Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Tech Help

Notices

Old 28th May 2004, 04:36 PM   #1
WildBill

Alien Swarm on Macs

Initially we'd planned to include a Mac launcher and installer with Alien Swarm, but we ran into a couple last minute problems with ucc-bin being flaky. I didn't have the sleep or the time to finish it before release, but I'm still working on it. Until it's working, here's the process to get Alien Swarm working on MacOS X.

Installing Alien Swarm

1) Update UT2004 to version 3204 if you haven't already -- this is critical! The patch is available here .

2) Download and extract the non-umod version of Alien Swarm (mirror, torrent). There should be three folders: "AlienSwarm", "System", and "Music".

3) Find the Unreal Tournament 2004 application, and right click on it. Select "Show Package Contents". Copy the files from the "System" folder you extracted into the "System" folder here. Also copy the files from the extracted "Music" folder into the "Music" folder in the package. Then drag the "AlienSwarm" folder into the package.

4) Download and extract the Alien Swarm Mac Launcher (mirror, mirror 2). Copy the launcher to wherever you'd like, and run it to launch Alien Swarm.

Patching to version 1.1

Download the Mac/Linux 1.1 patch from the Alien Swarm website and extract it. Copy the files in the "AlienSwarm" folder you extracted into their respective places in the "AlienSwarm" folder inside the UT2004 package.

If you encounter any problems with this, let me know.

Last edited by DarkBill; 4th Jun 2004 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Updated for version 1.1
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2004, 05:29 PM   #2
CactuarX

okay i followed the above directions...i run the swarm launcher, but nothing happens...the launcher app doesn't even run...it bounces in the dock, then goes away...i have the 3204 patch installed prior to installing the mod, and i did the non-umod install...i will try doing a clean install, but in the mean time if anyone has any advice it would be appreciated.
CactuarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2004, 09:58 AM   #3
whitemagic

CactuarX: Last time something like that happened to me, with another application, was because the executable did not have execute permission. Though having extracted the file myself and checking via the command line, all the necessary permissions seem to be there.

Note the following is going to get techie, so if you are not thus oriented this may get a little 'deep':

If you want to check for yourself, via the command line, go to the directory where 'Alien Swarm Launcher.app' is installed and type:

ls -l Alien\ Swarm\ Launcher.app/Contents/MacOS/

If everything is correct the line should start with '-rwxr-xr-x'. If all that seems to be okay, then we are going to need the console to help us. The console is located in /Applications/Utilities/ . Open it and then hit clear, so that we have an empty console window. Next, double click the launcher. If you are running for the first time, you will be asked to locate your UT 2004 install with Alien swarm. If the program dies after that you should hopefully get some error message in the console. If you copy that text and send it to the forum, it should help the people here (note: you may not always something displaying in the console).

Small disclaimer, I am not part of the development team and I don't have UT2K4 to try running this (my computer is too slow), so the above explanation is based on general experience.
whitemagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2004, 08:44 PM   #4
Python

Thumbs down Error

I installed it first as the non-umod version and then with the umod version. I had the same problem both times (launcher bounces then quits). The launcher permissions seem to be fine (i could chmod them if necessery).

I got the following error in the console:

===== Sun May 30 2004 ===== 02:15:14 Europe/London =====
Failed to enter AlienSwarmStartup.ut2: Can't find file 'AlienSwarmStartup.ut2'

History:

Exiting due to error

I then wrote an applescript application to launch Alien Swarm, and I got an identical error. This file exists in the AlienSwarm/Maps folder, but isnt recognized. If I put this file in the main Maps folder, it is then recognized and another error is generated for another missing file. It seems the only way to fix this problem is to move all the files from the AlienSwarm folder to their respective folders in the main UT2004 directory. However, I don't see why this should be necessery, especially when Red Orchestra seems to work just fine with it's own folder.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2004, 08:56 PM   #5
CactuarX

Did as instructed....but...

okay i tried out the terminal commands, and everything came out like you dais it should...so write permission would not appear to be the issue at hand...

As you requested i ran console while running the launcher app, and this is the error message that it produced...

sh: cd: /Users/jeff/Games /Unreal Tournament 2004.app//System/: No such file or directory
sh: ./ut2004-bin: No such file or directory

so i checked this out and there is indeed a System directory within the UT 2004 package, and there is a ut2004-bin contained there in...other info i can provide is that i am running 10.2.8 on a dual 1GHz tower with 1.5 gigs of RAM...

on a further note...i attempted changing the name of my games folder considering it had a symbol contained in the name, but that was no dice either...

if there is anything else i can do to help solve this issue please let me know...

Last edited by CactuarX; 29th May 2004 at 09:07 PM. Reason: correcting the Title
Old 29th May 2004, 11:18 PM   #6
WildBill

Originally Posted by Python:
I installed it first as the non-umod version and then with the umod version. I had the same problem both times (launcher bounces then quits). The launcher permissions seem to be fine (i could chmod them if necessery).

I got the following error in the console:

===== Sun May 30 2004 ===== 02:15:14 Europe/London =====
Failed to enter AlienSwarmStartup.ut2: Can't find file 'AlienSwarmStartup.ut2'
Patch UT2004 to version 3204. You'll also need to delete your AlienSwarm.ini once you patch.

Originally Posted by CactuarX:
As you requested i ran console while running the launcher app, and this is the error message that it produced...

sh: cd: /Users/jeff/Games /Unreal Tournament 2004.app//System/: No such file or directory
sh: ./ut2004-bin: No such file or directory
The problem is an extra slash in that path for some reason. I'll PM you a link to a launcher that should fix the problem. Also, what version of OSX are you running?

Last edited by DarkBill; 30th May 2004 at 12:25 AM.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2004, 12:42 PM   #7
CactuarX

Thnx...you guys are gods...

okay i tried your new launcher DarkBill and it works like a champ...i can't express how impressed i am with you and your groups drive for excellence in your work...i also thank everyone else who helped me as well...and to answer your question i am running OS X 10.2.8

Thnx again...now to go give your mod a complete work out.
Old 30th May 2004, 03:33 PM   #8
WildBill

Originally Posted by CactuarX:
okay i tried your new launcher DarkBill and it works like a champ
Glad to hear it. ^_^ I'll be updating the launcher soon, and will include that fix.
Old 31st May 2004, 09:27 AM   #9
Python

Tnx, my one worked as well after patching. However, I could have sworn that I patched to 3204 before, and Red Orchestra, which uses the same system as Alien Swarm, worked fine. Quite wierd...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2004, 01:11 PM   #10
WildBill

Originally Posted by Python:
However, I could have sworn that I patched to 3204 before
There was a mac patch before 3204, you may be thinking of that.
Old 4th Jun 2004, 07:37 PM   #11
ravenseed

cactuarx send me a link that fixed fixed your alien swarm launcher ive tryed almost everything short of reinstalling my ut2004 hlp........
ravenseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jun 2004, 09:15 PM   #12
WildBill

Originally Posted by ravenseed:
cactuarx send me a link that fixed fixed your alien swarm launcher ive tryed almost everything short of reinstalling my ut2004 hlp........
The updated Mac launcher is here. The download links have also been changed to the new version. It has a couple minor fixes, but there's no reason to update unless you were having problems with the old one.
Old 4th Jun 2004, 09:29 PM   #13
WildBill

Updated first post with instructions on patching to version 1.1.
Old 14th Jun 2004, 02:08 PM   #14
scotty512

Mac Alien Swarm not workin

I tried everything...
Heres what Terminal said:

Last login: Mon Jun 14 13:12:57 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
Scott-Harrells-Computer:~ scottharrell$ /Users/scottharrell/Desktop/Alien\ Swarm\ Launcher.3.app/Contents/MacOS/Alien\ Swarm\ Launcher; exit
Can't find 'ini:Engine.Engine.GameEngine' in configuration file

History:

Exiting due to error
logout
[Process completed]
scotty512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2004, 10:45 PM   #15
Lone-Wolf

Unhappy Stuffit hates .rar files?

Mods gimme a sec to explain, this is relevant to the thread, i swear!

Trying to expand the V1.1 mac patch, and the Non-Umod, both .rar's, stuffit opens briefly, then pops up this warning:

"An error has occurred while expanding the file "Alien Swarm_v1_non_umod.rar" (Format error).

Error #17540"

Is this my computer (OS 10.3.3, 1Ghz laptop, 15") being problematic or is this a known problem?
Lone-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Jul 2004, 10:58 PM   #16
WildBill

Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf:
Trying to expand the V1.1 mac patch, and the Non-Umod, both .rar's, stuffit opens briefly, then pops up this warning:

"An error has occurred while expanding the file "Alien Swarm_v1_non_umod.rar" (Format error).

Error #17540"
Right click on the archive and under Open With select Stuffit Expander instead of the default helper application.
Old 3rd Jul 2004, 11:09 PM   #17
Lone-Wolf

The default helper application is already Stuffit Expander.
Lone-Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Jul 2004, 09:07 AM   #18
WildBill

Originally Posted by Lone-Wolf:
The default helper application is already Stuffit Expander.
Sometimes there's an additional helper application that passes the files onto Stuffit Expander -- it's been known to cause issues like that. For the hell of it, trying dragging the files directly onto Stuffit Expander. In the past it's been kinda flaky about how files were opened.

And make sure you have the latest version first.
Old 11th Jul 2004, 03:19 PM   #19
ZX81

UMOD install using Linux script

I was able to install the UMOD version using this method:

1) Download Alien Swarm v1.1 (umod) and the Mac launcher.
2) Show Package Contents on Unreal Tournament 2004 and navigate to the System folder therein.
3) Copy AlienSwarm_v1.ut4mod and as-linux-installer.sh to the System folder in Unreal Tournament 2004.
4) Now fire up Terminal and type "cd " then drag the Unreal Tournament 2004 System folder onto the Terminal window and hit return (to connect to the System directory in UT2004).
5) In the Terminal type "./as-linux-installer.sh" (without the quotes of course) to run the linux install script.
6) Unstuff macswarmlauncher.sit to get Alien Swarm Launcher.
7) Play!

I found that the launcher didn't work first time. I had to run UT2004 regular, quit, and then it worked. also my mouse button didn't work first time in Alien Swarm. again, 2nd time all was good.

Thanks to "DoctorB" from another mac forum for originally discovering this method.
ZX81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2004, 03:32 PM   #20
WildBill

Originally Posted by ZX81:
I found that the launcher didn't work first time. I had to run UT2004 regular, quit, and then it worked.
Aye -- it should ask for the location of UT2004 if you've never run it before. It actually gets the location of the application from the ut2004.log file, if it exists.

Thanks to "DoctorB" from another mac forum for originally discovering this method.
He's not the only one to have tried that -- and certainly not the first -- but I'll not steal his kudoes. ^_^
Old 11th Jul 2004, 03:46 PM   #21
ZX81

Originally Posted by WildBill:
Aye -- it should ask for the location of UT2004 if you've never run it before. It actually gets the location of the application from the ut2004.log file, if it exists.
where is the ut2004.log file? my friend is having no luck with the launcher now.

Originally Posted by WildBill:
He's not the only one to have tried that -- and certainly not the first -- but I'll not steal his kudoes. ^_^
ha. well I just meant that I hadn't realised before reading his post on macaddict, that there was a UNIX executable inside UT2004 that could unpack umods etc.

what I can't understand is, given this fact, why the mac publisher can't make a working umod installer for us.
ZX81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jul 2004, 07:03 PM   #22
WildBill

where is the ut2004.log file? my friend is having no luck with the launcher now.
It'll be in ~/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament 2004/System/UT2004.log. What problems is he having?

what I can't understand is, given this fact, why the mac publisher can't make a working umod installer for us.
MacSoft is fairly lame these days. It's a pity.
Old 3rd Oct 2004, 04:15 PM   #23
Taika

will this work with 1.2? i'm kinda confused/lost...

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet
Taika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Nov 2004, 05:37 PM   #24
Santaduck

Hi WildBill, I'll post my info to this thread that you pointed out.

AlienSwarm OS X Launcher download from macologist here. About 50K. This app is easier than an .sh script since it is not path-dependent (it saves the path to UT2004), nor does the user have to enter Terminal. (The .sh might work in the user library app support area, but otherwise needs to be inside the bundle).

I've left the alienswarm launcher unlocked so you can see how it works.

AlienSwarm Full 1.2 .dmg for OS X. Includes packagemaker installer, and launcher. Available here.

_______

comments to the above.

ucc-bin isn't used, ut2004-bin is. But even so the better way is not to call ut2004-bin but to call /Contents/MacOS, which in turn will call ut2004-bin, but will retain everything else, like telling the OS what app is running (necessary for app-specific settings on custom mouse drivers), and displaying the currect icon (UT) in the Dock.

Anyways DocB, who is mentioned above, has helped a lot in these issues, we know each other from MacAddict UT2kN forums, where he did a lot of testing for my mac UT2004 toolpack.

If you want to make your own launcher for other mods, we provide the raw applescript code and instructions for doing so over in the Coding section in our knowledgebase over at Macologist here.

This utility works well with full conversion mod umods, for example we've used it with Air Buccaneers' ut4mod. It should work with Alien Swarm as well, if you choose to use the ut4mod rather than my .pkg + .dmg. You'll still need the AS launcher however, either mine or Wild Bill's.

Last edited by Santaduck; 30th Nov 2004 at 04:00 PM.
Santaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2005, 10:49 PM   #25
DeepQantas
Tester

I just spotted this nifty looking program over at BeyondUnreal.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...dlauncher.html

Apparently a launcher for all UT2004 mods. Anyone care to try it out?
Old 14th Feb 2005, 09:34 PM   #26
Mac_Jedi

We're gonna try it out over at Macologist - its open source so we may end up canabalizing parts of it for our own uses - but in the mean time this is prolly the best way to get Swarm on a Mac

Installer and launcher app all in one DL, courtesy you're friends @ www.macologist.org

http://www.macologist.org/dload.php?...ile&file_id=94

-Jedi
(sorry for the shameless plugs)

Last edited by Mac_Jedi; 21st Dec 2005 at 11:59 AM.
Mac_Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote