Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion

Old 10th Jun 2011, 08:54 AM   #61
NeuroFunkeR

Originally Posted by FatRatHead: ( link to post ) 
I mean you failing to bring a single player online?

If you want to argue that you have, then prove it, that ought to take care of any visitors who disappeared after first entry.

instead of posting useless comments, you could help WTafa with his task, isn't it?
NeuroFunkeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 09:26 AM   #62
WTaFa
Banned

Originally Posted by NeuroFunkeR: ( link to post ) 
instead of posting useless comments, you could help WTafa with his task, isn't it?
thanx, bro, but I don't know good enough what to do
WTaFa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 02:24 PM   #63
FatRatHead

I tried to, you didn't though. And so you remain THE blabbermouth, just craptalking.

And WTaFa, I was about to say that the ProMod tried just that and I supported and still support its penetration into active servers. It will help somewhat. The side effect being that it gets even experienced players back into learning phase although with a much gentler learning curve.
FatRatHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 03:13 PM   #64
WTaFa
Banned

Total agreed Yes indeed, isn't it
Old 10th Jun 2011, 05:08 PM   #65
Sandman

i know its really hard to do but thievery needs a new engine. ppl who dont know tut ask theirselfs why should i play such a crappy looking game. there a mass of much better looking games out there.
the point is: if they have played tut once, most of them will continue playing. so the art is to get them playing for the first time.

night blade was on a good way, but for some reasons they have stopped working on it.

i have seen a method on this forums to export tut to the ut2k4 engine. if this works perfectly for everyone (easy install without bugs etc), tut will be on stage again.
Old 10th Jun 2011, 09:17 PM   #66
Asaltec..SaitoNai

ut99 geometry (bsp) can be exported to ut2k4 easily. It just doesn't take any textures with it, it needs to be rescaled, it needs the movers and the particles and the lights and the scripts and the spawns and.....geometry is a good start.
and from ut2k4 it can be exported to UT3...
Asaltec..SaitoNai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:43 PM   #67
immortius

Originally Posted by Asaltec..SaitoNai: ( link to post ) 
ut99 geometry (bsp) can be exported to ut2k4 easily. It just doesn't take any textures with it, it needs to be rescaled, it needs the movers and the particles and the lights and the scripts and the spawns and.....geometry is a good start.
and from ut2k4 it can be exported to UT3...
I did actually write a program to convert from maps from UT99 -> UT3, and with a bit of effort the textures, lights and objects can be converted across too. UT3 can't cope with the BSP complexity of some of the thievery levels though.
Old 11th Jun 2011, 05:34 AM   #68
WTaFa
Banned

Originally Posted by Sandman: ( link to post ) 
ppl who dont know tut ask theirselfs why should i play such a crappy looking game. there a mass of much better looking games out there.
the point is: if they have played tut once, most of them will continue playing. so the art is to get them playing for the first time.
1. Where potential newbies can see crappiness of thievery?
2. They can start play thievery cos its a:
a) THIEF style (that's means thievery is from MEDIEVAL ages also; weapons is for CLOSE COMBAT)
b) MULTIPLAYER (playing vs TEAM of humans, not stupid bots - like in normal TACTICAL shooter)
the point is: only thievery has such gameplay
so I showed them gameplay just by video channel and enhanced graphics for thievery (bloom&bumb) in addition
1. during watching video player can't see that graphic isn't good
2. during first multiplayer games player haven't enough time to say :ble too
imo graphics isn't so big problem - guys from Unreal Playground didn't blame thievery graphics for example
the biggest problem as I said earlier is that official site doesn't help our community as he can
in other words thieveryut.com is NOT site about MULTIPLAYER game - he don't show us, don't show newbies our community instantly, at the first visit

P.S. you can check again thievery topic at Unreal Playground -
ut99 community can be thin nowadays as thievery community, am I right?

I posted today the same topic on www.ttlg.com and on forums.eidosgames.com. Feel free to support by advices and comments gamers from that sites (after theirs replies ofc - so let's be patient).

Last edited by WTaFa; 11th Jun 2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11th Jun 2011, 02:22 PM   #69
Asaltec..SaitoNai

Originally Posted by immortius: ( link to post ) 
I did actually write a program to convert from maps from UT99 -> UT3, and with a bit of effort the textures, lights and objects can be converted across too. UT3 can't cope with the BSP complexity of some of the thievery levels though.
Impressive! I'm sort of suprised UT3 doesn't handle BSP well...but then again everything is static meshes now.

a bit off topic: My guess is that if the game were made for a newer engine, then remakes of the classic maps would appeal to older TUT players (maybe thief players too). I expect that to get newer players you would have to make new maps that leveraged the technology of the new engine (graphics and sound).
Old 11th Jun 2011, 04:08 PM   #70
FatRatHead

`trust me we are fed up with the old maps.
FatRatHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Jun 2011, 09:18 AM   #71
]>CoD<[Chief

KewlAzMe and I worked on (and lost long ago) a thief>ut3 map convertor which had the ability to replace texture strings in the bsp map file over to ut3 textures.

All you need is a find/replace script that finds references on a database to a particular texture string (eg) thcity.new.oldbricks and replaces it with the ut3 equivilent.

Not worth the effort to do that now days though

I'd say a modern computer may cope better with the bsp issues of mapping with ut3 (and beyond), there were tricks to get it working better but it was just so painfully slow to map (lighting was the main issue I had, build all lights, and the map was editable, but move or add anything to the map and it was a snails pace till you rebuilt the lighting, turning off lighting completely in the editor view or just relying on 2d viewports worked "okay".
]>CoD<[Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2011, 11:32 AM   #72
WTaFa
Banned

Originally Posted by WTaFa: ( link to post ) 
I posted today the same topic on www.ttlg.com and on forums.eidosgames.com. Feel free to support by advices and comments gamers from that sites (after theirs replies ofc - so let's be patient).
After one week I still haven't any replies for my topics on that forums.
Congratulations!!
Community of Thief1/2/3 is looked more dead than our community!
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 12:17 AM   #73
DemonWraith
Banned

WTaFa Rules!!!
DemonWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 12:56 AM   #74
DemonWraith
Banned

WTaFa is a fucking Hero.
Seriously show this Man some respect, hes working his ass off to make this game better and at least he has the determination & will power to do it, something most of you fucks lack. God, I hope some of you realize, you look like a bunch of old ladies sitting around, gossiping and talking crap about people. Pathetic..
Grow some balls, be a man, take ACTION.

If any ladies are reading this I apologize for my rude language and this has no reference to you'll. :3
DemonWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 03:56 AM   #75
FixXxeR

Haha, your funny. In the "we're all laughing at you" kind of way.
- #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
FixXxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2011, 01:40 AM   #76
Shug

this has no reference to you will, though
Shug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Jun 2011, 09:29 PM   #77
Asaltec..SaitoNai

Most Succinct Post Evar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WtaFaRulez.jpg (57.5 KB, 37 views)