Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 4th Jun 2005, 07:27 PM   #1
VisPater3x3

Singleplayer gametype idea

What if for a TvG like gametype where instead of just being able to be a thief and go against the team of AI guards; what if you could choose to be a shade or even a rogue guard and then try to complete your objectives that way. It would allow for more different playstyles, tactics, and would give the mod even more replayability offline.

I figured this might work better with Nightblade then in TUT since its geared more towards combat. I guess you can also say it's similar to RPG's where you get to choose between the thief, mage, and knight.

Level designers could even give the three classes their own objectives*, starting positions, etc. Maybe designers could allow the guard class to walk amongest the AI guards using deception to complete objectives. (Thief:TDP did this where Garrett went into the Hammerite church wearing their armor.)

*Or all have the same objectives, but each class has their own extra objective(s). Like the shade would have an objective that deals with their magic abilities, or the guard would have to kill off someone, or use his equipment to destroy something.

And sorry if my post is a mess . I'm getting more idea's while I'm typing, and so I'll just let you all discuss.
Old 4th Jun 2005, 07:56 PM   #2
Firetiger

Word is, there will be thief ai, so hopefully you'll be able to step into the shoes of a guard offline. As for the shades, i'll let someone else answer that one.
Old 5th Jun 2005, 11:28 AM   #3
VisPater3x3

I'm not talking about playing as a guard and trying to stop the AI thief though. I'll use TUT as an example - All right so when you play offline, you are stuck with only being able to choose a thief, but think about what it would be like if you could choose to be a guard but still have the thief's objectives. You would be playing more as a violent thug then a small agile thief; using brute force to loot and complete objectives. But like I said this would probably work better in Nightblade with it's more combat oriented gameplay, and would bring much more replayability.
Old 5th Jun 2005, 11:47 AM   #4
Radamanthus

Nightblade, still being under development, will have many ideas implemented. Being a fan mapper is difficult if you don't know what's going to be implemented, but as of the moment I believe most of us 3rd party guys are looking at something like th-korman, where guards have a specal objective, an Thieves have aspecial objective on top of their normal ones. Shades may battle with a thief for an objective to steal,or perhaps habve their own objective, laeding to players "using" each other to achieve their ends. Adds a while new depth to the situation.
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Old 6th Jun 2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Convict

Originally Posted by VisPater3x3:
I'm not talking about playing as a guard and trying to stop the AI thief though. I'll use TUT as an example - All right so when you play offline, you are stuck with only being able to choose a thief, but think about what it would be like if you could choose to be a guard but still have the thief's objectives. You would be playing more as a violent thug then a small agile thief; using brute force to loot and complete objectives. But like I said this would probably work better in Nightblade with it's more combat oriented gameplay, and would bring much more replayability.
Might be an interesting twist in one gametype!
Old 6th Jun 2005, 11:38 AM   #6
SpamSlayer

All I have to say is, I hope the AI for thieves know how to defend themselves when I'm killing them

Would give people more practice, EX: when your internet connection is down during a storm , and give the newbs more practice offline going against the ai, so they are more prepared for online

Only hope for me: AI thieves don't have to be protected like AI guards, but then again it might bring the team together to be more teammattey...nah