Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm Forums > Alien Swarm Discussion

Old 19th Aug 2010, 04:52 PM   #1
Junglist

Bugs encountered.

Dont know if this is the right place but thought i would fill you in on some bugs.
  • Joining through dedicated browser can sometimes hang and pauses doing nothing forcing me to quit. Maybe its when slots have been filled? (Although happened a couple of times is a rare occurence, all im left with is the server browser window and seeing the aliens run around in background, it cant make it to loading screen - could dedi server have closed down at exact time of join? - i will have to pay attention and make sure it is not certain servers).
  • When a person crashes on char selection (they click ready and suddenly vanish) their character is not released straight away, when you try to pick them it brings you back out and leaves ghosted weapon selection on mouse hover.
  • A person joined on Deima i think it was and started a votemap whilst in-game and it said there is no tech alive in pop up vote box.
  • Deletion of Alien Swarm dedicated server in tools deletes Alien swarm too. No other game does this.
  • Friendly fire seems to count with suicides - if infected and no more heals left i shoot a nade either into an oncoming alien right by me or just before i die so it explodes as the parasites do out my body.. i dont think it should class as a penalty.
That is it so far.

Last edited by Junglist; 21st Aug 2010 at 12:19 PM.
Junglist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Aug 2010, 12:08 PM   #2
Junglist

Chaining adrenalines (pressing adrenaline at about 5% or less of current adrenaline) does not loop the stim tune, it carries on, on second chain but then all music is lost after.
Old 22nd Aug 2010, 08:39 AM   #3
Kein

Tesla usage has the same bug as Jetpack before - with high ping it consumes ammo but do not shoot.
Since it was made weaker this bug is urgent for me now :<
Kein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Felix

You can set up your sentry BEHIND a closed/welded door!
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Junglist

When your behind a closed door and you use flamer it also looks like the flame is going through the door although it doesnt burn enemies.

Another in-game one, which i cannot see intended is when an alien is flying down like at cargo elevator and the first rock pile at timor station your character not only looks into the air but he also aims there, if your shooting at the alien in front it does not shoot him, nor the alien in the air but the direction he is looking (facing north but shooting south) causing FF .. some situations you can get infected too.

At lobby screen i have full exp bar yet at summary screen after completing mission shows real exp progress (this might change though one i hit 5th pormotion - i was already end of promotion level 3 - it still seems to think im at the end once promoted) although on a created friends only game with only me playing it was bouncing up and down not reporting real experience. Also my stats have not changed to new star (love the 4th star btw).

Friendly fire stats dont seem to report correctly either.

On residential a parasite jumped out as i burned egg, it pushed me over the roof into a jail like position (see screenshot).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asi-jac4-residential0004.jpg (327.7 KB, 14 views)
Old 25th Aug 2010, 10:37 AM   #6
lightfoot

Yea that was funny, I wondered how you got there.

About friendly fire not reporting correctly all the time, happened to me too. Stats said "zero FF" for me, but I had just gunned down someone with shotgun, TK-message and everything.

It definitely is possible to shoot bugs through closed doors, I think with most if not all weapons, including the flamer. Think it depends a bit on where you stand, and the angle the projectile/trace has to go to the monster of the other side. So, the door IS an obstacle for weapons, but not as solid as it looks.
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2010, 03:59 PM   #7
Junglist

First bug in first post has been confirmed due to slots. Is it a fake server? No steam? On desktop it shows no information!

I just tried to join:

91.114.217.3:8884

Even though its 4 players there is only 3 players playing, tried twice to join and instead of closing game down waited nearly 4 minutes both times before a message saying slots have been filled popped up. Maybe a server cvar to allow 1 slot for admin?

Second bug on first post has happened again, as soon as we joined map player lost internet and so i had bot, when we restarted as i hate bots, i quickly chose his character to see if it would happen and it did (see pic - i was tech before and then chose wildcat). He told me modem disconnected.

Just incase server settings also play a part it happened on:

62.182.57.105:27017

I have now hit 5th promotion and star still has not upgraded in steam page. Stats in lobby are reporting correctly though, maybe it was all the online forced single player that threw it out of whack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asi-jac7-timorstation0002.jpg (221.5 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Junglist; 26th Aug 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 27th Aug 2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Kein

Quote:
At lobby screen i have full exp bar yet at summary screen after completing mission shows real exp progress
I can confirm this one - the bar is acting very weird.

Quote:
On residential a parasite jumped out as i burned egg, it pushed me over the roof into a jail like position (see screenshot).
I have encountered a similar issue: due to high ping, a swarm can make you "jump" very high, so, you're able to reach the limited area (a "roof") on Sewer Junction: http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/656...unction000.jpg
Old 27th Aug 2010, 09:07 PM   #9
Junglist

Yeah the bar doesnt seem to be so perfect anymore.

Mine definitely was not due to high ping, i will not play on servers above 100 as it spoils the game having the aliens be jittery and hit you when at a distance. Really hate that elastic band feeling you get with high latency aswell. Cant be sure but i dont think the rest of the team had high pings.

Ive just noticed another bug in stats.. i just posted an idea in suggestions thread and then took it out after realising friendly fire stats do not match up to weapon stats for FF. The profile in question is:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198028845867/stats/AlienSwarm?tab=stats&subtab=overview

As you see 701 million but the weapon ones differ.

The post i just deleted was (not sure if you have an admin bin here):
 Quote:
The other day i was curious to players stats with the team i was with regarding friendly fire. I encountered one which had 700 million and only dealt 10k kills to aliens. I think regarding lightfoots suggestion maybe something should be done when the ratio is absurd, some people might like the idea of going back to level 1 on final promotion so not that but i dont know, a penalty of some sorts or a way of noticing an obvious griefer. hitting 1 bill of damage to team without even 10k to aliens shows they are not a team player!

Unfortunately in-game griefers are like forum trolls, they try to be sneaky (what they call clever) about it and as your pretty much playing with new players everyday a lot of players will not even realise.
Old 28th Aug 2010, 06:07 AM   #10
Keggie

Bug 1 - The quick join Server Brouser lies, since the update about.. 30% of the time iv joined a game in "briefing" it has in fact been 3 quaters the way through the map

Complaint 1 - also since the update more and more often when i try and do a quick join, if it doesnt connect to a server it creates its own server.. can you make this a setting or somthing to remove/stop it? the whole point of the join button is to join a game, if i wanted to make a server id use the create button..

Suggestion 1 - add in "invite only" or passworded games plz! im getting fed up of been kicked for joining speed run games where they dont want you, or the numpties who just appear to play the easaier maps over and over to bump up there xp

part from that its still awsome ^^
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2010, 02:41 PM   #11
Kein

Ah, more info about the 2nd bug I described here: it happens when marine collision is enabled and when you have a high ping.

Quote:
First bug in first post has been confirmed due to slots.
Have you tried to check the console info what is going on when the connection process got stalled? Usually, it's just you can't reach the host (NAT, Proxy, etc).
Old 29th Aug 2010, 08:07 PM   #12
Kein

http://a.imageshack.us/img31/1522/as...gbay010008.jpg

http://a.imageshack.us/img833/9256/asijac2deima0001.jpg

D

Dunno why.
Old 5th Sep 2010, 06:52 PM   #13
Junglist

Originally Posted by Kein: ( link to post ) 
Have you tried to check the console info what is going on when the connection process got stalled? Usually, it's just you can't reach the host (NAT, Proxy, etc).
Ok, just jumped in game and server hopped to find out if it would happen again as other server doesnt exist now.

Wasnt about slots this time with message that eventually appeared, it was session is no longer available..

Console info is:

Connecting to public(109.169.20.28:27015) ...
311.062: Sending UDP connect to public IP 109.169.20.28:27015
Server using 'public' lobbies, requiring pw no, lobby id 0
RememberIPAddressForLobby: lobby 0 from address 109.169.20.28:27015
Grace request retry for unreserved server...
Retrying public(109.169.20.28:27015) ...
311.099: Sending UDP connect to public IP 109.169.20.28:27015
Server using 'public' lobbies, requiring pw no, lobby id 0
RememberIPAddressForLobby: lobby 0 from address 109.169.20.28:27015
Server approved grace request...
Retrying connection to 109.169.20.28:27015, server requires lobby reservation but is unreserved.
Received game details information from 109.169.20.28:27015...

Another bug: Sometimes mortor bugs freeze when theyve had more than one stun by the tesla gun. If its intentional i dont believe it should outright just make them dormant but just an increased stun time.