Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 12th May 2008, 11:57 PM   #1
Kyben

Dynamic Shadows

Hey guys,
Great mod, we got it working and played some. Afew weird things going on, but it was much more impressive than I was expecting and quite an enjoyable play.

I was wondering if I could ask you something however. After launching Nightblade, I did some testing on my mod and noticed that my flashlight is now casting dynamic stencil shadows. I had someone else who's never played NB to change the UTEngine.ini settings you mentioned in your readme, and it didn't work. My thought was that they turned off stencil shadows and motion blur in UT3 for whatever reason, and changing .ini's does nothing to enable it.

I had been trying to turn on stencil shadows myself but with no luck. Though my flashlight now looks kickass, I'm alittle worried what other settings you might of changed. Anyways, I was wondering if you could help me out and tell me how you enabled it exactly? Usually I wouldn't ask, but its odd since I now have it, but no one else does until they download your mod.

I played around and everything else seems normal, but with no word on how to set up a TC exactly, conflicts or changes between mods are bound to happen.

Thank you for any info you can provide, and good luck with NB.
Old 13th May 2008, 01:48 AM   #2
Denny

It hasn't been turned off. You only need to add a light of the right type that forces dynamic shadows, there's nothing else to it. (and of course making meshes cast shadows) That's at least what I've noticed with UT3.
Old 13th May 2008, 03:40 AM   #3
Dalai
Project Lead

Check out the Nightblade readme file. I'm pretty sure it lists the .ini changes made when you run the Nightblade launcher.
Old 13th May 2008, 04:44 AM   #4
immortius

Nightblade Launcher is set to activate and enhance the Dynamic Light settings. It creates a backup of the ini file when it does so (you should have a UTEngine.ini.bak in your Config directory). So at worst a diff should reveal what was changed

I actually found some other settings that needed changing since I wrote the readme:

Code:
[Engine.GameEngine]
AllowShadowVolumes=True
ShadowVolumeLightRadiusThreshold=24
ShadowVolumePrimitiveScreenSpacePercentageThreshold=0.0
The launcher also makes an addition to UTGame.ini, although the mod will also make the change - a simple addition of Nightblade keybinds to the datastore. Unfortunately unless the game loads with the settings then trying to edit Nightblade's keybinds crashes UT3.

I am looking forward to an actual TC framework so we can stop messing around with people's inis like this.
Old 13th May 2008, 04:22 PM   #5
Kyben

So there were no changes anywhere else to enable the stencil shadows other than the UTEngine.ini settings that were stated in the readme? Like I said, I had a friend change those same settings in his .ini, and it didn't work. Very odd...

Very thoughtful that you made backups of .ini's. I'm gunna mess around abit today, see if I can pinpoint exactly whats doing it.
Old 13th May 2008, 05:10 PM   #6
immortius

Originally Posted by immortius: ( link to post ) 
I actually found some other settings that needed changing since I wrote the readme:

Code:
[Engine.GameEngine]
AllowShadowVolumes=True
ShadowVolumeLightRadiusThreshold=24
ShadowVolumePrimitiveScreenSpacePercentageThreshold=0.0
^ That isn't in the readme.
Old 13th May 2008, 06:13 PM   #7
Kyben

Oh, my bad. I didn't see that that was in GameEngine. I got it working, with my old .ini. Thanks for your trouble, I won't bother you anymore .