X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post reviews of Alien Swarm v1 here!

Just completed the Tutorial mission.

Comments:
    Excellent quality level design and detail.
    Great interface.
    Amazingly cool little scripted sequences.
    Great tutorial that really gives a lot of info and instruction.
    Surprises!
    Unlockables!
    Medals!
    Totally awesome. Very polished feel for a 3rd party mod.
    Can't wait to try the campaign and multiplayer.

One curiosity, more about UT2k4 in general than this mod specifically:
    Control setup is so limited in UT2k4 - you are forced to set up keys for every mod out of one set of the keys. So you can't have a key do one thing for regular UT2k4, another thing for Alien Swarm, and another thing in another mod. This highly limits the amount of mods you can have installed and play at once with different controls.

Thanks for the nice comments!

AlienSwarm uses its own User.ini, so any key setting changes you make will not affect UT2k4 or any other mod.

Comment

*whines* Hurry up, you stupid download!

Edit: Let's just say that I'm probably the only one that set Crash and Faith on fire in the tutorial.
      Last edited by Hybrid; 28 May 2004, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Salsa, tell me when your online, and buddy me. My UT Nick is The_Creator

Edit: To stay on topic, I'll review after I get my Salsafication.
        Salsa: The Z axis is the Acromaster's domain

Comment

This has got to be one of the greatest mod's iv'e ever played. I just got slaughtered and it was brilliant. Love it, love it, love it, love it, love it.

Comment

So far so good, played the tutorial and was just blown away, went online played reactor core got totally lost but loved it.

One problem thou, I was spectating cause the server had 10 slots even though theres not that many guys.

I dont know if the person playing sarge left or crashed or what but my name came up on sarge while he stood stock still and with me still in Spectator mode with no control over him.

Had to leave the server and reconnect.

Comment

Level 2 gets very hard. I keep running into things that say they require Tech level or something like that... none of the four I chose to take have the necessary ability and so I guess I will do it over.

Also the unlimited spawning baddies is a bit frustrating since it forces speed when I'd like to take it slow. I guess that's a good thing since it keeps the game's pace up, but as the player I like to take my time :p

Comment

Originally posted by JRock
                Level 2 gets very hard. I keep running into things that say they require Tech level or something like that... none of the four I chose to take have the necessary ability and so I guess I will do it over.

Also the unlimited spawning baddies is a bit frustrating since it forces speed when I'd like to take it slow. I guess that's a good thing since it keeps the game's pace up, but as the player I like to take my time :p
                Just blow the door that needs hacking away then.
                If you reallllly need a tech guy, you can't start the mission without one.

Comment

Like:
                  -Graphics are great
                  -Level Design is also great
                  -Weapons are pretty fun
                  -Gameplay is pretty unique, it reminds me of a sci-fi Super Smash TV without the cheesy announcer (I love Smash TV)

Dislike:
                  -Parasites! Too small to see. It took 3-4 games to figure out that medics can remove parasites after I was told that you can't remove them
                  -Overly dark: I know it adds to the atmosphere and all but if you can't see anything without sacrificing a slot for a flashlight that doesn't really help a lot more then it gets too hard to see what is going on. Since this mod is going to be compared to Natural Selection for Half-Life why not take some notes from them. It is still dark in their levels but you can still see what is going on most of the time. I even tried to crank my gamma up on my monitor to play AS and I still couldn't see a whole lot more.
                  -Friendly Fire: is it in the game? Too many times have my team mates or I accidentally hit someone with a shotgun blast, or started them on fire. A single shotgun blast can take out 2 team mates at medium range! At Full health and not being near a medic it takes you to about 1/8th your full life after you stop burning which then you can easily be slaughtered by one of those annoying flys!

Other than those little things I really enjoy it and I look forward to playing it some more after I get off of work tonight or more tomorrow.

Good job guys.

Comment

So far, I've been left with a very positive impression. Graphics are great, gameplay seems quite smooth, and fun.

However, there are some faults, which a lot of other people seem to be echoing:

1) Too dark. A bit of darkness adds ambiance, too much becomes annoying and makes it hard to play. I can understand the occasional dark room/area, but nearly pitch black everywhere... too much.

2) Flashlights are useless. They don't actually make anything brighter. If an alien runs in front of one it just is a shadow. Flashlights should actually cast light sources Like the effect of a welder, but directed

3) Medkits need to be bumped up from 5 uses to at least 10. Even when you load up a medic with 2 medkits, you run out halfway through the mission.

4) The sentry gun isn't very useful. You lug the thing around for a whole level and only find maybe one spot to use it. In rescue, the only point it could be used was on the cargo lift, every other time you're on the move.

5) Infinite spawns for the aliens are bloody annoying... there should be a way to either shut them down, or for them to have a set limit that they will spawn.

6) Frankly, its too hard. I was playing a game with, I believe, about 5-6 other people. We played Rescue 10+ times over and over, each time dieing before or at the cargo lift. Perhaps it's because of the first five faults I listed, but this was on EASY mode.

EDIT: Another fault, friendly fire is crazy. In the game I played, after 5 minutes we decided nobody should get shotguns because they'd just end up killing several team members.

Comment

Originally posted by guspaz
                      6) Frankly, its too hard. I was playing a game with, I believe, about 5-6 other people. We played Rescue 10+ times over and over, each time dieing before or at the cargo lift. Perhaps it's because of the first five faults I listed, but this was on EASY mode.
                      *cough*TEAMWORK*cough*

Shotguns are fun, just make sure youre the guy in front...

Anyway:

I had to bump the gamma waaay up to see in normal areas (places w/o lights dont have them for a reason, and that's fine).

It's a bit disorienting if you don't know where you have to go.

Everything else is absolutely fking amazing.

Comment

i like the dark, the dark is good.

Comment

Originally posted by guspaz
                          1) Too dark. A bit of darkness adds ambiance, too much becomes annoying and makes it hard to play. I can understand the occasional dark room/area, but nearly pitch black everywhere... too much.
                          Grank up the gamme till you lik it, or bring along some more flashlights and flares.

2) Flashlights are useless. They don't actually make anything brighter. If an alien runs in front of one it just is a shadow. Flashlights should actually cast light sources Like the effect of a welder, but directed
                          Flashlights also gives rifles a bit of autoaim at bugs infront of you, making it very effectiv if your using a rifle.

3) Medkits need to be bumped up from 5 uses to at least 10. Even when you load up a medic with 2 medkits, you run out halfway through the mission.
                          Stay away from the bugs then. :p

4) The sentry gun isn't very useful. You lug the thing around for a whole level and only find maybe one spot to use it. In rescue, the only point it could be used was on the cargo lift, every other time you're on the move.
                          It is very useful if you place it in some smart location in the maps...
                          It especially helps in areas where you experience your next problem:

5) Infinite spawns for the aliens are bloody annoying... there should be a way to either shut them down, or for them to have a set limit that they will spawn.
                          Most are limited, just contains alot of bugs...

It's hard, yes... But on the other hand, would it be better if you were able to roam through the maps at the first or second try? Once you complete a map, you really feel like you accomplished something!

EDIT: Another fault, friendly fire is crazy. In the game I played, after 5 minutes we decided nobody should get shotguns because they'd just end up killing several team members
                          Move in formation, and don't fire into the group of people... Just make damn sure a bug doesn't get in between you.

Comment

I guess I'll be bumping up the gamma. The point is I shouldn't have to.

Yes, formation and better organization helps with the shotgun. Except it's a one-hit-kill against a teammate. The last game we had them, one guy killed two of us... I don't know about the other guy he killed, but I had FULL HEALTH, and one shot from him killed me entirely.

Comment

I personally like it dark because it forces me to use flashlights and flares which would otherwise be pointless additions to the inventory.

However infinite spawns I REALLY think needs to be addressed. I have no problem with fighting off 50 aliens, knowing it WILL at some point end. But unlimited just isn't cool when ammo IS limited and rarely if ever do you come across ammo pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X