Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 6th May 2005, 03:45 AM   #1
modetwo
Webmaster

Red face Project Entropia - a real cash MMORPG

Has anyone heard of or tried the game Project Entropia?

I just read about it. Apparently it is a MMORPG with real cash economy, where 10 PED (in-game currency) = 1 US$. It is a Swedish project that has been developed since 1995, and has a total of 247,300 members.

To buy equipment, weapons (and probably skills etc), you have to transfer real money into your in-game account. You can buy, sell and trade objects, and even property. Apparently, an Australian bought a whole in-game Island for $30,000, and with that he got hunting rights, mining rights, and the ability to demand taxes from other people living there. Crazy.

The game developers themselves don't earn any money on the players buying/selling/trading equipment and weapons - however, they do earn money when a player needs to fix/repair the equipment.

The starting weapons are cheap - however, if you want some of the most powerfull/epiq ones, they'll cost you ~$10,000. And instead of transferring real money into the game, you can go around grinding monsters, which you then can loot for 60-70 PED.

This gives the selling of in-game material on eBay a whole new meaning, doesn't it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg project1.jpg (11.5 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg project2.jpg (11.8 KB, 45 views)
modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 03:54 AM   #2
beast

That'll be $1600.00 for your Bastard Sword of Flames +5,

is that have here or take-away?
Old 6th May 2005, 04:01 AM   #3
-=V12US=-

A friend of mine plays that, and he claims it's great fun. Personally, I feel that once large quantities of money are involved in a MMORPG (aside from the 'once a month' payment) it becomes more of a job, as your end goal is to earn lots of cash, instead of having fun.
-=V12US=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 04:05 AM   #4
modetwo
Webmaster

Do you know if he can withdraw the in-game money and spend them in real-life?
modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 04:18 AM   #5
TafferBoy

Originally Posted by Project Entropia Website:
Deposits and Withdrawals
In need of cash? Convert your real life money into Project Entropia Dollars. It's fast, easy and secure. You can also convert those PEDs back into real life cash!
I'm not keen on the idea at all. :S
TafferBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 04:23 AM   #6
Hybrid

Is this a "Changed my mind, don't want to deposit, give me my money back" or "Make cash by killing monsters and collecting taxes from citizens of your island" ?
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 05:52 AM   #7
Meta

...Dude, thatīs just too old, iīv been playing it since it came out on net =) But the money system sucks if you dont deposit.
Meta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 07:55 AM   #8
Barbazu

I played this game couple years ago
Well it dont have monthly cost but...
I deposited 10$ =(thats 100 Proj ent $)
It isnt too great but isnt bad either.If you want to try 10 - 20$ is fully enaugh to try it. Starting equipment is prety cheap just some 5 ped for basic wepon and some 20 for prety good starting armor. But you must buy ammo which in most cases will cost you more than stuff you loot from mob. So sooner or later you will run dry and will have to deposit again or try to earn mony by trading stuff.
Actualy they mindark made way for new players to get some cash without deposting but its prety limited.
When i first played it LAG was horiible but when i tried half a year ago again lag was ok. The game iitself is like first person shooter but bad thing is that you will miss much due to lag. I heard they made new targeting system in one patch but i havnt tried it.

Well here is some + and - of game
+
Dont have monthly cost
stuff u buy from terminal cost same when u sell
It have one global world not shards like most mmorpg

-
It basicaly cost more than regular mmorpg if you play much and every day
Vets have damn big advantage over noobs.They have stuff which dont fall out of mobs anymore or fall once per year or so. Like best medkits and armor.They make vets almost invincible. And that stuff becomes more expensive with each new owner. Like best medkit now cost about 7000 USD best weapons 2000 USD
Newer tried myself but i heard support sucks
U cant fully relax knowing that each missed shot cost you.
Game have tons of beggars and scamers.

Quote:
Do you know if he can withdraw the in-game money and spend them in real-life?
There is option to withdraw with some % loss but main problem (as far as i have readed in forums) is that withdrawing is much harder and longer than depositing. U can deposit your bucks for like 10 min but to get out it sometimes takes many months, because they check if your mony is clear (not gained with exploits I.E) and check bank info.But most ppl use paypal to sell mony to other players.

Last edited by Barbazu; 6th May 2005 at 03:19 PM.
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2005, 05:52 PM   #9
Vermillion

So... there are people that choose to spend $7000.00 US on (get this) pictures of fake things that have no physcial or significant psychological worth...

I could live for a year off that much change. Idiots... or rich idiots probably.
Old 7th May 2005, 01:22 PM   #10
Bulletstopper

lol, i would never touch that game, i would be too scared of getting addicted...
Old 7th May 2005, 06:38 PM   #11
Barbazu

Originally Posted by Vermillion:
So... there are people that choose to spend $7000.00 US on (get this) pictures of fake things that have no physcial or significant psychological worth...

I could live for a year off that much change. Idiots... or rich idiots probably.
Tough i wouldnt ever spend that kind of mony on virtual stuff i must disagree that they are idiot,
First they can always sell that stuff and get mony back or even greater amount of it. Of course they can lose too but its gamble just like buying and selling stock(which isnt anywhere else than paper too)
Second those guys who buy that expensive stuff Have bigger chance to get profit from game since their expanses/profit rating will be bit higher than those who dont have that stuff.

P.s I in no way sugest anyone to play that game with depositing large amounts of mony
Barbazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Aug 2005, 03:57 PM   #12
DarkLord75

*Casts Revive on the thread* i wanted to dish out my opinion. Do you know that there are people that live on this game? Its true! They dont work, at the end of the month they exchange most of their PED's back to real money. I would alos like to leave this note: it is not impossible to live in this mmoprg withouth paying a cent. It just gets tougher. Agreed, it is not an idiotic thing to do, invest on games. If i sell you all my games collection ill be able to pay college.

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering
DarkLord75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 08:11 PM   #13
Garlisk

Originally Posted by Vermillion:
I lived off idiots like that for...6 years. I played the Asheron's Call MMORPG proffesionally and sold items on ebay as a living.
Garlisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 09:05 PM   #14
Schleicher

Hmpf all this "real cash gets transformed into some diffuse form of online currency" business is suspicious to me. I mean some Pimple-Ass Hacker just could take away your money with the press of a button. Sure, most transfers today arent done with real money anyway either, but still, those are Banks and stuff and not some Game Corporation or whatever that is.

30.000 $ ?

That would buy a TV, visits to the Brothel, Booze, Games, a PC, probably a Car, Car license if needed, some real good coffee (roasted above wood not with petroleum, hmmmm) and thousand other really expensive things (but not Cuban Cigars. I hate smokers and the sooner you all die coughing out your pitchblack charred lungs the better) i cant think of at the moment id have here in reality. But WOOO i have an isle which dont exist and can feel high and mighty commandeering around idiots .

That merry buyin and sellin doesnt seem to court-proof either. Smells like scam-o-rama, but i just browsed that site very sloppily (2 seconds) so anybody more wizzened with this stuff please proof me wrong if you care

Bah, none of my business. Now excuse me i have to bury my money somewhere secret. Its all coins too, that fancy crap paper money isnt safe either.
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Aug 2005, 11:10 PM   #15
Firetiger

Originally Posted by DarkLord75:
*Casts Revive on the thread* i wanted to dish out my opinion. Do you know that there are people that live on this game? Its true! They dont work, at the end of the month they exchange most of their PED's back to real money. I would alos like to leave this note: it is not impossible to live in this mmoprg withouth paying a cent. It just gets tougher. Agreed, it is not an idiotic thing to do, invest on games. If i sell you all my games collection ill be able to pay college.
Just wait until something goes wrong with their computer.
Old 19th Aug 2005, 03:34 AM   #16
DeepQantas
Tester

Originally Posted by Schleicher:
(but not Cuban Cigars. I hate smokers and the sooner you all die coughing out your pitchblack charred lungs the better)
I'm working on it, ok?