MP Suggestion: Reserving chars so no one else takes them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP Suggestion: Reserving chars so no one else takes them

You know how after completing missions (or restarting) in a campaign there's a person that died or a new person joined the game? Well what annoys me is when one of those people load the game FAST and pick SOMEONE ELSE'S marine (especially if it has more stats). The person who had their marine 'stolen' will either have to spectate, 'steal' someone else's marine, pick an inactive one w/ no extra stats (which would really suck in tough missions), or leave.

What im suggesting is that you let players continue using the marine they were previously using and prevent other players from picking it UNTIL: The player leaves the server, picks an inactive marine, or allows other players to pick their character (they wouldn't care if someone takes it or not), or is idle for an X amount of time.
    Good
    82.14%
    Bad
    17.86%
    Last edited by DarkLurker; 29 May 2004, 04:44 PM.

I agree, it does suck if ur building up a marine and u are forced to switch n then u have to nick someone elses marine! :/
    www.utskills.com
    #Swarm.Pickup on irc.quakenet.org -=Official Alien Swarm Pickup Channel Powerd by Multiplay.co.uk=-
    #UTSkills on irc.quakenet.org

Comment

I agree, it does suck if ur building up a marine and u are forced to switch n then u have to nick someone elses marine! :/
      www.utskills.com
      #Swarm.Pickup on irc.quakenet.org -=Official Alien Swarm Pickup Channel Powerd by Multiplay.co.uk=-
      #UTSkills on irc.quakenet.org

Comment

Got to agree here. It's supposed to be a team game, but we all know not everyone likes to play nice and fair.

Comment

Yer it should us the same method as UTPG this tags the character to the CD-Key Hash of the client. That way u can always reconnect back as ur character
          Multiplay Clanservers
          [email protected]

Comment

Or just don't play with wankers.
            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I've only played Alien Swarm with my friend over the lan but this sounds like a great idea.
              "Small phones, short skirts and compact cars are all the rave these days; someday, the small penis will be in style and then YOU will be the man."

Comment

I agree halfway. It's not useful to the team if someone doesn't want to heal when they pick the medic or take the front with the shot- or autogun, but no one should limit themselves to one marine, really.

Go for some variety, regardless of stats!

Comment

Originally posted by Salsa
                  I agree halfway. It's not useful to the team if someone doesn't want to heal when they pick the medic or take the front with the shot- or autogun, but no one should limit themselves to one marine, really.

Go for some variety, regardless of stats!
                  Well you could still change characters if there are any available, but it also wouldn't be useful for the team if "Player A" is pissed off at "Player B" for taking a marine that he wanted to continue to play as. With this suggestion you wouldn't have to worry about the stealing, and if you want variety when there are no available marines, then two players could agree to switch marines.

Originally posted by DarkBill
                  Or just don't play with wankers.
                  Yeah that would work... if only there were more servers for us to join

Comment

How many coop games do you know of that is played regularly online`?

None or very few, since these games require teamwork and coordination... Playing with random people is bound to get messy.

Comment

that would b a good idea its so stupid when someone else takes my marine just b/c i have a longer loading time

To Killing: i think he meant this as a temporary thing

Comment

Yer but wouldnt it be cool to be able to keep characters perminantly on the server that you got when u connected just like UT RPG does
                        Last edited by Killing; 29 May 2004, 11:31 PM.
                        Multiplay Clanservers
                        [email protected]

Comment

How about assigning marines to a player instead of assigning players to a marine?

Who knows? maybe having two teams of two marines, being the marines on each team wildcat and wolfe could be fun!

Or a customizable caracter, too.

One thing that can be done is to have a log file (Like in RPG UT2k4) that keeps track of how many points have you earned(This could create an online career )

Comment

Even a central location DB of characters would be cool IMO.
                            Multiplay Clanservers
                            [email protected]

Comment

I say introduce voting; if someone jumps in and takes someones built-up character, let everyone else vote him off that character, or the orginal user gets voted *IN*. Solved.

Comment

Working...
                              X