Explanation of All Variantions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explanation of All Variantions

I can't seem to find a good explanation for all the different variations that the common server mutators use.

Easy-Impossible: More damage more health of aliens.

Carnage: Definitely spawns way more aliens, but how many and what are the damage/health settings most similar to?

Uber: Gives a chance to spawn the very tough uber aliens, but how often, what's the difficulty, and such?

Hardcore: No idea about the specifics of this one.

Invisible/Parasite: Gives chance to spawn camo'd aliens. Anything else? What's the difficulty like?

Multi:What's the difficulty on this one?

Am I missing any other variations?

Higher difficulty causes the following: Alines deal more damage. Alines have more health. Mariens cause more friendly-fire damage. In light of a recent reminder, the malevolent architecture and the sudden stop at the end are more painful.

Carnage causes two alines (or parasites!) to spawn from a spawner -- it does not influence alines placed by the mapper. I believe they are slightly faster, but have less health.

Uber: Decently often, probably about 20%, an uber aline will come out of a spawner. They're slower, but have more health. Typically equivalent to upping the difficulty a notch. Bring your shotguns.

Hardcore: The autoaim feature included on some of the mariens' guns (autogun, P-rifle, etc.) doesn't work. Parasites kill either instantly, or near-instantly. Bring your flamethrowers.

Can't comment on the others, due to lack of experience with them.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 4 Feb 2009, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Thanks for those explanations. I think I'll be playing with uber or carnage since my group always has extra ammo around.

Another question I want to make sure of is, "Is the difficulty an entirely different setting than the mutator variant?" So easy-Uber would be far different that hard-uber?

Comment

Originally posted by Tourresh View Post
        Is the difficulty an entirely different setting than the mutator variant?
        Yes, those are completely separate things. As Hybrid said, the difficulty does the following:
        Alines deal more damage. Alines have more health. Mariens cause more friendly-fire damage.
        If I wanted to split hairs, I would add that everything that hurts, hurts more on higher difficulties. Falling down, running into a laser, and so on.

About the Alien variations, Carnage and Uber are coming with the game. The other ones are introduced by the Options mutator, a Space Engineers production

It gives you a lot, hmmm, well, options. Wanna know more, read here.

Comment

About the Alien variations, Carnage and Uber are coming with the game. The other ones are introduced by the Options mutator, a Space Engineers production
          Heh, the reason I asked was because I saw all the variants in that mutator (and now I can't live without it. Too much versatility and the Telic stims are an amazing idea). Never got around to unlocking the three original variants years ago so I've had no experience with them.

I'm very pleased that those two options are different. I prefer many tough or just extreme amounts of weak hitting aliens than a smaller number of instagibbing aliens. Though the chance of completing a level should be about the same if you tweak the two options enough, it's much more fun for players to fall to an unrelenting horde than explode when something pounces on you.

Comment

My entrance into the server triggers the Serious Internet Business flag.

Comment

Talking about variations, the Optionmutator also allows setting a customalien class. With that feature, you could also spawn Gimps or flies or crawler queens, in the same way as ubers are spawned.

As for single pawns, that the mapper may have placed, ie. bugs not coming from spawners, the mutator also allows replacing those, with the 'total' command.

This may seem like I am advertising the mutator, but really, I am glad if someone likes it. And says so.

Comment

Is there a list of all the names of spawnable aliens somewhere?

Comment

Well, apart from those that the mutator has as built-in variations, there aren't so many, that would make any sense to use:

AoAI.AoBuzzerPawn (the uplink flies, that don't really fly)
                  AoAI.AoCrawlerQueenPawn (the slow non-infesting giant-paras, first starring on Observation)
                  AoAI.AoInnocentbug (like in Salvage or Barracks: those were scaled very small. They don't do more than fool the player with scanner signals)

AoTelicbeta.AoAlienLeechPawn (unused thing from the Telic package)
                  AoTelicbeta.AoAlienPawn_lowperf (normal alien, 'cept that it has deathevents that eat less CPU time)
                  AoTelicbeta.AoBatPawn (Telic fly)
                  AoTelicbeta.AoAlienToughPawn (Telic gimp)

There is not much sense in using the queen-she, or elvis. These pawns need special actors, like eg. retreat points, added in the map to work right.

(EDIT: on second thought, maybe the queen CAN be used. The class is AoAI.AoQueenPawn. But to prevent her from getting confused when she is hurt, you'd need another console command: SET AoAI.AoQueenpawn NextRetreatHealth 0
                  When logged in as admin on a server, it would of course be ADMIN SET ...)

So, until other beasts have been coded, only the gimp makes sense to use.
                  Last edited by lightfoot; 5 Feb 2009, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Hey, Tourresh. If you are the admin in your server, you can tweak pretty much all mutator aspects from the .ini, including the % chance that an alien of the variation will be spawned, instead of a stardard drone etc. The link that LF gave you, explains pretty much everything. Also when you are comfortable with the mutator, try Rescue with bDoNotRequireHackingTool = false and Alien variation = 'Multiply' in Normal or Hard .
                    Antikythera mechanism
                    KISSSSSS

Comment

Working...
                    X