Machine

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

Old 16th May 2009, 12:05 PM   #62
Chainsaws

FIGHT! After skoo on the field!
Chainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 12:18 AM   #63
Fuzzy Bunny

Originally Posted by BiG_D: ( link to post ) 
You know what pataran? Why don't you put your money where your mouth is.

Gift me a copy of KF. I've got a grudge against Killing Floor THE MOD, but if the retail version is actually worth playing I'll happily rescind that. In fact, if the game grabs my interest, I'll even buy you and five of your closest friends a copy of Alien Swarm: Infested.

Deal?
I might take you up on this after the price drops. At most, I lose what, five dollars?
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 03:00 AM   #64
Aggamemnon

And your dignity!
Aggamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2009, 10:49 AM   #65
Baz

Assuming it's dreadful. Think of what he (and being one of Fuzzys closest friends I) have to gain from this crazy venture (knowing full well how awesome Killing Floor: Infected probably is).
Old 17th May 2009, 11:31 AM   #66
BiG_D
Super Moderator

The offer wasn't exactly open to everyone! Besides, I don't need (or especially want) more than one copy of KF...
Old 17th May 2009, 02:46 PM   #67
DarkLord75

There seems to be a strange lack of Pataran on this thread.

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering
DarkLord75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 12:53 AM   #68
Fuzzy Bunny

The closest, Baz
Old 18th May 2009, 09:51 AM   #69
BrokenArts
Administrator

Originally Posted by DarkLord75: ( link to post ) 
There seems to be a strange lack of Pataran on this thread.
He's probably dealing with zombies.
BrokenArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2009, 12:31 PM   #70
Baz

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bunny: ( link to post ) 
The closest, Baz
Aw Shucks dude. For that I'm gonna gift you a copy of Killing Floor
Old 18th May 2009, 11:15 PM   #71
Fuzzy Bunny

Can I re-gift it to BiG_D?
Old 19th May 2009, 09:26 AM   #72
Hybrid

Friends don't let friends drive drunk play Killing Floor.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:21 AM   #73
pataran

I was slayin teh zombies guys. With L4d and Killing Floor much carnage has ensued.

It seems I struck some chord with you D. Have you realized that Killing Floor is now a MAJOR success, topping the steam sales for days now?

And to make things better, Tripwire says it will give it the same treatment it gave RO, which means whole new updates, models, maps etc.

I say I take your deal, I have nothing to lose and neither will you. Add pataran on steam and end your silly grudge against KF. Plus if you get some enjoyment out of it then you owe me an Alien Swarm:Infested.
pataran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 04:34 AM   #74
pataran

Originally Posted by Hybrid: ( link to post ) 
Friends don't let friends drive drunk play Killing Floor.
Sure they do...its on the news all the time...?!
Old 22nd May 2009, 05:30 AM   #75
Carth

Tbh I never expected it not to do well, I just expected it to not be very good. From what I've heard that's about right.

1. L4D is a big hit
2. Tripwire capitalises on this by selling an old, free zombie mod that nobody played. Plus it had an SDK, which L4D doesn't!
3. Everyone falls for it
5. Profit
Old 22nd May 2009, 05:46 AM   #76
DarkLord75

Spore sold very well, ergo, it must be an excellent game. Don't even try to argue with me, it's obvious that last sentence was perfectly accurate.

Quote:
I say I take your deal, I have nothing to lose and neither will you. Add pataran on steam and end your silly grudge against KF. Plus if you get some enjoyment out of it then you owe me an Alien Swarm:Infested.
You heard it here folks. ITS ON!

Old 22nd May 2009, 08:03 AM   #77
Carth

Originally Posted by DarkLord75: ( link to post ) 
Spore sold very well, ergo, it must be an excellent game. Don't even try to argue with me, it's obvious that last sentence was perfectly accurate.
The Sims anyone?
Old 22nd May 2009, 08:19 AM   #78
Chainsaws

Originally Posted by Carth: ( link to post ) 
The Sims anyone?
Any game where you can trap a man in a room with no doors or windows and watch him go slowly crazy and starve to death is a winner in my book.

I'm hoping Sims 3 will be even more like Dwarf Fortress!
Chainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:36 AM   #79
Machine

The Sims was a good game.
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:09 PM   #80
DarkLord75

Chains, don't get your hopes up. The little man that lives inside my head says it's an upgrade from Sims 2, but it's still lacking. If you want a more detailed talk with my inner voice, PM me.

Old 22nd May 2009, 02:57 PM   #81
pataran

Tbh I never expected it not to do well, I just expected it to not be very good. From what I've heard that's about right.

1. L4D is a big hit
2. Tripwire capitalises on this by selling an old, free zombie mod that nobody played. Plus it had an SDK, which L4D doesn't!
3. Everyone falls for it
5. Profit
Your pretty harsh to Tripwire, considering they are a great upstart company loyal to their fans. I hope to dear Jesus that someone isn't nearly as harsh to Alien Swarm:Infested when it comes out by actually not playing it and just scanning all steam forums to cite lists of some people's complaints. Ad Nausuem. Now, I'm not saying the game is god or on par with l4d here folks, just that its a good zombie killing game that IS worth its 20 dollar price tag.

Btw, steam forums I check are actually quite positive, only one thread titled "sick of this game already, aren't you too"?, that is pretty much about the amount of content the game has. This is of course ensued by 30+ people who disagree with him. So I'm not entirely sure were your getting the picture that these huge masses hate their purchase of the game at all.

The SDK comment you made also makes no sense. Nearly every UT engine game is shipped with its easy to use editor. Just because valve decided to wait 4+ months to release theirs doesn't make it a capitalization on anything. Taking a mod like Killing Floor was definitely more risk than capitalization.

To sum things up though, I'm glad KF became a huge success because now Tripwire can make Red Orchestra 2 OMGWTFBBQ.

Good luck to Black Cat games as well. If they are lucky, they (taken from Carth's idea) can hopefully release the game and make a killing cashing in on L4d's coop success because surely that is the only reason someone would play Alien Swarm:Infested, AM I RIGHT GUYZ?
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:20 PM   #82
Cythe
Developer

I wanted to like this game. I really did. But I just couldn't. I managed about 20 minutes all up. Definitely not cup of tea. Surprisingly, even my kids only managed about an hour, total, of it, and they usually play a new game for days on end, especially if achievements are involved. They LOOOVE games with achievements. (My eldest has already got 3/4 of the new TF2 achievements that were released yesterday.)

To me, KF still feels like a mod, and an average one at that. The controls felt clunky, the maps looked boxy and unfinished, the dialogue made me cringe at times, unconvincing animations, and it was repetitious. (Kinda reminded me of Doom3 where you run into hoards of the EXACT same fat zombie guy). It also felt like it borrowed some ideas from L4F, but failed to implement them well. (The Bloat?!? Good grief.)

I'm REALLY surprised it is topping the steam sales chart. REALLY SURPRISED. There was very little advertising before its release, and to me, it seemed to be the sort of game only hardcore fans of the original mod would have been interested in.

But this is a good thing.

It can only mean good things for AS:I too.

I might give it a go again some time, but I honestly can't see it sitting on my HD for much longer. Like I mentioned before, it's just not my cup of tea.
Cythe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 02:50 AM   #83
pataran

No big, at least you tried the game. I think the bloat was in the mod before l4d was created. I agree 100% with you though about the voiceovers, they should do something to fix the trader's voice.
Old 23rd May 2009, 10:13 AM   #84
Carth

Originally Posted by Cythe: ( link to post ) 
I'm REALLY surprised it is topping the steam sales chart. REALLY SURPRISED. There was very little advertising before its release, and to me, it seemed to be the sort of game only hardcore fans of the original mod would have been interested in.
It had very good word of mouth advertising. Everyone on the Steam forum was talking about it, everyone in L4D IRC channels was talking about it, people playing L4D were talking about it over the text or voice chat, people who I met from L4D even sent me messages over Steam to ask if I was getting it. Many, many L4D players did then get it. There was no demo, they bought it before the special offer ran out on the promise of another L4D-like game with an SDK that wasn't too expensive.

I have to admit, if I hadn't known about UT2k4 mods and KF beforehand, I would very probably have bought it myself.

Some of my friends who bought it later said I was right to be sceptical about it, and they haven't played it since.

I haven't played it myself since the early mod versions, so I can't really comment on the quality of the released game, but I feel safe not shelling out 15 for it, and apart from you Pataran, I haven't had anyone tell me it's worth it after release. I'm too busy right now to play another game so it's a moot point, since I won't be buying any new games until my exams are over, and I'll be pretty busy after then too.
Old 23rd May 2009, 03:08 PM   #85
Schleicher

Hey if someone would gift it to me id play it XD

Yall getting way too excited about this stuff really.
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:34 PM   #86
pataran

It had very good word of mouth advertising. Everyone on the Steam forum was talking about it, everyone in L4D IRC channels was talking about it, people playing L4D were talking about it over the text or voice chat, people who I met from L4D even sent me messages over Steam to ask if I was getting it. Many, many L4D players did then get it. There was no demo, they bought it before the special offer ran out on the promise of another L4D-like game with an SDK that wasn't too expensive.

I have to admit, if I hadn't known about UT2k4 mods and KF beforehand, I would very probably have bought it myself.

Some of my friends who bought it later said I was right to be sceptical about it, and they haven't played it since.

I haven't played it myself since the early mod versions, so I can't really comment on the quality of the released game, but I feel safe not shelling out 15 for it, and apart from you Pataran, I haven't had anyone tell me it's worth it after release. I'm too busy right now to play another game so it's a moot point, since I won't be buying any new games until my exams are over, and I'll be pretty busy after then too.
Well hopefully Alien Swarm will get the same word of mouth that Killing Floor got. That would be really awesome.
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:59 PM   #87
Carth

Originally Posted by pataran: ( link to post ) 
Well hopefully Alien Swarm will get the same word of mouth that Killing Floor got. That would be really awesome.
Yes it would.

Hopefully there won't be people like me trying to stop people from buying it.