X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dodger
    • Jan 2007

Greetings!... & audible voice binding??

Hey everyone, I just recently joined the Black Cat forums, but I have been playing the Thief series, UT '99, and Thievery off and on for a number of years now. I lost all sleep last night because I was reading much of the Thievery General Discusssion posts on here. Recently I have been setting up my new-ish laptop and of course I HAD to put UT '99 and Thievery on it, so I got REALLY into setting everything up on both systems to match for a smooth playing transition between Thievery, UT '99, my desktop, and my laptop. This way I can get my girlfriend in on the action too, rather than having it just be mostly me and my friend DuFarge, who you may have seen already on some servers occasionally over the past year or two.

While going through some of this forum, there were obviously numerous great suggestions for Thievery updates, as well as lots of rather amusing content. I really loved that Lego animation stuff, "Thief: the Brick Project." Though I only noticed one post with only samples of it. Was that ever completed? I did two years of traditional animation as part of my major in college, so I know how tedious stop-motion can be. I guess I am also partial to it because my girlfriend and I just got through playing both Lego StarWars games, and of course I HAD to build a thief character... Dark clothing, hood, cloak, weary face, chest-strap pouches for tools & Gear, and of course a crossbow. On that note, I have also made a thief-like skin of my own for play in UT '99 in case anyone wants to see.

...But enough about that. Apart from my introductions, my big question now is whether it is possible to bind Thievery's audible speech/voices to keys. In UT '99 you can of course just use the speech-bind button on the input tab within the preferences, then map your whole keyboard if you want. Of course this just puts in a bunch of "Speech # # #" binds after your chosen keys in the "User.ini" file. According to my logic, even though Thievery does not seem to have a GUI for speech-binding within the in-game menus, there SHOULD be a way to type in some code or wording in the "ThieveryUser.ini" file to bind speech to your desired keys. Unfortunately I have not figured out what that might be or if it is even possible. I would REALLY like to find out more about the possibility if anyone could offer some assistance.

Thanks!
    ...in the meantime I will just be taffin' around in the corner...
    waiting... quietly... patiently... in the dark. L8r.
  • Keggie
    • Aug 2005

hey there dodger

setting speech bind keys is easy

open ur console in game using the ' key or press tab - type "set input p thaunt 1" this will bind the key p with thtaunt 1. "set input j thaunt 0 1" will bind the key j with the "thief here" Speech

below is a quick list of taunts for thieves and guards with there bind name. There are more for the guards, but the ones listed are the main ones. the others are used for messing around imo so you dont need them bound while chasing a thief if you want the rest let me know and i will post them

thieves

thtaunt 0 "Something Missing?"
    thtaunt 1 "Like stealing candy from a baby"
    thtaunt 2 "This jewelery should fetch a good price"
    thtaunt 3 "May the shadows guide me"
    thtaunt 4 "To the rooftops"
    thtaunt 5 "You won't catch me"
    thtaunt 6 "I had to put your friends to sleep"
    thtaunt 7 "Looks like target practice"

Guards

thtaunt 0 1 "Thief spotted"
    thtaunt 1 1 "Thief here! I need assistence"
    thtaunt 2 1 "Any one got a repair tool?"
    thtaunt 3 1 "Follow me please"
    thtaunt 4 1 "He's outside, come with me"
    thtaunt 5 1 "He's inside tag along"
    thtaunt 6 1 "Yeah of course of course yeah"
    thtaunt 7 1 "Negative"

so pick the taunt you want and bind key and just alter them to suite what you want "set input j thaunt 0 1" is useful if your a guard

hope you found this useful anything else let us know

there are a few other ways of doing it but this way is easy to do and hassle free
    Last edited by Keggie; 28 Jan 2007, 01:15 PM.
    [E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
    Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
    AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
    Videos - YouTube

Comment

• FatRatHead
      • Sep 2004

Hey dude, yes I wondered where DuFarge has disappeared. Nice sig, hop on sometimes.

set input should be separate

Comment

• Keggie
        • Aug 2005

Originally posted by FatRatHead View Post
        set input should be separate
        argh! yes thats correct - i type "setname" so much i forget theres a gap with that one /edits first post
        Videos - YouTube

Comment

• FatRatHead
          • Sep 2004

Can use just 'name' instead.

Comment

• Dodger
            • Jan 2007

Keg,
            - That was INCREDIBLY helpful! You do not know how much I was going back and forth testing variations of "Z=Speech" in both the Console Key window and within the ThieveryUser.ini file. I actually was not aware you can set key binds in-game from the console key window by using that "set input" command/coding you mentioned. I just knew with UT '99 a person can use the console key to enact speech and gestures at that moment, but not actually bind them to keys in-game except through the GUI.

- Personally I prefer to bind keys manually within the User.ini and ThieveryUser.ini files anyhow, so knowing the "thaunt" coding is a big help. One thing, just to completely clarify for myself, "thtaunt" is NOT the coding to use in either the console key window or within the ThieveryUser.ini file correct? "thtaunt" is just the abbreviation people call "Thief Taunts", correct? In the "ThieveryUser.ini file I should be typing stuff like "thaunt 0 1" and such, right?

Comment

• Keggie
              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Dodger View Post
              Keg,
              - That was INCREDIBLY helpful! You do not know how much I was going back and forth testing variations of "Z=Speech" in both the Console Key window and within the ThieveryUser.ini file. I actually was not aware you can set key binds in-game from the console key window by using that "set input" command/coding you mentioned. I just knew with UT '99 a person can use the console key to enact speech and gestures at that moment, but not actually bind them to keys in-game except through the GUI.
              np glad i could help

Personally I prefer to bind keys manually within the User.ini and ThieveryUser.ini files anyhow, so knowing the "thaunt" coding is a big help. One thing, just to completely clarify for myself, "thtaunt" is NOT the coding to use in either the console key window or within the ThieveryUser.ini file correct? "thtaunt" is just the abbreviation people call "Thief Taunts", correct? In the "ThieveryUser.ini file I should be typing stuff like "thaunt 0 1" and such, right?
              not sure - i use thtaunt, so that certainly works - altho thaunt might work, iv never tryed it. but to show u mine as an example my ThieveryUserIni has a "NumPad2=thtaunt 14" just use thtaunt to be on the safe side altho the other way may work

edit -- btw you can use speah binds if you want, but for the thief here bind i suggest you make a "thief here Whisper" rather then the voice, this is so you can call for back up before the thief realises you know his there, using the taunt makes him immedenlty know youve seen him, few extra seconds can help a lot in this game but to do that.. type i think "set input g whisper Thief Here" note - whisper not shout so only your teammates hear you in thieveryUser.ini i think it would be... "G=whisper Thief Here"
              Last edited by Keggie; 28 Jan 2007, 08:49 PM.
              Videos - YouTube

Comment

• Dodger
                • Jan 2007

FatRatHead,
                - Dufarge is a good friend of mine here in New York. He and I occasionally play on a server I set up for private use when we both have cooinciding free time to kill.

- What did you mean by "Nice sig, hop on sometimes." Did you mean you liked my SIGnature, as in my animated avatar? And by hop one do you mean continue to post in these forums or perhaps join a particular Thievery gaming server?

Keg,
                - I only thought the coding for Thievery speech was "thaunt" because you consistently used it when quoting the "set input"... wording. I probably would have figured it out soon enough, but setting it straight certainly will save me some more hassle. Thanks again.

Comment

• Keggie
                  • Aug 2005

Keg,
                  - I only thought the coding for Thievery speech was "thaunt" because you consistently used it when quoting the "set input"... wording. I probably would have figured it out soon enough, but setting it straight certainly will save me some more hassle. Thanks again.
                  i typed it wrong in the first one and copy'ed paste'ed for the rest my bad
                  Videos - YouTube

Comment

Working...
                  X