Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Discussion

Notices

Old 30th May 2004, 02:24 PM   #31
JRock

A few more good posts of suggestions are here:
http://www.blackcatgames.com/forums/...7276#post87276
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2004, 02:53 PM   #32
Hybrid

Hold on, I got it. Campaigns should have options preset by the server creator, or set permanently before beginning of the mission by the leader. Three options,

Difficulty: Easy, Normal, Hard, Insane
Wounded marines must rest: Yes\No
Wimpy Mode (Marines are not killed, but rather seriously injured and must rest a mission if "killed," regardless of previous option): Yes\No.

Not extremely realistic, since parasite deaths and some guns gib, and you're leaving the poor guy behind, but it's an option that would make chaotic online play (The most prevalent kind, frankly) easier, especially since a few more players will join every day. I'd hope to see a seperation of newbie servers with Easy and Wimpy Mode on, and then some expert servers on Hard, is the idea here.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2004, 03:42 PM   #33
JRock

Well you missed the entire point - having the marines available for the next mission - by saying they have to sit out the next mission.

And you can call it whatever insulting name you wish, as long as it works we don't care.
JRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2004, 03:46 PM   #34
Hybrid

Not the next mission, the missions after, so you need to be careful, but it's not a permanent loss; only temporary.

It's a insulting name, but a serious suggestion, if that's what you're thinking.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2004, 01:42 AM   #35
Phil

Originally Posted by Chainsaws:
Formations - they can't really work. A lot of places are too crowded for them so they either don't work or marines get stuck in corners etc. etc. It's just a case of using different tactics in SP than you do in MP.
Actually, I totally disagree. Those situations you describe where it's just too small and the bots get bunched up would be the perfect time for a "stack" or single file line formation. On numerous occaisions in SP have I gone through a vent system or even a narrow passage only to find that two of my marines are gridlocked in a doorway and I have to then do the tedious process of guiding them in one by one...and then sometimes backing them out if my marine isn't first in the lineup.

An ordered formation would be perfect for this problem.

And again, there are also plenty of situations where it's relatively open and a dimensional formation would be suited, or on Rescue for example when you are waiting for the elevator to drop, you can form a wall of marines facing in a specified direction to be most efficent. It all depends on the situation, and there really isn't any scenario where a proper formation would be a problem.
Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2004, 11:39 AM   #36
Vladi321

i think thatthe shot guns should look different than the assault rifles. if you pay attention when you press fire with a shotgun it starts firing like an assault rifle and if you look closely it is in assault rifle but just different shooting pattern. i think they should change the shotguns to look lik flak cannons.
Vladi321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2004, 12:36 AM   #37
Xepo

I think, overall, they need to be pretty careful with making any of these changes. The game play rocks so hard right now, any of these changes could completely upset the balance. especially the newer weapon type stuff, it's too easy to go over the top. Also, the med packs are plenty at five each, if you're using more then you need to practice more. And the sentries are plenty too. You take a sentry with you if there's one area that has tons of bugs, and leave it there. If they do make it so you can undeploy the sentries, then it needs to take a much longer time to set up.

I think what needs to be concentrated on right now is more missions, more level features (like the lasers, or the flaming crates, or the other neato stuff that you have to learn to use right on the mission itself). However, if the level features were any more often, then they'd just get annoying. so, more missions, and preferably some with level-specific features.

I don't think changes to the possible selections are really necessary, though, I think it would be cool to release some missions with some special guns sitting on a shelf, with some limited ammo. That way, even if the guns would be over powering, or whatever, it's only temporary, and only for that one mission.

I also think that the whole problem with the bots could be solved with slightly better AI, and some way point mechanism. As in, if you're running around and hit a button to set a way point, the bots that are following you will be sure to run over that way point before they continue following you. And then it's all about a very small learning curve of how the AI acts, so you know where to set the way points so they don't get hung up and stuff. The slightly better AI is to keep them from clumping up.

I do think something needs to be done about the campaigns in multiplayer...putting a person out permanently sucks, but I'm not sure what would be better. Maybe something where, if a player dies, then that IP address can't join in on the next mission, but the marine is still available (or out temporarily). But after that next mission, it's all good. I think some functionality to keep players from stealing other players' marines would be in order as well.

By the way, before you comment on the strategies you could employ with the bots and stuff, make sure you've played through the game, at least on easy. Only controlling one at a time works out pretty well for almost every situation once you get used to it. The way it's set up now, the bots are extremely predictable. And that's a *good* thing, which might change if you start adding more stuff to them.
Xepo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Jun 2004, 04:43 AM   #38
Zirker

I agree with the idea of "Wimpy Mode" entirely. I don't like playing AO-ReactorCore 6 times with n00bs because they keep setting me on fire.

I'd state how much I love the game, but the reviews, and the game itself already proves my point.

My small suggestions:
Shotgun: A larger clipsize wouldn't hurt, and although it was meant as a balance issue (no shottie rush), a clipsize of, say, 6 (same as BF:V's Mossberg) combined with a slower fire rate would assist immensely.
Autogun: 50 extra rounds per clip (300 round drums). Doesn't sound like much, but it helps.
Flashlight: It'd be nice to have the small flashlight on everyone's armor. Stumbling around in pitch black isn't really fun. Especially with those blasted parasites skittering around.
Equipment: Why can't we have extra equipment take up main equipment slots? Sort of like having a Rifle, Mines, and a Welder, instead of carrying another weapon, or ammo bag into battle?

Grenades: Hand grenades would be nice as an extra equipment feature. The person could carry 3-5 grenades on a bandoleir, and huck 'em with the special key. Different types (napalm, shrapnel, concussive, stun) could be implemented easily, and they'd be almost like the assault rifle grenades. The only difference would be amplified power.
Blast Charges: I'd like to see the Demo expert get something a slight bit better than a dinky mine/shotgun combo. These charges could be used on doors, or just set in the middle of the corridor to kill enemies. They'd be used as a main weapon (with 7-8 charges). Once placed, next time you hit the fire key, they go off. Also, if someone sets the demoman on fire, everyone around him dies as bits of him rip apart, as he explodes (probably even more so than an Ammo Bag).
Weapons:
Sub-machinegun: "Extra" equipment? The disadvantage would be something along the lines of a 15 round clip, and only 3-5 clips. The whole clip would be gone in less than 5 seconds, too. Also, piss-poor accuracy would hinder it. The advantage would be a clear-cut winner in close quarters (sort of like a less-effective shotgun). Probably easily beaten by dual pistols, but more effective than a pistol (you'd be stuck with a pissant pistol if you're trying to get the gunfighter badge )
AP Bullets: As an extra equipment (go figure), you get an unstated extra star or two for marksmanship. Sort of like a constant damage amplifier with a scale of 1.3-1.7. The only disadvantage this would have, would be no extra item. Likewise, you could use "Adrenals" for movement, or "Amphets" for health.

Those are my suggestions. None are required for a more fun game, just a more "interesting" game.
Zirker is offline   Reply With Quote