Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 21st May 2008, 08:21 AM   #91
Inq

Wow. I'm not sure where this topic is going, but allow me to get it back on track. I'll just say for the British though, I'm English and I really don't think it matters much how the Americans spell their words. Our words are just bastardized French, Spanish, Latin and whatnot. What's more infuriating is that they call football "soccer"!

Quote:
now you seriously dont think that adding a small little extra option like coloring your nickname would make people wanna buy the game more?! YOU get real! you said it yourself, it doesnt add anything to the game as far as you're concerned.
In my experience, people are absolute idiots and they'll buy anything if its marketed well enough. I've seen bucket loads of games and other things that have sold by offering pointless extras, tat and general garbage. We've all seen games where it's basically the same game, but they've added perhaps a "character creation screen" that has roughly two or three options on it. See Jedi Knight II's add-on for an example. These things sell because it makes people think they have more options, when infact the new implemented system is half arsed at best. I feel that obnoxious coloured font would just clash with setting of Nightblade. It makes the game look inconsistent with the colours and therefore ugly. This isn't exclusive to games, it applies to just about everything. I don't think anyone will disagree with this comment.

What I found so likeable about ThieveryUT (aside from the obvious stuff) was the mature attitude of the other players, the slick atmosphere of the game. When you've got a bunch of loudmouth teens running around with their jazzy blazing colours, it tends to kill the atmosphere somewhat. With dull colours and clearly readable ye-oldé style fonts the integrity of the game would be much better. Since this game isn't a business endeavour, the creators wouldn't have to pander to irksome requests for butt ugly coloured names. Sequels to franchises long passed their sell by date, like Halo or whatever, have to include these worthless additions because they need bits and bobs to identify the differences between their new games and their previous ones with as little work time taken up as possible.

Since games like UT, Halo, etc. don't heavily rely on a mood or atmosphere like this game would, the colours, aside from being painfully irritating to most gamers, are a good way to help make a quick, lazy profit.
Old 21st May 2008, 09:58 AM   #92
-KewlAzMe-

Silence BigD! there's no rule about colorized posting!
Old 21st May 2008, 05:25 PM   #93
Ghostly apparition

Originally Posted by LoUie: ( link to post ) 

One of the most important rules in discussions is that you should know what you're aiming for and sticking to the issue the whole time. KAM is a good example of someone who isnt sticking to the issue, so i dont know what he's even doing in here, he just makes himself look even more dumber than what he is.
As per your request, back on topic. Here I'm going to cover both subjects. The colorized names which I feel would lead to annoyance and your opinion that kam has nothing substantive to offer to the discussion. Below is an example which Kam was so kind to offer that I think illustrates the point quite succinctly.

Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe-: ( link to post ) 
Nah... this is much more important. This will remove all balance problems and is the best weapon.

Sneak up on Guard...
Reach over your head ready to strike...
Write multiCOLORed graffiti all over the wall next to him...
Run!
That is what the endgame screen would likely look like, which is why if they do decide to grant such a ridiculous request I would like the option to turn it off so I won't end up playing a medieval themed sneak game in the middle of Ringling Brothers circus.
Old 21st May 2008, 06:08 PM   #94
LoUie

Originally Posted by Inq: ( link to post ) 
In my experience, people are absolute idiots and they'll buy anything if its marketed well enough.
"in your experience" ..? id say more that we're ALL aware of it.. and both you and me know that beeing able to add colors to your nickname is NOT one of them.

Originally Posted by Ghostly apparition: ( link to post ) 
That is what the endgame screen would likely look like
just /o\

first of all, everyone knows that the ending screen wouldnt look like that. irony, sarcasm and exaggerate is pretty much there is in this thread, esp. from you kids that cannot argue and discuss on a more adult level. try to be serious for once.

the "smiley" i did above is SO appropriate for what you said about the ENDING screen imo its ridiculous.. here i sat and thought that you'd somehow be annoyed while PLAYING (even tho colors in that case wouldnt appear ingame when you play EXCEPT for the scoreboard which you self brings up (which you mostly dont) well atleast not that often since you're running around chasing thieves/thiefing. like, do you even got time to get annoyed by a nickname with a color in it or a fullcolored nickname or just WHATEVER it is!?) its not that you should sit and STUDY the damn scoreboard or nicknames while you're playing, and here you talk about the damn scoreboard at the ENDINGS when ppl are not even playing... JESUS CHRIST...!?!? T_T just what planet are you from?
Old 21st May 2008, 06:31 PM   #95
FatRatHead

You can't even see the score of the majority of the players on the server (you cannot see the score of opposite team and spectators and they do appear on the scoreboard) yet you would flush your eyes down the toilet by pressing that ShowScores button. Players could and oh they would attack your sensory organs whenever you attempted to check the amount of loot or the players online. Benefit - absolutely none - I cannot count aestethics as there are mixed opinions on it having a negative impact. Risks - numerous.
Old 21st May 2008, 06:58 PM   #96
Ghostly apparition

just /o\

first of all, everyone knows that the ending screen wouldnt look like that. irony, sarcasm and exaggerate is pretty much there is in this thread, esp. from you kids that cannot argue and discuss on a more adult level. try to be serious for once.
That reply given to me, is quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read here. Is that meant to bolster your argument?
Old 21st May 2008, 06:59 PM   #97
TafferBoy

Risks? To me the benefits are purely aesthetic, the detriments are purely aesthetic. And based on a player's taste they can switch it on or off.

I'm not convinced that colours spoil the setting. The online necessities of chat and scoreboard are separate from the game-environment. I don't rage-quit when I come across a medieval knight named 'bladem4ster007' so I think I am capable of deriving enjoyment from matching my name colour to that of my guildmates...
Old 21st May 2008, 07:01 PM   #98
-KewlAzMe-

So I've not been able to full read the original post without my eyes crossing... and I'm not even sure where he wants colors. I thought he wanted colored names in the forums at first.. which would have been silly but a novelty... but does he mean colored names in Nightblade? After all the crap I got for my "Show-team-location-when-whispering" not being "thiefy" enough... but rainbow colors are?... I'm speechless. (except for all this)
Old 21st May 2008, 07:29 PM   #99
TafferBoy

you got crap for "Show-team-location-when-whispering"?
That is indeed strange.
Old 21st May 2008, 08:39 PM   #100
Spidey

Originally Posted by FatRatHead: ( link to post ) 
Well I suggested players would see only their own colour customisation - others would stay unchanged. This way users could quench their twisted desires without annoying other people.

Amen, brutha! I'm okay with a one-color choice for a name, but if the developers allow rainbow options on the names, I would suggest it only be possible if the player's skin is changed to that of a clown, complete with bulbous red nose, pointed hat, and oversized shoes. Oh...and a honking noise whenever they walk.

Louie, I know you want the colored names really bad, and it looks like you won't accept any compromise concerning other players not wanting to see it. I'm still not clear if you really want the full rainbow deal or just a single color option, but I don't think attacking the dissenters is going to get the developers on your side.
Old 21st May 2008, 08:51 PM   #101
Ghostly apparition

Originally Posted by SPIDER: ( link to post ) 
Amen, brutha! I'm okay with a one-color choice for a name, but if the developers allow rainbow options on the names, I would suggest it only be possible if the player's skin is changed to that of a clown, complete with bulbous red nose, pointed hat, and oversized shoes. Oh...and a honking noise whenever they walk.
Ok, I'm onboard with this idea. GREAT suggestion.

I would add that as soon as they change their name to a rainbow clown that as soon as they rejoin the game they get a redeemer direct hit on the head.
Old 22nd May 2008, 05:24 AM   #102
LoUie

and I'm not even sure where he wants colors. I thought he wanted colored names in the forums at first..
the thread is in "nightblade" so if i meant something soo silly as colors in your nickname on the forums id probably post it in "community chat". besides, i even wrote "when you press show scores" in the first post. im quite shocked that you could've missunderstood that i didnt mean night-blade at first.

Originally Posted by SPIDER: ( link to post ) 
Louie, I know you want the colored names really bad
haha no i dont want it badly i myself thinks its an unimportant option, just small thing for fun.. like i said, even if they would include it in NB im not even sure id use it.. i didnt in Quake3.. except for when i sometimes was aliasing maybe and used the color option for fun, but that wasnt often.. im just arguing cause some peoples point of views annoys me when they exaggerate so much about a small thing like this.

for the rest.. to share how i was thinking this color option should work was like in Quake3 (easy and simple). in Q3 you got like 8 different colors.
^1 = Red, ^2 = Green, ^3 = Yellow ^4 = Blue ^5 = Turquoise ^6 = Purple ^7 = White (Standard) ^8 = Black

so, whenever you want to color one or more letters you just type ^1Lou^7ie (Louie) or Lou^1i^7e (Louie)

after pressing ^1(letter) the ^1 will disappear and the colored letter will appear. thats how it works. so sure, if someone is ridiculos enough, they sit and type like "^1Ni^4ck^2na^6m^2e" but i dont think so.
Old 22nd May 2008, 06:02 AM   #103
Inq

It seemed like you were absolutely desperate to get it put into the game...but now it seems that you probably wouldn't even use it? I think that just about ends this discussion here, really. Since you were the only person really pushing for it, and as you've admitted you wouldn't bother with it, I just can't see a point.

It was just another one of those meaningless extras that don't add anything to the game, score screen or anything that no bugger uses after the first week novelty has worn off anyway.
Old 22nd May 2008, 06:03 AM   #104
-KewlAzMe-

besides, i even wrote "when you press show scores" in the first post. im quite shocked that you could've missunderstood that i didnt mean night-blade at first.
You will have forgive me. I do not wish to insult your grammar and spelling as I don't think it is fair for me to insult someone when english isn't their first language. But I usually have trouble following the flow of your paragraphs, especially when they are rather large.. so I'll be honest and say I usually just scan for keywords in your posts. I must have missed "show scores". Nothing personal.

As far as it being the NightBlade thread.. I usually read new posts by clicking the "New Posts" link at the top, so I follow posts from there, not from following the thread links themselves, so I rarely know what category I'm in until I figure it out from the context.
Old 22nd May 2008, 07:48 AM   #105
LoUie

Originally Posted by Inq: ( link to post ) 
It seemed like you were absolutely desperate to get it put into the game...but now it seems that you probably wouldn't even use it? I think that just about ends this discussion here, really. Since you were the only person really pushing for it, and as you've admitted you wouldn't bother with it, I just can't see a point.

It was just another one of those meaningless extras that don't add anything to the game, score screen or anything that no bugger uses after the first week novelty has worn off anyway.
well yeah.. dont get me completly wrong tho, i do WANT the option..but even tho i want it doesnt mean im personally gonna use it myself.... and if they added it, ofcourse i'll try it OUT sometime, but would probably use standard nickname most of the time. and since its just a small small little option is quite limited on how badly you could want it. so i think i'll live without it but would be fun if they added it tho.

KAM: well there you go. ok, i understand.
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:42 AM   #106
immortius

You know you can't actually set your name in UT3, because it is the same as your profile name?

There is a separate guild tag setting though, and I am considering allow it to be coloured from a selection of suitable colours. But it is a low priority so don't expect it any time soon.

I have other plans for the colours of player names anyway.
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:02 AM   #107
necros

UT3s binding with (gamespy is it?) accounts is just... borderline unacceptable. It's quite rediculous, because like i did on the bcg forums, made my name "necros" for casesensetive logging in and such, unaware i could add a capitol in later for my display name.

similarily, i made my name for UT3 modvd again for ease of logging in... epic mistake was epic.

/disapprove

oh, lulu ナルトのアニメを見るのかい?
Old 22nd May 2008, 10:07 AM   #108
immortius

Maybe I should implement an actual player name system in Nightblade. Dunno how many bits of UT3 I'ld have to poke to get it all working though.

You can have as many UT3 accounts as you want though, so it isn't all bad.
Old 22nd May 2008, 11:43 AM   #109
FatRatHead

Originally Posted by necros: ( link to post ) 
rediculous
oh, lulu ナルトのアニメを見るのかい?
Louieasis is spreading rapidly.

Quote:
Maybe I should implement an actual player name system in Nightblade. Dunno how many bits of UT3 I'ld have to poke to get it all working though.

You can have as many UT3 accounts as you want though, so it isn't all bad.
No damage done in that case.

+who added the pointless tag?!
Old 22nd May 2008, 08:40 PM   #110
TafferBoy

UT3 login system is fail.
Old 23rd May 2008, 12:16 AM   #111
Spidey

Well, I'm surprised. Louie, you argued so vehemently over the colored options I thought you really wanted more than one color. It looks like there will be some color options but hopefully not so colorful.

This rainbow topic is reaching me at work now. There's a section of pool inflatables and so forth and I noticed, to my horror, they have multi-colored lettering on all of them! We have to stop teh rainbow
before it spreads to other cities!

Inq, yeah I know English has been heavily influenced by German and French due to invasions and French being the courtly language of nobles. We Americans managed to destroy the King's English without any outside help. I'm sure if I were raised in England, I'd see Americans as speaking with an accent, but as it is, I couldn't say I speak with an accent.

Regarding 'soccer', I'm guessing we just had to make up another word to distinguish it from our 'football'. They're both sports involving a ball, so I won't watch.
Old 23rd May 2008, 02:45 AM   #112
Denny

Hilarious how a topic regarding colored names has more entries than a topic regarding gameplay - by far. Nice priorities.
Old 23rd May 2008, 06:59 AM   #113
TafferBoy

theres a lot more substance in the gameplay threads.
Old 23rd May 2008, 07:20 AM   #114
Machine

It's the old bike shed scenario, when somebody suggests something simple, everyone gets involved, but when discussing something complex like the AI everyone steps back, to scared to have any input because they see it as beyond them to contribute.

Colours in names add nothing to game play and as such IMHO should be tackled as a low priority if at all.
Old 23rd May 2008, 02:00 PM   #116
-KewlAzMe-

Gonna quote you properly Ghostly.. with the images showing... cuz that's tooo perfect to leave as a link:

priceless
Old 23rd May 2008, 04:26 PM   #117
LoUie

Originally Posted by Machine: ( link to post ) 
Colours in names add nothing to game play and as such IMHO should be tackled as a low priority if at all.
just a quick little rediculas suggestioN^ that would be fun

this is just small thing.
i agree 8)
Old 23rd May 2008, 05:51 PM   #118
Ghostly apparition

Gonna quote you properly Ghostly.. with the images showing... cuz that's tooo perfect to leave as a link:

priceless
well, I'm glad you liked it. Did it myself.
Old 24th May 2008, 06:53 AM   #119
LoUie

well, I'm glad you liked it. Did it myself.
the sad part is that i think he honestly didnt know that
Old 26th May 2008, 05:18 PM   #120
-KewlAzMe-

don't start louie.

Tags
baked, colour, pointless