Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Troubleshooting & Technical Help

Old 25th Jan 2008, 06:57 PM   #1
DiP

Speaker Specs

I kinda consider myself snobby and upperclass with my Creative Labs 7.1 Surround Sound System. But what really confuses me is this...

My friend showed me his shiny new box, of "1kW" 2.1 speakers from some unkown generic company.

So I thought mine would be better somehow, but when I look the specs up...my speakers do 90 Watts. I know what Watts are, but what does it matter in speakers? Is a 1kW speaker set, better than a 90W speaker set?

I asked google, but the answers weren't really clear.

All I wanna know is, what are you really looking for when it comes to good speakers, from looking at a list of specs, what is the thing that you should be most impressed by? Watts? dB(Well...anything above 80 is sorta, useless)? How can I tell if my speakers are better than one others, without going over to his and listening to them?

No "Surround Sound Sucks, get headphones/2.1 speakers lol" arguements please

Thanks.
Old 25th Jan 2008, 08:57 PM   #2
Endo-Outo!
Banned

Originally Posted by deathispainfull: ( link to post ) 

I asked google, but the answers weren't really clear.
hmmm, you can talk with google? Thats interresting.
Endo-Outo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jan 2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Thebos

With watts, the only considerations I see is whether it will be able to to handle the output of the amplifier with out distorting.

Aside from that, look at:
=> frequency range: (Typical human hearing:20hz- 20khz, although usable hearing is in a lesser range)
=> frequency response (how even is the response across the spectrum, etc)

In the end though, the only real way to tell is comparative listening.To subtle factors at work, and speakers that look the same on paper may sound different. Also, specs may show a differnce, but that will not mean you can here it.
Old 26th Jan 2008, 07:07 AM   #4
DiP

So that means, that his speakers can go...considerably louder than mine without distorting? I really cannot imagine two speakers the size of his, to go anywhere as near as loud as mine.
Old 26th Jan 2008, 07:23 AM   #5
Meister

Well, rather a lengthy post. Hope, I'm not gonna bore you to death.

Well, I also have T7900. I think, it's a good system, because:
a) 7.1 speakers with EAX sound very well (try "Haunted Cavern" effect while playing Cleanup )
b) it has two-way (separate channels for low/high frequencies) front speakers;
c) remote control with sockets for headset and lightning is rather convenient.

It also has some drawbacks:
a) Some cables have rum 3-channel mini-jacks, so you can plug them only into Creative card (I had to buy one, though I have 7.1 integrated Realtek);
b) they say, remote control with a rotating knob can produce noise, because of the moving parts (IR is better that way);

Now a couple of words about wattage (there are 3 types of it). The first one is what an amplifier can output, the second one shows how much power a speaker can input, and the last one is the actual output sound power of a speaker. Speakers usually have efficiency of around 1%, so if you have 1kW electrical signal as input, you get 10W sound wave signal as output. It seems to be too little at first. But you know, when you speak, you procude about only 0.00001W of sound. So, when we see "1kW speaker", it usually means, that it can consume 1kW of power, but we don't know it's efficiency and can't tell, how much it will actually produce.

One more interesting fact. Let's look at T7900: according to it's power supply label, it can provide ~80W - obviously, the amplifier cannot provide more than that. But all the speakers can take 20+24+6*8=92W. As you can see, there's some reserve, so as not to overdrive them. Besides, there's peak power and average (RMS) power...

Let's sum up: 1) We know, that "1kW NoName Speakers" can consume 1kW of power; 2) We don't know their efficiency, we don't know how much an amplifier can produce, we don't know how much power is reserved to protect the speakers, we don't know whether we have 1kW of peak or average power. That's why I think it's impossible to tell, whether they are better, than yours, DIP.

That's what concerns power purely. Besides this, there are lots of other quality-related factors. Thebos has mentioned them already.

P.S. I like my T7900, hope you like it too.

Last edited by Meister; 26th Jan 2008 at 03:33 PM.
Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2008, 11:35 AM   #6
Endo-Outo!
Banned

god just get X-Fi card, good headphones, and be happy...
Endo-Outo! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jan 2008, 02:45 PM   #7
DiP

Originally Posted by Endo-Outo!: ( link to post ) 
god just get X-Fi card, good headphones, and be happy...
 Originally Posted by deathispainfull: ( link to post ) 
No "Surround Sound Sucks, get headphones/2.1 speakers lol" arguements please
That makes sense, thanks for the help Meister
Old 26th Jan 2008, 09:24 PM   #8
necros

as far as your size argument goes, flatplanel speakers are really getting along. these tiny things can give off very high quality sound whilst being much smaller than mine are.

btw, just for a laugh, "surround sound" is nerfed and inaccurate in comparison to 2 Channel Binaurual Recording

note: for the demonstration to work, you must wear headphones. There are 2 channels in the track, no surround info at all, your brain does that for you

My speaker set is 2.1 (logitech), and a total of 85W peak between them. They can produce sufficient volume without distortion for an outdoor BBQ.
Unless you're playing your game/music in a concert hall at rediculous volumes, a set of 2.1 desktop speakers for ~30 will do fine. Unless ofcourse you are going for the Audiophile experience in which case nothing but headphones are reccommended.

If surroundsound *is* a neccessity, 5.1 and 7.1 headphones do exist.

edi:, oh one last thing. wattage/efficiency rating wise, check your impedance vs his.
Old 28th Jan 2008, 10:53 AM   #9
-KewlAzMe-

Originally Posted by necros: ( link to post ) 
My speaker set is 2.1 (logitech), and a total of 85W peak between them. They can produce sufficient volume without distortion for an outdoor BBQ.
Unless you're playing your game/music in a concert hall at rediculous volumes, a set of 2.1 desktop speakers for ~30 will do fine.
If surroundsound *is* a neccessity, 5.1 and 7.1 headphones do exist.
Thx for that necros. I've been eyeballing that 2.1 set from logitech and wondered if it would be decent. Hell it can't be much worse than the $6 pair of speakers I've been using up till now. (I think they came with my Dad's Pentium 100 PC)
Old 28th Jan 2008, 07:18 PM   #10
necros

to be fair, as far as digitised audio is concerned, quality wise there are FAR more things that you should worry about before your speakers/headphones, such as sampling rate, bitrate and compression etc.

No amount of fancy 100 soundcards and 1kW speaker sets will restore the fidelity of low-bitrate audio.