Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So many questions

Okay, I have a few questions:

1. So this is a multiplayer game, right? So what happens if there are multiple people playing? Do they have a squad of their own, or can they have a function within the squad that is already has a player leader?

2. And if they have just a squad of their own, then just about everyone has squad members that have the same names then, right?

3. Eventually will there be patches or versions where there are more marine variety to choose from?

I've looked through the whole website, and these questions have been milling around in my head for some time. Its just that some subjects are kind of ambigious when it comes to some of the explainations or there is none. I'm not trying to get on anyone's back or poke at anyone, I just wanna know how it's going to work out.
    "He said he didn't trust me, so I killed him."--Hidden_Wolfe

1. each map has an amount of playerstarts. each player will have an amount of marines he can control (if there are less players than playerstarts of course). there's no 'leader' - every player can control his little 'squad'
    2. all the marines have different names and skills
    3. we can't answer this question at the moment. but Alien Swarm isn't like Ages of Empire where you can control LOADS of soldiers. there's a small amount of marines to choose from. we'll try to give each of them a different character and hope that the players will relate to them. they're not cannon fodder

Comment

Originally posted by solaris
      1. each map has an amount of playerstarts. each player will have an amount of marines he can control (if there are less players than playerstarts of course). there's no 'leader' - every player can control his little 'squad'
      3. we can't answer this question at the moment. but Alien Swarm isn't like Ages of Empire where you can control LOADS of soldiers. there's a small amount of marines to choose from. we'll try to give each of them a different character and hope that the players will relate to them. they're not cannon fodder
      hehe i remember i walked through Cannon Fodder with Jools and Joops alive and a big queue to the recruit HQ. I will pwn Alien Swarm
      In the Future, One Duck Is The Law.

Comment

But, from what it looks like every squad has you, plus 3 other marines, right? So some squads are going to have the same person, like say my squad has Jaeger then there's a good chance that some of the other squads will have Jaeger as well. Am I right? I'm just trying figure out how the games going to be like, that's all.

Comment

I think if you play online, all players belong to the same squad. Not like every player has a squad of three AIs with him.
          Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Think Baldurs Gate.
            Every player controls some of the AI's.
            Wasn't this posted in some other thread?...

Comment

Like Thiefs vs. Guards, where players are guards and the thieves just keep coming!

Taffrush! KEKEKEKE! -=^_^=-

(non-factional information)
              Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

ok, maybe it wasn't as clear as i hoped it would be:
                there're some marines, each of them having a different name.
                you and your friend start an online game.
                you pick some marines.
                you can't pick marines that your friend has already selected.

Comment

I think alien swarm looks a bit like Natural Selection or?
                  "Blockheads never learn, Clever learn by his own mistakes, Intelligents learn by mistakes of others."

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
                    I think alien swarm looks a bit like Natural Selection or?
                    Maybe because it has aliens too?...
                    The gameplay however is anything but NS.

Comment

ok, maybe it wasn't as clear as i hoped it would be:
                      there're some marines, each of them having a different name.
                      you and your friend start an online game.
                      you pick some marines.
                      you can't pick marines that your friend has already selected.
                      Aha :_(
                      i think its like NS, first person with one commander...

All player play a A.I. team with no firstperson ?
                      www.Ravenshielded.de.vu
                      www.sstmod.de.vu

Comment

Alright, I see how its supposed to work, that makes a lot of sense. So instead having players AND AI its just one group and all players if need be. That would give the game a more survival feeling then. I'm guessing this would be much better than what I had in mind where all the marines on the maps are the whole TUT community +3 each. That would have been a little unneeded especially with with only a handful of AI names,

Garrett says, "Hey Garrett, what's up?", "Nothing much Garrett, how are you?" replies Garrett.

Comment

Maybe there will be a renaming feature, for all the marines, you know? You'll still have the same "people" with the same stats and skills, but one team contains Ace, Ice, and Dice, while the other contains identical twins named Garrett, Benny, and Trickster. {end speculation\idea}

Though from what it sounds like, there's just going to be one or two teams, and say, if there are 5 people on each time, and 10 players total, then you'll have 2 "squads" but anyone can technically do whatever they want, and be named their normal names, yes? It's just multiplayer Crimsonland!

If you haven't played Crimsonland, I suggest you do so

Comment

Great lookin' game.

Couple a' questions:

1) When will mappers gain access to mapping info on this game?

2) Is the game consistantly viewed from 'above' (90)? There's no 1st person aspect? Can viewing angles change from 90 degrees to 45 or anything between 0 and 90?
                            ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

Originally posted by Flack
                              hehe i remember i walked through Cannon Fodder with Jools and Joops alive and a big queue to the recruit HQ. I will pwn Alien Swarm
                              Hohoho, if it'll look like Cannon Fodder, this game will be an instant classic!

War has never been sooo much fuuuunnn!

Comment

Working...
                              X