Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm Forums > Alien Swarm Discussion

Old 2nd Aug 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
MiffedUser

Impassable Level Design

Not really sure if this is something that one would consider noteworthy, but there is an area or two that can't be passed while solo-ing with a certain loadout.

First up is the Cargo Elevator. If you don't carry some sort of weapon which deals ranged damage you cant blow the barrels that cause the pipe to knock down the bridge to cross the gap.

For example, I just discovered that carrying a chainsaw, freeze sentry, and tesla trap renders me unable to complete the level, since none of these will hurt a barrel.

I'm going to assume the same happens in the sewers, where you must blow open the grate before the four shield bugs.

Last edited by MiffedUser; 2nd Aug 2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
MiffedUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Machine

Good sir, is this a problem with level design or a problem with your loadout? Correct tools for the task and all that... you wouldn't go clay pigeon shooting with a boxing glove would you?

Old 3rd Aug 2010, 03:28 AM   #3
immortius

Eh, if you want impassable - it is possible to brick the offline level regardless of loadout. You can actually skip hacking to collect data at the midway point and proceed down the elevator. You end up at the exit, unable to complete the mission and unable to return to collect the data.
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 04:16 AM   #4
Keggie

Impassable you say... i take it you havnt tried bumping into the bridge itself? cannot recall if i was using chainsaw or just pushing against it but you dont have to explode the barrel to lower the bridge but mach and imort are right, you should pick the right tools for the job in hand..

and as for sewers i think it also might be possible.. i havnt tested it but for some reason i recall passing that one bit without exploding the barrel.. but im not sure if it was a ranged weapon that triggered something else off or not
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 05:10 AM   #5
Informant

Afaik in sewers, there is a spare rifle laying around right where you have to shoot the barrel.
Informant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Keggie

i was refuring to the section before that where when you hit the barrel it starts the slowmo, metal rail swings down and pushes the crate into the fence to knock it over
Videos - YouTube
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 05:23 AM   #7
NeuroFunkeR

woo sewers, rushed it on insane with teslas and freezing grenades, ftw!
NeuroFunkeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 05:23 AM   #8
NeuroFunkeR

Originally Posted by Machine: ( link to post ) 
now we all know, whats your favorite sex toy, sir!

Last edited by NeuroFunkeR; 3rd Aug 2010 at 01:23 PM.
NeuroFunkeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 06:15 AM   #9
Machine

Go away.
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Chainsaws

Originally Posted by Informant: ( link to post ) 
Afaik in sewers, there is a spare rifle laying around right where you have to shoot the barrel.
You, sir, win a prize!

It has been noted that on residential the northernmost room with the eggs in requires a tech but you can get there without one. Can someone confirm this is true? I'm not sure if we started without a tech or we lost him half way but the mission didn't end.
Chainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 08:50 AM   #11
BiG_D
Super Moderator

That door is bashable, and the map doesn't require a tech.
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 01:16 PM   #12
MiffedUser

Originally Posted by keg: ( link to post ) 
Impassable you say... i take it you havnt tried bumping into the bridge itself? cannot recall if i was using chainsaw or just pushing against it but you dont have to explode the barrel to lower the bridge but mach and imort are right, you should pick the right tools for the job in hand..

and as for sewers i think it also might be possible.. i havnt tested it but for some reason i recall passing that one bit without exploding the barrel.. but im not sure if it was a ranged weapon that triggered something else off or not
Maybe I should, but I also think you shouldn't be required to bring a weapon you don't want to use, outside of weapons needed to destroy enemies like BioMass.

Residential makes you bring a flamer. Some levels make you bring a tech. Some levels are unbeatable with certain loadouts, such as the one I mentioned. There are no spare weapons you can pick up temporarily on Cargo Elevator, and there's no warning saying you must bring a certain weapon type with you.

As for bashing the bridge, no, it didn't work. I punched the bridge, the barrels, the pipe that rolls onto the bridge, used a chainsaw on them, and nothing happened.

A simple fix would be to have some sort of weapon sitting around for you to pick up, like the mining lasers on Timor.

Last edited by MiffedUser; 3rd Aug 2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Keggie

Originally Posted by MiffedUser: ( link to post ) 
Maybe I should, but I also think you shouldn't be required to bring a weapon you don't want to use, outside of weapons needed to destroy enemies like BioMass.
yeah well i believe its suposed to be a 4 player co-op game where you can work out between you the best equipment for the map and you work together to do the map, if you want to do speed runs or just go at it alone then you do the maps as they are made..

Residential makes you bring a flamer. Some levels make you bring a tech. Some levels are unbeatable with certain loadouts, such as the one I mentioned. There are no spare weapons you can pick up temporarily on Cargo Elevator, and there's no warning saying you must bring a certain weapon type with you.

As for bashing the bridge, no, it didn't work. I punched the bridge, the barrels, the pipe that rolls onto the bridge, used a chainsaw on them, and nothing happened.
try again, i know iv done it before and iv just tested it again and did it fine... have another go, if you still cannot work it out i will do a demo or somthing..
Videos - YouTube
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 02:30 PM   #14
MiffedUser

Originally Posted by keg: ( link to post ) 
yeah well i believe its suposed to be a 4 player co-op game where you can work out between you the best equipment for the map and you work together to do the map, if you want to do speed runs or just go at it alone then you do the maps as they are made..

try again, i know iv done it before and iv just tested it again and did it fine... have another go, if you still cannot work it out i will do a demo or somthing..

But there's also the possibility of running it solo. The "It's a co-op game" thing doesn't really fly there. The point I'm making is that if you're gonna have an obstacle that can't be passed, without warning before the mission starts, then add a dropped weapon, or put a warning when trying to start the game.

I'd appreciate a demo, if you wouldn't mind. I'm running and pushing against the bridge, at ground level and on the little catwalk above. It's doing nothing. I'm trying it on the pipe as well, and no go. Melee isn't doing anything, and neither is the chainsaw.

Upon trying it again, melee only works (for me) if you punch it from the end, and even then, you have to punch it past the hole, and run along a narrow ledge. It doesn't fall onto the hole, making a bridge. Thanks though.

Last edited by MiffedUser; 3rd Aug 2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Keggie

if your going to run it solo then you should know the map anyway and should know what equipment to take for it but i guess my view is dif from yours and that will be the end of it

demo for you and anyone else who wants to know, you need the chainsaw, not tried punch or powerfist

edit fix link.. i think
http://h1.ripway.com/keg/bridge.zip

edit 2 -

and on sewer run also you dont need to blow the barrel, you can chainsaw the pillar to make the bar drop and open the gate
Videos - YouTube

Last edited by Keggie; 3rd Aug 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 03:52 PM   #16
Machine

The "It's a co-op game" thing doesn't really fly there.
Yes it does. Read the game description.

Quote:
Tactical, 4 player co-op action game with a top-down perspective
Keg is correct. Adjust your loadout.
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 08:32 PM   #17
Fuzzy Bunny

Originally Posted by Chainsaws: ( link to post ) 
You, sir, win a prize!

It has been noted that on residential the northernmost room with the eggs in requires a tech but you can get there without one. Can someone confirm this is true? I'm not sure if we started without a tech or we lost him half way but the mission didn't end.
The marksman rifle also shoots through the door. That's about the only good use I've found for it...
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 09:20 PM   #18
Aggamemnon

Just chainsaws through it.
Aggamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 09:24 PM   #19
MiffedUser

Originally Posted by Aggamemnon: ( link to post ) 
Just chainsaws through it.
If you stand against the door and throw a Tesla trap, it will go through the door and land on the other side. At least, it used to. Haven't tried lately.
Old 4th Aug 2010, 02:06 AM   #20
westy

I've seen someone use the precision rifle to shoot the eggs through the door.
Old 4th Aug 2010, 02:22 AM   #21
Ki!ler-Mk1

But there's also the possibility of running it solo. The "It's a co-op game" thing doesn't really fly there. The point I'm making is that if you're gonna have an obstacle that can't be passed, without warning before the mission starts, then add a dropped weapon, or put a warning when trying to start the game.
I think that "this mission requires minimum 2 marines" covers it quite well.
Old 4th Aug 2010, 08:37 AM   #22
Kasto

In residential near top left you can trigger the bomber bug, run near the door and with some luck a bomb will bounce off the door far enough in to the room to burn all three eggs.
Kasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 10:11 PM   #23
Tape432

Not really sure if this is something that one would consider noteworthy, but there is an area or two that can't be passed while solo-ing with a certain loadout.

First up is the Cargo Elevator. If you don't carry some sort of weapon which deals ranged damage you cant blow the barrels that cause the pipe to knock down the bridge to cross the gap.

For example, I just discovered that carrying a chainsaw, freeze sentry, and tesla trap renders me unable to complete the level, since none of these will hurt a barrel.

I'm going to assume the same happens in the sewers, where you must blow open the grate before the four shield bugs.
This is a very stupid topic considering there are always weapons lying around which you can pick up, discard after use and continue to use your normal setup.
Old 12th Aug 2010, 12:35 AM   #24
truecrisis

Quote:
The area in sewers doesnt require you to blow up the barrels, you can just destroy the wood pillar holding up the swing thing. I've done it personally.

Quote:
I believe I've seen someone push the pipe down without blowing up the barrels.
truecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2010, 10:04 AM   #25
MiffedUser

Originally Posted by Tape432: ( link to post ) 
This is a very stupid topic considering there are always weapons lying around which you can pick up, discard after use and continue to use your normal setup.
Not on the elevator. Play again and you'll see there are no weapons laying around to pick up. And true crisis, it was already explained.
Old 17th Aug 2010, 05:51 PM   #26
Zebra

You can get through the knock-downable pipe. Its kind of a lucky thing, so I guess you better play as Vegas when you do it. It can mess up so just be careful about it.

Also, to everyone else: the OP is aware that you pick weapons to suit the map. But to anyone who's actually doing a 'challenge' sort of run using no weapons whatsoever, then it can become a problem since nothing is outright telling the player, "Hey, you can't do that sort of thing in -this map-" instead of letting the player discover that for himself.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 07:09 PM   #27
BioSnark

Cargo is passable w/o lowering the bridge. In addition to above just run along the edge of the pit.

Tags
poorequipmentchoice