Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 19th Oct 2009, 01:00 PM   #1
lightfoot

Lo! and behold: a free "boot 'n play" package.

You will have to see this to believe it.

The linux live gamers DVD features more than 30 games, most of which are really nice. Games of any kind, some casual, but also some full grown ones. In fact, it seems like the crème de la crème of native linux games has been collected here. Hell, even WorldOfPadman alone would be worth the download. 8) But to sum it up, I have never seen so much good gaming content, in such a nicely presented package, for free!

Mind, you DON'T need to have Linux installed to run this: the DVD is a bootable live system, means it will leave your HD alone. Amazing technology, simply.

If you boot into the media (there is several versions, even one for a USB stick), you will just have to hit OK a couple of times, cos of driver licence stuff, but then the system auto-configures itself, recognizing your hardware. Graphics, sound, network, everything you need. Like, even a chat client and a web browser, sparing you the need of going back into your main system every five minutes.

There is no reason to not get this, unless you are on a modem- or per-traffic connection, as it is a 4,2GB download/torrent.

In the highly unlikely case that you don't like at least some of the games, the DVD will make a nice little present.
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Moses2k

Yeah, quite a few big games run under WINE, too.

Such as...
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2009, 01:56 PM   #3
Bucchus

The idea itself is brilliant, totally. I've been wondering if something like this existed.

However, it needs more quality content. I don't know what's the deal with the linux-only gaming developers/community, are they all stuck on making games that resemble windows 3.11 desktop games from the early 90s or what... Is it some sort of dislike towards more complex games, are they too "Windows" or something?

I mean, there's once again Tux Racers and those on this list. I'd rather get some sort of boot disc that has a NES/Famicom emulator. Frozen Bubble, the most praised linux gaming pearl that in my opinion doesn't play as well as the original Puzzle Bobble. Okay, we have Liero and Scorched Earth remakes which are fine as they are but this whole thing seems like a quickie arcade gaming snack - which leads to the question what is Wesnoth doing there then? I just hope that those titles I have no recollection of are the better ones.

Frets on Fire is in my experience incredibly picky on hardware, especially since it's a game that's so dependent on precision. Where the hell are stuff like roguelikes at least? (Okay, there's probably an opensource requirement, but then there's World of Goo demo? Makes no sense.)

I'm not sure if those are some of the ones on the list but two years back I tried some of those touted linux-only FPS's and it was a "meh" experience. Creating games that are somehow "Only for Linux" (which is often said in a sort of jealous tone) is as stupid as developing games that are proud that they run only on a mac or Windows rig. They're demoting themselves on the same level as their much-loathed Windows developer adversaries.

Yeah, I'm evil for critizing something that's free but if they'd throw in at least some roguelikes like Nethack / Adom / Incursion and the like, heck even Dwarf Fortress running through Wine and I'd be way more interested.
Old 19th Oct 2009, 04:20 PM   #4
Moses2k

There are some fancier ones like Sauerbraten and Nexuiz or whatever it's called, but yup. Recall that very many casual games are in Flash, too. MAME and other emulators are available on Linux, too, ya know. Not an apologist, I don't play any/many FOSS games.

DF runs fine in WINE and that's all you should need.
Old 23rd Oct 2009, 07:47 AM   #5
-KewlAzMe-

I had been trying to do this with console emulators... tho my linux skills are weak
Old 27th Mar 2012, 03:36 PM   #6
lightfoot

Bumping this, cos I just found that there is a new version, 0.9.7
http://live.linux-gamers.net/?s=home

Didn't try it out yet myself, torrenting atm. Is availiable as regular download too, for those that are afraid of torrents (no juristical reasons for that tho, long as the content is legal, as is the case here).

Reading back, I can't accept much of the quick shot objections made by Bucchus and Moses. Most of those are theoretical reasons - you obviously didn't bother to try, but felt like critizising anyway - or just don't apply.
Old 27th Mar 2012, 06:58 PM   #7
Bucchus

Wait, you're expecting me to comment on some thread from 3 years back? Not a chanc... oh. I just read my post like it was written by someone else than myself, interesting. Still, my experience with the games on topic is probably from around 2005-2007 but I stand by what the Bucchus-of-Yesterday said, the community ought to get over the Tux Racers and into something more meaty. Most of the games here represent something I exhausted completely during the 90s, which is okay if people didn't go through that age of gaming or are looking for a retro fix. Just don't expect me to get excited over the possibility of breakout clones on Linux.

I think the Humble Indie Bundles have done 1000% more good towards Linux gaming than bundling these as Linux gaming promotion by offering games that are more than light arcade type rehashes. Blobby Volley was quick fun for splitscreen over ten years ago but I require something more refined for my gaming fix. (I totally agree this post is a cheap and quick shot, don't mind me )

Also I ditched my Kubuntu rig recently so I'm probably not even allowed to participate in Linux gaming discussions

edit: I think I ignored the most obvious bit with this that it is easy to plug on any computer, I just keep thinking things from my perspective in that I'd have no need for a device like this at home. Sorry. I need to get out more often. It could be handy if you're like, visiting an aunt and in the middle of a boring tea chat session you could just ask to borrow her laptop. Remember to invite her to play too or you'll be a really rude visitor! Something like Cortex Command would be awesomely suitable here, just pack some extra controllers. Except it's not open source. Actually they could really try to rebrand this thing for especially splitscreen party games.

Last edited by Bucchus; 27th Mar 2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added stuff
Bucchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Mar 2012, 06:03 AM   #8
]>CoD<[Chief

That's a different linux games dvd to the one I found back in the day, the one I tried had doom3 demo on it - either way I think you're better off with mastering your own dvd so you can get it running quick (I recall the games dvd I tried was a tad slow booting).
Old 28th Mar 2012, 08:12 AM   #9
lightfoot

So you had tried some of those games, and didn't like 'em, okay. Or liked them, but just for a while, until you found better ones. While I find it hard to believe that you 'exhausted' more than a handful of those 30 games, I will leave that point out for now.

I just felt that that is no good reason to turn down the whole project. Pretty sure they'd listen if we'd recommend other games to include, granted that those be free, too. But it won't help anything if you and me discuss that, in a way that actually prevents people from trying this package out.

Apart from actually liking some games on that DVD (v.0.9.5/6), I was amazed at the technology of putting it all into a bootable package, with extra stuff, in a working standalone-mini-OS. If I was able to make such things myself, maybe the collection would be different too, but that's a bit besides the point, no?
Other objections you had, like linux-only games being stupid, or that you miss roguelikes, are besides the point as well. They just don't fit here, true or not.

So, I was enthusiastic, you were not. Question of taste, I would say, if not for the fact that you didn't even try the thing you talked about.

It may all be an old hat for you, okay. Wasn't for me, and I am sure that there are a lot people out there, like me, who have NOT tried all those games, and grew out of 'em, as you say about yourself, years before.

And now again, so the Humble Bundle is good, does that make other projects bad? I really don't see how it does. You complain about a demo in that package, then you say Cortex Command should be in there, which is not free? You admit that it couldn't, and that there are a few nice games in there, and even that it is unfair to bash a free bundle, but you go and do exactly that? I just don't get it. Is it wrong if I like something, and say so? The way I did it?

Maybe I was wrong calling it a crème-de-la-crème collection, and you woulda known better than me. But what is this, I should not play a game that you don't like? You don't have to try stuff, cos you just know? I -and even 'the community'- should follow your aesthetic judgements? Way outta line, in my view.
I see, 'quick shot' was still too weak. To me, what you just wrote was another bunch of bad reasons, off-topic, and pale rhetorics. Contradictory, too. I could take it all even further apart, for I still didn't address all of those manoevres. But I see that it goes nowhere.
We should keep her out of the discussion, but as you mention her, I really should rather try to convince my auntie, guess she would be a better listener. For sure she would reply more to the point, and not be thinking she knows it all.

No, I can't expect you to be as excited as I am. But I also didn't expect a swarm of torpedoes. Luckily, those were badly aimed. Quick shots, as I said. Maybe I deserved them, back then, for being overly enthusiastic. Maybe I do now, for becoming a bit personal. Anyway, try again.

We can turn my fanboyish advertisement into an eristics game, but I will rather burn the DVD this evening, and write a well-informed review. Pretty sure I will have a couple of hours fun tonight, playing several games, some of them new to me. But even if I only end up giggling, while blasting a few tees, and afterwards make the disc into a present for someone, I see no harm in that.

-

EDIT: the above was aimed at Bucchus' comments, of course. Thought hard about really posting it, but then decided that I better not think and write for hours, and then refrain from submitting again. Maybe it is me being outta line here, but it is not like there is much else happening in the forum. I thought it is the right place after all.

Chief, my experience with Linux is small, I am glad if things work, and have not yet reached the stage of such experiments, I fear. But yeah, maybe I should just try, and taking the technology already achieved on this DVD-bundle, as a base to start from, sounds doable.

Last edited by lightfoot; 28th Mar 2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 28th Mar 2012, 09:03 AM   #10
]>CoD<[Chief

puppy linux has an auto save feature, so you grab the small iso, burn it to a non-finalized dvd, and then go from there, every time you reboot/shutdown it asks if you want to save your OS changes to disc - that way you can slowly create your very own OS.

There's also open suse's custom web builder, its rather fun - select what you want and burn to disc. Tinkered a bit with it, forget just how customisable it is.

Old 28th Mar 2012, 09:27 AM   #11
Bucchus

Whoah whoah lightfoot! I did not mean to cause such a reaction - what I said is purely personal opinion, obviously and just my shallow personal glance to the issue/games offered based on my previous experiences with most of the titles. Obviously there's people who think otherwise since this whole project has been created, and diversity is good. I'm not stopping people from trying and enjoying this, just wanted to express one viewpoint to it, specifically mine, dunno which demographic I belong in. I don't claim to be a posterboy who has some perfect taste in gaming, I thought the subtle agri simulator screenshot kind of hinted it

Hell, if you're going to follow the advice from me and Moses in opinions like these, this dvd would be full of just obscure Ukrainian flash games and the harshest alpha state roguelikes, which probably isn't going to suit a lot of people

Like you said, questions of taste. Stand down soldiers, these are not malicious torpedoes! The possible unintended nastiness in the posts is more directed towards (hopefully obsolete and past) issues and attitudes with the general Linux gaming "community", not you, not the creators of this DVD. Which makes it a pretty off-topic subject. Also I still feel guilty for mocking something that's offered for free.
Old 28th Mar 2012, 02:57 PM   #12
lightfoot

'tis okay, now that I vented, and through your reply, there are no hard feelings left.
I had felt like that before, those 2.5 years ago, that your comments don't do justice to that initiative, and when it happened again, I thought I need to react.

Now I feel sorry myself, for going into rave-mode.

Okay, will go play a bit now, and be back to all of you with some kind of review about what I find, these days.

Chief, I know the puppy, nice thing, and not only for the ingenious "save customisations back to CD" feature. It runs well on my EeePC, much better than Ubuntu. If you don't know it, try Puppy Arcade, now that is pure awesomeness...
Old 28th Mar 2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Moses2k

If I made it, it would be WINE running I Wanna Be the Guy and when you got tired of that, Pathologic.

-=This thread is now about roguelikes=-

Seriously, the recent 7-Day Roguelike Compo had some okay stuff. The one by the guy who made the excellent kobold RL for a previous compo made the one featured in the top pic there:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...days-of-rogue/

Current best list of long-form RLs hasn't changed much: Crawl, TOME4, IVAN, Incursion (still in development), brogue.

Best shortform:

http://www.zincland.com/7drl/kobold/
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopme...p/Save_Scummer
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopme...Only_Live_Once (I think this is the one)
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopme...ex.php/Madness
http://www.zincland.com/7drl/jacob/
Old 28th Mar 2012, 05:54 PM   #14
]>CoD<[Chief

Well while I recommended puppy to you, I can't actually use it as it doesn't play nice with my PC - it disables the keyboard once it gets to the desktop