Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Discussion

Notices

Old 31st May 2004, 07:03 PM   #31
DusKer
Mapper

Campaign mode is the hardest way to play AS in multiplayer. If you aren't with a team of experienced players, it's going to be a rough ride.

We could dumb it down, we could make it forgiving, but then it rapidly becomes less rewarding, less intense, and ultimately, bland.

Single missions are far more forgiving and frankly offer more rewards in terms of unlockables and variations.

Campaign is for the hardcore. The people who think they have what it takes. People like that don't need second chances.
Old 31st May 2004, 07:08 PM   #32
Anarki3x6

thats why you gotta get a group of friends to do the campaign with, its really rewarding and makes the mod own 10x more.
Anarki3x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2004, 08:09 PM   #33
Killing

Talking

Indeed dont change campaign mode. switchable options to tweak it maybe but as it stands it has that tension. Its hard and its ment to be otherwise it would be boring.
Killing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2004, 11:28 PM   #34
Knub

Originally Posted by DusKer:
Campaign mode is the hardest way to play AS in multiplayer. If you aren't with a team of experienced players, it's going to be a rough ride.

We could dumb it down, we could make it forgiving, but then it rapidly becomes less rewarding, less intense, and ultimately, bland.

Single missions are far more forgiving and frankly offer more rewards in terms of unlockables and variations.

Campaign is for the hardcore. The people who think they have what it takes. People like that don't need second chances.
i totally agree! :O
if you cant live with K.I.A you should play singe missions :/
Knub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2004, 11:42 PM   #35
TafferBoy

Originally Posted by DarkLurker:
You'll see how EASILY your bots clear the place with flamethrowers
Does that actually work? Bots seem pretty hopeless with the FT as they don't move backwards as they fire it, so the burning aliens can run up to them and do some damage before they die. They would also chew through the ammo, the reason why the FT is good, is because its efficient, set an alien on fire and it will die eventually, bots just keep flaming them till they die.
TafferBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2004, 03:30 PM   #36
Gogge

Make FF/whatever an obscure option in some .ini-file so that casual server admins won't enable it but so that the more motivated people could enable the options if they wanted it to, or disable it on the easier skill levels

or

It would be nice with a "tutorial" campaign to ease new players into the game, playing single missions sucks (IMHO) and the campaign part is way more "fun".. but as I said, it's a bit hard for newbies as the learning curve might be a wee bit too hard.

The Idea of the campaign being for hardcore players is nice, I guess it's rather challenging at the "Insane" skill level
Gogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2004, 03:34 PM   #37
Brent Rivienne

Originally Posted by TafferBoy - regarding bots being great with flamethrowers:
Does that actually work? Bots seem pretty hopeless with the FT as they don't move backwards as they fire it, so the burning aliens can run up to them and do some damage before they die. They would also chew through the ammo, the reason why the FT is good, is because its efficient, set an alien on fire and it will die eventually, bots just keep flaming them till they die.
Well, in my random testing over the last couple of days I tried this, I armed each of my marines with a pair of flamethrowers and walked them through a couple of levels, not once did I get burnt despite flames flying past me and everything died extremely quickly, I had to put in practically no effort at all.

If this is what a FF off server holds then I despair for the game.

-addition-

The best suggestion I can think of is reverse damage, wherein any damage you do to a player deals it to -you- instead, including flamethrowers (wherein you would be set on fire yourself). Unrealistic yes... but only slightly more so than no friendly fire at all.
The exception I believe would be fire mines, the player walking through those should take the damage themselves.

Last edited by Brent Rivienne; 1st Jun 2004 at 03:53 PM.
Brent Rivienne is offline   Reply With Quote