Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Discussion

Notices

Old 1st Jun 2004, 01:37 PM   #1
Erasmus Darwin

Hacking Tool Suggestion/Tweak

As it currently stands, the hacking tool only speeds up a tech's hacks and allows a non-tech to hack at level 1. This makes it mostly worthless as long as you've got someone to watch the tech's back when they're hacking, and as long as you aren't planning on letting the tech die.

To make the hacking tool more worthwhile, how about making it add +1 to the tech's skill level? That'd make it equivalent to a temporary star in tech, which still makes it a bit weaker than a medkit (which is worth more than a temporary star in health) or a flashlight (which is worth more than a temporary star in accuracy). So there's still a definite trade-off to taking the hacking tool, but it would be more useful.

Anyway, I think this would be ideal for something like joining a campaign that's already going where they're about to embark on Ao-Rescue (requiring level 2 tech) but where no one has bothered to beef up Flynn or Crash. This would also work well in tandem with the new feature that will bring back KIA marines as level 1.

Oh, and the hacking tool should also disable FF, triple the amount of ammo in sentry guns, and protect against parasites. (Sorry. Couldn't resist with all the controversy going on.)
Erasmus Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2004, 01:47 PM   #2
JenoLT

Originally Posted by Erasmus Darwin:
Oh, and the hacking tool should also disable FF, triple the amount of ammo in sentry guns, and protect against parasites. (Sorry. Couldn't resist with all the controversy going on.)
That sounds balanced... i like that idea

Nah, increasing the hackerskill of a tech would be worth it.
JenoLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2004, 01:52 PM   #3
Bob

The hacking tool can be useful in areas where you have to hack something while an unending wave of aliens is attacking you. I always take a hacking tool when doing that one mission that has your team split up for that reason. Really about the only extra other than a hacking tool my tech marine takes is combat drugs or a welder (if nobody else has one) so as long as your team is good, you really don't have much other than a hacking tool to take.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote