Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm Forums > Alien Swarm Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2nd Aug 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
MiffedUser
New Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
Impassable Level Design

Not really sure if this is something that one would consider noteworthy, but there is an area or two that can't be passed while solo-ing with a certain loadout.

First up is the Cargo Elevator. If you don't carry some sort of weapon which deals ranged damage you cant blow the barrels that cause the pipe to knock down the bridge to cross the gap.

For example, I just discovered that carrying a chainsaw, freeze sentry, and tesla trap renders me unable to complete the level, since none of these will hurt a barrel.

I'm going to assume the same happens in the sewers, where you must blow open the grate before the four shield bugs.

Last edited by MiffedUser; 2nd Aug 2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Spelling
MiffedUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 02:22 AM   #2
Machine
Member
 
Machine's Avatar
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: TuF Forums
Posts: 5,829
Good sir, is this a problem with level design or a problem with your loadout? Correct tools for the task and all that... you wouldn't go clay pigeon shooting with a boxing glove would you?

__________________
~TuF~
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 03:28 AM   #3
immortius
Member
 
immortius's Avatar
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: NX128EZ061 - The main planet
Posts: 3,117
Eh, if you want impassable - it is possible to brick the offline level regardless of loadout. You can actually skip hacking to collect data at the midway point and proceed down the elevator. You end up at the exit, unable to complete the mission and unable to return to collect the data.
__________________
Immortius' Forge
immortius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 04:16 AM   #4
Keggie
Member
 
Keggie's Avatar
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: following your foot falls...
Posts: 2,004
Impassable you say... i take it you havnt tried bumping into the bridge itself? cannot recall if i was using chainsaw or just pushing against it but you dont have to explode the barrel to lower the bridge but mach and imort are right, you should pick the right tools for the job in hand..

and as for sewers i think it also might be possible.. i havnt tested it but for some reason i recall passing that one bit without exploding the barrel.. but im not sure if it was a ranged weapon that triggered something else off or not
__________________
[E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 05:10 AM   #5
Informant
New Member
 
Informant's Avatar
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Location: Frankfurt a. M., Germany
Posts: 1
Afaik in sewers, there is a spare rifle laying around right where you have to shoot the barrel.
Informant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 05:12 AM   #6
Keggie
Member
 
Keggie's Avatar
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: following your foot falls...
Posts: 2,004
i was refuring to the section before that where when you hit the barrel it starts the slowmo, metal rail swings down and pushes the crate into the fence to knock it over
__________________
[E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 05:23 AM   #7
NeuroFunkeR
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: My headphones
Posts: 637
woo sewers, rushed it on insane with teslas and freezing grenades, ftw!
NeuroFunkeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 05:23 AM   #8
NeuroFunkeR
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Location: My headphones
Posts: 637
 Originally Posted by Machine: ( link to post ) 
now we all know, whats your favorite sex toy, sir!

Last edited by NeuroFunkeR; 3rd Aug 2010 at 01:23 PM.
NeuroFunkeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 06:15 AM   #9
Machine
Member
 
Machine's Avatar
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: TuF Forums
Posts: 5,829
Go away.
__________________
~TuF~
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 08:43 AM   #10
Chainsaws
Member
 
Chainsaws's Avatar
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,424
 Originally Posted by Informant: ( link to post ) 
Afaik in sewers, there is a spare rifle laying around right where you have to shoot the barrel.
You, sir, win a prize!

It has been noted that on residential the northernmost room with the eggs in requires a tech but you can get there without one. Can someone confirm this is true? I'm not sure if we started without a tech or we lost him half way but the mission didn't end.
__________________
One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
-
The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome
Chainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 08:50 AM   #11
BiG_D
Super Moderator
 
BiG_D's Avatar
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Inches above the ban button
Posts: 4,064
That door is bashable, and the map doesn't require a tech.
__________________
It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.
BiG_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 01:16 PM   #12
MiffedUser
New Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
 Originally Posted by keg: ( link to post ) 
Impassable you say... i take it you havnt tried bumping into the bridge itself? cannot recall if i was using chainsaw or just pushing against it but you dont have to explode the barrel to lower the bridge but mach and imort are right, you should pick the right tools for the job in hand..

and as for sewers i think it also might be possible.. i havnt tested it but for some reason i recall passing that one bit without exploding the barrel.. but im not sure if it was a ranged weapon that triggered something else off or not
Maybe I should, but I also think you shouldn't be required to bring a weapon you don't want to use, outside of weapons needed to destroy enemies like BioMass.

Residential makes you bring a flamer. Some levels make you bring a tech. Some levels are unbeatable with certain loadouts, such as the one I mentioned. There are no spare weapons you can pick up temporarily on Cargo Elevator, and there's no warning saying you must bring a certain weapon type with you.

As for bashing the bridge, no, it didn't work. I punched the bridge, the barrels, the pipe that rolls onto the bridge, used a chainsaw on them, and nothing happened.

A simple fix would be to have some sort of weapon sitting around for you to pick up, like the mining lasers on Timor.

Last edited by MiffedUser; 3rd Aug 2010 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Additional info.
MiffedUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Keggie
Member
 
Keggie's Avatar
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: following your foot falls...
Posts: 2,004
 Originally Posted by MiffedUser: ( link to post ) 
Maybe I should, but I also think you shouldn't be required to bring a weapon you don't want to use, outside of weapons needed to destroy enemies like BioMass.
yeah well i believe its suposed to be a 4 player co-op game where you can work out between you the best equipment for the map and you work together to do the map, if you want to do speed runs or just go at it alone then you do the maps as they are made..

 Originally Posted by MiffedUser: ( link to post ) 
Residential makes you bring a flamer. Some levels make you bring a tech. Some levels are unbeatable with certain loadouts, such as the one I mentioned. There are no spare weapons you can pick up temporarily on Cargo Elevator, and there's no warning saying you must bring a certain weapon type with you.

As for bashing the bridge, no, it didn't work. I punched the bridge, the barrels, the pipe that rolls onto the bridge, used a chainsaw on them, and nothing happened.
try again, i know iv done it before and iv just tested it again and did it fine... have another go, if you still cannot work it out i will do a demo or somthing..
__________________
[E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 02:30 PM   #14
MiffedUser
New Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
 Originally Posted by keg: ( link to post ) 
yeah well i believe its suposed to be a 4 player co-op game where you can work out between you the best equipment for the map and you work together to do the map, if you want to do speed runs or just go at it alone then you do the maps as they are made..



try again, i know iv done it before and iv just tested it again and did it fine... have another go, if you still cannot work it out i will do a demo or somthing..

But there's also the possibility of running it solo. The "It's a co-op game" thing doesn't really fly there. The point I'm making is that if you're gonna have an obstacle that can't be passed, without warning before the mission starts, then add a dropped weapon, or put a warning when trying to start the game.


I'd appreciate a demo, if you wouldn't mind. I'm running and pushing against the bridge, at ground level and on the little catwalk above. It's doing nothing. I'm trying it on the pipe as well, and no go. Melee isn't doing anything, and neither is the chainsaw.

Upon trying it again, melee only works (for me) if you punch it from the end, and even then, you have to punch it past the hole, and run along a narrow ledge. It doesn't fall onto the hole, making a bridge. Thanks though.

Last edited by MiffedUser; 3rd Aug 2010 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Correction
MiffedUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Keggie
Member
 
Keggie's Avatar
 
Registered: Aug 2005
Location: following your foot falls...
Posts: 2,004
if your going to run it solo then you should know the map anyway and should know what equipment to take for it but i guess my view is dif from yours and that will be the end of it

demo for you and anyone else who wants to know, you need the chainsaw, not tried punch or powerfist


edit fix link.. i think
http://h1.ripway.com/keg/bridge.zip


edit 2 -

and on sewer run also you dont need to blow the barrel, you can chainsaw the pillar to make the bar drop and open the gate
__________________
[E.D.G]Keggie - All that is yours is allready mine
Thievery - Hanse's, Market, Mutator List
AlienSwarm2k4 - Nighide Research Facility
Videos - YouTube

Last edited by Keggie; 3rd Aug 2010 at 03:39 PM.
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 03:52 PM   #16
Machine
Member
 
Machine's Avatar
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: TuF Forums
Posts: 5,829
 Originally Posted by MiffedUser: ( link to post ) 
The "It's a co-op game" thing doesn't really fly there.
Yes it does. Read the game description.

 Quote:
Tactical, 4 player co-op action game with a top-down perspective
Keg is correct. Adjust your loadout.
__________________
~TuF~
Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 08:32 PM   #17
Fuzzy Bunny
Member
 
Fuzzy Bunny's Avatar
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Location: In before Moses
Posts: 4,002
 Originally Posted by Chainsaws: ( link to post ) 
You, sir, win a prize!

It has been noted that on residential the northernmost room with the eggs in requires a tech but you can get there without one. Can someone confirm this is true? I'm not sure if we started without a tech or we lost him half way but the mission didn't end.
The marksman rifle also shoots through the door. That's about the only good use I've found for it...
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 09:20 PM   #18
Aggamemnon
Member
 
Aggamemnon's Avatar
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 2,373
Just chainsaws through it.
__________________
How TuF are you?
League of Legends
Bloodbowl by Extensions
Aggamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Aug 2010, 09:24 PM   #19
MiffedUser
New Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
 Originally Posted by Aggamemnon: ( link to post ) 
Just chainsaws through it.
If you stand against the door and throw a Tesla trap, it will go through the door and land on the other side. At least, it used to. Haven't tried lately.
MiffedUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2010, 02:06 AM   #20
westy
Member
 
westy's Avatar
 
Registered: Aug 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 444
I've seen someone use the precision rifle to shoot the eggs through the door.
__________________
Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).
westy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2010, 02:22 AM   #21
Ki!ler-Mk1
Member
 
Ki!ler-Mk1's Avatar
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Location: Boston, England
Posts: 2,013
 Originally Posted by MiffedUser: ( link to post ) 
But there's also the possibility of running it solo. The "It's a co-op game" thing doesn't really fly there. The point I'm making is that if you're gonna have an obstacle that can't be passed, without warning before the mission starts, then add a dropped weapon, or put a warning when trying to start the game.
I think that "this mission requires minimum 2 marines" covers it quite well.
__________________
Alien Swarm Map List
Ki!ler-Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Aug 2010, 08:37 AM   #22
Kasto
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2004
Posts: 119
In residential near top left you can trigger the bomber bug, run near the door and with some luck a bomb will bounce off the door far enough in to the room to burn all three eggs.
Kasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2010, 10:11 PM   #23
Tape432
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 45
 Originally Posted by MiffedUser: ( link to post ) 
Not really sure if this is something that one would consider noteworthy, but there is an area or two that can't be passed while solo-ing with a certain loadout.

First up is the Cargo Elevator. If you don't carry some sort of weapon which deals ranged damage you cant blow the barrels that cause the pipe to knock down the bridge to cross the gap.

For example, I just discovered that carrying a chainsaw, freeze sentry, and tesla trap renders me unable to complete the level, since none of these will hurt a barrel.

I'm going to assume the same happens in the sewers, where you must blow open the grate before the four shield bugs.
This is a very stupid topic considering there are always weapons lying around which you can pick up, discard after use and continue to use your normal setup.
__________________
"The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion."
Arthur C. Clarke
Tape432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Aug 2010, 12:35 AM   #24
truecrisis
New Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 3
 Quote:
I'm going to assume the same happens in the sewers, where you must blow open the grate before the four shield bugs.
The area in sewers doesnt require you to blow up the barrels, you can just destroy the wood pillar holding up the swing thing. I've done it personally.

 Quote:
First up is the Cargo Elevator. If you don't carry some sort of weapon which deals ranged damage you cant blow the barrels that cause the pipe to knock down the bridge to cross the gap.
I believe I've seen someone push the pipe down without blowing up the barrels.
truecrisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Aug 2010, 10:04 AM   #25
MiffedUser
New Member
 
Registered: Jul 2010
Posts: 14
 Originally Posted by Tape432: ( link to post ) 
This is a very stupid topic considering there are always weapons lying around which you can pick up, discard after use and continue to use your normal setup.
Not on the elevator. Play again and you'll see there are no weapons laying around to pick up. And true crisis, it was already explained.
MiffedUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 05:51 PM   #26
Zebra
New Member
 
Zebra's Avatar
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Posts: 3
You can get through the knock-downable pipe. Its kind of a lucky thing, so I guess you better play as Vegas when you do it. It can mess up so just be careful about it.

Also, to everyone else: the OP is aware that you pick weapons to suit the map. But to anyone who's actually doing a 'challenge' sort of run using no weapons whatsoever, then it can become a problem since nothing is outright telling the player, "Hey, you can't do that sort of thing in -this map-" instead of letting the player discover that for himself.
Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Aug 2010, 07:09 PM   #27
BioSnark
New Member
 
BioSnark's Avatar
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Posts: 1
Cargo is passable w/o lowering the bridge. In addition to above just run along the edge of the pit.
__________________
BioSnark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
poorequipmentchoice


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Level lighting design and layout Denny Nightblade Discussion 12 17th Mar 2008 12:28 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.