Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion

Old 13th Dec 2011, 06:40 AM   #1
WTaFa
Banned

Guard objectives

If thieves must steal 1500 loot, then the guards' objective is to prevent thieves from stealing more than 1499 loot. but if thieves can steal 1490 loot, everything's perfect for guards.

Bullshit?

So why we have maps where all loot, that we can see, is pickable? Where loot that can't be taken by thieves cos it can't be unlocked etc?

But if map has such loot just for decoration, can this confuse thieves too much? Thief don't know/remember exactly where is useful loot.
WTaFa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2011, 07:33 AM   #2
Machine

Sounds simple to me, if you meet the objectives you win, if you don't you loose. How else do you propose this works? If in a game of chess I take nearly all your pieces then you take my king, it doesn't matter how well I did prior to that, I loose.
Old 13th Dec 2011, 07:50 AM   #3
WTaFa
Banned

Originally Posted by Machine: ( link to post ) 
Sounds simple to me, if you meet the objectives you win, if you don't you loose. How else do you propose this works? If in a game of chess I take nearly all your pieces then you take my king, it doesn't matter how well I did prior to that, I loose.
1. Guards are about doing their job making sure NOTHING get's stolen.
2. Guards are trying to keep their jobs by guarding.

- so both these statements are wrong?

Last edited by WTaFa; 13th Dec 2011 at 08:01 AM.
Old 13th Dec 2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Machine

No, it's a game, and the rules / objectives are clearly defined at the start of the round, it would be a pretty crappy game if you had to stop them stealing anything.
Old 13th Dec 2011, 08:09 AM   #5
immortius

Thieves never escape with less than the required amount of loot - either they get the required amount and escape, or they are all killed, or the time limit expires and reinforcements arrive and finish them off or something.
Old 13th Dec 2011, 09:07 AM   #6
WTaFa
Banned

Is it normal that guard after theft shows his master that 10 loot was successfully protected and 1490 loot was stolen?

And I think here argument "gameplay>>realism" hasn't enough power.
Why we haven't on maps loot that can't be stolen, loot just for decoration?
Such fake loot show us that map has much more loot that we can see by pressing F2.

And it can be funny if thief will try to steal loot that map has only for decorative purpose.
Old 13th Dec 2011, 09:25 AM   #7
Machine

I'll tell you what I think then I'm outa this thread.

I think no matter what we say your going to apply some pseudo realism argument to a computer game whose rules exist in order to create a victory condition for the match.

I'll get Big D to remove all the "a"'s from your name because that's what I think when I read your posts sometimes...
Old 13th Dec 2011, 09:27 AM   #8
Bandit

Changeable loot value so the same thing can have different value. Even in real world the same thing can have different prices...
It would be much harder to create tactic but isn't it all about what TUT should be? Tactic makes game predictable and boring for guards. Now they need to only wait until thieves will decide to get inside the guarded place. If no one would know where valuable loot is then guards should guard as much loot as possible and thieves would have more opportunities to get inside and stay alive there.

Random loot isn't perfect at some maps but it is fault of map makers. They haven't used random loot properly and perhaps their maps weren't tested well.
Old 13th Dec 2011, 09:49 AM   #9
Keggie

Originally Posted by Machine: ( link to post ) 
I'll get Big D to remove all the "a"'s from your name because that's what I think when I read your posts sometimes...
lmfao, i want that as qoty

benny has been in 3 games of thief, and he fails every time, yet he is still a enployed as a guard :|

Quote:
Random loot isn't perfect at some maps but it is fault of map makers. They haven't used random loot properly and perhaps their maps weren't tested well.
wouldnt call it a map makers fault, random loot used in maps is just to mix it up a bit more. its not to make it completly random, its there to make it not identical each map load. imo there isnt rly a map that could be used for a full total random loot map. closest you got would be flats imo, but thats only if you made more shops and apartments i think. a full random loot map would be awsome and much more fun to guard and ghost. but if its random your spreading the loot out more and also the ai.. increases dming id predict would make it more thiefie tho and make it feel like your looting the city.. maybe im going to far into that :|
Videos - YouTube

Last edited by Keggie; 13th Dec 2011 at 10:02 AM.
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Dec 2011, 10:26 AM   #10
WTaFa
Banned

Nice. As I understand if map will have decoration elements that looks like loot and thief can't pick them, it's ok? Both sides haven't huge troubles with that?

Machine, you can pm me/mods if you have some problems with my posts.

Besides if you and BiG_D can make such transfer with my nickname and this won't abuse forum rules I'll be very, very happy.

Edit: damn, what's "pseudo realism" in Thievery universe? Where are its boundaries?
Old 13th Dec 2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Keggie

maps have decoration, theres no point putting somthing in the map that looks like loot, if it isnt, as if it was loot the thief would take it. if you put loot decoraction in the map it would change nothing but make players have to learn the map again and for newer players to learn them twice as much. the game has few enough players as it is to make life harder for people
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
persecution