Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion

Old 21st Jun 2011, 10:43 AM   #1
Antero90

Looking at Thievery, a June 21st 2011 Perspective

Its June 21 2011

I am sitting at work looking at tutorials and UED stuff. (Yes I am not in a mood to work and I got a deadline from my boss) My mind is slipping towards memory lane.

I should be scared by the huge task ahead (trust me, I planned too many rooms) but instead I am finding myself enjoying this return.

Now, I have played a lot of stuff (and yes, I am stil playing Duke Nukem Forever between mappings and UED readinds). My gaming has decreased a lot, but I had my fair share since 1987, the dreaded year I got a Spectrum (and the bloody thing is still working, gah!).
Let me tell you, only two games came close to the overall feeling I had with Thievery but one of those was closely related to Thievery (it was Guild Wars).

But overall, Thievery is still the best experience I had ever. It was not just the Thievy feeling, it was the Thievy feeling, some great coding from what is today Blackcat Games and, probably the backbone of all this, the community.

The community played a huge role in making this a unique experience. Sure, it may be a niche, but it was a faithfull niche of people that worked like a small turf, where every taffer knew every taffer (and guard).

The forums really played a huge extension of the experience. Things that nowdays any WoW wannbe takes for granted were being done way back then. Screenshot discussion, match videos, challenges, new maps, new servers, new guilds (even today I cannot see the word FAG and not relate it to the former guild). All this was done long before the youtubes and free download hosts.

People were genuily active, not only because they wanted to show the latest mario but because there was a sense of sharing the fun of breaking sucessfully into the book room with the judge inside or catching that slippery thief with all objectives ticked.
There was a sense of family and proximity as you were sneaking for loot and all server stoped at the sight of «BrokenArts has joined the game» (I tell you, the few female taffers could have ruled the world if they wanted). The fact that we were still having fun at the same maps release after release (not that they were not updated, they were updated a lot) and still uncovering new exploits to turn the tables is proof enough that these were good times. I will never stop having fun shotting Gerome and pressing the alarm, opening the spider cell, I still dread at having to guard Folly with so many shadows. Heck, even testing my map as a guard still triggers the «must keep and eye for taffers» on my mind.

There were bad times sure, some ugly banns came along, a few flame wars errupted, some Thief fans never took TuT seriously, lots and lots of stupid peple comparing TuT to CS, people left, Night-Blade never came along... But they account for so little when you look at the positive stuff.

More amazing is that in 2011 the community is still breathing. There are still some old taffers around, Brody is still runnning servers (or at least I am seeing them in the browser). There are also some new sacrificial lambs for our zombies in Souls Harbor and there is (suposedly) a 4th Thief in the making.

I posted a return thread in the mapping section thinking «Well, maybe in 2 weeks time someone will ask how's it going or shooing me». But I got instant feedback. So the burrick is not dead yet. And since it's dead not yet I am considering stealing back the vacant Skull King Title that I lost in a lone match against Mach's team (I know you are there you Artifical Taffer Construct, I am planning a revenge match!) and... provided I get permission from the mods, a return of a yearly tradition that was lost.

So, congratulations to everyone for building such a great experience, I hope to be able to repay a little by finally doing my map.
Antero90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 12:24 PM   #2
]>CoD<[Chief

How dare you not mention your old guild

And with any luck (well lots of luck) we'll see everyone return for the cryengine 3 Thievery remake release (yes, a shameless plug).

Chief
]>CoD<[Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 12:37 PM   #3
Antero90

Originally Posted by ]>CoD<[Chief: ( link to post ) 
How dare you not mention your old guild
which one?
I think I was part of 2 of them and of another one which was made up of just me

But sure, those were fun times at Cod too (have not eaten cod in a while). Too bad we failed at getting the NB test build.
Antero90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2011, 01:19 PM   #4
]>CoD<[Chief

Yeah, I got hold of it but was asked not to pass it round
Old 21st Jun 2011, 04:32 PM   #5
NeuroFunkeR

Ccccccchief! What's up with Cryvery? Are you already working, or still moving stuff from U3 engine, and geting used with CryE3 stuff?
NeuroFunkeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jun 2011, 11:38 AM   #6
]>CoD<[Chief

cry isnt released till August, so it's all talk atm
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 07:43 AM   #7
Machine

I remember that match. Good times.
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 07:59 AM   #8
NeuroFunkeR

Originally Posted by ]>CoD<[Chief: ( link to post ) 
cry isnt released till August, so it's all talk atm
NeuroFunkeR is offline   Reply With Quote