Loadout feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loadout feedback

Another feedback gathering thread, since the last one was pretty helpful. We're considering some changes to the loadout system and I wanted to get a quick list of people's favourite loadouts. What combinations of equipment do you particularly like? Are there special loadouts you use on specific missions? Do some missions absolutely require you bring at least X of a particular item?

I'm interested in either individual marine loadouts, or the team as a whole.

Explosives:

- Assault Shotgun
    - Ammo bag/Flamer/Grenade Launcher
    - Incendiary Mines/T75

I usually bring a grenade launcher in missions where you have to destroy databanks quickly, i.e. TE-Bunker, TE-Sabotage. T75 is useful in missions where it can be used to create a shortcut (TE-Aqueduct, TE-Fetch) or blow stuff (TE-Bunker).

Special Weapons:

- Autogun (Mustard only in Gimp-heavy missions)
    - Ammo bag/Flamer
    - Blowtorch/Flares (usually in TE-Aqueduct)

I usually give them an ammo bag unless I'm sure they won't run out of ammo during the mission.

Medic:

- Assault Rifle (Bastille)/Medpack (Faith)
    - Medpack
    - Flashlight or Headlamp (Bastille)/Pistol (Faith)

For some reason, I like Faith with akimbo pistols.

Tech:

- Pulse Rifle/Morita (with hack on)
    - Flamer/Ammo bag/Sentry case
    - Hacking tool/Sentry kit

I find the pulse rifle to be extremely useful against Gimps. Flamers are good in tight corridors (i.e. vents) and against eggs. I usually bring a sentry case or two in missions where you have to hold a position (i.e. AO-Salvage, AO-Rescue) but it can prove itself useful in TE-Saviour and especially TE-Daylight.

I rarely use the shotgun as a backup weapon. It's powerful, yes, but with such a small ammo capacity, you can't do much with it, aside from reloading all the time. If there's a weapon you ought to improve, it's that one. How about turning it into an assault shotgun lite, sans grenade launcher?

I never use hand grenades or most of Telic/EFR's advanced weaponry (Tesla, Akira, Power Belt, etc.).
    Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 21st Dec 2009, 08:32 PM.

Comment

I only concern myself with individual loadouts. This is assuming the Telic-style stims where medics automatically get 3 and everyone else gets 1 (which I believe is far superior to the classic system).

Sarge/Jaeger

Shock Trooper Style
      • Assault shotgun
      • Flamethrower (or tesla)
      • Mines (or welder, flares if mines are inappropriate)
        Good on point or as a rear guard. Use mines on infinite spawns and weapon-swap often.

Support Gunner Style
      • Assault Rifle
      • Ammo Bag (or sentry gun)
      • Flashlight
        Very generic demoman loadout when there are already many other (6+) players and the autogunners are taken. Very passive, defensive role.

Wildcat/Wolfe

Support Autogunner Style
      • Autogun
      • Ammo Bag (or sentry gun)
      • Stun Grenades
        Focus on providing support fire from an angle and shooting bugs off teammates. Usually too ammo-inefficient on point on hard/insane.

Crazy Rambo Style
      • Autogun
      • Flamethrower
      • Stun Grenades
        Take point, use flamer against swarms and swap to autogun to finish them off. Extremely ammo-efficient. Use stuns if caught by surprise or in a bad reload.

Faith/Bastille

Healer Style
      • Medical Snatchel
      • Medical Snatchel
      • Pistol (Akimbo revolver on easy/normal)
        Don't get into danger. Heal everyone. Parley. Profit.

Combat Medic Style
      • Flamethrower (low accuracy) or rifle (high accuracy)
      • Medical Snatchel
      • Open (pistol, Site-Ex, stun grenades; flashlight if taking rifle)
        Can be better for games with fewer, skilled players who won't get hurt enough to use up two snatchels.

Crash/Flynn

Tech equipment is highly variable.

P-Rifle: Standard, easy to use. Stun grenades can help in a pinch or on certain maps.
      Morita: More power, but you have to use morita hax and stun grenades won't help in a pinch (because you don't have any).

Ammo Bag: Boring choice. Decent for 6+ players or on easy/normal.
      Sentry gun: Good for some maps, and if an ammo bag won't help.
      Akira: So overpowered.
      Flamethrower: Identical idea to the autogunners' Crazy Rambo Style.

Hack tool: Some maps practically require it due to long hack times in highly dangerous situations.
      Welder: A tech usually takes it if you'll need it.
      Sentry kit: Very map-specific, but can help a lot.
      Stun grenades: If nothing else comes to mind, just go with morita and stuns.

Some maps tended to require certain things. Obviously, some of this is not from classic Alien Swarm.

Stuns / tesla to deal with gimp spiders.
      T-75 to blow up certain turrets or walls.
      Welder if there isn't one on the map and the weldable item in question isn't breachable with weapons.
      Hack tool for a low-star tech, or for particularly nasty hack rooms.
      Saving all of your mines to take down a queen in 2 seconds is cheesy, but effective.
      Under the classic stim system, the majority of the team ends up taking stims and you miss out on the other cool extra items. (I really like stun grenades, in case you didn't notice.)

Worthless items
      Shotgun. I'm not trusting my virtual marine's life to that thing.
      Shield belt. Joke item.
      Incendiary hand grenades. Stuns work way better.
      Nightvision Goggles. Sometimes they'd work properly for me (making aliens glow brightly), but they never seemed to work for anyone else.

Comment

I agree with everything Salsa posted above except that I prefer shield belt to stuns. It's up in the air as to which is more hazardous to your teammates (which, coincidentally, is where the bugs are after gettin' repulz0red).

It pretty much covered the definitive best practices as far as I've seen.

Comment

Nobody mentioned the Autogun - Pistol loadout. It can save your ass especially when playing on higher difficulties with low movement stars.
          And I also like the Morita - Flashlight combo when playing as tech.
          "All your bugs are belong to us"

Comment

Pretty boring, but these are my first choices for most maps under normal circumstances.

Demo: Assault Shotgun / Flamer / Mines

Spec. Weaps : AG / Ammo / Pistol

Tech: P-Rifle / Sentry / Sentry Kit (I usually only take Akira on EFR)

Medic: Med / Med / Pistol or Tesla / Med / Pistol or Sentry / Med / Pistol

The best thing about the loadout in AS is the support items like med satchel, sentry and ammo. Being able to swap things around mid map, give ammo, trade weapons is part of what makes it so fun I think.

Being able to ferry a hacktool while the hacker brings the sentry kit is a great example.

My other fave loadout for any class is Ammo / Sentry / Pistol.

Unorthodox (plain stupid) loadouts should be kept.
            Kept an xmas avatar for 3 year(s).

Comment

One thing I never liked was the rifle

It seems like it should be the most balanced weapon, and good for new players since it's quite forgiving on the FF. (Also if your a fan of Aliens, it should be the most common weapon)

But most new players who take the rifle on it's own will die because they can't hit anything, or when they do hit it, not do enough damage to kill things in time. New players don't tend to circle strafe and aim along an axis, and so run backwards firing wildly.

Instead they will be made to take the boring extra of a flashlight. Or they will chose a more 'advanced' weapon like a flamer or shotgun, and we all know how that story ends.

If the rifle auto aimed as well as the P-Rifle, but just had grenades instead that would be better.

Also the Hacker / Demo man have the best toys.

Thinking about it Medic aren't fun for new players
              They are usually made to take 2 satchels and a Pistol. Not very exciting.

They don't have interesting equipment anyway, the only thing they get is the med satchel/ gas / or bast's pistol.

They get blamed if they don't heal in time, or end up dying because they can't defend themselves.

While I enjoy that support aspect, just following everyone and having to heal people can get pretty boring.

If there was medic related objectives(hacks for lack of a better word) like heal Williams broken leg, or analyze medical info etc. that might make it more interesting.

Remove parasite mini-game. Yeah...

(A guy can dream, can't he?)
              Last edited by westy; 22nd Dec 2009, 06:38 AM. Reason: typos etc.

Comment

I noticed in some of the AS:I screenshots that the medics portraits had symbols next to them i can only assume are how many heals are remainin, and since we have presumably still got inventory shouts, i though that this feature will perhaps lead to "ill die in 1 hit, i can see you have meds, heal me or i kill you." - I know this isnt really a loadout issue, but its just something that interested me.

For demo man i like to take ASG/Sentry/Mines if i am not sure what i will need to do, and if i am low on stars(movement/acc) and the game is on insane i take 2 ASG to avoid reloadkills(including where you are at 00 and will die if you dont reload).

I would also like med pack to continue to not be a compulsary medic item.
                Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Originally posted by Ki!ler-Mk1 View Post
                  I would also like med pack to continue to not be a compulsary medic item.
                  Yes, no items should be compulsory, for any class.

(Having a small 2-3 heal med satchel as an extra wouldn't hurt thou )

Comment

Loadout as a TEAM

Its annoying when everyone brings a flamer, or you have 4 ammo bags and no sentries.

Limiting the number of each item might not work, I'm thinking about arguments like who takes the Tesla, if its' already equipped.

Maybe just big red text that says YOU HAVE TOO MUCH AMMO.

Maybe the leader/squad commander should be able to modify peoples loadouts? Would that work without argument? Maybe only be able to modify it if the equipment exceeds set limits like if the team has 4 flamers, the leader can change what people have.

Map Specific Loadouts

Being able to start a mission without a hacktool / t75 sucks ass. So annoying especially when you get so far to find you can't complete the map. Thou making equipment compulsory kinda sucks.

Any equipment that you need to beat a map should be on the map, but hard to get to, like having to do extra work to find the welder if you didn't bring one.

All maps should be beatable without a hacker by way of hacktool/alternate root etc. It should just be harder

Yeah I like the maps that can be beaten with any crazy load out that people care to bring. Even if it does end up being harder.

"Should I bring the hacktool, or is a sentry kit / pistol going to be more important for this map / team ?") is more fun than "It's oh it's this map, looks like I'm bringing X/Y/Z."

Edit:

Thou thinking about it, crazy arguments do take up a lot of time in the briefing room. Maybe some sort of colored coded chart thingy that says things like
                    you need more / less ammo,
                    more meds are advised for this map,
                    there is a hack on this map so bringing a hacktool / hacker is recommended.

Some of them could be generic. Everyone bringing the same thing is generally bad. An ammobag-to-player ratio sorta thing. Other like hacktool could be map specific .

Or recommend sentries if there is a hold out at the end.

Then colour it red /orange / green so people would understand how good/balanced the load out is for the map, even if they haven't played it.

Of course people can still choose to ignore it
                    Last edited by westy; 22nd Dec 2009, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Wouldn't it be better to let the hackers hack without a hack tool but at something like 25% normal speed?
                      One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                      -
                      The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Thats actually how it works in ASw, they can hack without a tool but twice as fast with one.

Other classes using a hacktool still hack slower than a hacker without a tool.

Comment

Originally posted by westy View Post
                          All maps should be beatable without a hacker by way of hacktool/alternate root etc. It should just be harder
                          Ive got just the thing for that.

Is this thread intended to determine default loadouts aswell as gathering preferences?

How many telic weapons are in AS:I again, i forgot?

Originally posted by Dalai View Post
                          I'm interested in either individual marine loadouts, or the team as a whole.
                          Is multiplayer being treated as the same as single player?
                          Last edited by Ki!ler-Mk1; 22nd Dec 2009, 03:10 PM.
                          Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

One thing I never liked was the rifle

It seems like it should be the most balanced weapon, and good for new players since it's quite forgiving on the FF. (Also if your a fan of Aliens, it should be the most common weapon)

But most new players who take the rifle on it's own will die because they can't hit anything, or when they do hit it, not do enough damage to kill things in time. New players don't tend to circle strafe and aim along an axis, and so run backwards firing wildly.
                            Interesting point. Even with a flashlight, it was terrible.
                            "Spera: Ooh! Ooh! You hear that? A bird singing out amidst our desolation. It's a miracle. The miracle called supper."

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering

Comment

I thought it was that way but the way everyone was talking about not being able to do some of the levels without a tool I thought I'd missed a change.
                              One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                              -
                              The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Working...
                              X