Deus Ex 3 first concept art AND Thief 4 confirmed

Told ya so x 1 million. Thief 4 info here:
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=76374

Concept art for Deus Ex 3 here:

concept
MageofFolenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Appollonius

Great news. Be a while before we see either game though.
Appollonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2008, 10:29 AM   #3
BiG_D
Super Moderator

They said they're working on a game that starts with the letter T. Hardly a confirmation of anything...
Old 5th Apr 2008, 12:48 PM   #4
-KewlAzMe-

To quote Chief from an IM:
 Quote:
Thief, Timesplitters, Tomb Raider, Touch the Dead, Trade Empires and The Unholy War in its 'T' franchise list
Could be any of those... prolly just another Tomb Raider
Old 5th Apr 2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Illuminus

Yea, i wont accept it is Thief until its OFFICIALLY announced. I know this is a new studio (in a good location as well)... but its still Eidos, so they will have a hard time proving that they wont mess up the games again.
Illuminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Apr 2008, 04:42 PM   #6
Firetiger

Didn't they say that if they were to make another Thief, it wouldn't be in a medival setting? I remember reading that somewhere. Something about the "medival thing has run it's course".
Old 5th Apr 2008, 04:51 PM   #7
Hybrid

Since modern/near-future has been done as well, they should make a Thief game that's in a total over-the-top sci-fi setting and humongous mecha and cyborgs and it lets you carry around 8 miniguns (as long as you have the Arm v3 upgrade) because in the future you have to send your weapons back to the manufacturer to reload them.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Apr 2008, 12:00 PM   #8
-KewlAzMe-

Originally Posted by Firetiger: ( link to post ) 
Didn't they say that if they were to make another Thief, it wouldn't be in a medival setting? I remember reading that somewhere. Something about the "medival thing has run it's course".
Well I think Warren Spector said that... but he ain't in charge no more

I'm thinking Feudal Japan thief/ninja/assassin Like Assassin's Creed meets Thief meets Tenchu... They can call it "Thie-Assa-Chu" (name patent pending)
Old 6th Apr 2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Illuminus

It sounds more like a pokemon KAM...
Old 6th Apr 2008, 01:06 PM   #10
-KewlAzMe-

Originally Posted by Illuminus: ( link to post ) 
It sounds more like a pokemon KAM...
Thats it! A pokemon thief game! Genius!
Old 6th Apr 2008, 04:10 PM   #11
DiP

Steal
Flashbomb
Run
Kill

Pokémon is to restrictive.
Old 6th Apr 2008, 04:10 PM   #12
Baz

Cleptomon! I choose you!
Taffer taffer, taffer!
That's right Cleptomon!
Old 6th Apr 2008, 07:37 PM   #13
Schleicher

So whens both being so paperthin stretched they'll snap in a rain of "We gutted that ol carcass so much there isnt anything left but the name"?

Around Thief : Angel of Darkness?
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2008, 02:00 AM   #14
MageofFolenn

Smile

Must I explain everything? I have done much research to draw my conclusions. This isn't just jumping the gun.

The whole point of Eidos Montreal is to create AAA games. They have clearly stated that their goals include reviving of old franchises.

It is not Tomb Raider because that is Crystal Dynamics deal. However Crystal Dynamics devs are working with Montreal since they are using the Tomb Raider engine for Deus Ex 3.

By the way the next Tomb Raider is already under development and there are a few screen shots out there.

It is Thief 4. Do not believe me if you so wish but you will see I was correct. Whether or not is in the future is yet to be determined.

My prediction is that it's a 50/50 deal. The future might get the game to sell more but the past will keep the hardcore fans in check.

Just to conclude I firmly believe it is Thief. All signs point to it. It is a question of why not rather than why.

Cheers.
Old 7th Apr 2008, 06:08 AM   #15
-KewlAzMe-

^^
Well I'm sold
Old 7th Apr 2008, 08:26 AM   #16
DiP

You do know if you get this wrong, your reputation could be at stake.
Old 7th Apr 2008, 09:27 AM   #17
necros

Even if "T" turns out to be Thief 4, wiping the generic console dross out of the theme that eidos brought in at thief 3 leaves me slightly less than extatic to hear that thief 4 is being developed.
Old 7th Apr 2008, 10:26 AM   #18
MageofFolenn

Smile

Originally Posted by necros: ( link to post ) 
Even if "T" turns out to be Thief 4, wiping the generic console dross out of the theme that eidos brought in at thief 3 leaves me slightly less than extatic to hear that thief 4 is being developed.
That was not Eidos though that was Ionstorm Austin. Eidos being the publisher simply supplied the cash.

The reason why Deus Ex: Invisible War and Thief 3 were gimped was because the engine they chose. (Ionstorm Austin)

The man in charge of Invisible War was Harvey Smith. He hired a programmer to write a lightning renderer. Instead the fool wrote a complete engine.

Harvey Smith being inexperienced in leading picked the engine without knowing it's limitations. Halfway through Invisible War they realized how limiting the engine truly was.

Being too late to back down they did what they could. Having more experience with the engine yielded a better game with Thief 3.

However upon further research the consoles did have significant impact on the game.

Regardless Harvey Smith is not involved with any of these projects. The good news is that since it's Thief 4 they might bring back the talent pool from Looking Glass Studios.

Just to conclude the engine they haven't talked about it. However it might be the Tomb Raider Engine. The good thing about this is that they have tons of experience with it and are tailoring the engine for Invisible War.

Here in some info on the latest build for the Tomb Raider engine.
http://forums.eidosgames.com/showthread.php?t=74916

You can see very detailed weather effects which no doubt can be used for Invisible War and Thief 4.

I know many people were disappointed with Invisible War and Thief 3. However knowing what I now know I am putting my faith in Eidos Montreal. They will not fail.

Come early-mid 2009 be prepared for a hell of a game in Deus Ex 3.

Further rumor on Thief 4:
http://clanbase.ggl.com/news.php?nid=284137
Old 7th Apr 2008, 11:21 AM   #19
Illuminus

Well, apparently Stephane D'Astous (General Manager) used the Thief "T" in his Facebook account... so the possibility is quite certain.

My guess is the game will focus on Garrett's new apprentice (the girl that tried to snatch from him at the end of Thief 3). Guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 7th Apr 2008, 11:29 AM   #20
-KewlAzMe-

And her name will be "Zaya" !

I really hope tho if they do use the TR engine, that they leave thief 4 as First person... I've stopped playing the TR games because of their poor delayed behind-the-head 3rd person camera that didnt follow where your face was looking... I get annoyed by the 2nd level and quit.

I'm sure it was done so you can get a full view of lara.. but still I have no need to get a full frontal of Garrett or Deus

Last edited by -KewlAzMe-; 7th Apr 2008 at 11:56 AM.
-KewlAzMe- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Apr 2008, 11:37 AM   #21
Firetiger

A publisher never simply supplies cash. They'll only back your game if they think it'll be a financial success. Thus, they have a decent amount of say as to what goes into a game. That's why we see a lot of "me too" games surrounding every Halo release, because the publishers know what sells. In this case the publisher owns the studio, so it's more than likely the game will play to a wide audience.

As far as I know, DX:IW and T3 used the Unreal engine with "heavy modifications". I would hardly call that limiting. DX:IW stunk because it was stripped of everything that resembled the original, it desecrated the ideas that made the original great, and the PC version was a sloppy port of a game clearly made for consoles. Whereas in Deus Ex you assumed the role of agent JC Denton in a near-future dystopian setting, DX:IW had you playing some spikey-haired punk kid from an academy in an uber-futuristic seattle. Epic fail.

I personally thought Thief 3 was excellent. Yeah, I could nit-pick it to death, but it had a few of the best missions in the series IMO (the Cradle being one). I'm not sure why weather effects would matter in the unconfirmed sequel in question. Thief is kinda an indoor sort of game, isn't it?

Frankly, even if they are doing another Thief, I expect both games to tank hard. The series were made great in no small part because of their level of sophistication, and I doubt anything coming from Eidos will match at this point.
Old 7th Apr 2008, 12:57 PM   #22
MageofFolenn

Here is more rumor mongering.

http://kotaku.com/376780/eidos-montr...ing-on-thief-4

As for the games tanking hard. We'll just see about that.

As for the engine I was speculating as to whether not it will use the Tomb Raider engine based on research.(Thief 4 only Deus Ex 3 already confirmed) There is no official announcement and I don't expect one till 2009 or late 08.
Old 7th Apr 2008, 01:41 PM   #23
-KewlAzMe-

I love when people who haven't played the game decide to write about such oft-abused features as if they were the main object of the game:
 Originally Posted by http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=130788:
Thief is a stealth-action title set in a gritty world that's a cross between the late middle ages and Victorian eras. It sees players creeping around and killing people by using their environment to cloak their approach and dump bodies down sewer hatches.
Idiots. Sounds more like they are talking about the DMers of Thievery
Old 7th Apr 2008, 06:03 PM   #24
Thebos

Saw that too- sounds like someone who did play it that much.

And it sounds nothing at all like your typical DM'er. I mean, how many pure DM'ers do you know who bother to hide the dead bodies, or even use the shadows to mask there approach?
Old 7th Apr 2008, 06:39 PM   #25
Schleicher

Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe-: ( link to post ) 
"Zaya"
Mood : Sneaky and Sexy

Currently listening to : Benny and the frolicking guards

Today i stoled a candlestick lol. Sold it and went to Hot Thiefic to get some new leather stuff *rawr*. Garrett frowned at me and said something about "practical clothing" and "buying water arrows instead" but im sure he secretly likes it, that old perv lol. K bye ppl theres stealing to do *kisses* =^.^=

Eh, Thief 3 and DX:IW werent massively bad, but neither massively anything else either. I got more nerdy excitement out of this than reading announcements about the next Thief/DX game. :/
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2008, 08:45 AM   #26
Gullonefox

Thief 4

Not sure of this has been posted - could not find it, but anyhow - Thief 4.

http://kotaku.com/376780/eidos-montr...ing-on-thief-4

Not thats its set in stone, seeing as the name starts with a 'T'. Maybe its another game, like 'Tity Twister 2', or 'Timmy Talks Teddy Destruction', or even Time Crisis the Thief edition.

Anyway - its next gen, will take ages to make and have no gameplay, and its not made by looking Glass, so the passion wont be present. Just another - lets make money from the licence title, well maybe not that much.

The Development Core:
It didnt sell too well, so lets not bother making it that good - the Fans will buy it anyway! However - saying that, we could make it in a contemporary setting, using morden day lifestyles and branding, oh think of the narative possibilities!

Plot:
Guy meets girl, guy steels (Thief Ref) girl, busts a cap in someone, and starts a street gang, changes name to 40p or one pound or dolla holla, or Gat-master Garret.

Anyway, rant over - Bring it on! *Does fanboy dance of joy*

Game Designer
Gullonefox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Apr 2008, 09:11 AM   #27
-KewlAzMe-

Originally Posted by Gullonefox: ( link to post ) 
lol only 4 posts up
Old 8th Apr 2008, 10:51 AM   #28
MageofFolenn

Mock all you will but Eidos Montreal will serve you with some kick your ass pie when it is released in 2010 or 2011 .
Old 11th Apr 2008, 09:40 AM   #29
-KewlAzMe-

Interesting little Thief 4 story:

http://www.gameshadow.com/gamepedia/...&newsletter=44
Old 12th May 2008, 03:16 PM   #30
Moses2k

Open for me. Open to me. Open my way. Open the path. Open for me. Open...

Open up a beta.
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote