Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Forge of Shadows

Notices

Old 3rd Mar 2008, 04:57 AM   #31
immortius

Originally Posted by Trapmaster: ( link to post ) 
Will TUT objects be improved or replaced? I think since they have a low poly count, they should be replaced by new ones.
Depends on the model in question. For some the addition of a normal map and other texture tweaks might be enough to make them feel detailed enough.

Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe-: ( link to post ) 
02/03/2008?! Sweet! The alpha has been out for nearly a month and I'm just now finding out about it
I refuse to conform to ridiculous American date formats.

Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe-: ( link to post ) 
Just played.. Well done.
As far as bugs.. do you want us to report "everything" ? even the obvious stuff like the player texture warping that occurs when the guards get ko'd and the lack of things like mantle? How about the brightness? I found it to be extremely dark and i had my brightness maxed out.
Feel free to report everything, but try not to duplicate bugs. The brightness thing I would like some further opinions on - the brightness should be identical to TUT's, but UT3's brightness meter doesn't go as high and a lot of people are used to playing thievery with brightness so high shadows are mere tea-stains, from what I can tell.

Originally Posted by SpamSlayer: ( link to post ) 
YaY :]
So...whose going to setup the server? haha ^^ -- can you play it multiplayer?
Yes, although it is a bit buggier than single player. I haven't tested whether the gametype will appear in the browser though.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 10:42 AM   #32
MasterThief3

I put a news post up this morning.

*Readies the noob barricade*
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 11:21 AM   #33
Illuminus

Thanks MasterThief3
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 03:12 PM   #34
Fuzzy Bunny

About the brightness thing, is there a way to adjust gamma in UT3? In ASw, brightness doesn't do much good, but gamma works well for modifying how light or dark the shadows are.
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 03:31 PM   #35
HawK047

Yeah it would be pretty nice to be able to adjust the lightness and the gamma of your screen. Also it would be nice if it where possible for Thief to have a somewhat brighter screen then a gaurd, cause its more fun playing a gaurd with pitch black shadows around you, but you wont be able to see a thing when playing as a Thief:/ P.S: Since NightBlade has been altered to be kind of a remake of Thievery, will it still use some features the old NightBlade was supposed to have? The Stealth mode and Combat mode for example?
Old 3rd Mar 2008, 03:39 PM   #36
-KewlAzMe-

It already appears to be using the stealth mode... as if you look in 3rd person view you have the red skeletal outline and the light meter. I do hope immort adds the "Visibility%" meter back in on the hud as well, as that was the most useful.

I think the original NB was gonna have a different combat system, but I don't know if they dropped that idea too.
Old 4th Mar 2008, 02:21 PM   #37
NightSage

OMG FI_NA_LY! lol no suprise you guys released the high poly thief model with it
Old 4th Mar 2008, 04:47 PM   #38
HawK047

Not entirely sure, but as far as ive played, i think its the low poly modell. Still looking awesome though!

By the way, will there be any 3rd person animations for the thief? Thievery didnt realy have this (atleast not the bow part) and i'd love to see my friend realisticly follow me when doing a LAN coop of NightBlade in the possible future

P.S: Its propably not worth the time for developers to read, but i think theyve also did an awesome job on the new light gem looks aswell!
Old 4th Mar 2008, 07:34 PM   #39
Dalai
Project Lead

What animations did you have in mind Hawk?
Old 4th Mar 2008, 07:48 PM   #40
-KewlAzMe-

There already seems to be some partial animations in 3rd person.. a slight bj movement when swinging and a slight little shift when shooting the bow... but yea full blown 3rd person movement that shows the what the first person player sees.
Old 5th Mar 2008, 06:14 AM   #41
HawK047

Originally Posted by Dalai: ( link to post ) 
What animations did you have in mind Hawk?
In Thievery for example, when using a bow, your character would use the default "gun wielding" animation, it would realy add to the feel if you could see other thieves having a real bow animation

Maybe some cool side animations like a special creep animation, or a modified walk animation when equipping the bow/blackjack before use as if youre about to use it.

The downside to this might be the work you will have to do to modell this and to code it in the game while a gaurd will hardly see thieves doing this.
It would bring forward alot more attention from the default "graphic horny UT player" though.

Quote:
a slight bj movement when swinging
Didnt notice that one yet, last time i ran around through the NB alpha it had the normal gun wielding animation, guess il have to look a bit closer then
Old 5th Mar 2008, 10:04 AM   #42
-KewlAzMe-

I noticed that the player mesh has the blackjack on his belt, even when the blackjack is in hand. Are there plans to make that change based on whether or not it is in hand?

I know earlier there was discussions of having the players items on their belt like a bandoleer or vest that had them attached that would accurately reflect what the user had available.
Old 5th Mar 2008, 11:51 AM   #43
Denny

If it weren't for the fact that I have my own mod to work on I would help out on the animations. :/
Old 5th Mar 2008, 08:07 PM   #44
col2004

Now this is a pleasent surprise!

4 years of waiting for night-blade and I finally get to play something!

Im glad you guys have seen the light with public releases. They are the way forward with any mod to be sure, keeping everything tight-lipped and only available to an inner circle of lucky people usually leads to dissapointment when a mod doesn't reach peoples expectations.

Luckilly with public alphas/beta's, this is combatted as feedback can help shape the gameplay for the better.
Old 5th Mar 2008, 08:19 PM   #45
-KewlAzMe-

I got a server running on my client PC. But when I try running it on my separate ded server pc I get different errors about some kind of cache missing for every actor one by one.

Only diff I saw while running it on my client pc was that when you KO guards they go into like slowmo death mode and fall slowly and get caught up on/in you.

Also when i cratered, my player skin went all stretched out.
Old 5th Mar 2008, 08:53 PM   #46
col2004

Just came off it now after a quick play around.

Here's my feedback so far, dont worry Im not going to slam it, alphas are incomplete and dont reflect the final product blah blah I know the deal all too well...

So far, Im most impressed with the detail of the player models, great quality obviously the animations need work though.

My biggest gripes have to be the loading times and the button configs so far, so nothing to worry about as this is something which is most likely to be sorted in non too distant releases I presume? Definately need a togglable crouch key to keep my sanity I will play with config files later.

So far, I'd say its a massive leap considering the short period of time UT3 has been out. Definately on the right track mate, I just hope more dynamic uses of light and shadow will be present in the future as the TUT style lighting is a bit drab.

So far so good
Old 6th Mar 2008, 01:25 AM   #47
immortius

UT3 allows you to toggle crouch by pressing the crouch key twice quickly.
Old 8th Mar 2008, 04:52 AM   #48
necros

Just wondering, although it's probably because the DE map was simply converted from TUT to NB without any changes? But, on my card, the lighting, especially in dark areas is really terrible...

In darkness, it almost looks like the colour depth is 8-bit (that kind of effect) Just wondering if this is a problem unique to me (PS 2.0), or UT3's lighting on the thievery maps really is terrible.

Brightness, Post-Processing, Gamma Correction etc don't make a difference.

It's also strange that this is only in NB and not UT3 proper, but there aren't really any "dark" areas in UT3.
Old 9th Mar 2008, 01:03 AM   #49
immortius

Originally Posted by necros: ( link to post ) 
Just wondering, although it's probably because the DE map was simply converted from TUT to NB without any changes? But, on my card, the lighting, especially in dark areas is really terrible...

In darkness, it almost looks like the colour depth is 8-bit (that kind of effect) Just wondering if this is a problem unique to me (PS 2.0), or UT3's lighting on the thievery maps really is terrible.

Brightness, Post-Processing, Gamma Correction etc don't make a difference.

It's also strange that this is only in NB and not UT3 proper, but there aren't really any "dark" areas in UT3.
A lot of the textures are straight from TUT, so I wouldn't expect any vast improvement on their quality - but it shouldn't look worse. Shadow quality is also set to the equivalent levels to Thievery's, but that only effect how well defined they are, not the color depth of the textures they work on. So I dunno.

Regarding the lack of really dark areas, DE's ambient light setting was copied across as part of the conversion.
Old 9th Mar 2008, 03:31 PM   #50
necros

I think it's my card, i noticed a similar effect in dark areas in UT3 proper.

Shouldnt be a problem however much longer, getting 8800GT