Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 16th May 2008, 06:01 PM   #31
Illuminus

Wow. Being a bit overly defensive here are we?
Old 16th May 2008, 07:09 PM   #32
Inq

It seem that most people are in agreement that it just looks quite ugly, especially when people start naming themselves, for example, "Louie" where the colours get more obnoxious than anything. I can see you're adamant about the whole colour thing in the player scoreboard, but I personally just can't see what it'd add to the aesthetics of the game. Surely it would just become one of those blazé extra game features that nobody pays attention to after a week or two, just like how few people on forum boards use coloured text for general posts.
Old 16th May 2008, 07:20 PM   #33
Baz

Heaven forbid Moses takes advantage of it
Imagine the horror that would be the clan Crab Shack tag.
Old 16th May 2008, 08:43 PM   #34
TafferBoy

players will abuse things no matter what. Imo thats no reason to be afraid of adding customization options that the vast majority of players will enjoy and use sensibly.

no reason why colours have to be fluro and whether its tacky or not is a personal decision. I think that AlTeRnAtInG CaPiTaLs makes you look like an idiot - doesn't stop people using them.

However, if its not already in UT3 it sounds like it would be far too much work for very little gain.

Last edited by TafferBoy; 16th May 2008 at 09:22 PM.
Old 16th May 2008, 09:22 PM   #35
Ghostly apparition

Originally Posted by LoUie: ( link to post ) 
and if it was possible it doesnt mean ppl will actually color their nicknames in all colors of the rainbow.
But it doesn't mean they won't. In fact, just the fact you said that, will have some people doing it.
If they want to make this possible I don't really have an objection to it as long as there is some way for me to turn it off.

Edit: regards Baz's post. Moses is a case in point, one has only to look at his profile to realize some people will abuse the colors options.
Its hideous and unreadable.
Old 17th May 2008, 12:50 PM   #36
LoUie

Originally Posted by TafferBoy: ( link to post ) 
I think that AlTeRnAtInG CaPiTaLs makes you look like an idiot
totaly agree.

Ghostly apparition: also depends on what we all mean with "abusing". im quite sure that a HUUGE part of the majority is on our side when it comes to having a rainbow colored nickname. i think ppl would more try to add a color here, and one there and try to make it look good rather than coloring your nickname in all colors possible and make yourself look like a total CLOWN.
Old 17th May 2008, 02:30 PM   #37
LoUie

double post.

oh well, not to much more to say, now ive seen some opinions. only thing i can hope for now is that they actually do this option, then im gonna color my nickname in all colors of the rainbow and a few more just to annoy you guys XDD
Old 17th May 2008, 03:17 PM   #38
Ghostly apparition

totaly agree.

Ghostly apparition: also depends on what we all mean with "abusing". im quite sure that a HUUGE part of the majority is on our side when it comes to having a rainbow colored nickname. i think ppl would more try to add a color here, and one there and try to make it look good rather than coloring your nickname in all colors possible and make yourself look like a total CLOWN.
I have to agree with you that for the most part players would probably tend to be tasteful with their color choices. But I have seen enough clowns on these forums already to know that it will be abused.
Like I said as long as there is an option to turn it off so as not to annoy me I don't care.
But if the devs were wise they won't create options that will annoy their playerbase. What would be the sense of that?
Old 18th May 2008, 10:02 AM   #39
-KewlAzMe-

It will also get annoying when people change their name to the same color as the background like this "KamZor"
(Highlight to see)
Old 18th May 2008, 10:35 AM   #40
Rodent

Location: Fighting to survive in a war with the darkest power...
stop giving them ideas.
Old 18th May 2008, 11:42 AM   #41
LoUie

haha Spam, i kinda found that amusing aswell but since there werent to much to say anymore i thought i wont bother. i cant stop myself from saying it a 3rd or 4th time, but exaggerating abit in here arent we.
Old 18th May 2008, 02:16 PM   #42
Ghostly apparition

Originally Posted by SpamSlayer: ( link to post ) 
To annoy their playerbase?
Well, I still like the idea. But of course lets wait for the rest of the code to be written ;D who knows, maybe when Nightblade goes beta the feature will be in and if it gets a negative response a small patch will come removing it >.<
That was the one part of my post you noticed when in fact the quote below is the most important.

Originally Posted by Ghostly apparition: ( link to post ) 
Like I said as long as there is an option to turn it off so as not to annoy me I don't care.
They can make Giant Green alien letters to make your name with for all I care as long as there is an option to leave it normal. For people who don't care to view others foolishness.

From reading the comments already, I know who the clowns are.
Old 18th May 2008, 03:09 PM   #43
LoUie

They can make Giant Green alien letters to make your name with for all I care
no need to exaggerate, we already have enuff of that here for the last time XD

For people who don't care to view others foolishness.
to add a color of two to your nickname to make it look nice/cool in anyway isnt foolishness. its in several huge games already from big companies, now you dont think companies like ID software etc would add FOOLISHNESS to their games now? thought so. yet another exaggerate ;>
Old 18th May 2008, 03:48 PM   #44
necros

I'm sure louie is the one with the pink and blue name who totally OWNNNNZ at freezerail huh?

Although when used right it can make your name look really nice, it'd most likely be a much better use of the coders' time to make the game rather than worry about coloured names

Oh, and the entire game Doom 3 and (to a lesser extent) Quake 4 were total epic fail so, i wouldnt put it past them.

Oh, and it's spelt colour...
Old 19th May 2008, 02:00 AM   #45
FatRatHead

Originally Posted by TafferBoy: ( link to post ) 
no reason why colours have to be fluro and whether its tacky or not is a personal decision. I think that AlTeRnAtInG CaPiTaLs makes you look like an idiot - doesn't stop people using them.
Someone's in troublee
Old 19th May 2008, 02:24 AM   #46
TafferBoy

I feel that validates my point.

seriously though, its a question of personal preference. People should be able to do whatever they like. If people happen to find that 'annoying' then that doesn't mean its 'abusive'.
Old 19th May 2008, 11:05 AM   #47
]>CoD<[Chief

Quote:
People should be able to do whatever they like.
Right, so if the devs don't want it, they can do what they like and not bother putting it in.

Quote:
well, obviously...
Old 19th May 2008, 11:41 AM   #48
LoUie

Originally Posted by ]>CoD<[Chief: ( link to post ) 
Right, so if the devs don't want it, they can do what they like and not bother putting it in.
noo..! you dont mean that? ^^

Originally Posted by necros: ( link to post ) 
yes, you are right, "colour" is one of the two correct spellings of the word.
Old 19th May 2008, 06:03 PM   #49
TafferBoy

Originally Posted by ]>CoD<[Chief: ( link to post ) 
I see how you used my own argument out of context to agree with my position .

Just seemed to me that if a player has 'poor taste' then they should abandon hopes of a career as an interior decorator. But that doesn't make them a 'griefer'. The internet is full of annoying people (right now I'm being one of them), thick-skins are in order.

Imo, the only plausible argument against 'coloured names' used in this thread is that the devs have better things to work on - to which I agree wholeheartedly.

Last edited by TafferBoy; 19th May 2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 19th May 2008, 09:50 PM   #50
Ghostly apparition

no need to exaggerate, we already have enuff of that here for the last time XD

to add a color of two to your nickname to make it look nice/cool in anyway isnt foolishness. its in several huge games already from big companies, now you dont think companies like ID software etc would add FOOLISHNESS to their games now? thought so. yet another exaggerate ;>
I was stating my opinion of colors in names. I think its foolishness. Doesn't add anything to the game as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I think companies would add colors to their games even if they thought it foolishness, if it would help sell games. Get real. Companies make games to sell games and make money. They would make a game about a big pink gay elephant if they thought it would sell millions of copies.

All that aside, as I said earlier it makes absolutely no difference to me if they make the names colors or not. Is there any reason I shouldn't have the option to turn it off or are you just intent on inflicting your color name on me come hell or high water?
Old 19th May 2008, 10:24 PM   #51
Spidey

This subject is branching out into an international argument tree!

On the colors, I don't really give a rip if someone uses one color for their name and it only shows on the scoreboard. Now if they're going rainbow and I can't shut it off, thereby spraining my eyeballs from a funky blue-red contrast, I'll have to sue for pain and suffering.

It seems it's not so much the color that's at issue, but rather the potential for dangerous rainbow proliferation. We could deal with it like the SALT treaty, allowing only a select group of people to use rainbow power for the win, while compensating other groups in return for remaining monochrome. Or perhaps the temptation toward polychromism is too strong for any mortal to resist, and we should never speak of it again.

Concerning the British argument: Although I can hardly argue that America isn't riddled with ignorance, I too am of the opinion that British people have a British accent and Americans (unless they're from the south or Upper Peninsula Michigan) have no accent. Granted, the Brits spoke English long before the colonists, but I cannot abide by the British pronunciation of "Aluminum". They talk funny!

Also, I work with a lady from Trinidad....I think she's incapable of saying '35'. Whenever she calls over the PA for a price check, it's always "Turty-Fiveuh!"

Last edited by Spidey; 19th May 2008 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Trinidad
Old 19th May 2008, 10:55 PM   #52
TafferBoy

Hey rainbows were totally happening in the '60s man - flowa powa dood

Having a toggle option would be easy, so I don't take the 'mine eyes the goggles do nothing' to be a forceful argument.

'turty five' eh, try getting her to say 'I brush my teeth'.
Old 20th May 2008, 05:05 AM   #53
FatRatHead

Using a coloured nickname in the scoreboard to distinguish yourself from others would make sense. This way only your own name would be coloured and others would see their own coloured name to tell themselves from others without any hassle.

Generally I am wondering what are we members doing discussing colours and shades in names instead of talking about more important stuff while it still can be implemented. What I want to say by this is that people are eager to discuss and are ready to talk through anything, we just do not start topics anymore.

Lou could've submitted this as a feature in the NB project subforum, it wouldn't get as crowded then.
Old 20th May 2008, 05:55 AM   #54
LoUie

I was stating my opinion of colors in names. I think its foolishness. Doesn't add anything to the game as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I think companies would add colors to their games even if they thought it foolishness, if it would help sell games. Get real. Companies make games to sell games and make money. They would make a game about a big pink gay elephant if they thought it would sell millions of copies.
that didnt make sense. first of all you're right, it doesnt add anything to the GAME itself. and the companies adds it as a small extra fun option, nothing more. now you seriously dont think that adding a small little extra option like coloring your nickname would make people wanna buy the game more?! YOU get real! you said it yourself, it doesnt add anything to the game as far as you're concerned.

id seriously lmao if i were to buy a pc game and check out the features at the back like "new weapons!" "multiplayer coop possible!" "5 new DM maps!" sure, then also ofc "now you can even color your NICKNAME!!1"
Old 20th May 2008, 06:01 AM   #55
-KewlAzMe-

Companies make games to sell games and make money. They would make a game about a big pink gay elephant if they thought it would sell millions of copies.
Big Pink Gay Elephant you say?!! Tell me more!
Old 20th May 2008, 06:15 AM   #56
DiP

If it was possible to colour the name...to stop abuse...you could just limit the colours they can use(At the server admins discretion).
Old 20th May 2008, 06:47 AM   #57
FatRatHead

Well I suggested players would see only their own colour customisation - others would stay unchanged. This way users could quench their twisted desires without annoying other people.
Old 20th May 2008, 06:52 AM   #58
LoUie

Originally Posted by FatRatHead: ( link to post ) 
Well I suggested players would see only their own colour customisation - others would stay unchanged. This way users could quench their twisted desires without annoying other people.
ehm no. either the option is availble or it isnt, theres nothing inbetween here, cause making everybody able to se others nickname is quite a big POINT of the whole thing aswell.
Old 20th May 2008, 07:23 AM   #59
FatRatHead

Obviously you need the ability to annoy other players by means other than skill.
Old 20th May 2008, 08:27 AM   #60
TafferBoy

I agree FRH, it would be better to discuss more substantive issues, but this is fun nevertheless lol.

Consider the following examples:

M2 joins the server, he sports the nickname "MoDeTwo". This annoys another player - Gladius, who thinks that alternating caps look ugly. Is M2 exhibiting abusive behaviour? Should M2 be kicked from the server for his poor choice of handle?

Next Louie joins the server, he sports the nickname "Louie". This annoys a few male players who, feeling fragile about their sexuality, are enraged by the colour pink. Is Louie exhibiting abusive behaviour? Should Louie be kicked from the server for his poor choice of handle?

- I see no real difference between these situations. In both cases, the 'offending' player has not done anything that is truly offensive or abusive. Therefore, they do not deserve to be kicked. Therefore I see nothing wrong with coloured nicknames, especially if you can turn it off.

Tags
baked, colour, pointless