Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion

Old 7th Oct 2006, 12:21 PM   #1
Kyle_K_ski

How to use mutators?

Hello All,

It's been a very long time since I last posted a request for help. My schedule's pretty overwhelming right now, but after several months of not playing Thievery, I decided this week to finally play an offline game or two. I came back to these forums and read a posting regarding Brody's Th-Custom Map Pack. I downloaded it and instantly fell in love with a couple of the new maps I've tried, particularly Th-Cult.

There is one particular aspect of said download that's really frustrating me, and after conducting a rather thorough yet unsuccessful search of these forums I'm hoping someone can give me a detailed walkthrough on how to get the mutators to work that came in the Map Pack.

Just so it's known, I did try to activate the mutators through the in-game "Mod" menu. When I highlighted the "Thievery Mod Config" listing, and then released my mouse button, nothing happened, when I was expecting another new menu to then pop open.

My search for help on this matter has also led to a point of confusion for me in regards to how mutators work in Thievery. I remember reading that for the Zombie mod, one had to add it to Theivery's .exe's command line. Do all mutators work like this, or just a portion of them? Any detailed feedback regarding this point would be generously welcomed.

I'm very eager to try out the loads of new equipment that came in Brody's Custom Map Pack, so any detailed assistance on this matter would be GREATLY appreciated.

Yours!

Kyle
Oct. 7, 2006

Kyle_K_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2006, 12:52 PM   #2
Sneaky

As far as I know, mutator support is disabled in single player mode. There used to be a mutator button for single player many versions ago but was taken out recently. The only way I know how to run mutators is to click on "Multiplayer" -> "Start new multiplayer game". Then there is a mutator button where you can add mutators. Assuming you have some sort of firewall nobody else would be able to join your server and it would be exactly like single player but with mutator support.

I've never heard of adding mutators to the .exe command line unless you are talking about a server's batch file. The mutators are added to the "Server Packages" section of thaux.ini if you were running a server for others to play on. They are also listed in the ThieveryServer.bat file if running a server.
Sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2006, 12:54 PM   #3
Keggie

Originally Posted by Sneaky: ( link to post ) 
The only way I know how to run mutators is to click on "Multiplayer" -> "Start new multiplayer game". Then there is a mutator button where you can add mutators. Assuming you have some sort of firewall nobody else would be able to join your server and it would be exactly like single player but with mutator support.
id agree with that as thats how iv managed to get it to work - also set yourself a password so even if people can see it they carnt join if you wish to play sp
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Oct 2006, 11:00 PM   #4
Kyle_K_ski

Thank you all for your kind help! The mutators are available if one chooses to setup a multiplayer server. I played my game offline (and thus "singleplayer") by making it private by not announcing its presence.

The new mutators are intriguing. It's way too early to tell whether or not they're overpowered, and sadly, with my time at a premium it may take quite a while before I can come to such a decision.

But boy am I happy that I'm able to test them out, whenever I can.

The Zombie mutator works through the in-game menu system as well. Too bad that they're all wearing modern clothing for Thievery's aesthetics.

Again all, thank you!

Yours,

Kyle
Oct. 7, 2006

Kyle_K_ski is offline   Reply With Quote