Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm Forums > Alien Swarm Discussion

Old 12th May 2005, 11:10 AM   #1
kc.pwns.gman

Available over steam?

Is it going to be available for purchace over steam, and registered, or will it be on its own, like Bloodlines? Even though steam is Valve's, I am sure you can arrange a deal with them.
kc.pwns.gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 11:29 AM   #2
Phantaloz

Valve IS the one who asked them to make it to Source!

Am I right? I got it that way when I read the announcement

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy
Phantaloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2005, 04:28 PM   #3
Ki!ler-Mk1

i never noticed that?
Ki!ler-Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 01:34 PM   #4
Carth

The announcement in IRC:

Code:
[ 8:17 ] [@Dalai] http://pc.ign.com/articles/608/608624p1.html?fromint=1
[ 8:18 ] [+BiG_D] !
[ 8:18 ] [+BiG_D] That's rather big
[ 8:29 ] * Butters has joined #Swarm.Pickup
[ 8:29 ] * SwarmPickup set +v Butters
[ 8:29 ] [+Butters] ^^
[ 8:29 ] [+smattbac] people sure pay attention to this channel :P
[ 8:29 ] [+BiG_D] So either the entire channel is speechless...
[ 8:29 ] [+Butters] news spread fast
[ 8:35 ] [+EvenDarkerBOB] i trust no llamas!
[ 8:36 ] [+BiG_D] So, Dalai, how far along the development cycle is it? ;)
[ 8:36 ] [+Phantaloz] 0,000000000001% done?
[ 8:38 ] [@Dalai] it's still pretty early, yes. we're going to need those two custom swarm campaigns to fill the gap =)
[ 8:38 ] [+Phantaloz] just got from playing thievery...God I suck at it
[ 8:39 ] [+BiG_D] :)
[ 8:39 ] [+Butters] Dalai : how did this come about ? did valve contact you guys ?
[ 8:41 ] [+[TK]Cpt-Exo] ohemefge!
[ 8:41 ] [+[TK]Cpt-Exo] Dalai speaks :o
[ 8:41 ] [+Phantaloz] lol
[ 8:41 ] [@Dalai] yes, some of the guys at valve love alien swarm :)
[ 8:41 ] [+[TK]Cpt-Exo] neat
[ 8:41 ] [+Butters] ^^ quite a challenge, and surely great news :D
[ 8:41 ] [+fluff|afk] wow

[ 10:07 ] * Phantaloz has quit. [Ping timeout]
Tbh what Dalai said is too ambiguous to draw any conclusions at all from, other than the guys at Valve liking Alien Swarm.
Old 13th May 2005, 03:35 PM   #5
Phantaloz

Originally Posted by Carth:
Code:
[ 8:41 ] [+fluff|afk] wow

How nice of you

But anyway, seems like I did know this one

Old 13th May 2005, 04:09 PM   #6
Carth

I just put what was in the log
Old 13th May 2005, 04:13 PM   #7
WildBill

I'd be quite surprised if it wasn't available over Steam.
Old 13th May 2005, 09:00 PM   #8
Baz

i really dont spend enough time on irc
ive only seen that around 6 times
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 05:24 AM   #9
Meta

Hahaa! Half-life 2 wont be coming to shops anymore! ...The seller of HL2 didnt like that VALVE sold HL2 throught STEAM too... so the seller left and HL2 wont be coming to shops anymore =)
[HL2]
Old 14th May 2005, 06:37 AM   #10
Ki!ler-Mk1

that, isnt a good thing.
Old 14th May 2005, 07:17 AM   #11
MjrHuRTz

Originally Posted by Valve's Doug Lombardi:
We are making arrangements to continue retail distribution of our products post August 31. Should have more details to share soon.
MjrHuRTz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 08:21 AM   #12
Phantaloz

Originally Posted by Meta:
Hahaa! Half-life 2 wont be coming to shops anymore! ...The seller of HL2 didnt like that VALVE sold HL2 throught STEAM too... so the seller left and HL2 wont be coming to shops anymore =)
[HL2]
Well, after Valve and Vivendi (the publisher) sorted out things in the courtroom, Valve decided to drop the cases and quit working with Vivendi as the publisher. Now there are two chances:

1. Valve gets a new publisher
2. We'll have to buy the game before August 30th

Anyway, Valve is digging up their own grave if they won't get a new publisher, I've had some really bad exprience with Steam and I don't know if I'd trust it on the buying thingy...And anyway, I don't have a credit card

But I don't really care, there's plenty of time to buy it before the boxes go out of stores

Old 14th May 2005, 12:05 PM   #13
Carth

Originally Posted by Baz:
i really dont spend enough time on irc
ive only seen that around 6 times
It only happens nearly every minute!
Old 14th May 2005, 12:29 PM   #14
Ki!ler-Mk1

i bought halflife silver, worth it i reckon, and day of deteat source will be out with that too.
Old 14th May 2005, 02:16 PM   #15
DaBebop

Valve is really trying to push the idea of Steam where you can buy all your games online...not leaving your house to buy a game and ultimately looking like Gabe
DaBebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2005, 02:44 PM   #16
MjrHuRTz

Originally Posted by DaBebop:
Valve is really trying to push the idea of Steam where you can buy all your games online...not leaving your house to buy a game and ultimately looking like Gabe
ROFL thats genius
Old 14th May 2005, 06:12 PM   #17
SpamSlayer

Sooo.....will it be avaible through steam?

I just read topic, maybe i missed it?

BTW: Who will be publishing Alien Swarm: Infested commercial version? Black Cat Games?
Old 14th May 2005, 08:44 PM   #18
| MM |

Would be cool if there was steam distribution. The could even sell retail through steam as well.
Old 19th May 2005, 04:59 AM   #19
Phantaloz

I just gotta ask this pretty off-topic question:

So the Steam selling system takes you money from a card, sets your account so that you can download H-L2 to install and play...Won't this mean AFTER you have downloaded the game for yourself, you can just go to your friends house, download it there too and install and play...Even if it would be only SP for the other guy, wouldn't that be pretty bad for the Valve's money situation...Because the downloadable thing wouldn't need a CD like the commercial ones and even if you would think "You can just download a no-CD-crack", those cracks really bug up your games and sometimes your computers...

Old 19th May 2005, 10:12 AM   #20
MjrHuRTz

yeah thats possible, as long as they dont try and log in at the same time. If the one person blocks steam from the internet with a firewall, it will load in off line mode and they can play HL2 SP fine. thats what i did before i bough a copy anyways..
Certainly worth it though
Old 20th May 2005, 04:30 PM   #21
| MM |

The steam system works pretty well, like i have two computers with my valve games installed under the same account and i can play them simultaeniously. So both comp running an internet game of CS:S. All that steam requires, is for your username and password to be reentered, if you normally have it saved.

You would be able to install Hl2 on a friends computer, but as soon as steam is logged out of, and unless he knows your username and password, he wont be able to log back into steam to access the games saved to his computer.
Old 20th May 2005, 05:53 PM   #22
Carth

You can have more than one person playing on the same Steam account? Surely not.
Old 21st May 2005, 05:03 AM   #23
Ki!ler-Mk1

both pc's behind the same IP?
i duno if that would work but i heard if the same acc is logged in twice and someone tries to load a hl2 key both get banned or something??
Old 11th Jun 2005, 12:29 PM   #24
nEmoGrinder

Angry

up until about a week or two ago I loved steam, thought it was the future of video games...then I couldn't log into my account because it had apparently been hacked into. someone must have gotten a hold of my password and username (I usually use the same password for everything so yes I realize it is partly my fault) so I contacted steam and asked them to help me out. They were all friendly and asked for my proof of purchase and such and after providing them with PLENTY of proof they gave a new password for my account. YAY!

well...I thought yay...

because I had asked them to look into what happened, once I got my accoutn information back, my account had been disabled. because someone had gotten a hold of my account and apparently they were trying to sell it for money, it was disabled. ok, thats great, now I can get it off that site and change the password and start playing again, right? wrong. apparently they blame me for 'sharing' my account information and won't give me back my account. that onver 100 dolalrs lost that I spent on half life and half life 2 as well as over 300 dollars I spent on a new motherboard and video card just to play the source engine how it was meant to be played. ooooooo I'm pissed. I hate steam, they're have no remourse for people who have their accoutns stolen, and they aren't even responding to me anymore when I try to figure out what the hell happened.

if anyone wants to give me a suggestion as to what to do....

anyways, steam is a bad idea, I like the whole, you buy a cd, you instal it, you play the game idea better than this. or at least protect the innocent...or re-emburse my damn money! bastards...

ya.....so steam sucks and if you can manage to avoid it, do it, but the way its set up I sadly dont think you can.
nEmoGrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Jun 2005, 12:36 PM   #25
Mek

I think that goes more along the lines of being a life lesson nEmoGrinder. Are you going to use the same password for everything from now on?
Old 11th Jun 2005, 12:43 PM   #26
nEmoGrinder

no, but that's beside the point, nobody knows the password so whats the difference if I use it for everything? my girlfriend knows it....but she would prefer to play harvest moon. Unless I registered for a forum or a website and they assumed I had steam and tried my confidential information as a login and password....but thats unlikely. I was probably hacked (I had a problem with holes in my security, even with trend micro) so having the same password for everything had probably less to do with it than anything else.

my point is that although they are quick to respond, they're all jerks. they even say in the help forums that if this happens to you, to buy another copy of the game. if thats not blatantly taking advantage of people than I dont know what is.
Old 11th Jun 2005, 01:09 PM   #27
Mek

Well you could always file a complaint with the better business bureau. There is a difference between actively sharing your information and having an internet b&e I will agree.

Another solution might be that you could effectively sue the person that stole your account for damages and fraud. Contrary to popular belief you do not need the name and address of a person to start a lawsuit. You can file based entirely on the ip and the ISP would be responsible for passing it on. Depending on where the person lives it would be a federal crime.

BTW it is insanely easy for an unscroupulous forum or site administrator to have unhashed passwords stored. Keep that in mind when you are registering.
Old 11th Jun 2005, 01:29 PM   #28
nEmoGrinder

maybe if I tell steam that I plan on doing that they'll help me out a bit...or just give me my accoutn back. I'm sure they want to catch these people just as bad as I do. although if they can see his account and they know of websites where this trading is taking place why don't they shut it down instead of just disabling every account they see? if you ask me that's just them being lazy, and it's effecting people's gaming experience. which is why I think steam is a horrible idea.

would it be possible to build a different platform to play online using the source engine without actually going through steam?
Old 11th Jun 2005, 02:39 PM   #29
Phantaloz

It won't help you to fight against Steam, either you win and get your account back but nothing changes or you lose after all you've done and you get nothing...Valve is so arrogant, they say "The only way your account name and password or the CD-key have gone to another person is that you have told them"...I mean come on!

Maybe I did so, I gave my CD-key away, but it was already long before Steam and when this "Steam" came everyone wasn't aware of it (like me) and there goes the friend I borrowed my H-L and makes an account which probably still exists, but I don't know what friend and if I knew he probably wouldn't remember the account+password...

In your case...The same account and password for everything is like I do, but I have 2-3 passwords, but I can't make everything a separate one because...Hell I remember anything

But back to Steam: They say that Steam CANNOT be hacked in any way...How arrogant is that?!?! I mean come on, Valve says "The ultimate anti-cheat system" and everyone else says "Nah, it's just a little setback"...And resetting the CD-key? send your CD+10$+postingfees to Valve and they'll make a new one...

Anyway, I'm just going to hope my H-L2 will work fine, I just can't understand Valve's sometimes REALLY STUPID ideas...Great games, bad programs.

Continues downloads, cannot find games (you must download the games even if you have the CD [at least I have to and a couple of people I've heard]), continues internet connection to play single player (what the hell was that idea anyway) and so on and so on...

Old 11th Jun 2005, 04:41 PM   #30
Carth

How have you got Half-Life 1 with Steam?