Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 6th Mar 2008, 06:38 AM   #1
Spidey

Installing Nightblade

Okay, I've lost enough sleep for now. May I buy a vowel?

I have UT3 installed and patched to 1.2 and I have unzipped the Nightblade update files to the UTGame directory. The read me doesn't tell you where all these files are supposed to go, so at this point I'm guessing.

I assume that all the files that unzip under the Cooked PC folder should get pasted into the Cooked PC folder and so on. I've used the Nightblade Launcher but can't get anything other than regular UT3 play. I think I have all the files in the right spot but am probably not supposed to point Nightblade Launcher at the ut3.exe. An Open dialogue box start when I first fire this program and asks for a file name of type UT3engine ini type. It does create a Nightblade config file once I point it at ut3.exe

What am I doing wrong here? (I probably won't be able to respond to this thread until late tomorrow.)
Old 6th Mar 2008, 07:16 AM   #2
immortius

Nightblade doesn't have its own menu at this time - after the launcher launches UT3 select Instant Action->ThieveryUT3. If you unzip Nightblade into the UTGame directory then the files should be in the correct place at that point.
Old 6th Mar 2008, 07:46 AM   #3
Dalai
Project Lead

Yeah, you shouldn't need to be pasting anything anywhere. Just extract it to the UTGame folder like the readme says, and you're good.
Old 6th Mar 2008, 11:57 AM   #4
HawK047

When in the future it might have a launcher, will it still require you to open the UTengine.ini file? Ive searched for this file, but i cant find it anywhere! (Not even in the UTgame/config folder O_o.)
Old 6th Mar 2008, 12:22 PM   #5
-KewlAzMe-

Originally Posted by HawK047: ( link to post ) 
When in the future it might have a launcher, will it still require you to open the UTengine.ini file? Ive searched for this file, but i cant find it anywhere! (Not even in the UTgame/config folder O_o.)
Be sure you understand the new UE3 structure... You no longer put anything into the game directory. Everything goes into your My Documents\My Games folder:

UTEngine.ini is a highly required file and is certainly there:

Code:
X:\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config\UTEngine.ini
But you shouldn't have to edit anything if you run the NBLauncher.exe file
Old 6th Mar 2008, 01:32 PM   #6
Athelstone

Unreal Tournament 3 has to be loaded at least once before the Nightlblade launcher thingy will be capable of automatically finding that UT3engine .ini (this confused me a bit aswell actually)
Old 6th Mar 2008, 01:56 PM   #7
HawK047

Oh, i know how to play the NB alpha It just took me like 10 minutes i had to start up UT3 for it.
Found the UTengine.ini btw, thanks for the help
Old 6th Mar 2008, 03:30 PM   #8
immortius

Originally Posted by HawK047: ( link to post ) 
Yes, probably. Might be able to get rid of that functionality of Epic add a system to support TC mods.

I guess I'll have to see what can be done in the case when people don't have a UTEngine.ini yet because they haven't run UT3 yet.
Old 6th Mar 2008, 03:32 PM   #9
-KewlAzMe-

Originally Posted by Athelstone: ( link to post ) 
Unreal Tournament 3 has to be loaded at least once before the Nightlblade launcher thingy will be capable of automatically finding that UT3engine .ini (this confused me a bit aswell actually)

Ahh yea good point.
Old 7th Mar 2008, 04:02 AM   #10
Spidey

Okay, I just wasn't looking in the right spot for the ThieveryUT3 thing I guess. I *was* expecting some new splash screen like the old ThieveryUT screen. I probably need to re-install Nightblade and do it right though, because it wasn't seeing the Darkened Enlightenment map. So I did the unthinkable: I copied and pasted the three files in the Custom Maps folders to their respective homes within UT3. That did the trick, even though UT3 complained about "ambigous files" and told me which ones it was using (same files, different locations).

I know I've installed mine wrong. I extracted it all to the UTGame directory, not the My Documents stuff. I don't like hunting through 5 layers of folders to find something I just extracted.

I assume then that the Nightblade launcher file should be pointed to ut3.exe then??? It's certainly not clear from the dialogue box.

(I know it's important to be smarter than the material you're working with, and I certainly failed in that respect. I had an easier time installing the DVD drive than I did Nightblade. Thanks for the help on the install guys.)