Creating a new clan: focus on teamplay and atmosphere

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating a new clan: focus on teamplay and atmosphere

Hey guys, sorry for not introducing myself till now. A lot might know me already as i'm actively playing Alien Swarm for quite some years now. I know a lot of you veterans really like to rambo in front of the rest of the team, which is fine with me.

However some of you might share my oppinion: it kind of ruins the atmosphere and the original purpose of the game, which is to proceed as a team in which marines can rely on each other (in theory at least ).
    So I'd like to create an Alien Swarm clan with focus on teamplay and atmosphere.

These are the guidelines i had in mind (they might still be changed, please post feedback&ideas below. also, exceptions can be made ingame, whenever every player agrees):
    No soloing/rambo, even if it is more efficent at some point. this doesn't mean you cannot go ahead as a demo (jaeger/sarge), but try to stay in the motion scanner range.
    No instakill weapons (shotgun, flamer, sniper) except for the demos (and very skilled players if there are not so many people playing).
    Those who have those deadly weapons never fire in the direction of the team. In case an alien slips through, they can either dance around to get a better angle, or stand still and let their allies take it out with autoaim/stun.
    No unnecessary risks, this includes not being frag-greedy.
    No abuse of glitches (roof hax etc.).

And here's the most unusual one: no restarts! If at least single marine is able to finish the mission, everyone gets revived and we play on. if all die, we start a new campaign.
    we don't have to do this every time we play, but please think about it... you can show your skills under pressure and lack of bonus stars, you can become a true hero (or martyr) in critical situations risking your life for someone else, you never have to play a mission twice in a row, you can be one of the last few survivors to finish a mission - and actually proceed instead of losing the stars in a restart.

using the right teamplay and difficulty mode "normal" it is definately possible (people automagically play better if they know whats on the line) and it increases the tension a lot. i even think we can play on higher difficulties, depending on the present players.

we've tested this today, playing cc ortega. it was even possible without using a single "revive dead marines". but i guess that turns out rather retarted as soon as there are more players than marines left. so we'd better scrap that idea.

so, whats needed to join?

you need to agree to the guidelines.

unexperienced players are welcome, as long as they are willing to learn & listen. you should have completed at least 1-2 campaigns though.

you need to know when to hold back: you don't get credit for kills, you get it for staying alive and doing your job in the team.

you should put the clantag in your name deciding the clan name by myself sounds kinda unfair. we'll do a brainstorming when meeting online.

if you are interested, feel free to post here or talk to me (or one of the others) during the game. we're not so many yet, as i only asked around once while playing Alien Swarm. i think the forum is the better place to advertise this.

I'd especially like a response from Felix or Rob, if there is a possibility that we could have a password for one of the servers at specific times. Or you might even be willing to use the guidelines as rules for one of the server, then we can do this in public

People interested so far:
    Laosh'Ra
    Pallo
    Sgt.Doom
    Mugen
    Lotuspec
    Johnathan (?)
    Xenomorph

edit: the server is up and running. please contact me if you want the password.
    Last edited by Laosh'Ra; 10th Sep 2008, 09:02 AM.

To be honest, its not a bad idea. I normally hang back a lot in maps because I don't wanna get in the way of the rambos and I don't know a lot of the maps. I just sit back and listen to moses, as hes always on the mic shouting orders, lol.
    A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him.

Comment

The "no restart" rule isn't hardcore enough for me. I cannot support this endeavor.

Comment

Psh; if you die in-game, suicide IRL.

Comment

Hey, let's not let it devolve into any cliches here.

Comment

I rather like the idea of norambo/norestart. There are some parts of the maps I rarely play because either someone else has already been there or I got lost (NO), so proceeding through the map as a team would be cool for a change.

So sign me up for the first endeavor!

Though I do not think it is a good idea to apply these rules permanently on one of the servers. When playing with some random group, you don't want anyone whining about some rules, you just want fun .
            If your looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror - V

Comment

i've talked with felix yesterday, there is a chance he&rob will set up a 3rd server for this in that case, nobody will ever whine about the rules.
              he doesnt like all aspects of the guidelines though, let's just wait how it turns out...

Comment

Also, you forgot the 'no moses' rule for your clan: a rather glaring mistake.

Comment

Instead of making this clan, why not just play on insane all the time, it seems alot easier and less hassel?

Edit: names are 12 characters, so factor this into ur clantag.
                  Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

according to felix, there should be no problem. we'll get a passworded server with riftcode equipment.

Instead of making this clan, why not just play on insane all the time, it seems alot easier and less hassel?
                    because that leads to tons of restarts, which is quite annoying after a while. it also requires more powerful weapons (yea, those who can instantly teamkill ) as the aliens have tons of health.
                    overall i dont think its insane difficulty is easier at all. unless you are teamkilled, its not that hard to complete a mission alive on normal mode. especially if all other marines are alive and ready to help out during your reloads.

Edit: names are 12 characters, so factor this into ur clantag.
                    we have two suggestions so far,
                    sgt.doom's suggestion is IAF (Interstellar Armed Forces) which is indeed a nice name and reference to the actual setting of the game.
                    i suggested @ as in AT (or A&T) as in Atmosphere&Teamplay. a single symbol should fit into any nick i guess, i'd prefer to see [@] awhereever it fits in though.
                    more suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Sign me up, believe it or not I hate rushing, Plus, you have some very good players signed up. I promise I won't kill Doom.

Edit: I have 9 Letters in my name so it would have to be a 1 letter clan name, and I an NOT going to change my name to Xenomoff. I will consider shortening my name to Xeno if I have to.
                      Last edited by Xenomorph; 1st Jul 2008, 02:50 PM. Reason: New post right before mine.
                      I solod LC on insane with a perf...I lost the demo
                      Williams Has Been Infested.
                      Williams has been killed by Jaeger (kjk).
                      (I killed Williams with a flamer!)

Comment

Originally posted by Laosh'Ra View Post
                        because that leads to tons of restarts, which is quite annoying after a while.
                        Well i dont agree with that.
                        Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Well if you don't play on a harder mode you'll never learn how to play as a team, also I don't really think that moses is shouting that much orders. He tries to keep the team alive and get people to learn the maps. Also the squad "AP*" we're there to help new players learn the maps but when asked almost no one replies to if their new or not =/
                          I think the idea of getting a own server is pretty dull for the reason of not wanting to play with more experienced players... well come on you just have to ask us to take it slower so that everyone can keep up, right?

I think the new players or less experienced players should tell us more experienced their "lvl" of ability since most players have been around long and knows the maps and such.
                          Game over man... game over!

Comment

don't get me wrong, we'll still be playing on the public servers (speaking for myself at least) especially during the times when the total number of people currently playing is quite low.
                            i also appreciate the efforts of AP*, but whats the deal with "you'll never learn on normal mode"? the purpose of the server is not to increase people's experience. it's for people who don't need to solo a mission to satisfy their ego: the point is to have fun, not to create the best possible crew of players. and everything that's needed to form a decent player can be achieved on normal mode, especially if (s)he's involved in a proper team.
                            and what i've seen over the years is, that the rambos are the ones screwing up most attempts on a mission. or they cause a lot of casaulties, either directly or by draining up most med satchels. even the unexperienced players often do better as they are just quite careful. unless on insane difficulty, yea. but you gain most experience by playing yourself, not by dying within 30 seconds, then watching the rest of the mission.
                            the more experienced players also have their challenges, as they can volunteerly pick 1-star-chars to help out the unexperienced ones. and not get hit to save the medsatchels for those who need them more. and staying alive for an entire campaign is pretty challenging on normal mode as well.
                            anyway, it's not like we'll play on normal mode ALL the time... we'll have to see how well it works out with no restarts.

I don't really think that moses is shouting that much orders. He tries to keep the team alive and get people to learn the maps.
                            this is a bit offtopic o_O
                            and no moses, no need to ban you from the clan right away but i guess your not interested anyway, it doesn't match your playing style.
                            Last edited by Laosh'Ra; 1st Jul 2008, 07:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Laosh'Ra View Post
                              i also appreciate the efforts of AP*, but whats the deal with "you'll never learn on normal mode"? the purpose of the server is not to increase people's experience. it's for people who don't need to solo a mission to satisfy their ego: the point is to have fun, not to create the best possible crew of players. and everything that's needed to form a decent player can be achieved on normal mode, especially if (s)he's involved in a proper team.
                              But normal mode is good to start with yeah, I can asure you that but that's not really the point I meant for my post. The point was that most of the "new" players have mostly achived the normal campaigns but never played on hard or atleast played more on hard then a few times. I think that the hard mode is the best since it gives a challange for the experienced and the inexperienced since they will have to help eachother more.

In normal mode most players can almost rambo I see even new players that rambo running off like they know the map but they don't I really don't call that teamplay since their running off so the medic has to run after them just to keep them alive.

Also the point of someone taking command over the squad is a helpful tip for those inexperienced and they will have a easier time staying alive. For example I'm currently playing alot with one of my mates from irl "Zerkat" he's totally new but he's having alot easier to stay alive by me giving him tips rather then typing them so I still can cover him.
                              Game over man... game over!

Comment

Working...
                              X