copy is 100% legit.
                        Well, you could find someone here who has decent upload(not me ive only got 20kb/s) who can send you "an" not "their" install of ASw 3.2 + telic/efr, in a single folder which iirc would contain 2 folders, "alienswarm" and "music" and you could place them in ur ut2004 folder. im not sure if it would need to be an install that has never been ran or not. Who knows maybe you need a new pc.
                        Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

• lightfoot
                          • Oct 2005

Let's try something.

The best serving of video game culture, since 1998. Whether you're looking for the biggest collection of PC gaming files on the planet, tools, tips or advice, GameFront has you covered. Browse through over 150,000 mods, maps, tools and, more. Game on!

Get it and put it into UT2004/StaticMeshes. Just to see what happens then.

Comment

• JohnnyTheWolf
                            • Jul 2006

Okay, I'm back home. Sorry for the slow response.

So, I tried again with your file this time and, what do you know, it is finally working, at least so far.Did you change something to Primeval_SM.usx?

In any case, problem solved. Thanks a thousand.

Comment

• lightfoot
                              • Oct 2005

No change. So it wasn't AS, but that file, from vanilla Unreal, that was corrupted.

You are welcome. So we may see you in the game these days?

Note that multiplayer swarming is a very different experience. But there aren't so many active swarmers in the western hemisphere, so it will help to announce the time you want to play online, here at the forums.
                              Another good thing is joining the steam BCG group, so you can see who is in the game, if any.

Comment

Working...
                              X