Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Mapping

Notices

Old 5th Oct 2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Keggie

Question Weapons and Campaign Picture Questions

One was bored and started making a map or two, i know the mod's pretty much dead but that dont bother me pretty much finished but i got a few questions...

1 - Telic Weapons - Do i add them all via map actors or does a mutator from ERR or Telic add them automaticaly?

2 - Extra Stims - i like the extra slot for stims, i'm guessing that part of the ERR/Telic Mutator but can i just use that or would i have to recode a new one as they contain other information that could cause problems?

3 - Campaign Pic's - i have pictures for each map and the main picture for the lobby, however none of these pictures appear when i load the campaign, i know the pictures have loaded correctly when compiled (checked in unrealed after in the campaign file and they are all listed) and are correct size (checked other campaigns), but dont have a clue why they dont load in game... any thoughts?
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2012, 12:30 PM   #2
lightfoot

1 - several methods are possible. The mutator method used by the Telic/EFR campaigns adds the surplus weapons globally AND makes them availiable at the lobby.
If you just want an extra gun to be found as a pickup inside the map, things are easier, cos you don't need the extra actors that change the lobby.
If you look into a Telic map, or others like maybe Sulfure or BehemothTournament, you will find some extra actors called 'Equip restriction' or the actor adding helmets. You don't exactly need these, unless you want the Teslagun to be availiable or have a Telic Hazardvolume (The one that 'removes the air'). Have a look into the code, it isn't too complex.
Short answer: yes, the Telic Mutator adds the Telic Weaponry, so when the Mutator runs, you don't need to do anything else.

(If you want the further EFR or Rift stuff, or even The Optionsmut, just call those mutators, they are child classes, so they will invoke the Telic Mutator automatically. Look into the Mutator thread for info how to start with a specific config.)

2 - Yes, those extra slot stims are made availiable by the Telic mutator too (and by the above-mentioned follow-ups). If it doesn't work, try 'mutate allon' to command the MutTelic to activate all options on next map start. The Telic manual has more info.

3 - If you are talking about the pix in the briefing sections of some maps, I remember it was kinda easy to have them running. Just import the texture into the myLevel, then link it via the mission description. Think it was in the 'objective' actor properties, same place where the text goes. You could even have a DummyObjective to add more pictures or text.
I remember some format oddities, like the texture appearing twice as wide as it actually is, but apart from that there were no problems with that procedure.

Any further questions, keep 'em coming.
I am curious what you come up with. And if you need fellow testers/players, I am here.

Last edited by lightfoot; 6th Oct 2012 at 12:42 PM.
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Oct 2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Keggie

so short answer is yes telic mut does everything i want, cool ty. wasnt sure if i had to combine it will map actors etc. i got 2 maps with the helmets in all ready and iv coded a special refill air actor for my maps too, 1 person has the air tank, and has to restock it if they want more

nar i didnt mean the briefing pictures, got them fine, was the campaign images in the single player lobby section, telic and EFR i think both have wireframe view shots of the levels. figured it out tho, way i was coding them where fine with no errors, but in game it couldnt load them, checked log for info on that.

no more questions! campagin is pretty much finished, does need testers etc as im no swarm player but makes more sence to just release a public beta considering how few players there are.. (which im aiming for tuesday btw for release... set myself a deadline a month ago )
Videos - YouTube
Old 6th Oct 2012, 08:59 PM   #4
lightfoot

special refill actor? but the Telic o2-tank already IS able to refill fellow marines...
well I guess it will make sense somehow. so tuesday, hm?

if a server is needed for testing, that's what the Space Engineers place is for. Just shoot the maps to X-newbie for installment. Quite sure he wouldn't want to miss it anyway.
Old 7th Oct 2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Keggie

i mean the a single tank only has 8 uses, then its gone, my actor refills that again, so you can refill the airtank back to 8 again, or does that exsist allready?
Videos - YouTube
Old 10th Oct 2012, 03:49 AM   #6
Keggie

next question - in the tutorial mission, theres a point where you have to postion marines on different spots before the swarm come, anyone know if this code works online at all?
Videos - YouTube
Old 11th Oct 2012, 10:32 AM   #7
lightfoot

I have no idea. maybe make a test map and ask Rob to install it.

the quicker way would be to launch a dedicated server, and then connect to it from the same machine, for testing such things.
Old 2nd Nov 2012, 12:44 PM   #8
reemulmyu

i remember something about this ,the tutorial was specific to single player ,you could try cutting the code from tut map ,cant recall who did the coding though be better to ask the devs